It is currently 23 Feb 2020, 19:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 64 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 25 Mar 2019, 01:14 

My move is June and probably another few months before I put together a working setup. I have a 12x15' storage full of electronics that needs to be moved and setup. Cabling and wiring is probably several miles long. My new place is going to be much smaller (Sqft in LA $$$), I will probably list a ton of stuff for sale in the next months.

Posted: 14 Apr 2019, 16:48 

Try a cav disc on both of them. 703 might be out of alignment and cross reading on clv discs which causes noise like artifacts

Posted: 03 May 2019, 14:06 

In a way it's positive that he won't see SW9.

Posted: 25 May 2019, 21:49 

Yeah, we’re going to need some kind of technical info or this story isn’t of much use. Your friend clearly knew exactly what the issue is, perhaps you can quote him. You’re saying that the TV has a composite video input yet it’s non-functional from the factory. Did your friend build a sync device or an NTSC/PAL converter or flip the pins or what?

I’m sort of surprised Sony didn’t just replace the thing instantly. There’s no reason they should disbelieve your claim and even if they did you guys still have warranty laws over there.

I don’t have any trouble believing that the picture eventually was great. I have a 4K Bravia from 2017 and it is just amazing with LD. People really need to be looking at what new TVs can do before they blow thou$sand$ on boutique boxes. I’m not saying I’ve ever seen those high end scalers in action but I am a total nit picky snob and my main setup is still HD CRT so I’m pretty sure for %90 of LD owners new Sony’s (and probably other makes) will satisfy completely. If I’m not miserable watching any LD setup its probably a good one. :)

Keep telling people current TVs way surpassed almost all of those now obsolete video processors but see many people blow hundreds on them anyway. Expecially those old Faroudja, DVDO and no name boxes are literally door stops now. Unless you have the funds and fortune to find a working Crystalio II or Lumagen Radiance 2144, there is no reason for video processors. They actually degrade video, they are antiquated technology.

Posted: 25 May 2019, 21:57 

It's a 4 pole 3.5mm headphone phone jack on the TV. Pole 2 has video and Pole 3 has common ground. Pole 1 and 4 have L and R audio respectively. It's a breakout cable not supplied with Sony TVs. it's a composite input and stereo audio on one jack. You don't need an engineer for this.

Posted: 08 Jun 2019, 04:35 

1- The wrath of Khan
2- The motion picture (I love how grand and epic it is)
3- First contact
4- Undiscovered country
5- Voyage home
6- Search for Spock
7- Final frontier
8- Nemesis
9- Generations
10- Insurrection
11- Star Trek
12- Beyond
13- Into Darkness

Posted: 14 Jun 2019, 12:49 

Watched I am Mother on Netflix. I really liked it. I generally like these minimalist sci fi films. It is slow, nearly no action and the story is very simple (perhaps stupid too) so it’s not a film for everyone. If you liked Duncan Jones’ Moon, you will probably like this one too.

Posted: 16 Jun 2019, 01:49 

Hi. I have read this thread with intrigue and am interested in procuring a 2144. I reached out to CurtPalme.com and they were very responsive, but basically told me they have no options for getting a 2144. Does anyone here have a lead on a new or used unit? I know that Substance and Admin (Julien) mentioned that they had direct contact to Lumagen (Jim). Any chance one of you can help me with getting info on a 2144? I am trying to build a setup with an HLD-X0 and really need the 2144 to make it right. Thank you in advance for any help.

Mike

I can get you in contact with Jim. They take trade ins towards their new 4K models time to time. They refurbish these trade ins and offer for sale but typically not listed anywhere. I also use a HLD-X0 with my 2144 and haven't seen better picture from LD on any other setup.

You can email Jim@lumagen.com and mention my name Mahir Derman. PM me your full name to me and I will email Jim to look for your email. I don't make any commissions or benefit from this in any way. You will find 2124/44 owners very friendly and helpful. We will help you with the setup and tweaks later on your journey.

Like audioboyz mentions, your "only" other option is CII if you can find any. CII can be a tad sharper in the expense of combing artifacts. Also it would be solely for LDs as the rest of the hardware is pretty antiquated for anything newer.

Posted: 23 Jun 2019, 01:35 

Moebius also designed the spacesuit used in Alien.

So both Geiger and Mobius worked on Alien? that's completely awesome!

I recommend watching Jodorowki’s Dune for how that team came up together for Dune but later used on Alien. Ridley Scott was hired after Jodorowski has been dropped off to direct Dune but later replaced by David Lynch. Scott took Giger, O Banon and others to work on Alien.

