It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 06:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 206 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: What up.
Posted: 04 May 2020, 19:37 

Hello.

You may have had most of the LDs that you were looking for but with 1000 discs falling into your lap there are sure to be a few among them of interest, if nothing else you have got plenty to view for awhile when you get a player.

Hope you bag one soon.

Have fun digging through the LDs.

Cheers :thumbup: .

Posted: 07 May 2020, 12:59 

P.S. - not sure what "are you taking the p**s" means, so.... hard to respond.

Really?

Are you for real, are you joking, having a bit of fun..... taking the p**s.

Seriously most sellers of any "collectables" would not be going onto a forum regarding the subject asking for details of what to sell to them to make a profit from them. Now profit is not a dirty word & all that but there are ways to find things out & I don't think you have been in any way subtle on this.

There are sellers that have little or no real interest in the LD format but they don't come on asking basically how do I make money out of you guys & then asking what you have to do to do this, rare discs - pricing - values. Yes get others to tell you what to sell them then make as much as you can from them. Try doing that on some of the other niche interest sites/forums & see the reaction you would get, it would not be the rather mild reaction you have got on here.

Nothing against you & no digs but I do feel that your approach has not been subtle in any way.

What is your hobby or interest if you have one & I will see if there is any way to make a bit of money from you but might need some advice from you first.

Posted: 07 May 2020, 20:55 

Thanks for the above post substance.

That I think really does cover how many of us have got the collections we now have.

You have put that all very well & I hope a certain person really takes note of your excellent summation.

Cheers to all here :thumbup:

Posted: 08 May 2020, 12:33 

From 1997 - '98, a real glimpse of the future there then.

Thanks to you pokefraker, these posts are really interesting & really great to see.

A big two thumbs up again to you :thumbup: :thumbup: .

Cheers

Post subject: Re: RLV Discs
Posted: 10 May 2020, 09:28 

If it was not for you pokefraker I seriously doubt any of us on here with perhaps one or two exceptions would have ever seen these discs in action, if there are exceptions they have not come on here with the detail & actual footage you have so kindly provided.

You have put quite a bit of time & effort into your input & please be sure it is genuinely appreciated - I am pretty sure not just be me.

The service/dealership footage you are posting is so helpful also & again you are letting us view LDs that many of us would not get a chance to see.

Thanks to you pokefraker.

Cheers :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D925] E0 Error
Posted: 13 May 2020, 07:41 

She's been all fixed up, fully serviced and is currently on the way back to me! Hopefully I'll get my little 925 back at some stage this week.

The repair person sent these snaps to me. I'll take some snaps of the inside if I feel brave enough to open the player again. Don't want to tempt fate! I'll post again once it's back in it's rightful home in my AV cabinet and I've spun a few platters in it. :D

Question. What are the 'Control' ports for?

http://i.imgur.com/mGz6lsQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ENV1n5Z.jpg

Really pleased to hear that news.

I hope when she is back in your hands all is as good as new & you are spinning your LDs for many years to come.

I would be gutted if my 925 ever went south.

Enjoy your "new" 925 :thumbup:

Posted: 15 May 2020, 17:28 

That certainly is an interesting wee item to find within your purchase.

Did you know at the time of ordering where it was coming from or only when you opened the package?

Thanks for sharing it on here.

Posted: 15 May 2020, 23:52 

I didn't buy these. They were thrown in with a local purchase of a CLD-S315.

Malibu Video Sampler, The (1993) [72333-80036-6]
Metamorphosis (1990) [HLV-9005] The ref no. on mine is HLV-9005A
Sony: Wide Demonstration [HLV-9098] The ref no. on mine is HLV-9099
SONY Presents Action Arena: Black Trinitron Demonstration Disc (1991) [HLV-9008A]
MGM/UA Home Video Laserdisc Sampler (1990) [ML102475]
Apollo 13 (1995) [20-925]
YAMAHA Digital Home Theatre Demonstration Laserdisc (1988) [DLD-3-88]
Video Essentials (1996) [ID3487ISF]
Tune-Up A.V. (1988) [50LS 5023]

And two of these:
THX WOW! (1990) [THX-WOW]
One has a date of 1994, and the other a date of 1995.

That is a pretty cool bunch of demo discs you have bagged there..... enjoy.

Posted: 17 May 2020, 16:34 

Ghost in the Shell the 2017 "live action" movie.

On TV last night so gave it a watch.

The film was apparently not screened for critics before its release which usually has good reason behind decisions like that.

