It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:04

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Laseractive-Top Hat Gaming Man
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 03:08 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

here it is covered by Top Hat Gaming Man which covers some of the Laserdisc and Pioneer history as well as talking about the Sega and NEC pacs

Post subject: Re: Laseractive-Top Hat Gaming Man
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 04:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thanks for posting that video.
While I hate to say it I've never actually searched up video of the laseractive games playing before.

Very good for the time.
The one driving game sort of reminds me of those old 70s arcade machines where you would move your car that looked like a matchbox in front of moving film image.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 06:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Its really a sad waste of space, that thing. I wish I liked it. I was going to buy one from a friend once and he leant it to me for quite some time to try it out and I eventually told him to sell it to someone else. It just doesn't have a real use. Almost none of the games are fun at all and the cheapest of them are $100. If it had Dragon's Lair or Space Ace it would be worth it for that alone but the best LD game it has is probably Road Prosecutor or Time Gal and TG is like $2000 these days. Its also the cheapest deck there is on the LD side (I think it has S201 parts). The modules themselves are quite overbuilt, which is weird, but ended up succumbing to 90s capacitor plague so not only is the system expensive AND the games suck AND the games are expensive AND the LD side stinks but it ALSO will probably need preventative maintenance the minute you find one because of the LD side isn't frozen up from lack of use then its worn out from having too many hours on it and if you don't recap the POS the modules will eat themselves to death inside their sweat metal cases.

Its one of those things a lot of people used to own before they sold it on to the next guy and that was four owners ago and still nobody has had fun with it yet except for once when one of the owners watched Speed on it that time on his birthday when everyone was high.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 20:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Its really a sad waste of space, that thing. I wish I liked it. I was going to buy one from a friend once and he leant it to me for quite some time to try it out and I eventually told him to sell it to someone else. It just doesn't have a real use. Almost none of the games are fun at all and the cheapest of them are $100. If it had Dragon's Lair or Space Ace it would be worth it for that alone but the best LD game it has is probably Road Prosecutor or Time Gal and TG is like $2000 these days. Its also the cheapest deck there is on the LD side (I think it has S201 parts). The modules themselves are quite overbuilt, which is weird, but ended up succumbing to 90s capacitor plague so not only is the system expensive AND the games suck AND the games are expensive AND the LD side stinks but it ALSO will probably need preventative maintenance the minute you find one because of the LD side isn't frozen up from lack of use then its worn out from having too many hours on it and if you don't recap the POS the modules will eat themselves to death inside their sweat metal cases.

Its one of those things a lot of people used to own before they sold it on to the next guy and that was four owners ago and still nobody has had fun with it yet except for once when one of the owners watched Speed on it that time on his birthday when everyone was high.

I can always count on you to come with an appropriate colorful description of things :mrgreen: Do you have any experience with LV-ROM games for the MSX?

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 21:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

But he is so right.

This player came out in 1993, this was 4 years after we bought a 3070 and couldn't justify buying another LD player when the 3070 at the time was way beyond this player.

Price, availability and games are why it tanked.
Also no game stores in NYC even carried this but they did have the Neo Geo at the time, so price was not an issue.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 21:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
But he is so right.

This player came out in 1993, this was 4 years after we bought a 3070 and couldn't justify buying another LD player when the 3070 at the time was way beyond this player.

Price, availability and games are why it tanked.
Also no game stores in NYC even carried this but they did have the Neo Geo at the time, so price was not an issue.

The Neo Geo is like the opposite of Laseractive. Whereas every Neo game is at least a little fun in some way and is often very fun, every Laseractive game is at least a little sucky in some way and in most cases is totally sucky.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 21:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The worthy titles like Time Gal are effectively emulated as well, using a rip from the Laseractive LD I believe (the arcade disk/board may as well not exist, its so rare).

The best use I have ever seen for a LaserActive was for the guts of this stunning recreation of the Time Gal arcade cab by someone over on the KLOV forums. They recreated the Taito cab from scratch, made the art as well just based on pics, and I think they were able to somehow get a genuine control panel from Japan. That's pretty much the only way to get that rarest of LD arcade games at this point.

Attachments:
tgal.jpg
tgal.jpg [ 119.71 KiB | Viewed 2789 times ]

Last edited by harlock on 27 Nov 2018, 23:21, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 21:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I used to make control panels, get some plexi and a hole saw, make the measurements and you have a nice panel.

2 layers with stickers or cutouts and you can have your controls say FIRE or whatever you wanted.

But still a nice job.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 21:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I wonder if there are any Time Gal arcades games surviving? With the space premium in Japan, and being a western style upright instead of the usual JP style sit downs, they would not have even been that good for conversion back in the day. Probably the highest dollar laser game should one turn up. The only pics you find online are ancient or from the flyer.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 21:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm sure there are, I think I saw a golgo13 for sale once when I was doing the games, or it could have been the pics on KLOV?
But freight on that would have been crazy.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 12:39 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Quirky system but not one we would get rid of.

Probably like the UK, there wouldn’t be too many down here in Australia.

There are different versions of the sega and pc-engine pacs to collect plus the illusive pc pac with remote and software.

Sadly only 30 odd games :(

Prices are just ridiculous!

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 16:52 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I did see this video just a few days after it was posted. Thought it was pretty interesting that Sega was interested in an LD machine before they made the Sega CD.

I did at one time consider getting a LaserActive way back when. Saw a kiosk for it at a Radio Shack in Chicago while I was on liberty from Basic Training after I joined the Navy. At first it made sense as I already had a Turbo Duo with many games. And my sisters had a Genesis. If I got a LaserActive I could just get the Sega and NEC "packs" for it then give the Duo to my sisters and we could all share games. And I would also have an LD player, something I was interested in ever since I read about Aliens: Special Edition on LD (in a Turbo Duo video game magazine of all places!)

Then I realized that the LA was more expensive than a standard LD player (this was before I found out how true "you get what you pay for" quip was for LD players) and the Genesis pack was more expensive than just buying the console itself (without the Sega CD attachment, but at the time most of the Sega CD games were a bunch of crappy FMV games--well before Working Designs started porting over some of the more interesting Japanese titles to the system.)

So it just remained a neat item I would like to have but just didn't make sense to get.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 09:09 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Thought I’d add a quick pic of some of the pacs to this thread :)

Attachment:
74105A2C-22AC-48CD-A67B-0AE3BEF2B9A2.jpeg
74105A2C-22AC-48CD-A67B-0AE3BEF2B9A2.jpeg [ 90.74 KiB | Viewed 2647 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 17:54 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Wow, a US Turbo Duo pac! Never actually seen one of those!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]