It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 399 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 02 Apr 2019, 17:28 

That's why I would never buy a standalone AC3-RF Demodulator as people think that is the "only" way to get the coding out of the player.

I would recommend searching out these three models on eBay:

Sony, SDP-EP9ES
Sony, SDP-E800
Denon, AVD-2000

These are all Surround Processors with AC-3RF Demodulators built in but they also have an S/PDIF optical output that will convert the signal and send it over to your AV Receiver (in other words, you just use these processors as a digital switcher).

Every so often you'll see these units sell for a lot less than a standalone AC3-RF Demodulator. You'll just have to be patient.

Post subject: Re: CLD-M450 Disassembly
Posted: 16 Apr 2019, 03:54 

I still think you have a bad belt.

I know from experience w/ my M90 that the belts on the changers are even more critical in that they need to be really tight since this is probably the heaviest tray that Pioneer made for any of their players and thus needs more lifting torque.

if you own an Alpha Turn model from around the same time period that uses the PEB-1013 belt, you can use the belt from that player to test it on your M450 to see if it works better.

Post subject: Re: LD-V4400
Posted: 20 Apr 2019, 08:50 

It obviously starts w/ needing points for the player to do either of the mods.

For AC3-RF, I assume the 4400 is very similar to the 4300 (don't hold me to it; just guessing since they look very similar) of which we have the service manual available here....

http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/LD/LD-V4300D/

If you go to page 16 of the pdf, it appears to show where many of the points for the mod are located (e.g.: RF, +5V, -5V, and GND are located on connector CN1 and Mute appears to be on connector CN16 or CN18). Not sure if this 4400 is a Mute Active High (MAH) or Mute Active Low (MAL) player since it appears to be a PAL capable machine which are usually MAL (this makes a difference since a mod board needs to be built for either design).

Once you know that information, then you need to build the AC3-RF board. This is the version I made for my Pro-Scan player...

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7827

This board is made specifically for an MAH player.

Moving on to the S/PDIF output, you can buy a kit from ebay to make this job easier but you'll still need to get the information on where the digital output resides in the player. Once again, going back to the service manual, page 24 of the manual shows the AudB board and the digital output appears to be located on IC-306, pin 60 (DOUT). You'll also need to verify if pin 59 (MD2) is pushing 5VDC as this indicates if the digital output is switched on for the chip (a reading of 0VDC means it's off but I believe you just need to jump 5v to it to get it turned on).

Anyway... here is the digital output kit that I will be using for my digital out mod on my CLD-M90....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CDROM-car-navigation-digital-signal-shaping-buffer-board-SPDIF-fiber-coaxial-out-/132130972507?hash=item1ec39ea35b

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Posted: 07 May 2019, 00:43 

Need to check if pin 59 needs the 5 volt.

In most cases I would think it’s already powered as my CLD-M90 is powered already. Just make sure to use a voltmeter in continuity mode to trace out from pin 59 and then take the measurement from where a larger pin is located on the board (just to avoid shorting out the chip).

Curious to see the boards arrive. The cable would be included. Fair price for a decent boards.

Haven’t used mine yet but i’m sure it will work fine. I’m probably going to use a different RCA jack for my mod as I don’t like the size of the one provided. Also, trying to figure out a method to cut out a square opening so I can also run the optical output. And yes, the coax cable is included.

Posted: 11 May 2019, 00:25 

Is there any notable visual improvement in the 3070 over the 1070/2070?

Based on this screen capture from the brochure, there were no differences in sound and picture quality between a 2070 and 3070.

70 series
https://i.vgy.me/uVa7XK.jpg

But later on for the 80 and 90 series, there were minute differences between the 20 and 30 players in picture as well as sound quality.

80 series
https://i.vgy.me/H0NJ8o.jpg

90 series
https://i.vgy.me/PWZbBb.jpg

I should note as well that for the 30 series, I think the only difference between a 1030 and 3030 is just audio quality differences. The 3030 has 4x oversampling twin DA converters and also sports an optical audio output. The 1030 has the 2x oversampling with only one DA converter for both channels and does not have an optical output.

Posted: 11 May 2019, 19:09 

Nice optical output mod. :thumbup:

At first I thought it was a factory output and then I noticed the back panel was transplanted. I wouldn't mind doing something like this for my M90 mod but I don't have any spare parts like that lying around. When I get a chance to start on my mod, I'll create a detailed post on it.

Good to know that your digital out on the chip will work on the LD-V4400.

