It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 21:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 34 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 14 Apr 2019, 16:48 

Try a cav disc on both of them. 703 might be out of alignment and cross reading on clv discs which causes noise like artifacts

Posted: 03 May 2019, 14:06 

In a way it's positive that he won't see SW9.

Posted: 25 May 2019, 21:49 

Yeah, we’re going to need some kind of technical info or this story isn’t of much use. Your friend clearly knew exactly what the issue is, perhaps you can quote him. You’re saying that the TV has a composite video input yet it’s non-functional from the factory. Did your friend build a sync device or an NTSC/PAL converter or flip the pins or what?

I’m sort of surprised Sony didn’t just replace the thing instantly. There’s no reason they should disbelieve your claim and even if they did you guys still have warranty laws over there.

I don’t have any trouble believing that the picture eventually was great. I have a 4K Bravia from 2017 and it is just amazing with LD. People really need to be looking at what new TVs can do before they blow thou$sand$ on boutique boxes. I’m not saying I’ve ever seen those high end scalers in action but I am a total nit picky snob and my main setup is still HD CRT so I’m pretty sure for %90 of LD owners new Sony’s (and probably other makes) will satisfy completely. If I’m not miserable watching any LD setup its probably a good one. :)

Keep telling people current TVs way surpassed almost all of those now obsolete video processors but see many people blow hundreds on them anyway. Expecially those old Faroudja, DVDO and no name boxes are literally door stops now. Unless you have the funds and fortune to find a working Crystalio II or Lumagen Radiance 2144, there is no reason for video processors. They actually degrade video, they are antiquated technology.

Posted: 25 May 2019, 21:57 

It's a 4 pole 3.5mm headphone phone jack on the TV. Pole 2 has video and Pole 3 has common ground. Pole 1 and 4 have L and R audio respectively. It's a breakout cable not supplied with Sony TVs. it's a composite input and stereo audio on one jack. You don't need an engineer for this.

Posted: 08 Jun 2019, 04:35 

1- The wrath of Khan
2- The motion picture (I love how grand and epic it is)
3- First contact
4- Undiscovered country
5- Voyage home
6- Search for Spock
7- Final frontier
8- Nemesis
9- Generations
10- Insurrection
11- Star Trek
12- Beyond
13- Into Darkness

Posted: 14 Jun 2019, 12:49 

Watched I am Mother on Netflix. I really liked it. I generally like these minimalist sci fi films. It is slow, nearly no action and the story is very simple (perhaps stupid too) so it’s not a film for everyone. If you liked Duncan Jones’ Moon, you will probably like this one too.

Posted: 16 Jun 2019, 01:49 

Hi. I have read this thread with intrigue and am interested in procuring a 2144. I reached out to CurtPalme.com and they were very responsive, but basically told me they have no options for getting a 2144. Does anyone here have a lead on a new or used unit? I know that Substance and Admin (Julien) mentioned that they had direct contact to Lumagen (Jim). Any chance one of you can help me with getting info on a 2144? I am trying to build a setup with an HLD-X0 and really need the 2144 to make it right. Thank you in advance for any help.

Mike

I can get you in contact with Jim. They take trade ins towards their new 4K models time to time. They refurbish these trade ins and offer for sale but typically not listed anywhere. I also use a HLD-X0 with my 2144 and haven't seen better picture from LD on any other setup.

You can email Jim@lumagen.com and mention my name Mahir Derman. PM me your full name to me and I will email Jim to look for your email. I don't make any commissions or benefit from this in any way. You will find 2124/44 owners very friendly and helpful. We will help you with the setup and tweaks later on your journey.

Like audioboyz mentions, your "only" other option is CII if you can find any. CII can be a tad sharper in the expense of combing artifacts. Also it would be solely for LDs as the rest of the hardware is pretty antiquated for anything newer.

Posted: 23 Jun 2019, 01:35 

Moebius also designed the spacesuit used in Alien.

So both Geiger and Mobius worked on Alien? that's completely awesome!

I recommend watching Jodorowki’s Dune for how that team came up together for Dune but later used on Alien. Ridley Scott was hired after Jodorowski has been dropped off to direct Dune but later replaced by David Lynch. Scott took Giger, O Banon and others to work on Alien.

Posted: 02 Jul 2019, 11:50 

Not to threadjack, but WTF does this have to do with TV on LaserDisc?
Who knows.
I think this is why it got jacked in the first place :lol:

Did Voyager ever get on Laserdisc or did it stop with DS9? getting slightly back to the topic but these threads... :lol:

First 5 seasons of voyager and ds9 were released in Japan. 60 episodes of ds9 were released in the US. There is a “captains” themed set in the US, also released in Pal in Europe, which includes one episode from tos,tng, voy and ds9. That is the only Voy episode for the US region on LD.

Voy and Ds9 didn’t make it to Blu-ray. There is one ds9 episode as an extra on the tos season 3 Blu-ray set. Tos Blu-rays allow you to watch the series with original and enhanced special effects. Tng Blu-ray are only available in enhanced special effects.

If you want the original effects and original soundtrack in lossless mono (dolby surround for tng) then the Lds are the best way to watch them. All st lds look phenomenal for ld btw. Blurays have the original soundtracks as well but only in lossy dolby digital 2.0.

If you don’t mind the new remixed 5.1 soundtracks then Blu-ray are the best. The enhanced effects are very well made and don’t freak you out like in star wars se.

They are also available on prime and netflix from the same masters as the Blu-rays but the lossy nature of the streaming puts them even a step less than the lds.

Lds are super expensive though. You can probably find good deals on Japanese sets but shipping will cost an arm and a leg. Blu-ray sets are like $10 a season nowadays.
Page 2 of 2 [ Search found 34 matches ]