The Ghost in the Shell movie had some rather cool visuals and a surprisingly good performance from Scarlett Johansson, but is sure lacks the sense of true impact that the source material clearly had - it could have been worse though.

The best I can say is they tried hard but, yet again, perhaps best to leave things like that as they are.

Thankfully the long talked about AKIRA movie looks to be going nowhere.

Posted: 18 May 2020, 17:23 

The CLD-D925 is now back in my AV unit and all set up again. I even 'treated her' to a shiny new set of 'gold plated' composite cables as a welcome home present. :lol:

Connected everything up, powered up the old girl and she is back in 100% tip top shape. Span a quick NTSC disc (The Late Shift) and all appears to be well. She arrived double boxed (my original retail box inside a whopper outside box and extra packing materials) which was a good thing as the courier dropped it at my door on it's side! :evil:

You can certainly notice the difference a new belt makes. I think mine wasn't on the way out too much, but heck, get it changed while getting everything else done. The trays certainly seem to open and close marginally quicker and smoother than before. Maybe it's the whole system re-grease, clean, motor holder upgrade and the new spindle motor, but the system seems a little quieter too?

Anyway, hopefully everything will stay in top shape. The old girl looks like she just rolled off the Pioneer assembly line back in September 1997 (the date printed on my owner's manual).

Happy days are here again. :D

<CASE>Mark this case as solved!</CASE>

That is good news, enjoy spinning your big silver discs again.

I had my fingers crossed for you at this end so can uncross them now then!

Posted: 18 May 2020, 19:36 

Thanks very much!

It wasn't cheap at all to go through all this. However it still worked out FAR cheaper than trying to source another 925 in unknown condition.

A bit gutted about the warped disc. I only bought it recently. I'm not going to bother sending it back as it cost nearly nothing (aside from destroying my LD player!.

It was a film I wanted to see and have no idea if it exists in better quality. Can't find another LD of it either.

3 Men and a Cradle (1985) [VL5192]

See above if anyone knows?

There are four copies of that title on sale here in the LDDB shops, US release with English subtitles.

They are not overpriced but the postage from the USA might be a little ripe!

Again enjoy your "new" player :thumbup: .

Posted: 18 May 2020, 22:16 

Yes, please add it - every LD matters :thumbup: .

Posted: 19 May 2020, 21:03 

Not all CDVs are rotted, just ones pressed at a particular plant and they happened to do most PAL CDVs. Japanese and American CDVs are probably %95+ not rotted.

Perhaps should have pointed out above but the CDVs that I had were all PDO pressed & most were problematic, came with a collection bought years ago & I was so disappointed when most were so bad as there were some interesting discs among them.

At one time so called "important visitors" including artists & record company personnel were allowed to go into any part of the Blackburn plant including the clean rooms. There were many pressing/quality problems & around mid '89 visitors were stopped from going into the clean rooms & had to view the process through the glass screens. They (PDO Blackburn) claimed that the problems were "organic" & stated that "we would get good pressings one week, but then not the next". The fail rate was apparently shockingly high & Polygram went public about the high returns rate & poor sales due to the problems which more or less forced changes at the Blackburn plant - ironically Polygram was an offshoot of PHILIPS at the time & that may have been the reason they spoke so openly about the issues at that time.

Posted: 19 May 2020, 21:19 

Thanks. I have a couple more unrelated LD's that don't appear to be in the LDDB. I will add those too.

Thanks for doing that.

If I pick up any LDs that are not in the database I always add them & include the cover & any other relevant pictures when I can.

I really feel that it is the least we as LDDB users can do, so many people have commented on threads that they have discs not listed here, often asking questions about them but never adding them, a little selfish perhaps?

I have added quite a few of the motorsport/F-1 LDs plus a few others & not sure if anyone ever looks at them but they are there, even if they are never looked at it surely helps with the total number of titles produced & the like.

Thanks again for adding your discs, every LD matters!

Posted: 22 May 2020, 01:24 

The paper/CD problem has been alluded to a few times.

A small section from Wikipedia under "Compact disc bronzing".

CD bronzing seems to occur mostly with audio CDs manufactured by Philips and Dupont Optical (PDO) at its plant in Blackburn, Lancashire, UK, between the years 1988 and 1993. Most, but not all, of these discs have "Made in U.K. by PDO" etched into them. Discs manufactured by PDO in other countries do not seem to be affected. A similar, if considerably less widespread problem occurred with discs manufactured by Optical Media Storage (Opti.Me.S) in Italy.

