It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 764 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 28 Apr 2021, 01:56 

Probably something that Julien just can't quite implement so he removed it or it's having issues and he disabled it until he can fix it.

Correct, I disabled it for now because it was confusing a lot of people making a LD search in the HW search and finding nothing at all... and then submitting a new title that already existed.

Until the rest of the HW section is completed, I will keep it disabled.

Julien

Posted: 28 Apr 2021, 02:38 

Accounts are frozen after 1 years and listed for deletion (turning the posts here to guests) after 3~4 years.

For account with NO forum activity (not even one visit to the forum), the decision is easy.

For accounts with few posts (one hello, one technical question unanswered after YEARS), it's also an easy call.

For account with MANY posts or interesting ones, I'd try to contact the registered email address again to see if they would rather log in again to reset the counter or if they don't care anymore. And then decide if the posts' username is worth keeping.

I am not sure how the forum reacts if the account is later reloaded/enabled from the archives, and a user shows up asking to create a new forum account for a username that already exists...

I can't (easily) "unguest" posts, that's how phpBB works.

Julien

Posted: 01 May 2021, 04:27 

I got a set of these rare service LD's off eBay a while back, and I finished encoding and posting them on YouTube tonight. The useful S104 video service guide is also in this playlist...

Breaking them down for convenience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2HBG7HrY7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj8RE1EV_Q4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh1ysah_1B0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIMBrbRPRro

Julien

Posted: 01 May 2021, 04:45 

teddanson wrote:
This is not on LDDB and I would like to add it to the database. Can anyone translate the title please?

Feel free to complete what's missing (just added it): Kiki and Lala's Blue Bird (1989) [TOL?-????]

Julien

Post subject: Re: [LD-S9] E3 error
Posted: 03 May 2021, 13:58 

Based on the video and the Pioneer Error codes: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7645

E3 = Slider problem at clamping stage

You seem to confirm the slider of the optical block is the one having issues since you can reset it manually.

During slider movement, a time over-run occurred (track count search 20 seconds, mandatory movement 10 seconds)

Probable cause(s):

Slider ceased being able to run
The slider mechanism is mechanically locked and can no longer move to its target
Slider position switch KO

Probably a good idea to focus on the slider!

I know the sound sequence of LD-S9 quite well and yours, when playing a disc, seems to spend too much time at each stage... multiple time outs?

Julien

Post subject: Re: Oppo UDP-205 PRE-ORDER
Posted: 05 May 2021, 09:20 

Although I upgraded to the latest firmware for the 205, the player would not detect the MQA flag on the MQA CD... making it sound crappy compared to the Redbook version. :-(

So I ended up selling all my MQA discs, losing no $ in the process, and now I can have some relief I didn't waste money on that marketing scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjsu9-Vznc

Japan music studios are still trying to cram them down their customers' throat.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?term.media_format=&f=major&q=mqa&f=major&q=&f=major&q=&order=reldesc_at&range.rel=&range.sale_price=&term.caption=&term.audio_language=

Julien

Posted: 12 May 2021, 03:25 

The problem with eBay is that is used to be a hobby.

Correct. When it was a flea market to empty your garage/attic, it was great.
We had insertion fees -- meaning you wouldn't re-list ad nauseam the same junk hard to sell items, but list to sale -- and no selling fees most of the time (late 90's). Mostly auctions, with reserve price. Buy It Now didn't even exist at the time.

Then selling fees started around 2~3%. Then 5% then 7% then 9% then 9% + shipping costs because there was a clear loophole to list items for $1 and charge $250 in shipping, then 10% then 12% and above in some countries where they charge VAT to their customers.

Along the way 2 things happened: AMAZON and legal threats related to them defining themselves as an "auction' website when they had very little related to what a real auction process does.

eBay got greedy and probably a little scared.

They saw that they were losing the professional market and started to really only care about high volume/high revenue sellers.
They rebranded to call themselves a global commerce leader that connects millions of buyers and sellers around the world. .

