It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lady Battle Cop [LSTD01038]
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 12:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Lady Battle Cop [LSTD01038] aka Onna batoru koppu

Presented unfortunately in P&S, stereo, released on 15/10/1992

As the movie is japanese only, it is not a blocking factor, it is easy to follow and is a funny movie, great to see the 15 minutes making of special, picture quality is quite ok, not mindblowing though (Pioneer JP pressing)

I love the OBI, wish they all were like this one, with special photos ...

The main movie is followed by a 15-minute `Making of LADY BATTLE COP' short that includes some of the special FX shots, including a miniature set showing cars getting blown up to test the Neutron Magnum gun (an interesting weapon with good FX that should have been used more imaginatively). There are shots that are not in the movie itself.

Some comments from IMDB:
"Lady Battle Cop (1991) is a Japanese sci-fi thriller that's essentially a rip-off of the 1987 Hollywood film ROBOCOP. This one's much shorter, because it cuts out all the background detail, character touches and news media coverage that made ROBOCOP so much more interesting and resonant. The scenes here sort of recall scenes in ROBOCOP, but the action direction is so much more sluggish. Every bit of business takes much longer than it would have in ROBOCOP.

The actress who plays Kaoru Mikoshiba, the tennis champ-turned-Lady Battlecop is pretty in a bland way, but she can't act and has no real presence. Her character is humiliated a lot; even after she becomes Lady Battle Cop, she is frequently overpowered and victimized by Team Phantom, the 4-person team of killers employed by the powerful Karuta crime cartel. She rallies two or three times, but doesn't really do anything strategically different when she does. This whole concept was handled in a more satisfying way in later Japanese robot-suited hero TV shows (BLUE SWAT) and animated series (BUBBLEGUM CRISIS, among many others).

There are some good ideas and interesting powers and gadgets that could have been developed or used more, but they just sit there. There's a formidable wrestler-type villain named Amadeus, who has the power to disrupt Lady Battle Cop's systems and send her flying back and forth. These are the best action parts and have the most special effects (although we see the wires in the flying scenes!). But Amadeus' origins are only alluded to (he was built by NASA, but the Karuta cartel stole him) and his character and background are never explored. There is lots of action in the film, but it's never terribly exciting or imaginative; without character development, there's nothing underneath to get us emotionally involved."

Directed by Akihisa Okamoto and starring Azusa Nakamura, LADY BATTLE COP is 80 minutes long.

Post subject: Re: Lady Battle Cop [LSTD01038]
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 07:47 
True fan
True fan

Did you know this?
I have not watched Lady Battle Cop, but I think here is surely former material.
imdb Robotto keiji
Robot Detective: vol.1 [LSTD01301]
Robot Detective: vol.2 [LSTD01321]

Box arts

Inner

Inserts

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 08:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks Cold Sleeper to share these nice pics, I am aware of some other nice japanese series (got most of my knowledge from LD express, but these discs are very hard to optain in europe, as they were hardly sold being hughly expensive at the time of release. Most of the discs of this type and anime I own I got through people who bought them when over in Japan.

Again these discs and boxes show the love and quality when made...

On Yahoo auctions a lot of these can be found for very reasonable prices, however its almost impossible to do business outside Japan on Yahoo auctions, when found on ebay the prices explode ....

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 13:04 
True fan
True fan

I have not yet confirmed.
It seems my old school friend has appeared,
he was a member of the theater company at that time.

I got them 7-8 years ago, it about 10,500 yen in 2 boxes.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 14:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

edwin240170 wrote:
but these discs are very hard to optain in europe, as they were hardly sold being hughly expensive at the time of release. Most of the discs of this type and anime I own I got through people who bought them when over in Japan.

this was the same in the USA around early 1990s when i went looking for Japanese discs they were very expensive.

if the disc was Y5800 then here in the USA it would be at cheapest 60 bucks, sometimes people would ask more.

i remember the first time i was able to get some discs cheaper was on a trip to san fan, found some stores
in little tokyo there, picked up the 2 disc akira for around 50 bucks, that was less than the normal costs that others were charging.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]