It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 3 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 23 Oct 2016, 15:02 

Let's not forget that these discs are 30+ years old, and many of them possibly suffered abuse/mistreatment of some kind during the years.

Posted: 23 Mar 2018, 10:28 

For me, it has always been about collecting films (often very rare ones), not formats.

Nowadays I have films on the following formats:
DVD (ca. 3300)
VHS (ca. 720)
Video CD (ca. 550)
Blu-Ray (ca. 530)
Laserdisc (ca. 250)
Betamax (ca. 20)
Super-8 (ca. 20)
HD-DVD (16)
VHD Videodisc (ca. 15)

On EVERY of these formats, I own at least one film (in most cases, significantly more than one!) which can't be substituted in EQUAL (or better) quality on ANY of the other
formats.
That being said, there are always plenty of other reasons for a film collector to buy a film on an older format (open matte; minor differences of the print used, e.g. reel changes, print damage, different colour grading, whatever; great cover; sense of nostalgia; interest in older/other technologies; great players; etc.).

The fact that my home cinema set-up supports so many formats these days also gives me the opportunity to seek out each format's hidden treasures. Take the best of all worlds.
Of course it would be nice to have a Criterion blu-ray or even UHD blu-ray quality release of each and every film in my collection, but since this is without the shadow a doubt never ever going to happen, I don't need to ask myself why I'd still be in need of older technologies.

Posted: 02 Apr 2018, 02:27 

Enemy Mine (1985) German PAL laserdisc contains the German theatrical version which runs longer than the US version released worldwide on DVD.

Solar Crisis (1990) Japanese edition is a different, longer version than the international/US release (also has a different, longer ending). (In-)famous for being an "Alan Smithee" film, the Japanese version is actually signed by the real director (Richard C. Sarafian).
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 3 matches ]