Posted: 02 Jul 2019, 11:50 

Not to threadjack, but WTF does this have to do with TV on LaserDisc?
Who knows.
I think this is why it got jacked in the first place :lol:

Did Voyager ever get on Laserdisc or did it stop with DS9? getting slightly back to the topic but these threads... :lol:

First 5 seasons of voyager and ds9 were released in Japan. 60 episodes of ds9 were released in the US. There is a “captains” themed set in the US, also released in Pal in Europe, which includes one episode from tos,tng, voy and ds9. That is the only Voy episode for the US region on LD.

Voy and Ds9 didn’t make it to Blu-ray. There is one ds9 episode as an extra on the tos season 3 Blu-ray set. Tos Blu-rays allow you to watch the series with original and enhanced special effects. Tng Blu-ray are only available in enhanced special effects.

If you want the original effects and original soundtrack in lossless mono (dolby surround for tng) then the Lds are the best way to watch them. All st lds look phenomenal for ld btw. Blurays have the original soundtracks as well but only in lossy dolby digital 2.0.

If you don’t mind the new remixed 5.1 soundtracks then Blu-ray are the best. The enhanced effects are very well made and don’t freak you out like in star wars se.

They are also available on prime and netflix from the same masters as the Blu-rays but the lossy nature of the streaming puts them even a step less than the lds.

Lds are super expensive though. You can probably find good deals on Japanese sets but shipping will cost an arm and a leg. Blu-ray sets are like $10 a season nowadays.

Posted: 19 Jul 2019, 14:08 

You made me power up my LD setup after like a good 8 months of no use :)

Here is my current setup:

HLD-X0(composite) - Radiance 2144(genlock auto) - Radiance 4449 (9Ghz input, 18 Ghz output, genlock off) - Sony XBR-A1E 65” OLED (18 Ghz input)

I used Star Trek : Borg Collective, disk 2 for the test.

I played the disc for 20 mins uninterrupted to warm up the system then tried pause, FF and RW.

Pause and play immediately works perfect, video resumes with sound. If I pause and play several times repeatedly then I lose the signal for a second or two (black screen) then video and sound resumes.

FF and RW works fine if I click the button for a second or less ( a few frame FF or RW), if I hold the button down for more than a second for continuous FF or RW for many frames) then I lose the signal up to 3 or 4 seconds (black screen again) then video and sound resumes normal. My player is single side only so I can’t test side changes.

I turned off genlock on 2144 (4449 was already off). I tried the same test above and lost picture after a couple seconds of FF and it never resumed again, I had to power cycle the 2144. I tried genlock on 4449 and 2144 and it was the same outcome.

I recommend genlock auto on 2144 for sure. 4449 genlock on or off didn’t change anything. I keep mine off.

To be honest, I never really used FF or RW ever before. I simply start the disc and play to the end. With the above settings, losing the picture for a second while FF and RW isn’t bad in my opinion.

ADV7800 chipset in 2144 already has a frame based TBC, weak, poor time base, nonstandard signal support. Adding another device wouldn’t help it. The issue is in the dropped frames that occur during FF and RW which cause clock changes on the HDMI. Up to a second FF and RW seems to be within the compensation of the genlock function on the 2144 but not anything beyond.

I and some others had issues on 4449 on earlier firmware with genlock(which was ported from the older Radiance), especially on Sony Tv/projectors ( and some other brand). Newer 4K displays with HDMI 2.0 are a lot more picky with the clock changes and have difficulty handling dropped frames which causes these clock changes. Lumagen rewrote the genlock code on the 4xxxx models to handle this and it works great now.

For 2144 to work right with the issues you are having, they would likely have to re-write the genlock for the older Radiance units. I can tell you this is extremely unlikely to happen. The new Radiance Pro and older Radiance units are on different codes, it isn’t easy to port codes between them. It would take major effort to write new code for 2144 and it makes no financial sense on a discontinued product.

Try genlock auto on 2144 and report, let’s go from there.

Posted: 27 Jul 2019, 00:16 

Twice a year barnes and noble and criterion online %50 sales, that’s 4 sales a year. Just buy it in one of these sales and it will be $100.

Posted: 06 Aug 2019, 04:15 

Highly dependent on how revealing the rest of your setup is. The player alone isn’t worth it.

I would start with the best display you can buy. Oleds are the way to go on modern displays and last generation pioneer or panasonic plasmas for used stuff. A modern Oled will also benefit any other format you may watch. The infinite contrast is simply amazing.

