It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 14:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 24 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 31 Mar 2016, 14:49 

Variable Geo is pretty smooth and well-drawn, especially in the fight sequences. Just that most people are uncomfortable watching it because of all the fan service :lol: :oops:

Then there's Giant Robo . This is one of my favorite anime of all time. Very nicely animated, great story and engaging characters.

Posted: 05 Oct 2017, 00:49 

Has anyone dealt with this ebay seller?

I have bought some LDs from him in the past without too much issue, but I have had two interactions with him regarding LD players that left a bad taste in my mouth.

First was when I was trying to sell a Runco LJR-I on ebay last year. I put it up on the Bay of E with a $300 starting bid, but I got no bids.

After the auction ended, I get a message from him asking if I would sell the player for less than the starting bid. I reply, you can make me an offer and I will consider it.

His response: "It's worth about $100 to me."

I feel a little insulted that he's offering 1/3 of what my starting bid was, but I merely reply: "Sorry, I've sold lesser players for more than that so I have to decline."

He responds: "Well you have to admit that this is not the model that most people want. Most want the LJR-II with the Dolby Digital out."

I respond: "Indeed and if I was selling one, I would sell it for more, but this player is still worth more than just $100."

That appears to be the end of it for a while.

Fast forward to now, I list a Runco LJR-II on Ebay starting bid of $250 and a buy-it-now option of $500. Not even half a day into the auction, this same guy uses the buy-it-now option and send me the money.

I'm like, okay, not sure if he remembers our previous interaction over a Runco LD player, but unit is paid for and I just have to ship it. I test it one more time to make sure it work before shipping. I pack it INSANELY well--4 layers of bubble wrap, at least 3 inches of packing popcorn all around it in a thich, tri-wall box. And ship it off to him.

A week later, he complains that I didn't include the power cord. Truthfully, I didn't think much to put the power cord in the box and it kind of slipped my mind as it uses a standard 3 prong computer power cord, but also I never said in the auction that it would include a power cord (nor was there a power cord in the pictures of the auction.) None the less, I say sorry about that I can overnight you a power cord if he likes.

He says no, not a problem as he used a cord he already has, but now is saying that the player will not eject the tray fully and sends me pictures of the tray of the LJR-II only sticking out 1/4 of the way.

I say "that's pretty odd, but it might be an easy fix. Can you take the bonnet off of the player and send me a video of the tray trying to eject so I can what the problem might be?"

He responds: "I don't have the means to shoot a video or upload it to the internet."

Now I'm getting even more skeptical, he doesn't have a phone that can shoot video?

I then say: "Can you take the bonnet off and take some pictures of the tray trying to eject and send them to me so I can see what's obstructing the tray?"

He reponds: "I'm afraid I might make the problem worse if I try to open it up. I did contact a shop 2 hours from me who said they could fix it, but it would cost $200-250."

I'm super skeptical now. Doesn't want to try to fix it for free, but knows some shop who's willing to work on a super rare LD player that has been at end of life for a long time now? And already has a ballpark figure for the price of the fix? Come on now. I'm thinking he's just trying to extort money from me so he can get the player for cheaps like he wanted with the LJR-I.

Before I could respond again, he messages me: "I contacted Ebay and they say the options are you give me a full refund and ship you back the player, you send me a shipping label and send you back the player then you give me a refund or you can give me a partial refund to pay for repairs of the non-working item."

I'll continue this later . . .

Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 19:34 

5 days after he received the new shipping label he finally replies to me last night (after 3 attempts to contact him about receiving the label) he says: "I will try to drop it off with FedEx tomorrow."

Let's see what happens!

Post subject: Re: CX encoding
Posted: 03 Nov 2017, 18:04 

Techmoan recently posted a video on CX Encoding as pertaining to LP technology:

CX Discs : Better, Worse & the Same as a normal record - A Forgotten Format
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5XCvsNUkmI

He does mention at the end that the technology was incorporated into both CED and LD, but focuses mainly on LPs for the video.

Posted: 12 Nov 2017, 18:30 

Short answer for "best bang for your buck" LD player with those specs is the Pioneer CLD-D704.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one on the Bay of E right now.

Next lower tier LD player I would recommend is the Pioneer CLD-D604/5/6. It has basically the same capabilities as the 704, but a noisier picture.

I wouldn't go with the D502 as you get about the same noisy picture as the D60x, but lose digital frame memory (capability to freeze frame/scan CLV discs) AC-3 out and any type of digital audio out.

Posted: 15 Feb 2018, 17:21 

Spirit of Wonder

It's a pretty cool anime that mixes slice of life stuff with some sci-fi. I have the US release from AnimEigo. I imagine it's the same dub.

Too there's only one episode. The manga is pretty fun and has some better stories than the one they animated.

