It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 206 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 02 Sep 2020, 16:37 

Nice lot of discs there teddanson.

The M.C. Escher one is interesting, don't be too mashed while watching it though!

Your Kate Bush Live at Hammersmith Odeon LD is a good one & is along with the Japanese '87 Digital Selection LD much better than the early Japanese release & the early UK PDO pressing - it looks to be in great condition too.

Enjoy :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Warriors Two 1978
Posted: 04 Sep 2020, 23:40 

rein-o wrote:
Well its non existent until you post a picture of it.

Would be great for you to post pictures so others can know of the disc.
Thanks,

Yes please update - every update helps.

Posted: 09 Sep 2020, 19:33 

Having said that I noticed on the image showing the LD sleeve that there were addresses for PDO France as well as UK, did they also have a disc manufacturing plant in France too?

No PDO pressing plant in France unless I am way off the mark but pretty sure I am not in this case.

They had pressing plants in the UK & the Netherlands - Philips PDO in Blackburn & in the Netherlands - Philips PDO Eindhoven.

I think the Eindhoven plant was used more for test pressing & research & development rather than mass production - anyone who knows more on this please clarify.

Cheers.

Posted: 09 Sep 2020, 22:53 

I was curious when it was posted here, may be interesting & if it is a PAL disc I have no problems with that.

I contacted the seller & the post cost was set at a more reasonable level so took the plunge.

When it gets to me I will post details on what it contains.

It has been ages since I purchased any LDs so this one is down to you rein-o !

Cheers :thumbup: .

Posted: 10 Sep 2020, 03:33 

Thanks firehorse_44 :thumbup:

Really looking forward to this one.

all fades before melange

Posted: 12 Sep 2020, 02:34 

I so hope this is going to be as good as it looks to be.

A great trailer & the reworked Eclipse on it really fits so well.

walk without rhythm

Post subject: Re: Diving in...
Posted: 12 Sep 2020, 02:55 

Hello Xander,

I am also in Scotland & I fully understand the concerns regarding LD players arriving damaged, not much fun when that happens.

Your best bet is to pick the player up from the seller - you get the chance to see the unit in action & avoid the "it was in perfect working order when I sent it out" scenario which can happen.

You may have to travel a bit of a distance though.

I have picked up a few players in the past from north of the border so they do turn up but not so much now.

Sadly there is a seller in Scotland that should be avoided. If you get the "sorry can only send out, no personal uplift" from a seller in Scotland please take care & perhaps best avoided.

Good luck with the player hunt.

Posted: 16 Sep 2020, 23:29 

The disc arrived today.

Quite surprised to find it was still sealed so been sitting never used somewhere for over 30 years.

It plays well, a few spots every now & again but not distracting so not a PDO snowstorm.

CAV & runs for around 30 minutes, the same footage is on both sides of this disc.

The rolling text at the start is LE CNT GRONOBLE presente "SALLE BLANCE" - (White Room) Copyright CNET - CNS/DICET-COM Septembre 1989

It is actually an interesting disc on the CNET plant near Grenoble in France covering the research, development & production of silicone chips for high definition television broadcast, mobile phones, phone cards & more. It goes through the various stages of research & the production involved - most of this is showing what was still to come & most of it is pretty spot-on with a lot of what was being predicted coming to fruition. Also quite a bit of detail on how clean rooms work & the conditions needed to maintain the required standards.

It has French spoken on one track & English spoken on the other.

I wish I had the equipment (& the knowledge) to upload this as I think others here may find it of interest.

Thanks rein-o for the original posting on this as if you had not popped the details on here I would more than likely have missed it.

Post subject: Re: New Member
Posted: 21 Sep 2020, 19:12 

Mike they are worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay.

With the number of LDs released over the formats commercial life there are really only a few worth more than a couple of dollars/pounds each now.

You can check the past sales history on here & ebay for a rough idea but on ebay ignore the silly buy-it-now prices you will see.

How many LDs have you got?

Posted: 21 Sep 2020, 21:24 

I had a copy of that disc pass through my hands years ago, pretty sure there was no "U" cert label applied.

Is it not a sticker? Perhaps applied by someone from another disc for whatever reason. I knew a seller who used to do silly things like that - swap inserts around - swap stickers around - apply random stickers & he thought it was a way of making a disc "rare" & I am not kidding.

BTW the copy that I had years ago played well with on issues as far as I remember.

Posted: 22 Sep 2020, 01:45 

Interesting stuff teddanson & thanks for the clip.

Your summation on the "U" certificate on the cover may be spot-on, it was pretty crazy some of the nonsense that went on back then with the home video market.

Again thanks :thumbup: .

Posted: 23 Sep 2020, 17:17 

As above - thank-you Julien.

What you have done & do here really is appreciated.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Posted: 23 Sep 2020, 23:53 

WOW.... what a great lot to bag & for 1 yen!!!

I love the F1 / rally / bike / motorsport LDs & I am ashamed to say I am rather envious here.