PDO acknowledged that the problem was due to a manufacturing error on its part, but it gave different explanations for the problem. The most widely acknowledged explanation is that the lacquer used to coat the discs was not resistant to the sulfur content of the paper in the booklets, which led to the corrosion of the aluminium layer of the disc, even though PDO later said it was because "a silver coating had been used on its discs instead of the standard gold." Peter Copeland of the British Library Sound Archive confirmed that silver instead of aluminium in the reflective layer of the CD would react with sulfur compounds in the sleeves, forming silver sulfate, which has a bronze colour. A combination of the two factors seems likely because, as Barbara Hirsch of the University of California points out, the oxidation could only have occurred if the protective lacquer did not seal the metal film and substrate well enough.

It is worth reading all of the page on their site.

Posted: 23 May 2020, 22:59 

I also noticed that if you switch on HQ Circuit mode on the CLD-D925, it seems to soften the picture. At least to my eyes it does. Does anyone know more about the HQ Circuit mode on this player? What is it trying to achieve?

I do remember that a few reviews did refer to the HQ mode thing as "highly questionably" & I don't use it.

The DVL-919E that I had for a while years ago had a rather soft image which went even softer when the HQ mode was on, a bit from the laserdiscarchive site.....

Less obvious for the LD mode is a HQ (High Quality) mode for playing LDs. This engages a noise filter for shaving high frequency detail from the picture.

A pretty useless feature in my eyes.

Posted: 26 May 2020, 18:21 

Found the magazine with the PDO CVD pressing problems article.

Quite interesting & I will get it on soon.

Cheers.

Posted: 27 May 2020, 01:40 

From a magazine dated November 1989 is an article on CVD & pressing problems.

Quite interesting & goes through how they solved the pressing problems - solved the problems though time tells a different story now.

It was under their TECHNOLOGY section & it is below.

DISC MAKER EXPLAINS PRESSING PROBLEMS.

Britain's only manufacturer of compact video discs - the video version of CDs - has broken eight years of silence to talk about the problems it has encountered in pressing discs at its factory at Backburn in Lancashire.

PdO, a company which was set up as a joint venture between Philips in the Netherlands and DuPont, the American chemicals giant, has improved the standards of production at the factory. At the same time, there have been changes in the technical standards for playing the discs, which are known in the trade as CDV discs.

Pressing faults are not a problem on audio CDs as they are with CDV discs. This is because the error-correction codes included in the digital sound signal effectively conceal them. There is no error correction for the video signals, which are analogue. So even the slightest defect shows up on the screen, usually as white or black "blips".

PdO decided to talk openly about its problems partly because of recent criticisms from David Fine, the president of the record company Polygram, a subsidiary of Philips. Fine blamed the failure of CDV discs in Europe on the poor quality of pressings. The industry announced CDV discs in 1987 but it did not launch them until a year of delays had passed.

Engineers at the PdO factory now believe that they have finally cracked the technical problems which left them unable to press enough acceptable CDV discs reliably. The main breakthrough was a change in the technical standards for playing CDV discs; this has made the discs easier to press.

Dave Wilson, the company's manager of marketing services, admits; "No one anticipated the level of control that would be needed. The problem was not the size of the disc; it was the need to put digital sound on the disc along with analogue video of PAL standard [the standard for European TV]."

The disc rotates at a speed which varies continually, in order to keep the relative speed of the read-out laser over the surface constant. Because the speed of rotation is always changing, the relationship between successive TV pictures recorded in the spiral of pits on the disc is not simple. If the laser beam in the player is not perfectly focused on one turn of the spiral, it will read different parts of several pictures at the same time.

To meet the new standard, the disc's speed is now varied in small steps, as many as 10 in each rotation. The result is that similar parts of successive pictures in adjacent turns of the spiral align neatly. If the laser's spot of light overlaps them, there is less risk of interference on the screen.

Joint research between PdO and Philips' Centeral Laboratories in Eindhoven showed how the shape of the pits critically affects the interference between the analogue video signal, which contains the picture information, and the digital sound signal. The signals have to be mixed together before recording and unscrambled on play-back; interference produces a fuzzy picture.

The shape of the pits depends on a string of variables; the intensity of the laser beam used to cut the pits in a layer of light-sensitive material on the glass master disc; the degree of focus of the beam; the chemical nature of the light-sensitive layer; and the chemical development of this layer.All these parameters, Blackburn found, were "organic" and varied unpredictably from day to day. "We would get good pressings one week, but then not the next," said Wilson.

