It is currently 20 Sep 2019, 14:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 6 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 13 Sep 2017, 09:19 

Hi everyone,

I understand that the forum has been slowing down because, well, we already talked and discussed 99% of what could be said/explained on LD and LD Players over the years.

I can see that visitors are reading/searching the forum but less contributions these days, except maybe in the "technical questions" for Players starting to age and slowly breaking down.

There are, however, a LOT of good posts and great information laying deep in the old topics that would benefit from more exposure/indexing.
After considering several options, I decided to give "Thanks for Posts" a try: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/thanks_for_posts
thanks.png
For now you can add a "thank you note" on a post linked to an active account (not yours obviously, this is not Facebook!) and when enough thanks are received, I'll be able to pull out a list of popular topics and posters (in quality, not in quantity or most recent posts).

If you bookmarked or liked an old post, don't hesitate to go like it to give him a chance to shine again for newcomers!

And if you want to enable notifications (PM or Email) when someone thanked you, you will have to update your User Profile here:

http://forum.lddb.com/ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=personal

UCP.png

Julien

Posted: 13 Sep 2017, 14:40 

I have always wanted to able to thank people on this forum for their particular posts without having to write it.

Glad you like it!

I hope it will not be understood as something similar to a Facebook "Like", but as a tool to highlight significantly insightful/well argued/documented posts that are worth reading even years later. Some of Disclord's posts on the technicality of video/audio formats were really great!

Julien

Posted: 06 Apr 2018, 03:10 

Publius,

Tried PMing you, regarding the return of the Muse Decoder. Please contact me.

Posted: 10 Apr 2018, 02:10 

=> Sent him a PM as well

He was on LDDb yesterday, he can't be far.

Julien

Posted: 23 Jul 2019, 19:29 

There is something I simply do not understand. If the original mono audio track is missing, what are these new 5.1 and even 7.1 ! upmixes based on ?

The Hong Kong companies no longer have the original mono tracks in alot of cases.

They probably have access to original audio stems but that would require them to mix a new mono track which was done with Police Story but unfortunately it was mixed very poorly and had to be replaced on the Eureka release.

Even if they do have original audio it's usually bad quality compared to the old laserdiscs.

Sometimes we get lucky and they have a nice original track but it's really the luck of the draw.

In HK people really don't care about original mono audio and like the horrible 5.1 audio tracks that are featured on the blurays.

Ever notice how every single HK bluray only features a 5.1 mix with new sound effects & almost NEVER has original mono?

Post subject: Re: Koyaanisqatsi
Posted: 23 Jul 2019, 20:01 

I have both pressings, and actually the first (Pacific Arts) pressing has a digital soundtrack as well. I think you're referring to the fact that the second (Image) pressing has Dolby Surround, which provides some nice ambience.

That said, the mastering of the music in the Pacific Arts pressing is excellent, and I would argue that this alone makes it worth considering. I've made digital rips of the soundtracks of both of these LDs, and I have a solid preference for the Pacific Arts version. (In fact, out of all of the versions of this score that I own (3 CDs, 2 LDs, 2 DVDs, and BD), the Pacific Arts LD is my favorite, partially out of quality, partially out of completeness.) This is subjective, and it's probably not something you would notice if you are actively watching the movie, but there you go, food for thought.

So:

-- If you're going to be watching this as a movie, then I recommend the Image pressing, as it has better PQ and the Dolby Surround.
-- If your interest is primarily in the sound quality of the score, and you will be listening to it on a good sound system, then I recommend picking up both copies and giving them an A/B test.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 6 matches ]