Posted: 15 Feb 2018, 19:44 

I got the card mentioned here in this thread --the ATi 750 PCIe. Has a really good 3D comb filter, and excellent color reproduction.

It's not made anymore, but you can probably still find some new, old stock on Ebay.

I used to use the Pinnacle capture products, but the first one I got, Pinnacle Movie Board, didn't support 64-bit Operating Systems. Then I got one of the USB capture cards, but then I realized it wouldn't capture with decent color reproduction even if you used an off-board 3D comb filter like a DVD recorder.

I still use Pinnacle Studio as the software is pretty easy to use and has a lot of options for exporting your project, but the hardware is lacking for capturing.

Posted: 16 Feb 2018, 16:55 

I've read that you can use D-VHS to record S-VHS on an S-VHS VCR.

This page says as much with the recognition holes:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/learnabo ... udget.html

It's just that not too many people would want to since D-VHS blanks are much more expensive than S-VHS blanks!

Post subject: Re: The Future
Posted: 13 Mar 2018, 15:50 

From the gents who already have upgraded to 4K, they say that plugging their LD players into the displays via just composite have yielded very good results:

http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7375

I am thinking of jumping into 4K too, once I get my finances in order (moving again soon), and like you I want to get one of those play 'em all players with 8-channel output. One of the Sony or Oppo's on this site (because their 4K players are also region free for DVD and standard blu-ray):

http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players.html

I probably won't completely abandon LD, but I might start thinning the collection out of titles I have gotten on blu-ray and 4Kbr. So long as there aren't supplements or edits that make keeping the LD release worth holding onto.

I find myself doing that with even some DVD releases that have supplements that later releases don't have.

Posted: 20 Apr 2018, 15:50 

...you're browsing through cable channel menus and as you notice the movie titles you try to remember if they were released on Laserdisc

...you're running on a treadmill and as certain times come up on the clock, they make you think of Laserdisc player model numbers (ie: 406, 604, 704, 909, 919, 939, 959, 1010, etc.)

...you're talking movies with a friend or friends and when their favorite movie is mentioned you try to recall if you have it on Laserdisc (bonus points if you actually say you have it on Laserdisc)

...a friend of yours posts a music video that they like on social media and you comment that you have the video on Laserdisc

...you find a music/thrift shop that sells old records and you HAVE to check to see if they sell Laserdiscs

...you find a used electronics shop and you HAVE to check to see if they have Laserdisc players

Feel free to add more!

Posted: 20 May 2018, 05:54 

Here's the thread with that mod I was talking about if anyone is interested.

CLD-D606 and Video Essentials

Post subject: Re: Sony MBD-XBR950
Posted: 08 Aug 2018, 18:33 

Sorry I didn't fully read your post, seems strange shouldn't 1366x768 fill a 16x9 screen? Either way I'm excited to test this, I've always thought there was a cheap LD holy grail box out there and this sounds promising.

Quests for holy grails are always hard (still waiting for that shrubbery) and even when seeming possible, often don't exist in as easy form as we'd like. The MBD-XBR950 as per OP seems quite promising for anyone with a processor that needs a comb filter upgrade but otherwise the scaling issue for the horizontal squeeze becomes a killer.

A similar model with s-video out has promise to overcome that issue but then again from a bit of reading many modern TV's don't accommodate s-video? If that's not an issue though (multi-function component in?) something like this could potentially be the 'DVD recorder solution' killer.
It definitely would be the DVD Recorder killer. A lot of DVD Recorders had some very good comb filters, but none come close to these Sony WEGA filters. I considered trying to pick up some Sony DVD Recorders trying to see if any of them have the same comb filters as the WEGAs, but they're kind of hard to find.

Now I don't even have to if these media connector boxes by Sony can be made to work like a stand alone filter.

Posted: 21 Sep 2018, 16:20 

admin wrote:
I can see the User Manual and the Technical Background, but can't see a Service Manual there.
Usually it's reserved for licensed retailers/professionals.

They're harder to find.

Julien

Well, he's looking for the User Manual, soooo . . . :)

Posted: 31 Oct 2018, 04:40 

A lot of horror titles meet this criteria

Murder Rock (Dancing Death) (1984) [LILD0021]
Deadly Spawn, The (1983) [DLZ-0109]
Supernaturals, The (1986) [EHL-1095]
Two Thousand Maniacs! (2000 Maniacs) (1964) [NDH-006]
Season of the Witch: George A. Romero's (1972) [LVB-1016]

as well as other genres

Get Crazy (1983) [EHL-1024]

None of those English language movies have a US release.

Posted: 29 Nov 2018, 22:16 

Panasonic TH-50PX77U 50" Plasma

1080p capable display, but the actual resolution is 1366x768

Beautiful picture? Absolutely. Looks great for LDs and blu-ray

Here's a pic of the THX LD of The Jungle Book and the Synapse blu-ray restoration of Suspiria on it...