The factory in Blackburn has now tightened control of all stages of the production process. Artists making recordings and other important visitors from record companies are no longer allowed to go inside the clean rooms where vital processes are carried out. They must look through glass windows instead.

Like all plants around the world that press CDV discs, Blackburn still faces one problem. Each master disc, which is made of glass, can produce only one electroplated-nickel stamper, which is used in the injection molds to press the finished duplicate discs. When the stamper fails, usually after four or five thousand pressings, another master disc must be made, This means that the discs cost much more than tapes.

Sorry folks but just noticed that I had not put on where the article was published.

It was in the 18th November 1989 issue of NEW SCIENTIST magazine.

It also has a bit titled NEW COMPACT DISC VIDEO WILL CRAM THE PITS which has details of a CD sized disc that NIMBUS were working on that would carry an hour of video, to that point they were up to discs that played for 30 minutes but they did state that it would "be years rather than months before consumers can buy players and discs".

Posted: 03 Jun 2020, 12:42 

Fancied something light hearted and nostalgic so picked this up the other day:

Yogi Bear: Hanna Barbera Personal Favorites .

Hi odotb3,

hope you enjoyed the LD & it perhaps brought back some memories.

This title does not have a front or rear cover picture, can you update that if you can?

Every cover counts & it would be appreciated.

Only watched a few eps. My yogi bear impression is still spot on after all these years. :lol:

I definitely will update it. I dont have many laserdiscs in the collection that havent had the pictures updated but the ones that I do I've slowly got around to adding. I added front and back covers for Twin Dragons the other day.

Thanks for that :thumbup: .

“I’m so smart it hurts. It’s because I’m smarter than the average bear.”

Posted: 08 Jun 2020, 10:27 

Hello :thumbup: .

Posted: 11 Jun 2020, 00:48 

How about the rather superb BBC TV series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Also Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii, a great one on LD (various editions issued) & the DVD can be picked up fairly cheaply & has the original version plus the so called Directors Cut - four guys when they really were on top form.

Hope your issues improve for you, take care.

Post subject: Re: Fawlty towers is racist
Posted: 12 Jun 2020, 23:50 

Lastly...when the very guy who made thing thinks it’s time to give it a break...who are you?

Just a guy posting on here pointing out what is happening in the UK at the moment.

I am not defending any show or series but some things are being done for the most banal reasons.

BTW Leigh Francis has only done what he has because of comments from Trisha Goddard after he put a BLM thing on twitter or instagram or whatever it was - Craig David & Trisha Goddard among others have had quite a number of issues with him in his Avid Merrion incarnation for years. Perhaps he is growing up a bit now.

Very odd how some things are happening, TV shows, cartoons, films now pulled or cut/changed.... what next - change history?

Post subject: Re: Fawlty towers is racist
Posted: 14 Jun 2020, 03:36 

Triangles & Squares, really?

Given what has happened in the US, protests worldwide - very ugly in London & Paris - plus what has just happened now in Atlanta something is seriously wrong. The images from Canada are not easy to watch either.

Way beyond Fawlty Towers & Gone With The Wind & all that.

How can it be fixed before things really explode?

We are one human race & this is a really sad time.

Take care all.

Posted: 18 Jun 2020, 23:27 

On UK ebay at the moment is a copy of THE MATRIX US issue on LD for £1000 , quite a listing description - see below.

Here it is...

If you're looking at this then you know what you want or are just LD curious...

The MATRIX, 1999, Double Laserdisc, Widescreen Edition.

Watched just once & stored upright in darkness since then.

There are few light creases around the back left corner & front right corner. Unless you have OCD (like I do & I'm okay with them), you shouldn't find them too offensive. The reason for these is that the shrink-wrap sometimes shrinks more than it should almost immediately upon application & causes this condition. It then just gets tighter & less flexible over the years. Shrink-wrap is simply not suitable for application on cardboard & other pliable materials. I have hundreds of unopened laserdiscs, a few of which have the same issue. Although gladly accepted open & clear of shrink wrap by collectors, it's usually better to have a sealed item but only if the shrinking shrink-wrap isn't damaging the sleeve. In this case the removal of the evil film (the shrink-wrap, not the movie) has probably kept it in better condition, the marks were apparent when I bought the item sealed & the shrink-wrap was completely removed by me to keep it straight as possible. All the corners are free from chaffing & there's no scuffing on the 3 sealed sides. There is one miniscule ding on the rear open side (visible in pictures, just).

