It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:47

Page 4 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: How many more years before physical media is dead?
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 06:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
audioboyz1973 wrote:

Earth's (and our) biggest problem is us.

What a hippy thing to say.

Earth doesn't care about us. It's actually not alive as a single entity.

lol Why do you assume I was going all Gaia? I wasn't. The possessive apostrophe can be used for non-human/non-living nouns, particularly for something like the Earth if that's the source of your confusion.

And what's so wrong with hippies anyway? I'd much rather have the company of hippies than rednecks.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 08:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
We’re already at a point where most department stores only carry three or four players period. They aren’t going to see what the point is in keeping around something that goes out of its way to be archaic. They will simply carry a machine that plays everything from CDs to BRs. A five inch disc player. They don’t have AM radios and FM radios. They just have radios because the entire business is one chip at this point. CD/DVD/BR players will someday be soon. They dumped composite out on the cheap players ages ago. So what do people who don’t care about the extra quality of HDMI buy? The same thing as everyone else.

It doesn't matter what type of player it is that the person has at home or at the store it's irrelevant, because it doesn't change the fact that more people buy DVDs over BDs and UHDs. Most stores stock far more DVDs than BDs and UHDs combined.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 17:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

alien wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
We’re already at a point where most department stores only carry three or four players period. They aren’t going to see what the point is in keeping around something that goes out of its way to be archaic. They will simply carry a machine that plays everything from CDs to BRs. A five inch disc player. They don’t have AM radios and FM radios. They just have radios because the entire business is one chip at this point. CD/DVD/BR players will someday be soon. They dumped composite out on the cheap players ages ago. So what do people who don’t care about the extra quality of HDMI buy? The same thing as everyone else.

It doesn't matter what type of player it is that the person has at home or at the store it's irrelevant, because it doesn't change the fact that more people buy DVDs over BDs and UHDs. Most stores stock far more DVDs than BDs and UHDs combined.

Not here, if I go to wallyworld they have more Blurays.
They even have them in bins.

I'm not buying any Blurays, I'm boycotting them and only focusing on DVDs as people will want them and I can finally cash in once
in my life.

Blurays are at goodwill for 2 bucks and they sit there.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 19:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rein-o wrote:
alien wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

I'm not buying any Blurays, I'm boycotting them and only focusing on DVDs as people will want them and I can finally cash in once
in my life.

Blurays are at goodwill for 2 bucks and they sit there.

Boycotting Blu-ray? Why is that?

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 19:13 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

alien wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

DVD is still alive because it’s literally free revenue. It costs them nothing to print the discs and royalties have expired.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 20:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
alien wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

A chain called JB HiFi in Australia has Blurays in bins, they're pretty cheap here too. I think Aliens point is DVDs are still a little cheaper, especially for new releases.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 22:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

substance wrote:
Boycotting Blu-ray? Why is that?

Pretty simple, I don't want to keep buying the same title over and over again.
I'm sick of the movie companies that keep making us buy the same title.

I'm sick of having 2,3,5 versions of the same film just to compare which one is better and then losing money on the deal.
I'd rather just enjoy what I have and gamble, at least I will have a 2% chance of winning something.

I just bought all 3 DVD box sets of the Star Trek Original series in the plastic colored cases for 20 bucks total with shipping.
How much were they again when new.............

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 22:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Phhffft...

You’re no fun.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 08:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:

focusing on DVDs as people will want them and I can finally cash in once
in my life.

I thought this idea was goofy but I'm looking at Japanese pop cassettes right now and you know those late releases are insane money in that category as well, you might be on to something..

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 15:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
rein-o wrote:

focusing on DVDs as people will want them and I can finally cash in once
in my life.

I thought this idea was goofy but I'm looking at Japanese pop cassettes right now and you know those late releases are insane money in that category as well, you might be on to something..

Yes I am my friend, yes I am. :ugeek:

I'm also picking up stuff that can't be re-released on Bluray or any other like that Directors cut of Star Trek the Motion Picture.
Think about it, OK the film is not but its the same as Star Wars, only way to get the cut of whatever is on ---

Also when searching on ebay or other sites you can always pickup the Bluray used but can never find these newer releases on DVD cheaper.
Look at some of the Criterion titles, you can find Bluray all over but NO DVD, this is why I though they stopped production of them.

