It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 10 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Pioneer or Panasonic?
Posted: 02 Sep 2015, 00:26 

If were going for cosmetic looks, the Runcos(Lx900 clones) always looked nice!!!

Just my two-cents :mrgreen:

Posted: 31 Oct 2023, 08:39 

Pioneer Announces End of LaserDisc Player Products

January 14, 2009, Tokyo, Japan - Pioneer Corporation today announces that it will cease to manufacture its LaserDisc (LD) players upon completing the production of a total of approximately 3,000 more players.

In 1980, Pioneer introduced its first consumer LD player (VP-1000) in the U.S. market, followed by the Japanese market in 1981 and other markets accordingly. The company has seen worldwide sales of its LD players reach more than 9.5 million units to date in a market that saw worldwide sales top 16.8 million devices. It has contributed to the audiovisual enjoyment of so many consumers all over the world. However, under the market environment in which new media such as DVD and Blu-ray discs now dominate, it has become difficult for Pioneer to procure the parts required to produce LD players. Consequently Pioneer has been forced to terminate production of its LD products.

The final models produced by Pioneer are the DVL-919 (DVD/LD compatible player), CLD-R5 (LD/CD player), DVK-900 (DVD/LD karaoke system), and DVL-K88 (DVD/LD compatible karaoke player).

As for repair services, Pioneer will maintain the spare parts required to restore the normal functions of Pioneer LD players during the minimum storage period.

I thought "Grasshopper" would stop in and say Hello and share some Old News..

Posted: 02 Nov 2023, 06:10 

???

Julien

Julien, Yes I had left the laserdisc scene around 2016-2017, I met a French Woman from Montreal, Quebec, CA(Now my wife as of 2020). I had been so busy with life and further schooling credits with my occupation back in Michigan.
I had service a handful of LD Players from my long-term clients in 2018 before going to Quebec. I think word got around in the private sector. I have had many PM’s lately, and decided I better drop in. I DIDN’T KNOW WHAT TO SAY or WRITE!!
There are a lot of members gone that I always knew and converse with I see. Also, a lot of New Members in the laserdisc scene, and one I just helped out a month ago on here.

PARTS IS A BIG ISSUE!

I thought I better stop in and say HI and explain, been asked a lot the past few months.

\../

Posted: 02 Nov 2023, 06:19 

There were some hand built LD players with built in "AC-3 Demodulators" inside the players and they had it wired out to Digital Coax-Out or Optical-Out. I would have to pull out my Perfect Vision Magazines to tell you the Company that had them. It was at the Height of AC-3 "1994-1995". (Basically, a Auto-Demodulator built in).

MSB had 1 or 2 players with AC-3 Demodulator built in.(Very rare) Clone of the Panasonics LX-900u.

A Company named "Precision Laserdisc(Europe) produced and sold AC-3 Demodulator boards for a very short time.(Before I got into repairing Laserdisc players)

(So, basically use the coax digital or optical out to your receiver and it would be Digital Sound, DTS or Dolby Digital(AC-3) pretty nice!

These Demodulator boards were used for high-end rare LD
Players and high-end upgradable Sound processors and receivers.

I will post more details and photo's when I can locate my sources....

Hope this helps members
Ei
\../

Posted: 02 Nov 2023, 07:07 

Good Ole Rein-o has a nice LD-S1 he uses on a regular basis! He scored in original Box!

It took me 6 years to score my first one back in the day!

Most were mising the control door on the lower right and the remote! :(

No other player shared that Laser Pickup, just like the S2.

Posted: 02 Nov 2023, 09:20 

I just didn't know how to Announce myself!! I thought the title would be a little Attraction!!

I guess I could've said "Grasshopper stopping in to say Hello"

I don't know...

It's nice to see some familiar faces!

Posted: 01 Dec 2023, 01:16 

I did better and cleaner! It will be set at factory specs. Especially the Focus and Tracking gains are critical on a aged laser and put back to spec! Yes, the composite output will be the same as the 99, 704 series of players.

CROSSTALK Adjustments can take time on these series also and that is what makes it shine.

Most of my long-term LD Diehards don't ask me on price! They just ask when can it be ready! :mrgreen:

GRASSHOPPER \../

Posted: 01 Dec 2023, 03:38 

thanks to idfan, for your response.
I'am in the process of re-capping the power supply and relubricating the mechanism.
I will look for a 703 or 704 and check to see how it looks on the sony crt.

Thanks to all other responses, i appreciate it.

Damn you just missed one that sold dirt cheap for $101 on ebay with free shipping plus tax. :shock:

You have a good backup collection of LD Players! I always did like the 702 as it had a good film look to my eyes.
But those were the good ole CRT Days. Back then on a Calibrated Rear Projection 65" I could tell you what player your using 95% of the time. Big Difference between a 704_703/99 series vs 97, 95 3080. I just always preferred the Analog Film look of the later. I kept thinking there was a mod tutorial on the LX900U? Maybe I'm wrong. It was fixed on the Runco II. And I believe the Runco I also the screen problem. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Those were the days comparing players. I use my Panasonic Plasma for viewing and that's what I'm happy with.

Posted: 14 Dec 2023, 13:11 

From another thread on the same subject, one of several.

“Lord of the Rings extended Trilogy LD BOX (CAV)

At about 11.5 hours that’s 23 sides assuming you get lucky breaks and no bonus. Enough bonus footage exists to double the running time if not multiply it by six. Obviously bonus would be CLV so figure...14 discs? Maybe 15?

Worth buying an LD-W1 for, sadly it doesn’t exist. If it did...it would have cost $1000 street and bored us to tears all over again but the number of side changes would probably cause the average Tolkien fan to lose a pound or two, not to mention the muscle building one gets from hauling a LD box that weights 25 pounds to all your friends houses.”

Imagine just one of the sides rot over the years and you have to get another full set to view them.

YES, Many of us talked about this years ago if we would win the Lotto :mrgreen: It would be Dolby EX like Phantom Menace!! I wish they did release this before the Pulled the Plug!

I guess I don't post much about LD in these topics. But I just wanted too chime in. "One Ring to Rule Them All"

\../

Posted: 23 Apr 2024, 21:58 

The Spindle FG sensor also has to be carefully removed without breaking the plastic tabs. The plastic has become very brittle. Just finished a 703 and 704 for a member on here. The Spindles are wearing out quickly. He sent one parts 503 and that spindle was half locked. You can't use penetrating oil like on the older 701/702, etc. Those bearings worn out quickly new even on 503/703/704/99 and Karaoke models using same spindle. And the DVL's , 505, etc. 1995-1998. Spindles were low quality and seen many power Supplies burnt, because of the stress. I'm not sure if I even have enough spares to sell, still have a 703 that needs one replace... I've been backed up on service, because power Supplies need some recapping.

\../
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 10 matches ]