Please don't buy this unless you'll be okay with these minor blemishes. Please bear in mind that antiques are rarely perfect. If you are a collector, you know what you will accept & what you won't so the choice is yours. I'm not haggling over price or getting into a Dutch auction with this, I only have one & it is a prized possession.

Purchased from Ken Crane in California. I tried to buy two copies but was refused as the LD format ceased within 12 months & this was a rare LD immediately upon issue, i.e. a truly limited run, pressed just once.

If you want proof of this, then check out how prices have risen astronomically in the last few years. It has been said that this LD could become one of the top 10 most wanted, due to it's most advanced effects at the time & even more so now that The Matrix 2023 is looking more & more like a reality now, a full quarter of a century later. What can we expect? Even the Millennial Generation will have their minds blown...

I'm old, laserdisc was the future, as was videodisc before that. I own hundreds of laserdiscs but am now starting to sell my immense music & video collection.

I'm not leaving all this stuff to my children, grand children or beyond; I'm gonna cash in for the next few years & have it supplement my pension to provide all the Tequila & hookers I need til I check out.

Catalogue number 17665. Barcode 85391-76656.

Condition is very good, although I'd like to say it was somewhere between that & near mint. I personally believe that this is one of the best ever offered in the last 10 years or so, I hope you do too.

If you look at picture 5, you will see how I have just gently eased apart the opening where the disc is inserted. As you go over the edge & inwards, there is a little discolouring of the sleeve which is generally commonplace at this point at 10 years old & beyond. It's just microbes in the air that settle on & lightly blemish nice warm soft white cardboard. It settles on other harder surfaces too but can be wiped off in these cases.

I have explained a 21 year old laserdisc to the best of my ability & with all the terminology I know.

PLEASE NOTE: I will cover the P&P cost in the UK only.

For anywhere outside UK, please contact me for P&P price.

PLEASE CAN I JUST SAY TO ALL THE CYBER WARRIOR TROLLS WHO DON'T WANT TO BUY THIS BUT THINK THEY ARE SO-CALLED COLLECTORS WHO JUST WANT TO TELL ME WHAT IT'S WORTH OR WHAT I'M GOING TO GET FOR IT, JUST BUTT OUT. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR BULLSH*T EVALUATIONS BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT LASERDISCS. I WILL LIST ALL THE CHARLATANS WHO OFFER ME THEIR UNREQUESTED ADVICE, SO YOU KNOW THE W*NKERS TO AVOID WHEN CONSIDERING BUYING RARE LASERDISCS. WHY OH WHY OH WHY ARE THESE F*CKWITS TRYING TO POLICE THE LASERDISC MARKET ON EBAY??? I THINK I KNOW...

Here are the losers to avoid:

1) lasermattic
2) plex_3675
3) swto41
4) adv_4300
5) chum437
8( wnkstr69er

Yes, these are the first of the malingering ebay laserdisc trolling police who have contacted me with alt IDs saying they have never seen the item before & want to purchase it off ebay (fee free) & who want to know what other items I have. Either that or for some reason are trying to sell me one of the same, when I am clearly trying to sell something. All reported to ebay. Further details to follow...

Now after that if you click the ask seller a question button & go to "other" a couple of things come up.....

Other: We found 2 answer(s)
I don&#39;t suppose you want to.buy my mint one for £100 ? Its still sealed only opened to watch .
zig.bob : No I don&#39;t you complete f*ckwit! Don&#39;t you want to start making real money out of a lame format from the pensioner generation??? You stoopid twat...
Hi, Just a heads up. I’ve been collecting laserdiscs over 20 years. The value of the US release Matrix is £120-200 depending on market conditions. The Hong Kong release is worth around £650. You will
zig.bob : Ah, the oracle speaks...Let&#39;s see how I do versus all the supposed know it alls like yourself. I&#39;ve been here before &#38; sold $5 CDs for £80. You&#39;re an amatuer collector, not a professional.

Well if I am one of the CHARLATANS, W*NKERS or F*CKWITS then so be it, just thought it may bring a smile to some of the forum users here.

Good luck with your sale zig.bob from an "amatuer (amateur) collector, not a professional" & enjoy "all the Tequila & hookers " - have fun.

Posted: 19 Jun 2020, 18:10 

Just a wee update.....

The MATRIX 1999 Double LASERDISC Watched ONCE Stored upright in dark CAT# 17665
Price:£1,000.00
This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.
Ended:19 Jun, 2020 17:30:54 BST
Page 4 of 9 [ Search found 206 matches ]