It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 14:03




 Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: marantz cdv-770 compared to pioneer.....?
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 11:52 
Third post and above
Third post and above
User avatar

Joined: 02 Jun 2018, 19:56
Posts: 6
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
hello guys,

i'm looking at the possibility to buy a marantz cdv-770. I cannot however seem to find any info on how good or bad this device is...
have searched the forum and found in this thread http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094&hilit=marantz+770 that it is based on the cld99s chassis. but unfortunately nothing more than that.

any of you have more info? what pq can i expect? i have a cld-d925 for pal (as i read here that ntsc playback is subpar) and a dvl-909 for mostly ntsc. i'm quite new to the ld-world compared to most of you so i come to you for advice! would this unit be an upgrade over what i have atm?

thank you in advance! :D
_________________
http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?action=list&user=AtomNL
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: marantz cdv-770 compared to pioneer.....?
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 23:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 156
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 18 times
Well..... I have no experience with this particular machine but I do own a CLD-3030 (Japanese version of the CLD-99S) of which it is based on and I still like the performance of my machine.

It doesn't have the best picture quality since it was a late 80's machine but I think it holds its own very well. I actually think the digital field memory circuit in these older machines seemed better than the later models as it appears to capture more frames during FF / REW effects on CLV discs for a more fluid effect (or maybe it's my imagination).

Anyway, I do like the remote that comes with this Marantz and if the machine is in overall good condition, I would say to get it. Just remember this is a single side play machine in case you were looking for an auto reverse model.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: marantz cdv-770 compared to pioneer.....?
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 23:53 
Third post and above
Third post and above
User avatar

Joined: 02 Jun 2018, 19:56
Posts: 6
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 time
ldfan wrote:
Well..... I have no experience with this particular machine but I do own a CLD-3030 (Japanese version of the CLD-99S) of which it is based on and I still like the performance of my machine.

It doesn't have the best picture quality since it was a late 80's machine but I think it holds its own very well. I actually think the digital field memory circuit in these older machines seemed better than the later models as it appears to capture more frames during FF / REW effects on CLV discs for a more fluid effect (or maybe it's my imagination).

Anyway, I do like the remote that comes with this Marantz and if the machine is in overall good condition, I would say to get it. Just remember this is a single side play machine in case you were looking for an auto reverse model.


thank you for your reply! I know that it is single sided but t.b.h. it doesn't bother me to get up and flip the disc. I don't know why but I expected it to be a bit "younger" as a machine. However marantz always made good gear as far as i know and if it's well maintained it shouldn't necessarily be a problem. Will look into this and see if i can get a good deal...if I can i think i'll take the plunge!
thx!
_________________
http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?action=list&user=AtomNL
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: marantz cdv-770 compared to pioneer.....?
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2018, 00:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 4778
Location: United States
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 46 times
If you need a player, it works and is under 100 bucks I would get it.
Sure you will get better PQ from an X0 but then again there are no parts for either player and one is a lot more expensive.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: marantz cdv-770 compared to pioneer.....?
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2018, 02:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 156
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 18 times
atomnl wrote:

thank you for your reply! I know that it is single sided but t.b.h. it doesn't bother me to get up and flip the disc. I don't know why but I expected it to be a bit "younger" as a machine.


Younger doesn't always mean better.

The 80's were a time when "all" AV components were really built like tanks. Around the time of the release of the CLD-??80 series which is about two years after the CLD-??30 series, we started to see a lot more lighter weight machines and in my opinion more fragile as well. I remember looking at the CLD-980 and was shocked how light it was and it showed in its performance (really vibrated a lot).


Quote:
However marantz always made good gear as far as i know and if it's well maintained it shouldn't necessarily be a problem. Will look into this and see if i can get a good deal...if I can i think i'll take the plunge!
thx!


The Marantz does appear to have a slightly higher external build quality in addition to the nice wood side panels vs. the Pioneer CLD-3030 but it's guts are pretty much the same. I don't think you can go wrong with this unit unless it has pre-exisiting issues right now. I still haven't replaced anything inside of my unit including the belts and I'm a bit shocked by that after all these years (although a spring retainer on my flip down door did break a few months ago but I did get it fixed quickly and it's good again :thumbup: )
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: