It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:56

Page 8 of 14 [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: To Heart HMX-12 "Multi" (VOLKS Dollfie Series)
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 22:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

HA, bans on an anime forum for having the wrong opinion. That seems....harsh...

Macross is one of the few anime franchises I do collect toys and such for. The other two are City Hunter and Lupin.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 16:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
OK so did you get the mech ears fixed or you still need to do that??
I read early on but don't see any pictures so I assume that you didn't get them done yet.

long since. i've limited plastic-bashing skills, despite being an fairly avid Japanese-Mecha (Robot) modeler
for a good 25 years now, so this was the best i managed.

probably would have looked much better, had i used plastic modellers' putty to fill in the gouges in the antenna tips,
and complete lacking skill in utilizing the stuff, i wanted to take as few risks as possible with the only set of these antennae
that i may ever get the chance to have;

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 10:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Why are the tips pink and rounded? I don't think the source design has that?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 21:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

that was just about the best i could manage, with my limited plastic-model-modification skills.

it ain't perfect, and i had to paint it in with something, and, while it could have easily been a gloss or flat white,
i decided to opt instead for a look that echoes that of another, somewhat better-known, "Earless" Android Anime girl;

http://chobit.wikia.com/wiki/Chii(Elda)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 16:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

these two get along quite well, despite being from very different grades;

Post subject: Mikuru Asahina in the "ToHeart 2" universe...
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2018, 16:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

with this lovely Japanese Schoolgirl Sailor Suit, appropriated and modified from my recently acquired KOTOBUKIYA ToHeart 2 'Tamaki Kousaka" 1/6 doll,
my Sweet Angel Mikuru looks as if she could have stepped straight out of the "ToHeart" Visual Novel/Anime continuity;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Heart_2

http://to-heart.wikia.com/wiki/Tamaki_Kousaka

http://to-heart.wikia.com/wiki/Manaka_Komaki

Post subject: Re: Mikuru Asahina in the "ToHeart 2" universe...
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 08:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

loose socks version :thumbup: 8-)

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2018, 16:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

new, pure white cotton stockings for Multi, to replace her aging, yellowing original pair.

not at all accurate to the look depicted in the Anime, but oh-so-very-cute even so;

Post subject: Re: Mikuru Asahina in the "ToHeart 2" universe...
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2018, 16:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

yeah, i've always been very fond of Japanese Schoolgirl loose socks style.
it really is an adorable look, however much of a Rebellious, "Illegal" modification to every school's uniform code
that it was very much considered to be, back in its 1990's heyday, at least.

plus, as a bonus, they tend to offset the spindly, "ostrich-legged" look of Mikuru's older OBITSU brand doll body,
so there is always that...

Post subject: MACROSS VF-1J BANDAI DX CHOGOKIN 1/48 scale
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 19:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

to quote "Parker" from the movie ALIEN; "It's... -I Don't Know- It's just... BIG!!"

it is, without question, the VF-1 toy i've been waiting my life for. it's proportions are PERFECT. IN ALL THREE MODES.

oh, and WHAT A SATISFYING HEFT. that leg weight, supported by such a spindly hip bar assembly,
seems disturbingly delicate, but the metal throughout seems of top quality. hell, the metal feet are resonant, and ring when struck.

only time will tell, of course, but the quality seems positively peerless,
easily the closest to the rugged, reassuring quality of the TAKATOKU/BANDAI 1/55 Chunky any modern VF-1 toy has ever come, and, perhaps, ever will.

i don't know how BANDAI did it, but they certainly did, and how.
the proof of miracles is sitting right here, staring me straight in the face...

Post subject: Re: MACROSS VF-1J BANDAI DX CHOGOKIN 1/48 scale
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 21:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s nice but...those hands. I just can’t get over the thin little 12 string guitar playing fingers on new VFs. Other than that it’s very nice.

I guess since most of my Macross fandom has been in the models I don’t really care about transforming. Fixed pose resin is actually prefered by me these days.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 21:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

For some reason the Macross toys by Takatoku were OK the Orguss toys were total POS.
They were about 2-4 years old when I was picking them up in NYC and pulling them out of the box would just fall apart.
It was like the plastic was made to crumble.

The best build were the Bandai releases when the movie came out.

But boy I don't miss that time when I had a Gardian Japanese original in the box and when I pulled it out after 20 years BANG the head came off and I lost
300 bucks when I sold it since it was now broken.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019, 22:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah. That old plastic. It’s almost random what breaks. Some toy will just have extremely shatter-prone...lower arms or something. And then every one you find has the same issue unless it was reissued. Black Zarack has this issue really bad. I wouldn’t buy one for more than $100 because if it isn’t broke you’ll break it for sure transforming it or maybe even just taking it out of the box.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 01:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It looks quite nice. Thanks for sharing.