There are a couple or three I have not seen before & pretty sure they are not on the site here - would you please update them when you get the time to do so?

Enjoy spinning them when they arrive.

1 yen.... :clap:

Post subject: Re: Rot and rot ratings
Posted: 24 Sep 2020, 22:41 

Do most people here not really know what the dreaded rot actually is?

There are quite a few titles that are known rot nightmares like Beauty and the Beast ~ Work in Progress, the US DADC Eraser & the like that are really hard to find perfect copies of & others where you may have to have two or three copies pass through your hands before you find a good one - others though are questionable on the rot reports.

A few years ago I had a bit of a debate with an LD collector about the PIONEER Japanese pressed Japanese 1996 release of THX 1138 which he was very unhappy about as he paid what he though was a high price for a great condition copy of & when it arrived he though it was "a f*@+ing rotter" when he played it. He had checked the rot report on it here & saw it is listed as a low probability rot risk disc with one person marking it as having light rot. Ready to get onto the seller for a refund as he had said he had played it & it was a good player - it was a good player.

At the start, particularly during the opening credits, there are coloured spots on the feature image - "there it is, it's a rotted disc" he insisted but it is a widescreen presentation & I pointed out that the black bars above & below the image were spot free. It took him a while to get his head round the fact that the black bars are part of the work done by Pioneer when mastering the feature for pressing. As the feature runs the spots are not as marked till no spots at all after a short while.

Would most users here not know that it was not rot causing the colour spots but the spots being on the source supplied to PIONEER? Perhaps the person who has marked this as having light rot has been unlucky & got a rotted copy but out of fifty five declared in collections & only one rot report would most people not see the title as a pretty safe bet?

Where more than one plant has pressed the discs for a release perhaps the plant that had the rot issue should be pointed out in the report making it easier for buyers to know what to look out for & what to avoid, very rare for all manufactures on same title pressings to get them wrong.

It would be interesting to know how many titles are wrongly reported but we are not likely to ever know.

Posted: 27 Sep 2020, 16:42 

laserhazer - the post from substance above is a perfect summation, don't think you will get it put any better.

Posted: 30 Sep 2020, 12:14 

If they do throw out their parts inventory, does this spell the end of OEM LD servicing? That would be a real bummer. I don't have any Japanese players and therefore cannot fill out the form but I love my Pioneer player and I hope the forms are successful!

I do not have any Japanese market players myself - a CLD-D925 & a CLD-1010 - but they are PIONEER Japanese made.

You can still send a message, if enough people get on to them it may help.

Polite pester power might help as the more people that make contact will let them know that Julien is genuine & sincere in his request.

Posted: 30 Sep 2020, 16:47 

These should be fairly accurate but if anyone else could confirm just to be sure.

Pioneer DVL-9/90 LD/DVD Player
Dimension WxHxD (mm) 440 x 140 x 463
DVL-90 Elite may by a few mm longer in width.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Laserdiscs
Posted: 04 Oct 2020, 16:46 

If you do a search here there are quite a few threads that should help.

Mild soapy water usually does the job even on very dirty LDs.

Post subject: Re: My new LD player!
Posted: 07 Oct 2020, 13:17 

That looks very tasty..... hope it arrives in good time.

Enjoy spinning your big discs on it, please let us know how it performs.

:thumbup:

Posted: 08 Oct 2020, 13:08 

teddanson - thanks for your posts & the detail you go into.

Cheers :thumbup:

Posted: 09 Oct 2020, 10:30 

Hi Martin,

always good to hear that an LD player has been saved.

Enjoy the LaserDisc madness.

Look forward to any future posts.

Posted: 12 Oct 2020, 22:34 

That is a pretty cool bundle you have bagged teddanson.

The IMAGE POPS LD.... got one of them (Vol 3 Science Fiction) & it has no audio, you pop it into the player & stick some music on while watching it!?!

There were six issued, think you have the Sports one there.

Enjoy spinning your new discs & love LDs like that, the more eclectic the better.

Posted: 14 Oct 2020, 12:10 

I am so green with envy here (in a nice way!!).

That is one very tasty bundle there.

There are a few not listed here & a couple I have never seen before.

Enjoy good sir, If I had received them I would be in LD spinning heaven for quite a while.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Posted: 24 Oct 2020, 23:20 

The picture posted is Swing Out Sister - Breakout 080 122-2

A PDO PAL disc.

Posted: 25 Oct 2020, 13:22 

Also for reference, it seems that most PAL CDV are rotted.

It has been over 10 years ago or so now that I bought a collection that had around 15-ish CDVs, all were PDO discs & all had problems - most with video & audio issues including a few that would not play at all. They were passed on fairly promptly.

It was not a player issue as they were checked on a 515,a 2950 & a 925.

Sadly the PDO CDVs are problematic & it is a pity as there were some interesting ones released.

Does anyone here have any of the PDO Blackburn pressed CDVs that still play well?
Page 6 of 9 [ Search found 206 matches ]