It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 24 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 29 Dec 2012, 18:18 

Haven't watched them yet, but these were found underneath the Christmas tree, so they are probably coming up on the playlist very soon! :)

Posted: 02 Aug 2017, 16:13 

If you need the disk fast just google it and see if any online stores are selling.

5 seconds on google turned up this:

https://www.donberg.ie/catalogue/ggv1069.html
http://www.electronic-spare-parts.com/catalogue/ggv1069.html
http://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?part_no=GGV1069&mfg=Pioneer
https://north.pl/karta/ggv1069-ld-test-disc-pioneer,732-YV-2839.html

Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
Posted: 16 Oct 2017, 01:32 

Saw it yesterday. I was very happy how well it turned out. I'm a huge blade runner fan and was scared that they wouldn't capture the "soul" of the original. I think they really did an excellent job overall. The pacing was slow but so was the original. It never got to be boring and I always felt that things were happening. It just shows that you can have an entertaining sci-fi movie without shaky cam.

I think casting Gosling was a great choice. Without him, I don't think the movie would have been as good.

I also thought they did a good job with the music. Original but still meshing well with what Vangelis did in 82.

Can't wait for the blu-ray to be released so I can do a couple of viewings for more easter eggs and study.

If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend it.

Posted: 05 Nov 2017, 02:43 

Sounds like you've "heard" a lot of stuff that may not be true. It has not done great at the box office, but reviews are actually very good. Both by critics and viewers: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/blade-runner-2049

My personal opinion of why it is not doing well is because it's not mainstream Michael Bay, huge explosions, shaky cam,... sci-fi. It's for a more mature audience. The original Blade Runner did not do well at the theatres at its release and now it is considered one of the cinematic masterpieces of the last 50 years.

Again, I recommend you see it yourself and form your own opinion.

Posted: 21 Nov 2017, 01:00 

forper wrote:
I haven't even seen it and I already agree with you Confederate. I will avoid Blade Runner 2049 at all costs and never watch.

I would rethink this. It truly is one of the most unique and beautiful films in the last few years.

Posted: 28 Jan 2018, 02:31 

Just listened to the latest one on Laserdisc based games. Another great episode. He really puts in the effort and it shows. A very high-quality product. I really hope it keeps going.

Post subject: Re: Home theater advice?
Posted: 21 Jun 2018, 01:36 

A soundbar is certainly going to be a good upgrade from the speakers in the TV. If you have two regular speakers (you mentioned using rear's with the soundbar), you may want to ditch the soundbar and go with a standard 2.0 setup. All things being equal, a 2.0 setup is better than a soundbar.

Posted: 31 Jul 2018, 21:05 

I really like some of the classic sci-fi stuff. Forbidden Planet was really good in my opinion. I own two versions on LD. Cool Stuff.

Forbidden Planet (1956) [ML102321]
Forbidden Planet (1956) [ML100041]

Post subject: Re: Headphones
Posted: 04 Apr 2019, 00:37 

Don't listen with headphones at home but I do at work.

I use a Grado sr80e. Cheap, durable, and good sound.

https://gradolabs.com/headphones/prestige-series/item/1-sr80e

Posted: 25 May 2019, 19:19 

A little late to the party,... but as an audiophile I figure I would chime in. As others mentioned, nothing really bad happens with using higher power amps with speakers rated at lower max watt ratings. You can blow a speaker (any speaker) with enough power. However, this would only happen if you were playing beyond the maximum volume. So unless you are absolutely blasting the speaker at crazy high volume (at which you would get massive distortion anyway), you can use any power amp with any "power rated" speaker.

Post subject: Re: Headphones
Posted: 17 Sep 2019, 21:37 

I'm sure they will sound great once broken in. Considering the price difference, they should outperform the AudioQuests by a fair margin. Very nice.

Have you looked at Schiit Audio's headphone lineup? They specialize in high quality but reasonably priced hardware. I use one of their headphone DAC/amp combo's at work but I'm more of a speaker guy and not so much headphone oriented. Nothing on the level of the McIntosh cans, just some lower tier Grado's.

Posted: 11 Dec 2019, 23:24 

Most recent watch list:

Skyfall - One of the best Bond movies in my opinion.

Love, Simon - coming of age movie about a gay teen.

Animal Kingdom - pretty forgettable crime drama.

Spectre - Another really great addition to the James Bond franchise.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Perhaps the best Marvel movie release yet.

Live and Let Die *DEFECTIVE* (1973) [ML101418] - pretty cheezy 007.

The Broken - interesting horror/thriller movie.

Man with the Golden Gun, The (1974) [ML101419] - we see Roger Moore improve the bond series with this one.

A Quiet Place - I thought this was an interesting take on the alien/horror genre.

Spy Who Loved Me, The (1977) [ML101743] - corny but entertaining James Bond.

