It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 58 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: AC-3 RF specification?
Posted: 10 Dec 2022, 17:10 

This is a gigantic leap forward, thank you to all involved.

Also, I love it when the nay-sayers are proved wrong. Let the people saying it can't be done get out of the way of the people GETTING it done.

We all benefit from the knowledge and tenacity of a few people here making amazing homebrew projects to keep LD alive indefinitely.

From 3D printed parts to AC3 mod circuits to DdD + LD Decode and now this. Simply amazing .

I know it is asked a lot and always laughed at but I don't put it past someone finding a way to spin these things up to speed in a new player or to burn a CDV.

Anything is possible. Only time and determination are going to stop it.

Posted: 13 Dec 2022, 20:08 

Update December 2022

I finally replaced the original 200W Channel Well PSU with a 220W FSP220-60LE flex ATX PSU. The original had begun to cause visual distortions so it had to go. I bought the replacement on Amazon for maybe $60 about a year ago. The original provided 13A@5V and 15A@12V while the replacement provides 16A@5V and 16A @12V. Even the -12V rail increased from 0.3V to 0.8V. The fan seems to be a little quieter too.

After some basic reading I learned that the original PSU followed the standard color coding for the wires and their voltages. See the image for reference:
connector_atx_pinout.gif

The replacement PSU has a 20 pin molex connector (as in Version 1 above) with all the connections necessary. It also followed the standard color coding. I verified the correct voltages with a DMM prior but all I had to do was match the colors.

The C2 motherboard uses a 6 pin connector that I din't have so I cut the wires about 2 inches from the PSU so I could solder the new PSU to them.

-12=BLUE
+12=YELLOW
+5=REDx2
0V/COM=BLACKx2

Power on is GREEN and needs to be connected to a BLACK wire to power up the unit. This could be wired to a switch and mounted externally for convenience....or just use a dedicated power strip or even a smart plug maybe.

Seems to work just fine. I noticed that after about 12 hours the fan was definitely still running while the C2 was turned "OFF".

I hope this thing lives a long life. The MTBF is 100K hours so that's 11.4 years at 24/7 use. Even at 1/4 I'm happy :)

Posted: 16 Dec 2022, 16:06 

Cotton Club, The (1984) [17145]

As far as movies and the US is concerned and according to Disclord.

Posted: 26 Dec 2022, 18:23 

In my stupid opinion, a lot of people in this game are very rigidly focused on "THE BEST".

Stop. Perfection is an illusion.

Guess what? LD looks like LD in every LD player/Display you put it LD in/on. It will never *not* look like a LD. No matter how you scale it or project it you're still watching a LD with all its inherit limitations and nostalgia. DdD is the only way to improve what you see on a LD.

DVLs are fine. Karaoke Players are fine. Panasonics with issues are fine. Old flip top players are fine. Whatever.

Oh, but you want the best? Spend the $2K for an X0 and call it a day. Guess what, it will still look like an LD and likely have issues :)

I hope that answers your question :|

Posted: 13 Mar 2023, 16:30 

Well done and great job! Its always nice when people help each other.

Posted: 19 Mar 2023, 18:02 

Maybe its me or they way the images are presented but on the one with the blonde girl that you ask about skin tone, the 900 with the extra black on the right looks slightly compressed/squeezed horizontally and thus the AR looks a little off compared to the 99. Other images are less telling but it looks to be consistent.

Can you put up a test image with a circle in it as a comparison? Or could you overlay two images in photoshop to confirm the image is cut off and not squished?

I haven't been paying too much attention to your 900 saga so maybe I missed that bit. I'm sure its been investigated I just don't care enough to look it up right now.

My 900 is from April 1995 and seems to be not affected by the APL issue or the cut off issue...I like this player a lot except that it pauses a still frame on the side flip :(

Posted: 22 Mar 2023, 16:59 

Copy that, don't want to go against the grain of those experts :)

Some of the experts who've suggested certain high end units have missed the fact that the image is cut off on the top of the fame until YEARS later (Lumagen/Kramer). So much in-depth testing and they missed that its cutting off the frame...

Remember; this is Laserdisc there is no "perfect". No perfect software, player, processor or display.

I tried to line up your images but realized you hadn't used the exact same frame so I assumed whatever differences I saw were just a slight difference in the angle of the frame. For comparisons it may be useful to tun on the display so you can show the frame/time so you can make fair evaluations of different set ups with the same disc and frame.

My 900 lives in a spare room and is connected to my CRT so I guess I haven't really checked it against anything else. Again, the fact that it shows a random still on side flips makes it a no go for me in the main room. The 600 looks almost as good and goes to black on side flips, which I prefer.

Maybe I'll do a quick test this week. The 900 is connected to my DVD recorder so its easy to make a recording.
Page 3 of 3 [ Search found 58 matches ]