Posted: 17 May 2019, 00:50 

Wow... you work fast ;) . And nice work on the mod. I like the way you implemented the back panel; gives me some ideas for my upcoming mod.

Hope you didn’t actually try to solder the wire directly to the leg of the chip for the digital output. If so, that’s much harder. I always look for a bigger point that makes continuity with the pin on a chip.

Posted: 18 May 2019, 03:55 

Soldered it straight to the leg :?
Didn’t investigate the sihnal path but the next one I’ll do that.
Not sure if it does have a signal path actually :?:
It was trial and error soldering on a scrap board to get the hang of it.

As long as you did not damage it, you should be good.

In any case, most larger chips (especially from yesterday's electronics) will have an obvious signal path that is usually easy to follow with a good eye and a voltmeter set to continuity mode to verify the path.

Here is an example of the DSP chip off of my CLD-M90....

https://i.vgy.me/k4aU8k.jpg

It makes it so much easier to solder to the pin that my voltmeter probe is touching in the pic. :)

Posted: 11 Jul 2019, 04:21 

Your CLD-D704 remote should be able to access all the CAV special effects feature on your CLD-D503.

As noted in the pic below, all of your slow motion and step features should work w/ the buttons highlighted in "red" . The high speed forward and reverse effects will work w/ the shuttle ring highlighted in "orange" (the jog portion within the shuttle ring will not work w/ the CLD-D503).

https://i.vgy.me/Kc1UUl.jpg

If none of this works for you, then maybe there is something else not working.

Posted: 14 Jul 2019, 01:08 

I don't want to take sides on this oddball argument but I will say that I had no issues regarding any of Vectrex's questions.

In fact, this question about full CAV support was surprisingly educational for many (e.g.: gypsy didn't even know still frame worked on his LD-S1 ;) ) and I ended learning how some of us old timers overlook something we think is very simple and it turns out it's not so obvious to a newbie.

So yes... we do get a lot of repetitive questions but that can't always be helped. How many times have we discussed "replacing a loading belt" and "how to properly use an AC3-RF Demodulator?". It's just endless and even Julian's attempt to create a section on troubleshooting hasn't made it that much easier to search out a particular curiosity.

And let me just add; it's not like these questions are like "someone we know but I won't say" who was asking questions that just had no business being on the forum in most cases. :roll:

Posted: 15 Jul 2019, 06:33 

Is there any risk of damage if I set it up wrong?

Nothing really risky about adding an RF Demodulator. Even the wrong connections at worst would just exhibit possible noise on your speakers.

I believe most have it on the right analog channel?

All AC3 encoding on LD is located on the right analog audio channel. In addition, in case you just did not know, you do need a player w/ an "AC3-RF output" (just mentioning that since we still get the occasional person thinking that one can extract the AC3 coding off of the analog right channel of the player).

Posted: 19 Jul 2019, 05:48 

Without really knowing for sure based on the video, it looks like the tensioner for the ribbon cable that connects the laser pick-up may not be pulling it back properly. Maybe the ribbon cable is not looped around the tensioner properly or a spring is not tight enough to retract the tensioner. Or you might even have a sticky residue on the ribbon cable itself that was a problem on the CLD-D701.

I can check my CLD-59 later to see how it works and report back later (has the same Epsilon Turn mechanism).

Also, it could be a motor holder issue too that is just starting to have issues.

Posted: 26 Jul 2019, 00:23 

According to the manual for a similar model , it's supposed to be turned on when using the TV's speakers for karaoke. It doesn't say why, though.

The reason is because the human voice can be very powerful and will blow speakers unless something like an attenuator is added in to filter out the highs.

If you set-up this LD player with an AV Receiver or amp and use PA speakers, you can keep the attenuator function off. Also, when not using the LD player for Karaoke, also keep the attenuator off since it just sounds less dynamic with it on.

As for the CDG port, this is an interface on your player to just add an external adapter that will give it CD+G capability if you have discs for it (Denon’s LA-3500 which is essentially a Panasonic, LX-900 has CD+G built in). CD+G was a cheaper option than the use of LaserDisc Karaoke software since there were only still images with subtitles instead of full motion video that required a production company to simply make a video. CD+G never really caught on except for the Karaoke market but there were a few CD albums that did incorporate it like Information Society’s debut album.

Posted: 04 Aug 2019, 08:48 

Based on the pics I found of the two players on-line, it appears that the CLD-2710K is the US equivalent of the CLD-V820 and the CLD-1450 is the US equivalent to the CLD-1070.