If you can add a Lumagen Radiance 2144 or Crystalio II, you might like the video on any ordinary player. Radiance will improve all other source excluding 4K, CII is antiquated and good for LD only.

You can always take it further with a hld x0 and reach LD nirvana but as I said upgrading others components will probably give you more improvements than the player alone and they will benefit all formats.

I know these aren’t cheap but the last %10 improvement is always an exponential cost add on.

Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 11:57 

Oh boy

Posted: 21 Sep 2019, 13:25 

Refund their money and they keep their discs. That simple. Then you hope that they will again buy from you in the future.

Posted: 22 Sep 2019, 15:04 

Correct. I agree with everyone above. Buyer b is a thief. His dignity and honor is worth $150. For $150 he will make us talk s**t about him.

I meant the seller should ask for %10 less for the inconvenience. Buyer B should pay that. Rein o is right, you should expose him so we know.

Julien you did nothing wrong. You couldn’t have known this. I don’t believe buyer b will pay so unfortunately seller will come to understand this.

Seller should have asked the items to be returned to him, inspect then ship to the right buyer after clearing the money. He sounds like a honest man and went to enthusiastic about fixing his mistake. It is sad the buyer b doesn’t have the same class.

I would say buyer b name goes to cavaet list.

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Post subject: Re: HDVS Demo disc on eBay
Posted: 04 Oct 2019, 19:48 

If the seller had the player for sale along with the disc then there would be a lot of interest. I got into HD-VMD discs at one point. I am sure most of you have no idea what these are. No they are not UMD discs for the Sony PSP. Believe it or not, HD-VMD was a third option while Blu-ray and HD-DVD were in war. They used regular DVD technology with more layers to make the cost low. There were 2 models released and about 20-25 titles before the format died. I missed out on one auction for a player and about 8-10 titles. I won the second auction which only had 2 titles included. I don’t remember what I paid but it was a couple of hundred or more for both auctions with many bidders. Since then these players showed up for sale many times with no discs included and they all failed to sell even for $25. You got nothing to play it on, it has no value. The same for the players, no discs to play then no value. I have been looking for these discs for over 5 years now and so far found none.

Posted: 25 Oct 2019, 16:46 

I think you are a little confused. DVDO was owned by Anchor Bay Technologies for a while and at that era they made consumer video processors. All DVDO products use ABT chips for this purpose. Faroudja also handled their processing in house. So all their products use FLi chips.

Pms (crystalio) and lumagen use of the shelf parts and build their products. That’s why you will see different parts on different products.

All these were talked about and discussed many times. I will repeat the summary one more time here.

Lumagen 2124/44 and Crystalio II vps-3300/3800 are the only video processors that will give you the next league performance. Your image will significantly improve. Even with less than 20/20 vision eyes you can tell the difference. Lumagen 2144 is virtually noise and artifact free. It is much purer and truer to source. CII can be adjusted to be noticeably sharper in the expanse of artifacts. It is older and buggier. The hardware is too old for anything remotely modern like Blu-rays.

Other video processors(including older Lumagen) will need 20/20 vision to tell subtle differences if any. You can use other processors to improve certain areas but not all like the above two. Lumagen processors will give you the absolute best scaling and color correction (if you have tools to calibrate). Dvdo vp20 and onwards will give you the best progressive scan image on video material but terrible in scaling.

All Faroudja and other video processors should be avoided. All dvdo vp20 and older should be avoided. They are simply too antiquated. They don’t do any processing right except maybe aspect ratio management. With these not only you won’t improve your image but actually you will lose resolution. They simply bob and weave deinterlacing lines. This will work on static images but will cause loss of resolution on motion. Faroudja shut down way before per pixel adaptive deinterlacing so none of the Faroudja stuff has decent processing per today’s standards. Dvdo vp 20 and higher got abt102 chip which has per pixel adaptive deinterlacing. (Optional on vp20 and 30, std on 50).

Posted: 25 Oct 2019, 17:03 

These plans have been abandoned. No future firmware updates are expected for any Lumagen product except their current 4xxxx series.

Posted: 07 Dec 2019, 05:28 

The future will be different from the past, of course, I based my opinion on this fact:)

I agree that if the silicon had imperfections, it would fail within the first year or two but 25+ years is uncharted territory for solid state electronics. We don’t know how much more we can expect them to operate without fail. I do hope we get another 25 years.