One big consequence is that eBay is mostly a fixed price universe now, the auction days are very, very far behind.
Auctions put the power in the buyers' hands. Fixed prices + Best Offers put the power in the sellers' hands and bring prices upwards.

For decent shipping + Paypal fees, most people are being charged around 15%~20% now.
The flea market years are over for the Western world.

Some other places got different outcomes:

In Japan, eBay lost to Yahoo Auctions in early 2000's and closed shop.
In Singapore, nobody likes to play auctions by bidding up. You just contact the seller and ask for a discount. eBay is free to list and sell in Singapore , they gave up.

Julien

Posted: 14 May 2021, 08:04 

Finally some good news!

Japan -> USA EMS to resume operations from June 1st.

Resumption of EMS Service to the United States
https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2021/0513_01_en.html

Double-edged sword though!

We will also introduce additional fees.

Julien

Post subject: Re: Warped discs
Posted: 15 May 2021, 14:33 

I'm getting a lot more warped copies from Japanese sellers these days.
Just poorly stored, kept on shelves at an angle for years, etc.

So far I have been able to fix them all => 2 weeks with ~20 LDs (to get the weight evenly distributed) on top of them on a flat surface, then flip them and another 2 weeks.

Received an unplayable The Abyss few weeks ago -- the warp was so obvious my HLD-X9 stopped trying after ~5min. both sides.
Kept them stacked like described above and watched it yesterday entirely without a problem.

Julien

Posted: 16 May 2021, 03:34 

Been VERY busy with covers, but still some are pending and/or need reworking and/or are of too poor quality and have been discarded.

https://www.lddb.com/stats.php?id=14

Attachment:
covers.png

Julien

Posted: 25 May 2021, 16:03 

Took me a while to get my setup more or less where I wanted it to be.

Not ashamed of posting a pic anymore (gear list in my sig, full gear list is here).

Attachment:
J-HT.JPG

Julien

Posted: 27 May 2021, 17:47 

rein-o wrote:
Nothing like having american psycho on top of your expensive infinity's,

:lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe I was playing Phil Collins!

Julien

Posted: 28 May 2021, 04:19 

FWIW there is a French trilogy box set that's subtitled. It's actually the only way to get the original versions in widescreen and in English in the PAL regions. :?

Is it the "Black Pyramid" version?

Star Wars: Coffret Trilogie: Edition Collector [856235]

I bought the VHS letterboxed boxset when I was a student, to study English at home.
I'd put a black piece of paper at the bottom of the screen to hide the French subtitles!

I didn't have a LD Player at that time (and no budget for it either ) so... VHS it was.

https://i20.servimg.com/u/f20/11/45/73/12/k710.jpg

Today I can hide subtitles as well in the back bars of 2.35:1 movies, but I used the Radiance 2144 framing for that, it's more elegant. :mrgreen:

Julien

Posted: 31 May 2021, 06:17 

Added, thanks!

I used the master ref from the mint marks: 3D Soft [U-ROMAM] [SAV970701]

Julien

Posted: 31 May 2021, 07:08 

teddanson wrote:
Are you able to translate any of the text on the printout? I am still trying to find more information.

I already translated the chapters/frames count.

The other paper is only a description of the storyline for U-ROMAM (UFOs reached Earth and a defender is activated or something like that).

Julien

Posted: 01 Jun 2021, 06:57 

Double-edged sword though!
We will also introduce additional fees.

New EMS prices to USA are in and they're roughly 20~35% increased up to 2Kg and 35~45% increased between 2 and 5Kg.

EMS.png

Expect some quick news from your favorite proxy services soon!

Update : the new price table is available in Japanese only here .

Julien

Posted: 08 Jun 2021, 01:51 

First Japan -> USA EMS in 14 months and... It still rocks!

06/03/2021 14:18 Posting/Collection TOKYO
06/07/2021 11:02 Final delivery UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Julien

Post subject: Re: Panasonic LX-300
Posted: 16 Jun 2021, 07:25 

ldfan wrote:
Please post a picture of the player.

