It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:21

Page 18 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2018, 21:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
gypsy wrote:
First order arrived today.

i was going to pick up "HE IS MY MASTER" as well, but ran out of allotted budget.

hopefully it will still be available at the blowout price next month, since i was considering picking it up then,
along with SPACE ADVENTURE COBRA and a few others that i couldn't quite work into my first order...

I was thinking of doing another order but didn't want to get to $75. If you see this in time just let me know what you want I can tack it on and get it sent your way for my cost + shipping to you when you have the funds.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 19:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

thanks, i appreciate it!!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 19:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
rein-o wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
I need to get a copy of that.

I'll sell you my copy, its the 20th anniversary DVD if you are interested in getting Harmagedon :mrgreen:

No no no no. That one has to be LD, preferably the first print. :)

Yeah, the LD I had was the Japanese second release, I always loved those corner obi's that the first issue has.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 01:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
thanks, i appreciate it!!

Did the order. Grabbed Cobra and He Is My Master for you since those were the ones you mentioned. Just shoot me a line when you can budget them in. :wave:

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 17:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

WOW, i deeply appreciate it!! i've some things coming up next month, but i figure i should be able to work these in.

feel free to shoot me a PM on what i owe you anytime...

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 00:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I got everything I ordered except Vampire Hunter D. I watched all of Abenobashi Shopping Arcade, it’s very sentimental. I like it.

When I went to go watch Big O I had two let downs. One was the first disc wouldn’t play but once I removed a big smudge from the disc (both greasy and gritty but also clear, no idea what it was) it played fine. The second disappointing thing was that the OG OP theme is gone. The one that sounded exactly like Queen’s theme to Flash has been replaced with another song that apparently was made for when they restarted the series in 2007. I don’t think it’s on the disc as an extra either.

It’s fine. I only paid $18 for the whole 26 episode series on Blu-ray but I would have not had these issues if it were a 20 year old used LD from Japan. It would have the right theme (since the other didn’t exist yet) and it would be perfectly clean. Now I’m reminded why I don’t like US releases very much unless they are really super madly crazily cheap like this sale was. There is ALWAYS something sucky about them.

Last edited by signofzeta on 05 Dec 2018, 02:07, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 01:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That sucks, I just went on YT and they had the opening with that original Flash.
Was there another DVD or something with the FG Queen style opening?? The one on YT had English titles too.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 02:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don’t think they ever showed it in the US. I only have it on fansub VHS. I think the first episode may have not had an intro but the second one did and it was the Queen-off version.

The replacement seems to almost acknowledge this with the name “Big O - The Show Must Go On!” but it doesn’t sound one bit like Queen.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 03:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I got everything I ordered except Vampire Hunter D. I watched all of Abenobashi Shopping Arcade, it’s very sentimental. I like it.

When I went to go watch Big O I had two let downs. One was the first disc wouldn’t play but once I removed a big smudge from the disc (both greasy and gritty but also clear, no idea what it was) it played fine. The second disappointing thing was that the OG OP theme is gone. The one that sounded exactly like Queen’s theme to Flash has been replaced with another song that apparently was made for when they restarted the series in 2007. I don’t think it’s on the disc as an extra either.

It’s fine. I only paid $18 for the whole 26 episode series on Blu-ray but I would have not had these issues if it were a 20 year old used LD from Japan. It would have the right theme (since the other didn’t exist yet) and it would be perfectly clean. Now I’m reminded why I don’t like US releases very much unless they are really super madly crazily cheap like this sale was. There is ALWAYS something sucky about them.

Yeah, sharing a BD region with Japan doesn't do us any favors.

Also, Shopping Arcade is fun. I still have the old tin release from back when I bought nonsense. Now I lean towards w/e is the most compact for my shelf unless it has some awful problem.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 19:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I don’t think they ever showed it in the US. I only have it on fansub VHS. I think the first episode may have not had an intro but the second one did and it was the Queen-off version.

The replacement seems to almost acknowledge this with the name “Big O - The Show Must Go On!” but it doesn’t sound one bit like Queen.

they did, on CARTOON NETWORK's TOONAMI block back in the early-2000's.

i was staying up at my grandma's in PORTLAND, OR. back then, for an ongoing series of medical appts.
and she had a full CATV package at the time. CN was running several Anime i never would have had occasion to have seen otherwise,
including BIG-O. and indeed, that QUEEN/FLASH GORDON-inspired OP theme was included...

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 20:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Ok. So I guess it’s something forever tied to the original season, SD, 4:3. My guess is that the BR is basically the Japanese satellite rebroadcast of the entire snow from the beginning, presumably wide. The whole show is wide on BR.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 19:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Am I just not using the right search terms or is the entire main series of Legend of Galactic Heroes not in the database?

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 20:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
Am I just not using the right search terms or is the entire main series of Legend of Galactic Heroes not in the database?

Did a search and found one under Legend Of The Galactic Heroes.

But under the translated Japanese they are there.https://www.lddb.com/search.php?search=Ginga+Eiyu+Densetsu&sort=title

I would love to get this series even on bootleg DVD but its always so expensive.
The new Bluray set is about 800 bucks and the fake Bluray on ebay are 200 :crazy:

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 20:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

But under the translated Japanese they are there.https://www.lddb.com/search.php?search=Ginga+Eiyu+Densetsu&sort=title

Well no wonder I couldn't find them. I've never seen anybody refer to them as "Galaxy Hero Legend".

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 20:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’ve heard a lot of translations that used “Milky Way” instead of Galaxy. That show took forever to be translated so there are always going to be mutiple vernacular alternatives to the official.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 21:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Especially when the show's proper alternate title is in German!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 02:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

I would love to get this series even on bootleg DVD but its always so expensive.
The new Bluray set is about 800 bucks and the fake Bluray on ebay are 200 :crazy:

I get that it is a lot of content and the license was likely a proper dicking, but man, I hate that they limited the set. Even at $800 total price, if they had released it fragmented and not limited, I would have easily bought it over time. I toy with the idea of buying it but so far I've backed out every time.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 04:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s a tough situation. On one had you really need a translation for this show unless your Japanese is fluent. On the other hand paying even $100 for anything American just feels like buying a Hyundai or Kirkland Light. Therefore I’ve never even considered it at $800. Is that even cheaper than the JP version of the same thing?

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 18:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

We're looking at early 00's anime DVD prices here. Remember those? When you had to pay like 30 bucks just for four episodes?

Discotek has spoiled us.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 18:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I paid $40 each for VHS eps of Bubblegum Crisis so I remember way worse that that. What I’m trying to understand is why there’s no cheap-ass American discount because this isn’t 1990 or the early 2000s. Amercisns don’t pay full price and nobody would ever dare to charge it. That’s usually the deal! :) Also it’s cheap animation from forever ago.

Hopefully the package isn’t as cheap as most US stuff. That massive greasy high gloss cardboard box they can never fold as properly as any JP box I’ve ever had. The ultra saturated full disc art. FBI warnings acted out by the dub voice cast. Dumb freebies that don’t fit in the case.

Page 18 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 64  Next