It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:20

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Transit screw?
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 09:55 
would you buy a player if it's missing the transit screw?
i found a player on Ebay, seller tells me he is missing this screw.
shipping from USA to Europe might be risky if it's missing this screw?
what do you think?

player seems to be in great condition

Post subject: Re: Transit screw?
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 16:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

which player, i have read that some will and won't matter about the screw.
so others can help you if you tell what player.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 16:19 
sorry i forgot to mention the player, it's a pioneer cld-d701 from 1992
seller told me he doesn't have the transit screw and it wasn't important if it's bolted to back of the player?

if screw was not important why was it there from factory?

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 16:20 
I'd wait for one of the techs or someone that ships a good amount. I think shipping overseas is dicey enough, personally I'd find out the screw size and ship the seller one stateside or see if they'll pick one up. That's just for piece of mind.

I've been doing a metric ton of research on shipping LD players, and I've seen it go back and forth. Some say YES - it's there so use it, and some say for most players it doesn't do much, and that it's more important that the unit was shut-down properly as the mechanisms lock themselves in position. A bit of a carryover from record player days.

At any rate, godspeed to your parcel.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 16:22 
thanks bud

when you say it's important to do the correct shut off, you mean by pressing the on/off switch to kill the player permanently

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 16:25 
carlosthejackal wrote:
thanks bud

when you say it's important to do the correct shut off, you mean by pressing the on/off switch to kill the player permanently

Yep, just hitting the power button and not yanking the cord out of the wall.

If it matters I'm sure Kbahr or Duncan will know by model.

How hard is it locating an LD player in Sweden?

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 16:32 
laserdisc_lover wrote:
carlosthejackal wrote:
thanks bud

it's pritty difficult finding a good one in Ajkeeeja country, players where never a big hit here, there were only shady shops selling these grey imports
there are a few used ones for sale but not any topmodels, UK or Germany has far more to chose from

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 16:43 
carlosthejackal wrote:
laserdisc_lover wrote:
carlosthejackal wrote:
thanks bud

it's pritty difficult finding a good one in Ajkeeeja country, players where never a big hit here, there were only shady shops selling these grey imports
there are a few used ones for sale but not any topmodels, UK or Germany has far more to chose from

I hear that, I'm in the Midwest US, rural and it never seeped in here. I've cast wide nets for pretty much anything and I've been coming up with school players and a couple of lower-rung models. Mostly just people prodding to see if I'll pay twice ebay, regular ebay rate is mental as is. LOL I just move along, don't want people that paid big bucks, getting their feelings hurt when I tell them their V820 laser karaoke player or MDP isn't worth $300 on any planet.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 17:08 
novises maybe don't know how much a player is worth and forks out a few hundred dollars for a player maybe worth only 30 dollars
it's easy getting robbed

i don't like buying a player from another country to have it shipped to my home, as i know these are fragile electronics.
my first player broke during shipping, i'm still waiting for courier to pick it up for check up.
i'm still without a player, can't watch my favourite discs!
fokk dat crap!

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 17:31 
carlosthejackal wrote:
seller told me he doesn't have the transit screw and it wasn't important if it's bolted to back of the player?

The screw is to keep the mechanics from bouncing up and down, it doesn't "lock" the optics. I had one case where in shipping without the screw the mechanics bounced enough to severely crack the main board. In a pinch I've used a self tapping sheet metal screw. Just don't tighten the screw all the way to the back panel as this can pull the mechanics rearward. It just needs to be there to keep them from bouncing up and down. I've had them shipped in for repair without the screw and without issue but across the ocean I'd vote for some kind of screw :thumbup:

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 18:10 
ldservice wrote:
carlosthejackal wrote:

The screw is to keep the mechanics from bouncing up and down, it doesn't "lock" the optics. I had one case where in shipping without the screw the mechanics bounced enough to severely crack the main board. In a pinch I've used a self tapping sheet metal screw. Just don't tighten the screw all the way to the back panel as this can pull the mechanics rearward. It just needs to be there to keep them from bouncing up and down. I've had them shipped in for repair without the screw and without issue but across the ocean I'd vote for some kind of screw :thumbup:

that's what i needed to hear
thanks for the input
i won't be buying this player without the transit screw, it's to risky

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 23:07 
Good idea. For that distance I would certainly advise a screw of some sort :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]