It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 09:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 230 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 14 Apr 2021, 17:07 

And you give up the money, I can't remember the last time I bought a new film on DVD for 20 bucks.

May have been the Criterion of Solaris, but that would have been around 40?

Cost is definitely the biggest con. Like forger said you can’t sell your films either. But somebody has to buy movies new to have a second hand market later. The same goes for the hardware. These are very expensive systems because there is a small niche market. Eventually other streaming services will catch up and offer on par quality for less.

Posted: 14 Apr 2021, 23:49 

I recorded the 1080i broadcast version several years ago from one of the premium movie channels. I think it was Showtime. I had Verizon Fios at the time which was said to have uncompressed versions of the broadcasts. I still have it on my TiVo somewhere in the storage. I need to transfer that to disc some day. I believe I have the Abyss and a few other titles recorded in HD on that same TiVo.

Posted: 24 May 2021, 20:31 

Are you sure you are using the HDMI output of your BD player and the output is set to 1080p? The increase in resolution(6x SD) and color fidelity is huge, you should be able to tell the difference immediately unless you have a very small TV and/or you sit really far away.

Post subject: Re: DV iLink
Posted: 11 Jun 2021, 04:05 

DV iLink is the selfish version. You need to ask DV uLink for help.

Posted: 07 Jul 2021, 17:55 

I guess Oppo guys knew that everyone was going to mod the player, they included a header on the board to tap. My upgrade kit came with a 4 pin connector and it was 20 second install. Let’s see if the new Oppo clones will follow suit.

Post subject: Re: LD player for ripping
Posted: 13 Jul 2021, 08:17 

Y = Luminance aka luma= Brightness (makes up the black and white image)
C = Chrominance aka chroma = Colors ( later further separated into primary colors and secondary colors in component video)

NTSC signal carries Y+C composited on the same frequency band hence the name composite video. I don’t know the exact figures but these are some ballpark numbers. Single NTSC band is something like 7-8 MHz, it’s roughly 6.5 MHz on Laserdiscs. Luma makes up about 5 MHz of it and chroma is around 1.5Mhz. Audio information and other non-visible scan lines also makes up another 0.5 MHz or so. If you add all up, they exceed the practical 6.5 MHz bandwidth of the NTSC signal therefor the lower spectrum of Luma and the higher spectrum of Chroma overlaps. Mathematically it is impossible to separate the two without loss. Most Y/C separation filters compare the previous and next scan line to make an educated guess on how to separate the two overlapping signal. These are called 2D filters. More advance filters compare the same scan line from the previous field to next field while also comparing the previous and next scan line on the current field. These are called 3D filters. 3D filter works only if the image is static (or works only on the static parts of the image) therefore the same scan line on the previous and the next field must be the same. If there is a difference then the difference is interpreted as noise or artifact and removed. If there is motion, two consecutive fields will not have the same signal therefore the 3D filtering must not be employed. Since NTSC signal is noisy, the film grain or the signal noise is often incorrectly interpreted as motion. For example clouds and water is though to process on the Y/C separators. Incorrect detection of motion or slow switching between 2D and 3D creates other artifacts. Because of this, not all 3D filters are superior to 2D ones however a good 3D filter can create significantly better image. All LD players except a handful included 3D comb filters. R7G and H9 have these good filters. CLD-97 has 2D only. CLD-97 has much less noise injected to its video output from its electronics therefore has a better composite output but you need a good 3D comb filter to take advantage of this.

All capture cards in existence use 2D filters (will explain why in a bit) with few exceptions but those use older 3D filters that aren’t good. You can use external 3D filters but they are expensive and super rare to find (highly sought after). VHS has the same limitations however the Luma on VHS is much less than 3MHz and the chroma is much less than 1MHz therefore the two never overlaps on the same NTSC band. A very simple 1D notch filter can separate the two without loss. Most capture cards expect VHS as your capture source. Because of this, they never include a killer 3D filter on these.

Post subject: Re: Anamorphic Lens
Posted: 17 Jul 2021, 16:17 

Peter will tell you too I am sure but that’s reasonable for a quality lens. Not the cheapest by a long shot but not the most expensive either.