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/panasonic/panasonic_lx-300/panasonic_lx-300.htm
https://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/00-05471-80541-00.html?LNG=E

=> Panasonic LX-300

Julien

Posted: 23 Jun 2021, 14:50 

eBay completed shows a recent $400~800 range based on condition and level of completeness.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=pioneer+elite+dvl-90&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&_odkw=pioneer+dvl-90&_osacat=0&LH_Complete=1

Julien

Posted: 02 Jul 2021, 02:53 

With the latest batch provided by fellow LDDb'ers we just reached a neat 67% of covers available.

While 70% might be in sight in the coming months, I don't think we'll ever reach 80% in the near future.
My scripts to scrap Yahoo Japan Auctions well shot covers (front/back) has added roughly 10% more covers and many, many were updated (front+back).
Unless you have a collection of exotic titles, you should be near 100% of covers.
If not... please submit them :-)

Visually it looks like this. Each line is 200 pixels (200 LDs) starting with #LDDB=00001 at the top-left, going all the way to #00200 to the right.
The line below stars from #00201 till #00400, etc. Then I use a "cooling lava" set of colors.

Gray = no cover
Yellow = cover was added/updated less than 3 months ago
Orange = cover was added/updated less than 6 months ago
Red = cover was added/updated less than 12 months ago
Black = cover was added/updated more than a year ago

cover_distrib.png

We are now looking for obscure South-East Asia releases, tons of Karaoke releases that few people still care about, and lots of PAL releases with low production numbers.

But still aiming at 80% as the final goal :-)

Julien

Posted: 08 Jul 2021, 03:21 

Opened my Ultimate Matrix Collection, The [---] today...

Very modern art!

Attachment:
TUMC.jpg

Of course none of them play anymore.

Julien

Posted: 13 Jul 2021, 09:05 

It should go straight to the bank account you linked to ebay, that's the way it is with my ebay account.

eBay.png

We are now July 13th and I had to dig up eBay France URL for the new selling account to get an eBay balance.
Another bonus: the link for "Learn how you get paid" doesn't work!

So, it doesn't go to Payoneer or the bank account first, I suppose?

(Updated)
It's
Payment -> delayed payment to eBay balance -> next day bank transfer -> another 3 business days to bank
Payment -> delayed payment to eBay balance -> next day Payoneer transfer -> bank transfer -> another 3 business days to bank

6 days minimum? But you have to ship within 3~4 days?

All of that for more fees . Brilliantly moronic.

Time to finish coding the Hardware database.

I might see a sharp increase of requests to be a seller on LDDb coming July 10th...

I did get a new stream of selling requests starting with " I can't use eBay anymore "...

Julien

Post subject: Re: Odd PAL disc
Posted: 14 Jul 2021, 05:40 

Just added after confirmation: a French PAL VHD

Châteaux de la Loire (1985) [900247]

Cover to be added soon.

Julien

Posted: 16 Jul 2021, 06:10 

teddanson wrote:
Madness. It doesn't even have a movement in it to justify the price. That's a pure cash grab item.

I was hoping for an automatic one as well...

Big let-down when I saw it was just a tweaked design and an OS with Mario theme pics/animation.

Pretty lame.

Julien

Post subject: Re: Indonesian laserdiscs
Posted: 21 Jul 2021, 15:19 

I have two of these discs on the pictures but they are not on the database yet.

Feel free to complete what you can, I added them all with the minimal information we have from the cover:

Sesepuh Majapahit [???]
Si Manis Jembatan Ancol [???]
Touch Me Here Touch Me There (1994) [???]
Salah Masuk (1992) [???]
Pergaulan metropolis (1994) [???]
Godaan Cinta (1994) [???]
Gairah Cinta [???]
Gampang-Gampang Susah (1990) [???]
Kanan Kiri Ok 3 [???]
Lupus (1987) [???]
Akibat Terlalu Bebas (1987) [???]
Ketika Musim Semi Tiba (1986) [???]