It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 3 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 07 Sep 2022, 20:39 

Hey Rein-O,

opened the player to take a closer look, the laser is super clean. No dirt, no nothing. But when I tried playing another disc later on a "P0" error appeared on the display - the disc failed to speed up all the way like it should. So yeah, I suppose you're right about the grip ring. I had to clean it twice already because discs tended to slip so it probably dried out due to aging. After all it's just rubber - doesn't last forever. Guess I need to get one of those new grip rings I saw on eBay and replace the old one, hoping that it'll solve my problem (I most certainly hope so because I love watching LDs using this very unit!).

Posted: 08 Sep 2022, 07:26 

Just ordered a new grip ring from Fireproof! Hope it'll arrive within the next couple of days so I can replace the old one and give it another try.

Regarding dirty lasers I did have a similar problem with my CLD-2950 a while ago. Refused to play any discs so I opened it up to take a closer look. The lens was really dirty and it took me a while to get it clean again...

Posted: 18 Dec 2023, 19:17 

Hey everyone, it's been a while... Just wanted to give you an update on this whole playback issue thing. I didn't really use the player for a while but decided to watch the Tron Disney Archive set yesterday. The player did work ok but gave me a couple of picture / sound dropouts during the first one or two minutes on each side. It's a CAV set so I thought it would play just as good as it did last time I used the player but... well, it didn't. Needless to say is was not happy as it kinda ruined the "feeling" for me while watching the movie.

I truly enjoy using the S9 as the picture quality is pretty good and the sound is awesome, too. I felt it would be a shame to just let it "die" so I sat down and spend quite some time reading posts and searching for similar topics. Found an older post in this forum from a user having somewhat similar problems with his S9 regarding playback and all. In there someone suggested to try turning the RF level pot in order to boost the signal due to the laser pickup getting weak due to ageing. I did some more searching regarding RF level adjustment and it seemed kinda "safe" to me.

Opened up the lid of the unit, looked inside to locate the RF level pot and grabbed some discs for testing. Tried a CLV at first but it completely crapped out right from the start. I marked the position of the pot with a pen and turned it a little to see what would happen. At first it got even worse, I got both a P0 and a P5 error - the disc would either spin like hell or just stop after a few seconds. Turned it the other way (always in little increments) and it got a lot better after two turns. I started using the Tron CAV disc first for a basic test. Spin up, check, stop, open the drawer, turn the pot a little, close and play again. I did that for about 15 minutes until it played flawlessly (to my surprise). Took it out, used a X-Files CLV disc for testing and tried again. Still little droputs at the start, but one more turn did fix that as well. Did some more test runs inkl. skipping from chapter to chapter, getting back to start, let it spin up and down etc. The player appears to be working flawlessly for now, playing both CAV and CLV discs. Not sure how long it'll last but I hope it will stay that way a bit longer. All in all I turned the pot about 10 to 15° to the right (when you stand in front of the player with the diplay / drawer facing towards you) judging from the mark I made. I also checked the lens for scratches but the pickup looks perfect. Interior still looks good as new, too. Like mentioned before I had already exchanged the grip ring and checked lubrication to see if there was and sticky gunk or residue building up, but everything looked good.

Anyone got similar experiences with this kind of "tweak"? How safe is it to turn up the RF level without using measuring equipment? Suppose it won't burn a hole right through the disc, will it? ;) From what the previous owner told me the unit was manufactured in early 2001 so it's got approx. 22 years on its shoulders. So it's not really surprising to see the laser pickup fail over such a long period of time...

edit: grammar / typing mistakes
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 3 matches ]