A Single Man - was not a huge fan of this film. Kind of slow and boring.

Moonraker (1979) [ML101710] - Completely outragous but entertaining "James Bond goes to space."

Nine - very disappointed in the movie full of big-name talent. Ultimately, it was just boring.

Solo: A Star Wars Story - I thought that this was one of the better additions to the Star Wars universe of late.

Wonder Woman - Fun superhero action movie.

Ocean's 8 - just watch Ocean's 11, trust me.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - another big-budget action movie. It was entertaining and recommended if you are a Jurassic Park fan.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again - I thought the first one was better, but still entertaining with some good songs.

Ant-Man and the Wasp - Another Marvel superhero flick. Entertaining and I like Paul Rudd.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) [70226] - a funny movie with Gene Wilder and Richard Prior.

Skyscraper - a cheezy action movie with the Rock.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - an interesting movie that has a unique "quirkiness" about it.

For Your Eyes Only (1981) [ML101725] - James Moore as James bond returns again.

Angels and Demons - this has been my favorite of the series. I highly recommend it.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout - good Tom Cruise movie.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2 - the gang returns again. Good movie with another outstanding soundtrack.

Murder on the Orient Express - Lots of big-name actors but for some reason it felt "flat." Still worth a watch if you are a fan of the classic book.

Dragonheart (1996) [42973] - super cheezy movie with one of the best soundtracks ever written.

Venom - another "superhero" movie but it didn't impress too much.

Borg vs McEnroe - heavily "altered" retelling of sports history. It was ok.

Crazy Rich Asians - I know lots of people liked this but it really didn't do it for me.

The Meg - Bad "B" movie with a big budget.

Mandy - Really really weird movie.

The Predator - Totally milked franchise at this point. Just watch the original with Arnold.

Tully - an interesting movie with a twist at the end.

The House with a Clock in its Walls - too over-the-top for me. Maybe better for kids.

Johnny English Strikes Again - funny spy spoof. I think this is the 3rd one in the series.

Footloose (1984) [LV 1589] - the classic with Kevin Bacon.

Bohemian Rhapsody - I really like Queen's music so I'm not sure what I enjoyed more, the story or the music.

First Man - a definite watch if you are a space buff.

Creed II - another rocky movie. I've lost count at this point but I liked the ones from the 70's/80's more.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - a must-watch for fans of the Harry Potter universe.

A Star Is Born - I thought that this was "ok" at best. Not sure what all the buzz was about.

Aquaman - pretty good superhero movie. Lots of visual effects but I thought they did a good job with all the underwater scenery.

The Mule - good movie with a very aging Clint Eastwood.

Green Book - great movie. Highly recommend.

Glass - the finisher to the trilogy. I'm happy to see the director making some good movies again.

Holmes & Watson - My god, one of the worst movies ever. And that's coming from somebody who thought Step Brothers was good.

Bumblebee - Considering how bad the series has been, this was actually much better than expected. Probably the best "transformers movie" thus far.

Destination Wedding -

Mortal Engines -

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part -

Replicas -

Colette -

Supercop: Special Edition #327 (1992) [CC1479L] -

The Equalizer 2 -

Her Alibi (1989) [11835] -

Hot Shots! (1991) [1930-80] -

A Simple Favor - An interesting psychological thriller.

The Spy Who Dumped Me - Just terrible. Painful to watch.

They Shall Not Grow Old - Any fan of history should see this documentary by Peter Jackson. The restored footage is amazing.

Captain Marvel - Another "so so" addition to the Marvel universe.

Shazam - Kind of ok, "made for kids" superhero movie.

Fighting with My Family - Fairly entertaining wrestling movie.

Hotel Mumbai - Very entertaining movie based on real-life terrorist attacks in India.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote - I can't believe this movie took 20+ year to make. It was kind of a let down in all honesty and I like the director's previous movies.

Tolkien - Interesting biopic of Tolkien's early life which shaped many of the themes in his later books.

Side by Side - Keanu Reeves narrated a documentary about digital vs celluloid film making. Interesting watch if you like the technical side of movie-making.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Fun movie for the (big) kids.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Continuation of the saga.

The Princess Bride - One of my all-time favorite childhood movies. Highly recommended.

Maleficent - a Nice reimagining of the Disney classic.

Hellboy - Pretty terrible reboot of the series.

Bladerunner 2049 - One of the best movies of the last decade. The visual and sound design of this movie is simply amazing.

Men in Black: International - Pretty bad. The original with Will Smith was much better.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum - Entertaining but more of the same,... shooting, killing, shooting...

Alita: Battle Angel - Heavy CGI based film. It was so so but I wonder if they will continue the story?

Brightburn - An interesting "anti-superman" story.