Caps will surely die soon. A capacitor is a super battery. It charges and discharges. Resistors also drift away from their ratings over time. These are cheap and relatively easy to replace. No concerns here as you already mentioned.

Posted: 17 Dec 2019, 07:18 

Video Quality:
How did it compare at its launch: up to 5 points
How did it compare at its retirement: up to 5 points

Audio Quality:
How did it compare at its launch: up to 5 points
How did it compare at its retirement: up to 5 points

Content:
Number of titles: up to 5 points
Market penetration: up to 5 points

Packaging:
Package Sturdiness: up to 3 points
Package on Standard releases: up to 3 points
Packaging on Box Sets, Limited and Special Editions: up to 4 points

Laserdiscs:

Video Quality: 9/10
It saturated the existing display technology of the time. It didn’t require a new breed of higher resolution displays but LD had video information for every megahertz bandwidth for your TV. Kept itself well up to date with introduction or letterboxed releases and Squeezed (Anamorphic) releases although only a handful were released.

Audio Quality: 10/10
It had digital audio before any digital music disc format. Analog tracks are still comparable to today’s standards. Kept itself well up to date with additions of AC-3, DTS and Dolby Surround EX. It could potentially have up to 4 separate audio language tracks. It’s audio potential was well realized and utilized for the most part with vast number of AC-3 releases and commentary tracks.

Content: 5/10
LD had a massive library of content but very poor market penetration.

Packaging: 8/10
jackets are easy to damage. They don’t age well unless kept in museum conditions. Also not entirely clear they protect the discs from rot and handling damage. They are visually stunning and most pleasing. Perhaps the only format you may want to collect even if you don’t care to watch the content.

Total: 32/40

D-Theater:

Excellent video. Easily watchable today even on 8K TVs. There was nothing remotely close to its video quality during its entire run.(although very short).

Audio Quality: 9/10
Covered all of the major audio formats of its time. Although it could technically support it, there were never any commentary tracks or multi language titles (loses 1 point for this)

Content: 4/10
Very small selection of about 90 films but quality releases. Later formats HD-DVD and Blu-ray had way more than 90 titles released on their release year.

Packaging: 6/10
Very sturdy packaging, nice choice of theatrical posters on the cover arts for almost all releases. Literally zero box sets, special and limited edition packaging.

Total: 28/40

DVD:

Video Quality: 7/10
Only slightly better picture than LDs and significantly behind of later newer formats. Nevertheless digital video was considered remarkable and a technical achievement on the release.

Audio Quality: 6/10
It supported all audio formats of the time on release but significantly behind of later newer formats. Although it could technically have 5.1 in PCM but this was rarely utilized if ever.

Content: 10/10
Largest content library and the largest market share only rivaled by VHS.

Although it scored the same as LD, points came from Sturdiness and Collector’s edition box sets.

Total: 31/40

Blu-ray:

Its pixel count saturated all existing TVs. You have a 1080p TV? You have 1080 progressive pixels on this disc to cover them all.

Supports every single audio format out there.

Content: 7/10
It has a very large library and keeps growing. Market penetration is still behind DVDs after well over 10 years.

Same as DVDs

Total: 34/40

4K UltraHD Blu-ray:

Video Quality: 10/10
First format you had to buy a new generation TV to be able to watch it.

Same as Blu-rays

Content: 5/10
Excellent choice of films and very good number of releases in only 3 years. Market share is likely shrinking or remains the same at best.

Same as DVDs. Some excellent limited edition sets (Don’t look now, Terminator 2 endoarm)

Total: 33/40

Hi-Vision Laserdisc:

Video Quality: 10/10
You had to buy a new generation TV to be able to watch these. Well ahead of its time.

Audio Quality: 8/10
Could technically have DTS and Ac-3 on the later releases.

Content: 3/10
Excellent choice of titles for a very small selection of 31 films. Other formats had hundreds of releases in their early few years compared to only 31 in 5 years for Hi-Vision LD. Market share literally zero point zero zero zero one.

Packaging: 9/10
Excellent packaging with the exception of Jumanji which came in a standard LD jacket. Very sturdy and protective digibook packaging on almost all titles. These were literally all special/limited edition releases but no crazy collector’s edition release with props and memorabilia.

Total: 30/40

VCD:

Video Quality: 1/10
Terrible video for any time.

Audio Quality: 1/10
Terrible audio period.

Virtually every film and much larger world wide market share than any other format.

Packaging: 5/5
Very protective but least interesting packaging. There might be some interesting box sets out there.

Total: 17/40

HD-DVD:

Same as Blu-ray.

