It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 4 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 03 Aug 2020, 01:16 

Great thread!

The early discs are numbered as well but by job number not by date. Discovision/Pioneer used a 95-xxx number for titles, continuing into 96 and 97. Digital Sound titles used a 50 prefix and then 51. The earliest 95 I have found is 95-003 "Liza Mannelli In Concert" PA-81-002. From what I can tell, Pinoeer USA would number the titles and then send to Japan for pressing. Early Japan discs would only put the catalog number for the title on the inner circle of the disc and USA pressings would put the 95 number on the outer ring. I have a list that goes up to the 96 numbers but there are a lot of gaps since titles only made in Japan for US do not have the 95 job number. I am certain quite a few titles were given a number but never released since many of the early publisher catalogs listed titles that never made it to market.

Posted: 31 Mar 2022, 01:29 

The dates for Discovision are pretty hard to nail down. Remember, this was at the very beginning of home video so there isn't any information available to the public regarding when these things were coming out. Several Discovision titles were released in Dec. of 1978 in the Atlanta, Georgia area only. The Seattle, Washington area was next in early 1979. Although there isn't a list of titles that were released for either of these areas, you can "sort of" place when the discs were prepared due to the packaging. The earliest Discovision titles did not have a copyright of 1978 on the lower right hand side of the box. This was a misprint and stickers were applied to correct the mistake, so if you find a title with a sticker on it or if the title does not say 1979 in the copyright (due to the sticker falling off over the last 44 years), chances are that the title was prepared for the release in Dec 1978. The next "run" had the date printed on the box. Next, they got rid of the boxes and switched to the "side-opening" covers that would become the standard for laserdiscs. All of this happened over the course of 1 year. Of the hundred or so copies I have seen, they all have had the 1978 copyright printed, so 1979 is a very safe bet for the release date. Hope that helps.

Posted: 31 Mar 2022, 01:47 

The black boxes were indeed test discs. Most are single sided before bonding and a few were never released. I have a couple Julia Childs titles as test discs that were never commercially released. Some even have different versions of a movie, like the television cut of High Planes Drifter. If you ever wanted to sell them....

Posted: 31 Mar 2022, 01:50 

daffodil31le wrote:
The discs on your pictures are not in their original inner sleeves, they were originally in white felt sleeves.

Actually, they didn't start using the felt inner sleeves until later. The sleeves shown in the pictures are the correct ones.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 4 matches ]