Posted: 09 Aug 2021, 18:54 

I watched Monster Hunter last night on Kaleidescape in 4K. I am not familiar with the games but I thought the film was very enjoyable. Tony Jaa was great. The CGI effects were convincing. They killed off some of the enjoyable characters very early on. Maybe it was supposed to be that way. The overall story is mediocre to fine at best but it is a fine action movie with good visuals(good CGI), good fight scenes (Tony Jaa) and enjoyable enough story (Ok a little stupid too). The 4K video was stellar, no issues what so ever. The Kaleidescape download was 53GB which I believe matches the 4K disc so I expect the video on the 4K disc to be just as good. I only have a 3.0 ch audio setup so I can’t comment on the Dolby Atmos soundtrack other than the front soundstage which was excellent as well. The film doesn’t have a lot of dialog but it was very clear. No memorable music scores for this film. I would say it is a poor one in that aspect. So the soundtrack is just ambient sound and effects only.

Posted: 10 Aug 2021, 06:06 

Tell us whatever you are on

Posted: 14 Aug 2021, 22:32 

I haven’t watched a VCD for two decades but I remember the ones I made myself from DVDs looked significantly better than the store bought VCD of the same movie. There is going to be some diminishing returns. Try 4K and 2K discs as your master and see where they gets you. I don’t think newer Blu-ray players play VCDs. Is there any use for VCDs nowadays?

Posted: 16 Aug 2021, 01:42 

signofzeta wrote:
VCD sucks.

I feel the same. If certain content doesn’t exist on at least Laserdiscs then I don’t watch it. I can understand the experimental and fun reason the OP has. I once bought these dual sided DVD blanks to make my own mini LDs, I even tracked down a Sony DVD changer which auto flips.

Posted: 16 Aug 2021, 04:55 

Oppo DVD and Blu-ray players play both VCDs and SVCDs but they are not listed in their manual. Most DVD players 2000 and onwards and almost all Blu-ray players won’t play VCDs.

There were also DIVx discs, not to be confused with the Circuit City format. Those were also printed on CD-R blanks but offered far better picture. As always they were all pirate discs.

Posted: 20 Aug 2021, 20:45 

It may have been a six track master but they don’t use it that way and nothing was recorded that way. They didn’t have multichannel music, the entire OST was from things previously released as records. They aren’t quad. Almost nothing pans around the soundscape ever and really at no place it in the movie is there even a scene where sound could pan other than perhaps the part with the monkeys and that is mostly silence. Everything is either barely stereo or pretty much mono. Space is silent in 2001. Breathing is from a mono mic spread 360. It’s a waste of six track, a waste of AC-3, etc. Nobody who knows this movie should be excited about sound upgrades to it. Star Wars? Totally. This is like releasing Annie Hall in Dolby Atmos.

I want that silence coming from all 32 speakers.

Posted: 22 Aug 2021, 04:31 

I bought a PAL/NTSC compatible player like 10 years ago. I have bought a handful PAL titles since and played nearly none. There is really nothing exclusive to PAL. In the year 2021, the same argument can be made for NTSC LDs. There is nearly nothing worthwhile exclusive to LD anymore.

People who have been following these forums knows I have invested significant amount of my time, space and money to LD. Still own 3 or 4 top dog players and nearly a thousand titles but this doesn’t drift me from reality. I don’t see a big point in going into LD other than nostalia anymore.

Your biggest problem will be moving all those LDs and players to another continent before strugging to get a picture from a EU spec TV.

Posted: 22 Aug 2021, 12:56 

Give me an example. Tell me a movie, Hollywood or otherwise that I can’t find on Blu-ray or DVD. People often make that remark but rarely mentions those movies or if they do, those movies are utmost rubbish that no one cares to watch.

Severin, Vinegar, Shout, Arrow, Code Red and many other labels produce many niche titles on Blu-ray that you can’t even find them on LD or VHS. Often times the LD versions are way more expensive and difficult to find. Especially those HK releases.

If you are a movie lover which means you watch your movies, there isn’t much business in LD. If you are a collectard then nevermind what I said.

Posted: 26 Aug 2021, 05:40 

I mean sale or not, this is the craziest thing this site has ever seen and I don’t think it will be topped anytime soon.

Posted: 26 Aug 2021, 23:01 

I think this tread is crazier than cararte starting LD production again. This last call before you pull the listing post was hilarious.

Posted: 30 Aug 2021, 21:08 

rein-o wrote:
It gets removed after 2 or so weeks with no posts.
I for one will never let it close, this one is great, its like the Risk Apocalypse........

I am with you on this. This should be a sticky and never expire.

Post subject: Re: Best laserdisc players
Posted: 01 Sep 2021, 02:05 

cplusplus wrote:
CLD-3030/99S/3080/95 deserve mentions somewhere.

substance wrote:
I have only seen Non-Hi-Vision Sony players

I've never seen a working one. :lol:

I forgot the 95 but I mentioned the 30X0 goes somewhere between 3 and 4. The 95 is identical to 97.