Audio Quality: 9/10
Same as Blu-ray except more release opted for lossy Dolby Digital Plus instead of lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA. Probably because of lesser storage capacity (30GB vs 50GB for BD) otherwise supported all audio formats

Content: 8/10
More impressive titles were coming out on HD-DVD and had more Collector’s edition sets (Forbidden Planet, Harry Potter Set). Very impressive (about) 400 titles in only 3 years. Initially it was outselling Blu-ray too until very last few months. Lost major studio support and suffered a very quick unexpected death.

Same as DVDs

Total: 34/40

VHS:

Video Quality: 5/10
it was half of the available TV resolution on its release and fell miserably behind towards the end. 5 /10 is more than fair.

Audio Quality: 6/10
Excellent audio for starters but well behind competition after only a few years.

Anyone to argue this?

Later plastic boxes are super sturdy but most had paper cases. Can have a very lovely art work and collectable visual for many. Super fancy collectors set with prop/memorabilia were perhaps realized well after it lost its dominance.

Total: 29/40

HD-VMD:

Video Quality: 8/10
Same resolution as Blu-rays and HD-DVDs but much lower bitrates. It was marketed a cheaper alternative to Blu-rays and HD-DVDs while the format war was going on.

Audio Quality: 2/10
It is not clear if the format had the rights to use other codecs but all releases seem to have lossy Dolby Digital 2.0 audio. This only best VCD.

Content: 2/10
Nearly no films and no one has even heard of the format.

Packaging: 5/10
Same as Blu-rays. No known special editions.

Total: 17/40

Ranking:
Blu-ray: 34
HD-DVD: 34
4K UltraHD Blu-ray: 33
Laserdiscs: 32
DVD: 31
Hi-Vision Laserdisc: 30
VHS: 29
D-Theater: 28
HD-VMD: 17
VCD: 17

Posted: 22 Dec 2019, 20:26 

Interesting to see the wide range of opinions here. I think the BD hate is overblown, where are the two guys that used to fight forper on that lol.

I am telling them if LD were still manufactured today they would be getting the same masters with the same orange and teal color timings. Rest assured that they would also implement forced warning and trailers into any new players.

Post subject: Re: new to the forum,
Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 19:03 

Some notes:

Most Laserdiscs aren’t worth the cost of shipping.

The number of discs is determined by the running time. One hour per side with CLV discs, one half hour per side for CAV discs. A short movie may be one disc, a movie in CAV format may be as many as five sides.

Those thick plastic ziplock things, at least one ones I’ve see, can really mess up jackets pretty bad from my experience, especially if the owner liked to leave the jacket in there and just pull the disc in and out. I’d expect the opening edge of the jacket will be pretty dinged up.

The LDDB Top Ten is the last ten discs most people want. It represents what they already have and what the most common discs are. They WERE in demand, but now that there are enough LDs for everyone at super low prices nobody is going to pay much for T2 special edition anymore because they already have three copies.

Good luck. There must be an LD fan on Guam still.

Not related to this ad here but I love it when some people list “most are two disc special editions” for LDs :)

Posted: 25 Dec 2019, 23:44 

There is a somewhat scientific way you can calculate minimum difference between certain players. Image science foundation says average human eye can tell errors in color accuracy if the error is above %3. In other words if you have two TVs side by side, when you play the same material on both simultaneously and let’s say one of TVs colors are off by only %2 then they will look identical to you but once the color accuracies are off by %3 and above then you will be able to point them out. Now keep this in mind but also keep in mind we are more sensitive to certain colors and way less sensitive to others so this %3 is an average. On more sensitive colors we will likely pick up errors of %1 where as less sensitive ones perhaps even %7-8 will look the same. Nevertheless %3 is a good base line.

Now, can you tell a difference between a CLd- 50X and 60X? I will say most of you will say 60X models have slightly less noise. I will say then going from 5 series to 6 series is at least %3 improvement. I think a dvl-909 is somewhat on par with a 604. Let’s climb the ladder from here. 60x, 704, 97, s2, x0. I have 5 players of 5 different levels. I don’t think anyone will argue there are easily identifiable differences between these players. 5x %3 = %15 at least per this calculation. Also remember %3 is when you can start to see difference but this difference can be much greater. So I claim HLD-X0 is at least %15 better than a DVL-909 and this above is how I back my claim. %15 may sound small but in my opinion very significant. Especially since the LD medium has very limited resolution where every scan line and detail is needed.
Page 2 of 3 [ Search found 64 matches ]