It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 399 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Discoloration
Posted: 05 Sep 2022, 03:37 

Are you sure you don’t see any discoloration on the antenna and game system?

You did mention having the LD player’s blue screen up to easily see the discoloration so maybe it’s still there on the other two sources but you just can’t distinguish it because there is no blue screen.

Also, 35” TVs’ are notorious for these kinds of issues. I recall a fairly low end Mitsubishi (possibly a CS-35205) that was particularly bad with corner discoloration and I suspect it was due to not having enough magnetic shielding around the tube.

In regards to degaussing, you can test if it is working as there is a manual degauss button in the front that you can press to see if that does anything. You will see the picture compress a bit for a second and that means the degausser is working. Also, the polarity switch does have a position called neutral and that should be set there if the TV is facing either East or West.

Posted: 05 Sep 2022, 18:20 

You could always get a degaussing ring to see if that might fix the corner discoloration (or reduce it). Here is one available on eBay....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284954193869?hash=item425897efcd:g:uqUAAOSwMSFjE3w9

How you use this is that you wave this ring in front of the TV in a circular motion and back away slowly in the process of doing so. You may have to concentrate more of the wave on those corners to see if it will fix the issue.

However, I have seen these issues before and many times once they are there you can't totally get rid of it. It might be damage from some magnetic field @ some point in time (I think I recall an incident when working @ The Good Guys that some 35" TVs' were stored near speakers in a stock room and that was enough to screw them up).

Post subject: Re: Cleaning
Posted: 11 Sep 2022, 18:33 

You never use any kind of chemicals on a disc surface as it has the potential to mar the finish and then the laser will not be able to read the data.

Just use water and a non-abrasive cloth and don’t wipe in a circular pattern.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning
Posted: 11 Sep 2022, 21:24 

https://blog.teufelaudio.com/cd-cleaning-and-care-how-to-keep-every-disc-on-the-spin/#chapter5

This applies to all type of optical discs

I will also add that using alcohol has the potential to get into the adhesives on an LD and if that happens you could potentially create an opening for laser rot. It's your choice if you want to risk that.

If you have more than 2 LDs you should have their original inner sleeves which say how to clean these discs.

Just checked some of my discs and the warnings only mention choking hazard for kids and how to store discs to prevent damage.

Even player manuals say how to clean discs, please pay more attention and don't destroy our precious LDs.

That I can concur that is accurate at least on the manuals I have; not sure if that's consistent from year to year but I assume yes.

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 06:03 

See page six of the following manual......

https://manuals.lddb.com/AC3RF_Demodulators/Lexicon_LDD-1-EN.pdf

The only thing you need to disregard is the proprietary DIN cable for other Lexicon products and simply add a composite video cable from the LD player to whatever composite video input on your AV Receiver you have assigned to your same analog audio cables.

Lastly, you will need to read your AV Receiver manual to know how to switch from Digital or Analog audio inputs for when you might play back an "analog sound only" disc.

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 17:38 

Let's hope the player arrives intact. Shipping is the bane of many LD players. :wtf:

Posted: 18 Sep 2022, 07:11 

I had a small a small digital alarm clock on top of the tv......TV....... it has a small speaker. I know I know.

Honestly speaking, that's not so unusual that one would have missed that. If the TV had more lead shielding, it may not have affected it.

This also reminds me of a time that I had a micro cassette answering machine next to my cordless phone base. Every so often the answering machine would literally go nuts and fail to record or playback messages. I kept thinking it was just a machine going bad and there was nothing I could do about it. Then one day, I decided I needed to look inside of it and as I studied how the mechanism worked I noticed something interesting that gave me an idea of what the problem could be. The machine was designed w/ reed switches to operate the motor functions and it dawned on me that they rely on magnetism to work. So... I simply moved the answering machine further away from the cordless phone base and just like that the answering machine worked perfectly again. The issue was that the cordless phone base was also a speaker phone with an un-shielded speaker giving off enough magnetism to mess w/ the answering machine reed switches.

I don't think the manual for the answering machine mentioned anything about placement so it's not like I should have known that was a possible problem. So yeah... nothing to be embarrassed about ;).

Posted: 20 Sep 2022, 17:07 

Yes I know this I have the manuals for both the player and the lexicon when the ac3 in locked you cannot change to the L or R channels

That is correct and the reason is because your AV Receiver is still on a "Digital" input. You need to tell your Sony AV Receiver (I think that's what you have) to switch to the "Analog" input. Once you are able to do that, you will have access to both the Digital (utlilizing the player's built in DA Converter) and Analog audio tracks of the disc. If you want to hear the commentary track of a particular disc, in the majority of cases you then need to use the player remote to switch to analog via the "D/A CX" button and then use the "audio monitor" button to pick between Left or Right channel to hear the particular commentary.

so if let's say I wanted to listen to the commentary track on Men In Black I would have to turn off the lexicon to listen to the R channel because it automatically goes to ac3 correct?