I looked up the price and gulped. It is at this time commanding well above retail, I hope you got it for retail at least.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 04:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Dang, yeah, you’re right. I payed less than $200 for the SoC Golion and this is apparently similarly priced despite being much smaller and not having a gigantic sword or a miniature building to hold all his weapons.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 05:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

This whole market is a lot more expensive than it was 7 or so years ago, maybe even just a few years. I get that things generally get more expensive with time, but it appears to me to be more than just accounting for inflation. Probably a boost in popularity and/or they guessed right that they could squeeze out more from the people that are really interested. Figures that launched at 9800 yen 7 years ago would probably be in the 12-15k yen range now. If something is popular enough it can get re-issued, usually at a cheaper price point but I never count on that if it's a figure I really want. Some companies are a lot better than others in terms of quality as well as the price for what you get. I wouldn't buy anything put out by Pulchra, for example. Alter is really good, Gift and Vertex are solid. I've got a couple on pre-order from manufacturers I've never ordered from before, but it's not like you really get a choice when you want a male figure from a mid 90s IP. On the bright side they have put out over a thousand figures and don't have a bad reputation, so it should be fine.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 08:27 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Scale modeling is like that too. Many new Tamiya 1/24 plastic kits come out at like $70 or even $90 now if its a Ferrari or some other bullish make that generates half its revenue from licensing. You can still buy the complete die cast Burago version for like $40 so...I seriously don't get it. Then they put out a licensed *paint* they know you 'll want that's $15! Meanwhile that same 1/24 Monte Carlo Mini Cooper 1275S they've been selling for 30 years is only $18 and its amazing. Plamo is cheap as hell to manufacture. When I was a kid a VF kit was $1. Literally $1. Granted, they *sucked* but that's not the point. The point is they made so many of those models for so cheap that even my scrubby 10 year old a** could afford them and people are still building those same kits today. Now $200 MG Gundam are flying off the shelves. I make OK money but I'm way too cheap to buy some of this stuff I guess. Also I'm not attracted to most of the "technology" in new stuff that basically makes it that so you don't have to build quite as hard as you used to. I sure as hell couldn't afford that when I was a kid. I'd be playing free iPhone games or something probably. Hobbies stores are just expensive as hell now.

Tamiya Mini 4WD is still cheap. Model rockets too.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 17:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

no, this puppy was not cheap. but since it is pretty much the penultimate transforming replica
of my favorite variant of my most favorite Anime Mecha design of all time,
it was worth every last penny to me...

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 17:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Scale modeling is like that too. Many new Tamiya 1/24 plastic kits come out at like $70 or even $90 now if its a Ferrari or some other bullish make that generates half its revenue from licensing. You can still buy the complete die cast Burago version for like $40 so...I seriously don't get it. Then they put out a licensed *paint* they know you 'll want that's $15! Meanwhile that same 1/24 Monte Carlo Mini Cooper 1275S they've been selling for 30 years is only $18 and its amazing. Plamo is cheap as hell to manufacture. When I was a kid a VF kit was $1. Literally $1. Granted, they *sucked* but that's not the point. The point is they made so many of those models for so cheap that even my scrubby 10 year old a** could afford them and people are still building those same kits today. Now $200 MG Gundam are flying off the shelves. I make OK money but I'm way too cheap to buy some of this stuff I guess. Also I'm not attracted to most of the "technology" in new stuff that basically makes it that so you don't have to build quite as hard as you used to. I sure as hell couldn't afford that when I was a kid. I'd be playing free iPhone games or something probably. Hobbies stores are just expensive as hell now.

Tamiya Mini 4WD is still cheap. Model rockets too.

Laughed at licensed paint. A friend of mine that is into painting models mentioned paint costs really went up awhile back unless you dig around.

I love Gundam and I wouldn't pay $200 for a Gundam model kit. The same hobby store that has been around forever is still in business here. The prices are all full retail and insane.

My limit for anything is around $150, and there really hasn't been anything that really tested my resolve.

tasuke wrote:
no, this puppy was not cheap. but since it is pretty much the penultimate transforming replica
of my favorite variant of my most favorite Anime Mecha design of all time,
it was worth every last penny to me...

I was wondering if you got it for retail via pre-order. That was 18000 yen.

Edit: I would say it's hard to blame the companies for the prices when well-made figures for popular franchises frequently end up going for more than MSRP because they don't meet demand.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 20:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nah, i missed the annoyingly limited retail pre-order on it, so i had to bite the flipper bullet at $320shipped from Japan.

fortunately, i came into some X-mas and early B-day funds from family, and that helped to greatly offset the cost...

Page 8 of 14 [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next