Spider-Man: Far from Home - I thought it was actually ok. More of the same big superhero franchise but entertaining nonetheless.

Rocketman - Slightly disappointed with this one. An Elton John biopic.

Searching - Good psychological thriller. Really kept me on the edge of my seat. I would recommend a watch.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - Somewhat disappointing superhero movie.

Avengers: Endgame - The "big finale",... kind of. If you been watching the series, it's kind of a must-see.

Yesterday - Good Danny Boyle film about an alternative universe where the Beatles never existed.

Die Hard (1988) [8905-85] - Classic Christmas movie. Highly recommended.

Love Actually - Another Holiday must watch. Great cast. If you have never seen this movie I highly recommend it.

Post subject: Re: About the seller DaDon
Posted: 11 Sep 2020, 21:14 

I run a website and can do up to 3 years of payment at a single time (even without autorenewel set to on). So I could buy a 3 year hosting plan today, die tomorrow, and my site would be up for another 3 years.

Posted: 26 Sep 2020, 18:41 

I hope all those replacement parts are not just thrown out. I'm in the US but if they were here I would ask if I could take the inventory and that way there would be a supply that I could send out to those who need replacements.

Posted: 03 Oct 2020, 20:36 

It's very good that you are willing to do this Julien. I don't feel that I'd ever personally need one of these but of course that's not what this is about therefore I would suggest if other members were prepared to do the same I'd happily chuck in a $/€/£ or so towards a purchase, what do others think?

Ultimately... someone contacted me some time ago to work on a phone app that connects to an Infra Red module and could be able to emulate any remote control for which we have a signal list.

This way we'd just have to learn controls once and have them available to others forever.
Never a lost remote control because we wouldn't need them.

So... would piling up 48 basic remote controls make sense?

Julien

I think there will always be a market as many people rather have an actual remote control vs an emulator. Also, as time goes on remotes will be lost/broken and people will want replacements. You can certainly ask for a reasonable markup and would recover any upfront costs.

Posted: 13 Dec 2020, 01:25 

I try to donate a little every year to LDDB to show my support of the community and Julien. However, it seems like paypal has been getting bothersome with its fees. I think last year it wanted to take close to a 30% cut of the donated amount. This year I wanted to give $10 and it either wants a $1 (10%) fee if sending it as a friend or no fee if billed as a purchase. However, I don't know what percentage will be taken on the LDDB side if it is done this way? I'm in the US. I also don't have bitcoin and the most popular online payment method in the US is paypal.

So my questions is, what truly is the best way for people from the US to donate (presuming that is the country where the highest number of users preside? Thanks.

Also, if there is a clear answer, perhaps the donate page could be updated with the ideal paypal payment instructions (it is rather out of date and the screenshots no longer match the current paypal interface)?

And thank you for all your time and effort, Julien!

Posted: 15 Dec 2020, 18:12 

I don't think the fee structure is the same for goods vs friends money transfers. What complicates matters in this case is the foreign transaction. If it was domestic (within the US), there would be zero fees with a family/friends transfer.

Posted: 15 Dec 2020, 18:15 

No charge for paypal (presuming it's transferred from bank account and not a credit card) to family and friends within the US. I do this twice a month with family members for shared bills.

Posted: 17 Apr 2021, 16:14 

The demodulator is tiny so you can put it in many places. If memory serves, I placed it adjacent to a circuit board. As long as it is insulated so no contacts touch, it's fine pretty much anywhere. You can secure it with a zip tie or a screw somewhere but it's really not necessary.

Posted: 02 Oct 2021, 21:02 

I uploaded the pdf files of the two articles I wrote.

One is for laser disc storage, the other is a review of the Army of Darkness laserdisc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1llTo582VaF0_s2u_uIzLXjpLMp7RGWq0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18L-q-93fregtaoR68cQCg2Ilxblx1vg1/view?usp=sharing

Posted: 05 Oct 2021, 15:26 

Wow, this is pretty big news. I guess the mystery is solved... kind of.

I'm wondering if this previous post should be a sticky as it could potentially have significant influence on a lot of users who had given up on their units?

Posted: 08 Mar 2022, 17:08 

I was able to get transferwise setup and donated to LDDB. The fees were significantly less than paypal so maybe that should be on the donations page with instructions?

Post subject: Scored a 630 laserdisc lot
Posted: 08 Oct 2022, 21:43 

Scored a 630 movie lot this past week! Loaded up the car and I thought the suspension was going to give out but I made it home. Luckily it was in the next town over. The previous owners were lovely people. I was lucky that the entire movie list was already entered into LDDB so I was able to update my collection in just a few minutes using the bulk matching input. Now I just have to organize them into my current collection. I probably will need an extra shelf.

Unfortunately, I can't post the list here as apparently xls and csv files are not attachable.

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 24 matches ]