Posted: 30 Nov 2018, 02:15 

Runco LJR II

nice
Model not being sold in Japan
THX acquisition
Well, you can get the Denon LA-3500G in Japan. That would be the closest you get could get to the Runco LJR II.

They're both based on the Panasonic LX-900 and both have a stock AC-3 RF output.

https://image.rakuten.co.jp/yasukukaeru/cabinet/autoseller-33f/33f1127757052dc63a16.jpg

Posted: 01 Dec 2018, 06:07 

I
PC monitors
For WEB browsing + LD viewing
I am trying

BENQ GW 2750 (full HD)

PC monitors
Compared to ordinary plasma, liquid crystal TV
Is the performance different?

Is the difference overwhelmingly inferior to PC monitors?
I used to have a Pro CRT computer monitor as my home theater display--a Mitsubishi Megaview Pro 37.

The problem with using a computer monitor for movie and TV watching is that they're usually WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get.) Meaning, you have to feed a computer monitor a good video signal as there's not much that the monitor does to the signal. If you're using any type of legacy equipment with them (like Laserdisc), you need a good processor and/or scaler between the source and the monitor in order to get a good picture.

I eventually gave the Pro monitor to my brother and opted to get a Sony WEGA.

Now that's not to say that computer monitors aren't good displays. They obviously are since they are made to handle a high quality image that computers produce. It's just that I've found that home theater video sources and computers have different needs from their respective displays. HDTVs are usually great for movie viewing sources (blu-ray, DVD, LD, etc.), but only good for a computer image. While computer monitors are great for computer images, but only good for movie viewing sources.

Posted: 31 Dec 2018, 17:13 

Cool, did it have "Super Hi Fine Pitch" mode?

I got a flashing red light on my KVHR36 and I had to replace one chip that controlled the start up and totally fixed it. Chip? $1. Working KVHR36? Priceless.
Nah, it wasn't a Super Fine Pitch Trinitron. Just a Hi-Scan.

I knew about the chip replacement, but I was able to find a Super Fine Pitch KD-36XS955 for free right after the 40" went flashing red.

Figured free was better than paying for fixing the 40"

Posted: 04 Jan 2019, 15:56 

Missed the broadcast this year (surprised that it was even shown on TV again!)

Not the best Peanuts special, but still enjoyable.

Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 01:14 

Found this article in an old issue of Video Magazine of a tour of the Pioneer LDCA Pressing Plant in Carson, California. Scanned it in so you all can read too.

http://img18125.imagevenue.com/loc564/th_165292510_LD_Pressing_Plant_1_122_564lo.jpg
http://img18114.imagevenue.com/loc347/th_165292927_LD_Pressing_Plant_2_122_347lo.jpg
http://img18117.imagevenue.com/loc217/th_165293766_LD_Pressing_Plant_3_122_217lo.jpg

Article confirms what Publius stated in another thread when I asked about what was format was used for the master which they pressed LDs from. At this point it was D-2 Digital Composite tape.

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Posted: 17 Apr 2019, 16:58 

Found these at a flea market last week:

https://www.lddb.com/cover/ld/11001-11100/11007.jpg

https://www.lddb.com/cover/ld/00801-00900/00837.jpg

Nice to have Temple of Doom in CAV and I would like to see how badly cropped it is.

And also to compare the colors of this older Bambi release vs the THX release in the late 90s.

Just got this from Japan today . . .

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TNwAAOSwZ2pcefjJ/s-l1600.jpg

And I was outbid for this . . .

queen3_1.GIF

http://i68.tinypic.com/iw3i2d.jpg

Posted: 30 Apr 2019, 17:05 

So why was this only on the remastered widescreen version and not the earlier versions?

After reading on snoops I find it amazing that it sounds like they would have used a theatrical print for the reissue, which is not usually
the case with remastered stuff especially Disney stuff.

It would have made more sense to have the nude in the earlier disc not later.

But now its one I must be on the hunt for :lol:
Obviously Disney used a different print/source for the previous release.

It's just an odd twist of fate that Disney picked out the print with the racy image for the '99 remaster.

As for why they used a print rather than a negative or interpositive? My only guess is that since they used the same transfer for the VHS release the same year (proven by the fact that the topless woman showed up in the VHS release as well and needed to be recalled too), no need to go through the process of using the negative to produce the best picture possible for the muddy VHS release.

Posted: 11 Jun 2019, 22:24 

With a Bluray recorder can you choose between recording on mpeg-2 or mpeg-4 or whatever?

Another question; there is a BD release of Tomb raider 2001 encoded in mpeg-2, have you seen any DVD release encoded in mpeg-1 ?
As far as I know, some early European DVDs used MPEG-1 for the audio compression rather than Dolby Digital.

Never heard of a DVD using MPEG-1 for video though.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 24 matches ]