It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:51

Page 3 of 5 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the first laserdisc you watched?
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2014, 20:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The weekend before my graduation at primary school, I got my first three Laserdiscs and saw all of them. The LDs were...

Pulp Fiction: Special Edition #271 (1994) [CC1423L]
Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) [8763-85]
Terminator, The (1984) [ID2940NSB]

I don't know anything about Star Wars, but Pulp Fiction was a favorite of mine once (not anymore). I've always apreciated The Terminator. And I remember really liking all three LDs. It was just four years ago yet it feels like an eternity.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2014, 09:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

nissling wrote:
The weekend before my graduation at primary school, I got my first three Laserdiscs and saw all of them. The LDs were...

Pulp Fiction: Special Edition #271 (1994) [CC1423L]
Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) [8763-85]
Terminator, The (1984) [ID2940NSB]

I don't know anything about Star Wars, but Pulp Fiction was a favorite of mine once (not anymore). I've always apreciated The Terminator. And I remember really liking all three LDs. It was just four years ago yet it feels like an eternity.

That's a really good wat to start :thumbup:

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 21:15 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

The first laserdisc I ever bought was actually Def Leppard: Animal (1989) [080 626-2].

That was back in 1989 along with Love Bites as well. It would be another 17 years though before I would get a chance to play the analogue video portion of these 5" CDVs as I did not own a LD player until 2006! Amazingly they both played really well given these PDO discs are known rotters.

The first 12" laserdisc I ever bought and watched was Stevie Nicks: In Concert (1982) [PA-83-033].

I wanted to see Stevie perform the classic Fleetwood Mac track 'Sara' from their Tusk album. To this day I'm still amazed this concert has not be re-issued on DVD. It remains a personal favourite of mine even though the copy I bought from the US had some minor speckling!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 23:58 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The 1st to watch was a French dubbed version of "Escaping from L.A." when I went to see an "Pioneer" C.L.D.-1200 L.D. player. I dind't buy it because the price is high (and after almost an year it's still for sale). The 1st disc that I've watched at my player was an French subtitled version of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", about 3 weeks after I bought the player (they didn't had L.D.'s at the second hand store from which I bought the disc - I've tryed it with a C.D.); not a fan of the movie, but it was the only P.A.L. disc that I could find at a resonable price.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2015, 05:28 
This is easy to remember, as my first time using a LD player was what, last week? The first movie was Robocop Criterion edition. So good. There's actually a funny story behind that.

So, I got my player, hooked it up to the PVM, checked to make sure all connections were good, and put in Robocop. I've never seen a LD in person, so I'm not really sure exactly what kind of picture quality to expect. So, Robocop plays, and the video is awful. Blurry as crap. I fiddle with the various knobs on the front of the monitor, and alternate between composite and svideo, restarting the video a few times. This looked barely better than a bad VCR, and Robocop is supposed to be one of the best discs for the thing. At this point I had paid a few hundred dollars for the player and a good stack of movies, and I'm thinking, "What have I done? I've made a terrible mistake."

Oh well, let me just watch this awesome movie. I don't think I've seen the completely uncensored version before. A few minutes in... I realize that I forgot that the first few minutes of the movie is a news broadcast filtered to look like an old 80's TV, it's supposed to look really bad. When the real movie started it looked awesome.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2015, 06:15 
Star Wars "A New Hope", not the AC-3 version but the first release on LD, in glorious stereo, on my over-sized screen with the projector...it was fuzzy, and the sound was just in stereo...but I was in 1977 again with my mom and brother at the Fox Theater.... :D

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2015, 15:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

gohanx wrote:
...I forgot that the first few minutes of the movie is a news broadcast filtered to look like an old 80's TV, it's supposed to look really bad. When the real movie started it looked awesome.

