It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 7 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 23 May 2018, 15:09 

I have a few thoughts on this:

First and foremost I hope this isn’t any kind of complaint because you are the biggest power broker of (what you say are) expensive rare discs I know of. (I don’t get around much.) I’m trying to figure out how you’re not complaining about yourself. And don’t even think about denying it because you have TONS of posts, some of the best here to be honest, that detail every irrelevant variation of disc for acts NOBODY BUYS in the general record market anymore that you say trade hands for values that seem bonkers to me. The question you’re asking us...it’s the same one I have for you.

In addition to that, I don’t have much to add. The high roller LD world is your domain. When I got into it (1992) people just paid retail or less unless the title was especially rare and in demand, like Five Star Stories used to be. For the most part the whole “rich-ass big time collector guy” thing didn’t happen until the noobs jumped in, which was right around 2006 I’d speculate. I don’t collect what they collect so I have no clue what motivates them or why they are so obsessed with making sure LD is expensive forever. They are opportunist speculator noobs and there isn’t much lower in the mind of more long term stable fans in a scene. They ruined comic books in the 90s, moved into Beenie Babies and now seem to deal mostly in old video games.

Ask the people you buy and sell from, that would be the best bet for an answer. I’d wager you won’t get anywhere with that though. What you seem to indicate is problem isn’t even something these people will understand as a concept. This kind of weird behavior is really only observable by people who don’t display it. The affected think it’s perfectly sane to raise the price on everything every time you sell one because that’s the way it’s always been, even way way WAY back in 2006 (years after the format was dead btw).

Keep in mind that your very very impressive collection of music titles is completely worthless to the majority of planet earth because most major label music acts of the 80s and 90s are gone. Even the genres are unrecognizable. There is ZERO hair metal on American radio now and all the indie rock and underground dance and hip hop that shaped the current scene is almost totally unrepresented on LD since LD was mainly just for rich acts on huge labels. If you’re buying and selling $300 discs all day then you’re as embedded as it gets. Start doing interviews and find out if that weirdo who just dropped $700 on a Whitney Houston greatest hits discs with a weird barcode is maybe an alien in disguise or something.

Posted: 16 Apr 2019, 14:41 

Different story in Japan, however they would almost certainly be optically censored.

Good example!

Was wondering why this didn't show up on the IMDB automated list and... that's because of a bug.

I claimed that only the "first 100" were trimmed but that meant the "first 100 parsed on the IMDb page", not the "first 100 in chronological order".

To fix that I'm now offering both options if the count goes above 100: first 100 or last 100 by chronological order .

Now the SILD-87076 titles is showing up.

Cache memory is still of 7 days.

Julien

Posted: 16 Apr 2019, 15:25 

Talk Dirty to Me 3 also with Traci
https://files.injapan.ru/proxy/picture?url=http%3A%2F%2Fauctions.c.yimg.jp%2Fimg383.auctions.yahoo.co.jp%2Fusers%2F7%2F9%2F7%2F9%2Fkaidashiya_co_ltd-img600x450-1417547702dewdyp10481.jpg&signature=0157fa7edb556ee0647f75de1f3b6b41bdcba8e5

Posted: 16 Apr 2019, 17:47 

Curious to know where the title 'Big Breasts' was referenced from for SILD-88073, since the sleeve picture is obviously Perfect Fit . Was it translated from an obi or is there an alternative Japanese title on the back cover?

I took it from an online listing before someone added the cover, didn't realize the name was completely wrong.

Just updated!

Julien

Posted: 01 Jan 2022, 20:57 

I know this is an old thread but I found it when trying to find a solution for the very same problem. My HLD-X9 has had a small piece missing in the same section for some time, but a few days ago another piece broke loose and loading/unloading didn't work anymore. I fixed it by printing a small plastic part to replace the end of the rail. Works fine so far. The tray is made from ABS so I printed using ABS too, so no glue required: dissolving the two surfaces with acetone makes a great bond.
broken.jpg
removed.jpg
replacement in place.jpg
sanded.jpg

Posted: 18 Dec 2023, 19:17 

Hey everyone, it's been a while... Just wanted to give you an update on this whole playback issue thing. I didn't really use the player for a while but decided to watch the Tron Disney Archive set yesterday. The player did work ok but gave me a couple of picture / sound dropouts during the first one or two minutes on each side. It's a CAV set so I thought it would play just as good as it did last time I used the player but... well, it didn't. Needless to say is was not happy as it kinda ruined the "feeling" for me while watching the movie.

I truly enjoy using the S9 as the picture quality is pretty good and the sound is awesome, too. I felt it would be a shame to just let it "die" so I sat down and spend quite some time reading posts and searching for similar topics. Found an older post in this forum from a user having somewhat similar problems with his S9 regarding playback and all. In there someone suggested to try turning the RF level pot in order to boost the signal due to the laser pickup getting weak due to ageing. I did some more searching regarding RF level adjustment and it seemed kinda "safe" to me.

Opened up the lid of the unit, looked inside to locate the RF level pot and grabbed some discs for testing. Tried a CLV at first but it completely crapped out right from the start. I marked the position of the pot with a pen and turned it a little to see what would happen. At first it got even worse, I got both a P0 and a P5 error - the disc would either spin like hell or just stop after a few seconds. Turned it the other way (always in little increments) and it got a lot better after two turns. I started using the Tron CAV disc first for a basic test. Spin up, check, stop, open the drawer, turn the pot a little, close and play again. I did that for about 15 minutes until it played flawlessly (to my surprise). Took it out, used a X-Files CLV disc for testing and tried again. Still little droputs at the start, but one more turn did fix that as well. Did some more test runs inkl. skipping from chapter to chapter, getting back to start, let it spin up and down etc. The player appears to be working flawlessly for now, playing both CAV and CLV discs. Not sure how long it'll last but I hope it will stay that way a bit longer. All in all I turned the pot about 10 to 15° to the right (when you stand in front of the player with the diplay / drawer facing towards you) judging from the mark I made. I also checked the lens for scratches but the pickup looks perfect. Interior still looks good as new, too. Like mentioned before I had already exchanged the grip ring and checked lubrication to see if there was and sticky gunk or residue building up, but everything looked good.

Anyone got similar experiences with this kind of "tweak"? How safe is it to turn up the RF level without using measuring equipment? Suppose it won't burn a hole right through the disc, will it? ;) From what the previous owner told me the unit was manufactured in early 2001 so it's got approx. 22 years on its shoulders. So it's not really surprising to see the laser pickup fail over such a long period of time...

edit: grammar / typing mistakes

Posted: 19 Dec 2023, 02:29 

You did not turn up the strength of the laser, you turned up the return RF signal level the electronics use to process the signal. The level returned from the disc depends and the reflective quality at that point on the disc and the focus of the laser. The only think that could happen is the signal being processed is amplified too much causing errors.

So either the RF was not properly adjusted or your laser is aging.

Just use it and enjoy.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 7 matches ]