But any title I must have I will pickup that DVD and then if any of you really want it in the future I'll sell it for a grand,
or give you some nice friends and family discount of 750.00 :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 01:01 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nissling wrote:
Criterion have struggled with their streaming services and want to get into that market, yet I feel that they should at least release some films on UHD-BD.

With the demise of Filmstruck, Criterion is going at it again!

New Home For Classic Films As The Criterion Channel Sets Launch Date

The Criterion Channel, a service developed after the demise of the streaming service Filmstruck, has finally announced its launch date--April 8. Currently, it plans to house more than 1,000 classic and contemporary films, including (of course) a wide variety of films from the Criterion Collection. (...)

Julien

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 01:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My house currently houses over 1000 classic and contemporary films also. It’s a good start. I wish them the best but I’ll never stop buying discs as long as they make them.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 08:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
A chain called JB HiFi in Australia has Blurays in bins, they're pretty cheap here too. I think Aliens point is DVDs are still a little cheaper, especially for new releases.

JB Hi-Fi is about the only store that stocks a good amount of Blu-Rays and for good prices, but even JB is DVD dominated.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 08:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don’t know why the distinction is so important to you guys. I buy things if they exist in BR but honestly I kinda avoided DVD except for really critical stuff so I’m buying a lot of classics for the first time now. Even if I had a DVD I don’t usually feel the need to upgrade unless the thing is special. I don’t buy Casablanca every time it comes out. There’s no point. Even LD does a pretty good job with b/w. I just got a huge box set of Universal Monsters movies in DVD and I’m fine with that forever. For something like Blue Planet II or even Unico I really want the BR.

Blue ray really kicks a**. It sucks you feel you were screwed by the home video industry but...we’re here! At the finish line! Why quit %99 of the way back there at DVD which honestly kinda sucks when you can quit at Blu-ray which is the first format (RIP HDDVD) to relatively preserve everything you could want from 35mm while delivering crazy great audio?

You don’t have to keep your sets matched, you know. You can just throw them all together. It’s fine.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 17:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

BD is awesome I agree. Many times now I'd rather get LD over DVD for a lot of movies if it doesn't have a good BD or the BD is really expensive (which is not very often).

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 22:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

alien wrote:

It doesn't matter what type of player it is that the person has at home or at the store it's irrelevant, because it doesn't change the fact that more people buy DVDs over BDs and UHDs. Most stores stock far more DVDs than BDs and UHDs combined.[/quote]

Here in the UK the DVD market, even in supermarkets & the like, is shrinking - still there but the Blu-ray discs are taking over more & more now.

A few stores & major retailers had stopped ordering DVD players a while ago now & when their stock runs out it will be Blu-ray players only but they do play DVDs so not really an issue given the price you can pick up new "basic" players for now.

Given the production costs for a DVD (& now Blu-ray) discs being so low they will be here for a while yet but for how long?

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 23:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

In the stores I go to in the US the overall market is clearly down overall but Blu-ray seems to have very much taken hold. For whatever reason it’s becoming less common to include a DVD version in it. Similarly I’ve seen a few 4K-only release where at first the norm was to include the 1080p version also. Prices are continuing down down down down except for 4K.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 01:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I want to make it clear that I am still getting LDs also.

4K I feel is going to go the HDDVD route, people just can't do another format right now.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 01:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That doesn’t make much sense to me either. 4K BR is already vastly more popular than HDDVD ever was and it’s made by the same people who make 1080p BRs so there’s really no reason why it should go anywhere. My assumption is that in a year or two 4K will just be the standard. You hardcore DVD only guys will have to look far and wide for crappy DVDs of things, importing them at massive expense just to maintain a pose for some ideology nobody else understands. Congratulations, congratulations congratulations congratulations, you now have whatever Forper has.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 02:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

No I will have what $ugu has :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll be selling Blade Runner 2049 for 500 bucks on DVD :mrgreen: so everybody can complete their run of a film or series on every format :ugeek:

Page 4 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next