As I noted above, you need to switch the AV Receiver to the "Analog" audio input. Then you need to switch your player also to the "analog" track on the disc via the "D/A CX" button. The commentary track is on the "left analog" track on Men In Black since the "right analog" track is now the AC3 data track. (If there was no AC3 encoding on a disc; both left and right analog track could be different commentary tracks, a combination of a mono movie soundtrack + commentary, or just a stereo soundtrack).

I really appreciate you input I have read allanuals even for the receiver but it just doesn't detect DTS and there is no sound ima tinker woth it a bit but thank you guys!

Are you playing a DTS laserdisc?

Posted: 20 Sep 2022, 21:47 

That's because it can't output DTS on DVD (DTS on an LD is fine since it's DTS encoded on a PCM track).

DTS compatibilty arrived on DVL players starting w/ the Elite DVL-91 and DVL-919.

Also, just remember in general that at least the first two years of the DVD format did not have DTS support since it was deemed an optional sound format.

Posted: 21 Sep 2022, 05:24 

No problem. if you have more questions or issues, let us know 8-).

Posted: 11 Oct 2022, 05:44 

I'm sure there are a small number of people interested in a mod kit like this. It would definitely help facilitate more people willing to mod their players if they didn't have to build a board from scratch. I myself did scratch build my last two boards w/ this schematic and I can confirm it does work perfectly (but only for MAH players mainly sold in the US & Japan so please be aware of that; MAL players are mostly European models).

Moving on, I do have some comments....

It will be configurable with a PCB mounted BNC jack because I like BNC connectors. For those of you who don't like BNC connectors, I'll include an option to include a standard BNC-to-RCA adaptor that can fit right on the jack.

I can understand why you like BNC as it is definitely the better connector design. However, since all AC3-RF hardware was built around the RCA jack, it would probably make sense to simply offer the kit w/ an RCA jack option exclusively.

You can omit the mute circuit if you want by carefully removing Q2 and then jumping the correct pads. Figured better to include the mute portion than not. 

I would always encourage everyone to use Mute. Maybe it's only been my experience but of the one player I modded and left the mute off (I shorted the mute line to GND per instructions from a kit I was using), I would always get a sporadic loud bang on my speakers during the initial start up of a disc. However, all my players w/ a working mute circuit never exhibited this issue.

Posted: 11 Oct 2022, 18:39 

I wasn't aware of BNC degrading signal

I'm pretty sure that Zeta implied the need to not include an unneeded adapter that can cause additional signal degradation. I would agree with this too.

RCA jacks aren't expensive if you know where to look. These are the one's that I buy and they work great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195104436610?hash=item2d6d217182:g:ocQAAOSwaTpimSKf&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4Kx%2FXGHMwJA5bhybyj6iGOtaRTRu%2B4W1%2Fyd%2F%2FppojgHkF55tFZ2RKr2Hf9NP%2BC9%2F3568wQ52P6CNuDDJSXNQSYPY99L6UZd%2BouSDlJ6yRGSsg9Rp0IFRAb4FcnP6is3qjjoynpDN6j50Rz3%2FRrk0eoobGPFwlXAMx2J8K5y8Z2O8yPQkWGV0WcRc%2FxXjAXwIM5F7JMKCxI1gR1kMwqFEVgBMojYdCo9KMhkR078kmceWrH0%2Bi%2BKuqKAcwKCvNV2R39CEemdIjTwhFHmwPkMQZneTxrFJgP68a2nzFSuee8yF%7Ctkp%3ABFBMyIX3gflg

Post subject: Re: DVL-700 auto flip
Posted: 22 Oct 2022, 22:46 

In many cases, you need a new loading belt. Are you hearing a squealing sound as the laser is about to flip?

If you have never replaced it before, it's most likely due for a new one. The loading belt essentially performs three jobs; moving the tray in & out, raising and lowering the transport, and adjusting tilt. The tilt from my experience is usually the main issue when Side B refuses to play as the turn mechanism jams up during the exchange because the tilt of the mechanism is not in the correct position it needs to be due to the belt slipping.

The part number for a belt is VEB-1184....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174868673362?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

Post subject: Re: DVL-700 auto flip
Posted: 24 Oct 2022, 06:43 

As Kurtis stated, maybe you don't need to replace your belt but need a new grip ring instead.