Posted: 01 Sep 2021, 17:54 

I have made some friends at Kaleidescape(Kscape)in the past few months. I have a better understanding of their systems now. Here are Some updates to what I have already mentioned here.

Kscape gets their content from the studios’ digital content divisions, not the disc divisions. This is the reason why there are over 400 movies on 4K from Kscape that have no 4K disc releases.

Also, Kscape digital downloads aren’t exactly the ripped disc files. They get the mezzanine data then they make their own encodes for their platform. Kscape doesn’t need to confine the file sizes to 25GB, 50GB, 66GB and 100 GB disc sizes. For example, Disney is notorious for trying to fit all their movies on to a 66GB disc. 4K disc version of Solo is on a 66GB disc but the Kscape download version is nearly 80GB.

Posted: 14 Sep 2021, 02:09 

There were a couple get togethers a few years ago. Because most LD collectors are creeps, they caused my trouble than good.

Posted: 16 Sep 2021, 22:45 

The Matrix is in 180 collections but also in 270 wishlists. But I don’t think this is the reason. I believe the statistics here is misleading. 180 copies in the whole world is not really a lot. OK the whole world doesn’t care for LDs but I think 180 copies over the number of people still care for LDs is still a small percentage. I get your point and agree with you but I think the situation is more complicated than it seems on the numbers here.

Also, a ton of LD buyers don’t catalog their LDs here, they simply use the store and the database to grab information. Remember that $125k sale? The guy said he has been on the site longer than all of us but never bothered to catalog his 3700 LDs. Heck, I realized on the FB groups that most LD buyers don’t even have an account here. Sure, if there were more participation as in more people hold accounts and catalog their library, the 180 copy count would go up but I think the wishlist count would go up even more.

I thought you were going to talk about even more common titles. I think it is crazier people pay $50-80 for a title you could find if you waited 2 weeks for it to show up on eBay or you could get the DVD or BD for a few bucks. For me for something to qualify rare, it needs to show up for sale less than twice a year.

Post subject: Re: Headphones
Posted: 20 Sep 2021, 01:04 

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought bluetooth protocols reduce lossless CD PCM to lower bitrates for transmission? I thought 1,411-kilobits-per-second data rate of CD is above bluetooth spec in real world conditions. And I am sure that it certainly does not have the capability for a 9..2 MB/sec transmission of 24 bit/192khz audio that the "high def" audio services now offer. Perhaps I am wrong and welcome an education.

The other issue is that you need a DAC in the headphone. Using cheap DACs in these headphones will also limit the audio quality considerably compared to a dedicated external DAC.

Not knocking bluetooth headphones. Clearly the convenience of not having a wire is substantial, but I think the vast majority of serious listeners are using corded headphones.

You are correct. All wireless headphones apply a compression to reduce the data rates. The most standard BT uses AAC compression but later so called “HD” BT or aptX etc.. use higher bit rates but still far from the lossless CD quality bitrates. Anything beyond 16bit 44.1kHz is not even in the possibilities in the near future.

You are also correct on the DACs. Any digital signal needs to be converted to analog before the physical drivers. On wireless headphones, this obviously happens in the headphones themselves. Furthermore, you need amplification after the DACs. This also happens in the headphones if wireless. You are unlikely to find good DACs and headphones amplification inside those tiny circuits in the headphones.

Short answer, if you want good sound good quality, plug the s**t in.

Post subject: Re: AC3 Delay/Sync Query
Posted: 25 Sep 2021, 17:17 

You won’t have many tools to remedy this. Nearly all AVP/AVRs pass through the analog 5.1/7.1 ext input without any processing other than volume level adjustments. You can’t add delay, you can’t apply room correction eq, you can’t apply any DSP like Dolby Surround. In short, the AVR/AVP acts as a 6 channel analog pre-amp which does volume control only. If it is super annoying, try finding a standalone RF demodulator with digital audio out. Most modern AVR/AVPs can add delay to digital audio sources without issue.

Posted: 28 Sep 2021, 05:27 

I watched a couple of Russian sci-fi movies today.

Attraction (2017) was an extra terrestrial first contact movie. It was a bad movie. I enjoyed the few scenes with Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier, Kamov KA-51 attack helicopters and MIG-35. That’s all.

Spacewalker (2017) was the Voskhod 2 mission with the first ever space walk. This movies was excellent in every sense.
Page 6 of 10 [ Search found 230 matches ]