:lol: I had a similar experience the first time I watched that disc :lol:
It does look pretty good once it gets going.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 01:55 
True fan
True fan

Star Wars: A New Hope (FOX) LD of course. With all it's Han shoots first glory. :clap:

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 08:34 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

First one was Tenchi Muyo in Love Special Edition. I wanted to watch it first to look at the special ending theme in its full uncompressed glory.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2015, 16:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Now that I think again about this question, I guess the accurate answer would be the Dragon's Lair arcade game back in '83 or so since it was running off an LD.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2015, 00:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Genesis: Mama Tour
I bought at RoDisc.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 01:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The winter of 1980, I watched "Smokey and the Bandit" and "Jaws" on a Pioneer VP-1000.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2015, 05:51 
That would be Bubblegum Crisis V.1, on my LD-V2200, now I also own the remastered us dvd release and it looks great especially considering it's an 80's title, well so does the laserdisc release! In fact if I remember correctly, the remastered edition dvd's were done from the original LD glass masters, if this is true I can see why on the same tv they both have great color and sound, I prefer the LD copys sound however, sounds more alive, less processed. Video is a toss up but, the darks are better for the dvd but, the the LD has smoother motion transitions.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 17:19 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I remember seeing Star Wars (pan & scan) playing at a short-lived local video store called Lazer Trax in my hometown of Souris, Manitoba (Canada). That must have been in the late '80s. I only got my own player this year and my first movie I watched fully to test it out was Who Framed Roger Rabbit (which came with the player). I am now a laserdisc fanboy.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2015, 03:40 
True fan
True fan

Jurasic Park PAL CAV version was the first LD I watched. I exchanged 90 Star Trek TNG VHS videos and a 1994 Playstation for a Pioneer CLD-2700 player plus a few discs. Think that was about 1996/97. PAL only machine though. Later sold it and got a Pioneer cld-d925 player which I had for a few years. That player came with An American Werewolf In Paris.

Last edited by daro2096 on 08 Apr 2015, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 11:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I saw my first LD when I was 14 I think. ( 1995 ) It was at one of those government-run "Job Information Centres" where young students could watch videos describing different
jobs. I remember that each time when I wanted to watch a different clip I had to go to the information desk and the lady there would remove this big disc and replace it with a different one.
I must admit I did not know what laserdiscs were at that time but I remember I found the picture quality to be equal with "normal TV picture quality". I am sure there were
several discs, in fact probably one sided CAV discs for every job and there were many of them to choose from.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/submit/52 ... Bild-(1987)

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2015, 09:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

confederate wrote:
I saw my first LD when I was 14 I think. ( 1995 ) It was at one of those government-run "Job Information Centres" where young students could watch videos describing different
jobs. I remember that each time when I wanted to watch a different clip I had to go to the information desk and the lady there would remove this big disc and replace it with a different one.
I must admit I did not know what laserdiscs were at that time but I remember I found the picture quality to be equal with "normal TV picture quality". I am sure there were
several discs, in fact probably one sided CAV discs for every job and there were many of them to choose from.

I remember that too. We were at the "BIZ" in Berlin in 9th or 10th grade.
So it was maybe 1990 or 1991, and one woman behind the desk was running around with LD's in her hand constantly.
They probably trashed it all when they replaced it with DVD's, eh?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015, 06:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

lons_vex wrote:
confederate wrote:

I remember that too. We were at the "BIZ" in Berlin in 9th or 10th grade.
So it was maybe 1990 or 1991, and one woman behind the desk was running around with LD's in her hand constantly.
They probably trashed it all when they replaced it with DVD's, eh?

Probably yes :( I am sure they were analogue sound only ! I am sure there are still some copies lying around somewhere.
It is quite funny to see those big discs back in the days.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2015, 17:24 
The first one I put in the tray to see where the sides cut off was The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
The first I watched all the way through was Jurassic Park (my first time ever watching the film).

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 01:18 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Last Action Hero, The (1993) [LD 19669]

Last Action Hero (PAL) along with the Pioneer CLD-1750 that I brought at the time around 1993.

Page 3 of 5 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next