It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:31

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Last of the Mohicans 1992) Dolby Stereo Digital AC-3 THX
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 11:53 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

The Last of the Mohicans arrived this morning when I saw this going cheap last week, I brought it.

I also have the first pressing release.
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/04661/198 ... -The-(1992)

Post subject: Re: The Last of the Mohicans 1992) Dolby Stereo Digital AC-3
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 13:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

A while back I asked if anyone that owned the Dolby AC-3 version to confirm and I don't know which one around here has the best ears for listening?
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=517&hilit=The+last+of+the+mohicans

If you happen to have the region 1 DVD not sure for sure if the same error exists as the with R2 DVD with echoy bleeding dialouge into the surrounds.

The Dolby Stereo Digital AC-3 version is breed mix apart from what I have on R2 DVD. I noticed a strange oddish sound across the stage channels LCR a kinder wind like sound with 20th Century Fox then the score starts to fade in softly then grows in loudness but wait! I hear heavy use of now and then compression. I'll have to figure a way to get a spectrum lab frequency response of one of the LCR fronts also the LFE.1 on the R2 DVD on the opening is HEAVY use on the CP500 I see very little use of it.

The musket shot when Hawk Eye shots the deer, poor creature, :( well the musket is of different tone to the R2 DVD.
Now I know some here must have the early R2 DVD maybe some also have the R1 DVD in the UK?

I think the mix of the dialouge track over the LCR even thou its clearly centred and not spilling out over to stage left/right its of soft level on this THX Dolby AC-3 release and some 70mm that I have listened to have small blend of the dialouge many - db down, unless its dialouge pan that is clearly heard on stage left or right, but no annoying echo like the R2 DVD.

Well I can eject the R2 DVD now I only had to listen to a few minutes.

Okay on with first release Laserdisc I'll compare the analouge and PCM and compare to the Dolby AC-3 and analouge for bass score and effects strength.

I knew it! The score should start a few seconds with 20th Fox logo on screen on the THX Dolby AC-3 it starts too late!

Talk about trade off's. :roll:

I haven't focused on picture yet I'll have to find one good easy thing to look at and then loop the image though my head and replay the same scene with THX Laserdisc noting colour and scope framing.

Okay noting the musket rife shot again chapter 2, 3m.45s. THX Laserdisc chapter 2, 4.44 the Musket is breed mix apart. Its more wham whoosh on the standard release and I don't know maybe more of snap bang sound as the hammer snaps down on the gun powered. (After all I didn't have the chance to seeing this at the cinema when released).

It still as bass least across the LCR and when playing in analouge I'm using the LCR sub bass extension for extending the screen channel bass and the OBE sub bass for the other sub bass.

When in Dolby AC-3 the other sub bass is only used to extend LCR lower and the LFE.1 sub only comes in as and when on the mix.

The image is a bit wider for the scope when looking at chapter 4, 11m.03 over the standard laserdisc that is slight cropped on the sides. mmm, did I look at the DVD R2? I guess I'll have to put the DVD R2 back in again!

THX Laserdisc Oh, I forgot to do camera shot of the standard laserdisc, I'll do that later but take my word its cropped! :)

Region 2 DVD

Well the framing of the scope is about equal with THX laserdisc and R2 DVD. I prefer the brightness of the THX laserdisc the R2 DVD looks like dark ages.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 15:20 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

The trailer plays in duel mono on left and right front that I find distracting and quick switching on the CP500 from Format 11 to Format U1 User 1 Dolby Pro-Logic centres the trailer to centre channel where it sounds more natural.

Huh, no Chase sound, sound check then?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 18:05 
True fan
True fan

So what I'm getting here is that the original release has better sound in its Oscar winning Dolby stereo format. Is the PCM track on the reissue disc the same or altered?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]