It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:03

Page 4 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Japanese Anime releases with English Dubbing
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 03:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think he was trying to bring levity to a tense situation.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 03:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
forper wrote:
Yeah I always found Oshii pretentious. Patlabor 2 and GiTs are good examples of his pretention to me. I think I saw Angels Egg on a fan tape once. I can't really remember but I wouldn't mind watching it again. I can do art movies but why let him take over a franchise like Patlabor or a Shirow comic?

The Appleseed OVA from the '80s isn't even close to the manga but at least some of the look of the comics is there. The later CGI Appleseed is unbearable to me.

The best Shirow adaption is still Black Magic M66 imo.

You think anything aimed at a 100 IQ adult is pretentious. Anything trying to take anything to anyplace but stuff you memorized when you were 8 and toy tanks. What was your major, btw? If you have a BFA and you want to call Oshii pretentious that's fine. If you've never done anything in your life creatively that you're proud to call your own then maybe you don't have any scope of what you're talking about.

I laughed. Oshii isn't pretentious, he made interesting films. Patlabor 2 is the best Patlabor content around, so that speaks to his quality. And I know, he made the first Patlabor movie too, but 2 is an Oshii movie, 1 really isn't if that makes sense. Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer is a really good movie.

I'd put Satoshi Kon above him, slightly. Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika are all top shelf anime films.

Shinkai and Hosoda are solid as well.

I'd put all of them above Miyazaki, who is really overrated. I like plenty of his movies well enough, but most are just okay. Nausica is probably his best, I really liked that one.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 05:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Miyazaki is my guy. Not just because of who he is but because he was exactly what I needed to find when I found him, like 1985/86. Back then NOBODY was trumpeting the guy in the US. I was the only person I knew that even knew his name. It took ages for him to become mainstream establishment stuff that gets forced on you. Now I'm still discovering his touch on things like Rascal which aren't the well documented parts of his career. So many people were inspired by his style...when you think about it, that awful Atlantis movie Disney made. The movie that's super obviously made by someone who saw Nadia and Laputa...two products spun off from originally the same project, which was Miyazaki's when he worked for NHK. Miyazaki resumed it as Laputa in 1986, NHK resumed it with Gainax 1990 as Nadia, and Disney just flat out stole one or both of them like 15 years later for Atlantis, a movie loved less than Hunchback somehow.

Nothing has ever clicked for me like the first 7 or 8 Ghibli movies. Nausicaa was the first I found (there was no actual "Ghibli" yet) and she will always be my favorite Newtype super hero (well, her or Popeye, its a tough call). The movie that I think best shows his pure craft power is Kiki, since it was based on a book he didn't have to work so hard on the concepts which means he could really just...direct. And key animate. And check. And all that other crap people like him do. Porco was the most personal. The end of that era was with Whisper of the Heart and On Your Mark, basically when Kondo passed which really hurt. Both of those projects affected me greatly. After that there was a lot of black ooze and even a few beheadings and I never really liked anything Ghibli that much again, not even The Wind Rises. Kondo was supposed to do a lot more and when he died unexpectedly the company changed direction slightly, of course.

Now I mostly admire him for stuff like:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/07/13/national/politics-diplomacy/famed-director-miyazaki-calls-abes-move-revise-constitution-despicable/#.XFJ5fiOZNm8

and

https://news.avclub.com/its-3-p-m-so-lets-watch-hayao-miyazaki-rip-some-poor-1826699462

That last one I'd really like to talk about.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 08:09 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Curmudgeon Miyazaki's reaction to that "shambling cgi AI zombie" animation clip was predictable, and the whole situation looked like a setup given his tastes, but still amusing. Seemed like crap for some online RPG or such that I couldn't see 'ol Hayao picking up the controller to play. Still, it's sad to see masses of writhing AI cg actors deployed in live action films that once had "casts of thousands" - that uncanny motion looks like a big video game, and it's just another lazy stunt like the infiltration of cgi for cost cutting in anime (to the extent that specialties like vehicle animation are all but dead, as it's easier to recycle cg "puppets", and Oshii commented on this at one point during the making of Sky Crawlers, I believe).

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 16:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Miyazaki is my guy. Not just because of who he is but because he was exactly what I needed to find when I found him, like 1985/86. Back then NOBODY was trumpeting the guy in the US. I was the only person I knew that even knew his name. It took ages for him to become mainstream establishment stuff that gets forced on you. Now I'm still discovering his touch on things like Rascal which aren't the well documented parts of his career. So many people were inspired by his style...when you think about it, that awful Atlantis movie Disney made. The movie that's super obviously made by someone who saw Nadia and Laputa...two products spun off from originally the same project, which was Miyazaki's when he worked for NHK. Miyazaki resumed it as Laputa in 1986, NHK resumed it with Gainax 1990 as Nadia, and Disney just flat out stole one or both of them like 15 years later for Atlantis, a movie loved less than Hunchback somehow.

Nothing has ever clicked for me like the first 7 or 8 Ghibli movies. Nausicaa was the first I found (there was no actual "Ghibli" yet) and she will always be my favorite Newtype super hero (well, her or Popeye, its a tough call). The movie that I think best shows his pure craft power is Kiki, since it was based on a book he didn't have to work so hard on the concepts which means he could really just...direct. And key animate. And check. And all that other crap people like him do. Porco was the most personal. The end of that era was with Whisper of the Heart and On Your Mark, basically when Kondo passed which really hurt. Both of those projects affected me greatly. After that there was a lot of black ooze and even a few beheadings and I never really liked anything Ghibli that much again, not even The Wind Rises. Kondo was supposed to do a lot more and when he died unexpectedly the company changed direction slightly, of course.

All the movies you mention here are pretty good. My personal breaking point with Ghibli is post Howl's Moving Castle. I don't care about any of their films after that one.

So I definitely don't mean that Miyazaki is bad, I just like the other 4 more. Miyazaki's output is much more prolific too.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2019, 18:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:

As for the question, I have the Ghibli box and the weird 1998 Cagliostro box and these two are a great way to get some old Carl Macek dubs, including his dub of Kiki and Laputa which I'm pretty sure were never sold anywhere else. You get Porco, Totoro, Kiki, and Laputa I think....

The Macek dubs for Totoro and Laputa were on the Japanese DVDs. I don't recall if Porco had a crappy new disney dub or not. Kiki did have the crappy disney dub with loads of added/changed dialogue. I have the US LD of it, too. Yuck. I watched that Macek dub of Porco many times having taped it off TV.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2019, 22:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The Disney Kiki dub is horrible. I loved Phil Hartman but holy s**t his version of Jiji is massively off the mark. The original is so quiet you can barely hear him (which makes sense in a world where on one person can actually here him) and the Disney version is much louder and more irritating.

Page 4 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4