However, if you still want to replace the belt, you simply need to remove the cover & pop the tray out, unplug the power, remove the tray by releasing the locking tabs, and the belt is located on the left front of the player for easy access.

In any case, Kurtis did comment about it here....

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=8862

Also, I agree with Kurtis regarding the video that is posted on this topic; don't need to remove the front panel of the player to access the belt.

Post subject: Re: Lexicon shocking
Posted: 26 Oct 2022, 07:37 

freddukes wrote:
cool dry basement

That sounds like a recipe for static discharge. ;)

Posted: 29 Oct 2022, 20:10 

I would say neither. Why would you want a pan & scan edition of the film?

Post subject: Re: What is CX?
Posted: 03 Nov 2022, 17:50 

CX was also added for this reason per its Wikipedia page.....

While CX greatly improved the audio quality of LaserDisc's FM audio tracks, its primary reason for adoption was to decrease the amount of interference between the right channel's FM audio carrier and the video carrier's first chroma sideband. Without CX, strict filtering during mastering and playback as well as keeping color saturation below 75% on the master were required to keep any interference below −35 dB, which ensured that no beats or other artifacts were visible in the demodulated image.

You can read the entire entry here....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CX_(noise_reduction)

Post subject: Re: What is CX?
Posted: 03 Nov 2022, 19:40 

Great info, thanks buddy :thumbup:

When I play discs which can shift between CX settings I should always keep it in CX-STEREO mode for best audio quality?

In most cases, you don't have to do anything.

CX in a high percentage of discs already have a flag in place to turn it on and prevent the user from overriding it (as crashoveride already stated). Thus, you simply let the player do its thing. On Digital Sound discs, it doesn't even matter at all since the digital tracks do not utilize CX so it's irrelevant.

On the rare analog audio only audio discs where there is no flag and thus you can choose to keep CX on or off, you should probably look to the jacket or the disc itself for the CX mark as that would mean the disc is encoded but you have to manually turn it on. If there is no CX logo anywhere, best to keep it off.

Also, as signofzeta mentioned, don't get hung up on this "CX-Stereo" indicator. They are two separate things. The reason you see it is because you must have one of the newer players where Pioneer combined all the Digital, Analog, and CX functions into one button on the remote (e.g.: "D/A CX"). On older players, we have two buttons labeled something like "Auto Digital Analog" and "CX".

Post subject: Re: No audio on laserdisc
Posted: 05 Nov 2022, 03:26 

Appears that The Breakfast Club is an analog audio disc. Did you try playing it with the left & right output jacks?

Posted: 05 Nov 2022, 06:26 

Are you running the white and red audio outputs to your AV Receiver along with your AC3-RF and Digital Out to the Lexicon and then also to the AV Receiver?

If you are not, then you need to do it. Once done, depending on your brand AV Receiver, you may need to manually switch between the analog or digital audio source (some models are automatic and that would work if you can shut down the Lexicon which I know you can't do easily).

Posted: 06 Nov 2022, 05:46 

Yeah, I think auto is only for the digital or something it can pickup.

It's really about audio priority. The way my Denon works in "auto mode" is that priority is given to HDMI, followed by coax/optical digital, and then analog. It works perfectly w/ my Sony, SDP-EP9ES in that when I leave it "on" the Denon will always prioritize whatever digital signal it chooses (AC3-RF or Digital) and then turning it "off" tells the Denon that only analog is the option.

I can't ask for a more flexible and smooth switching set-up with the numerous audio connection options LD has to offer.

Posted: 11 Nov 2022, 08:00 

…..so was it a Phillips attempt to try and swing the format name to their preference back then one wonders?

Maybe… maybe not. I think it was more about creating an association with the successful CD format to the niche LD format to spawn a revival of sorts (LD was at this point starting to grow in popularity and I’m sure anything to quicken that pace was on their mind). I think it really just created more confusion as an LD is anything but “compact”.

Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-600
Posted: 20 Nov 2022, 08:08 

There are a set of power supply caps on the main board hidden within a metal cage. Have you replaced those caps as well?

Posted: 26 Nov 2022, 07:43 

You should read my posting about repairing my remotes.....

A tale of two Pioneer remote control repairs

It's going to be a hit or miss but it is doable to fix this issue if you can follow all the traces that are damaged and effectively jump them all.

Posted: 10 Dec 2022, 23:29 

Yes. I’ve been working along fixing a bunch of my past posts due to my photo sharing site doing this incredibly irritating mass delete; don’t know why I bother sticking with them.

I’ll update it later today. I know which pictures they were.

Update..... go back to page three to see the updated pics.
Page 13 of 16 [ Search found 399 matches ]