So taking that into consideration, the 2710K is a newer design and may have a slightly higher Video S/N ratio than the 1450 but overall it would probably be too close to see a difference with our eyes. In addition, I believe the 2710K is an auto reverse model and the 1450 is definitely a single side player.

In my opinion, I would just stick to your player and forget about getting the 1450 unless the person offering it up is asking very little for it since it can be a decent back-up machine for the future (if its working well that is). And if you really want a machine with better performance, you should be aiming for any of the 3000 or D700 models with digital field memory as these machines always sported the slightly better Video S/N ratio.

Posted: 04 Aug 2019, 09:58 

Just finally came across another and thought i would ask. There is also a CLD-980 but ill assume would be the same case?

The 980 is a lower end model than the 1080 (younger sister of the 1070). The problem I have with the 900 series is that they don’t have a full readout LED display (e.g.: like seeing the chapters, time, and frame counter from the player itself) and they are lighter in weight which means they vibrate more and are mechanically noisier machines (something that I feel does play a part in performance as well).

Posted: 04 Aug 2019, 23:31 

I haven't seen a V820 though and don't know much about them.

The CLD-V820 appears to be a CLD-2090 chassis based on its rear jack arrangement.

Just to add some additional information, the 90 series were the first of the 1bit DLC players so audio quality would theoretically be not as good as the mult bit DAC's on the CLD-1070 (4x oversampling, 16bit) and CLD-1080 (8x oversampling, 18bit). Picture quality should be better on the 90 series vs the 70 and 80 series but nothing significant (as I said before).

Posted: 06 Aug 2019, 03:40 

I agree with Zeta.

Based on the cost of any of the HLD units and also the complicated nature of maintaining them should something go wrong (fewer spare parts available for them), you'd be better off w/ a CLD-97 or even the LD-S1 & LD-S2.

Posted: 08 Aug 2019, 06:50 

deadlegion wrote:
So CU-CL0051 or CU-CLD106 remotes should work?

Those will work fine but I would see about getting one with a jog/shuttle control so you can take advantage of your player's trick play functions better.

Posted: 08 Aug 2019, 18:15 

So does the player by itself play a disc or are you just saying the remote does not work? Wasn’t sure based on your question.

In any case, this Denon player is a Pioneer clone so if you need to load pre-programmed IR codes into your universal remote you simply put in the Pioneer codes.

Update>>>

Just viewed your other posting regarding Song of the South. Your picture of the player and discs shows that you have a Denon remote control for a DVD player so that is why it’s not working.

If you're looking for an equivalent remote to control your Denon machine, the Pioneer, CU-CLD069 remote pictured below will be an exact match for it.

https://i.vgy.me/qxWBvv.jpg

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 07:46 

You can use just about any remote control from Pioneer so long as it's specifically made for a LaserDisc player (don't get a Pioneer remote for a DVD player as the codes are different). You can search ebay for deals all the time.

In addition, there is nothing to program on these remotes as they are already designed to work with your player. All the Denon units made by Pioneer stuck w/ the Pioneer codes.

Lastly, there is a chance you can program a universal remote to control your player if the one you own still has older codes or if you have something like a Logitec that have huge databases of IR codes that you can download.

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 19:15 

Most likely need a new loading belt to fix your issue.

See my post below that shows how to replace the belt.

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5774&start=20

You’ll need to order a Pioneer belt under reference number PEB-1013. Here is one available on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-PEB1013-PEB1127-GEM4-3-SQUARE-BELT-/121431335182

Post subject: Re: Quasar Players?
Posted: 11 Aug 2019, 22:24 

Didn't know Quasar made LD players. I wonder what they're clones of?

This Quasar unit is a clone of the Panasonic, LX-101 (in fact, all Quasars are Panasonic clones as they are the same company). Pretty good model overall in respect to build quality. Kind of regret selling one awhile back as it was a good work horse.

Posted: 15 Aug 2019, 20:15 

I personally would avoid the DVL’s because it doesn’t make sense to me to have what constitutes an “average” LaserDisc and DVD player in one.

Better option would be to get an older LD player like a CLD-D70? or CLD-30?0 series of players that have the digital field memory circuit (just to mimic trick play on CLV discs that the DVL units can perform). You’ll usually get a better picture in most cases too (depending if you prefer the more analog look especially on the players before the CLD-D703).

Of course, the caveat is that many of these players may not by in the best shape but that can be said of the DVL’s as well since they have their share of problems being so overly complicated in design. Fortunately, there are some great machines that can pop up every now and then if you look in odd places. I recently picked up a barely used Mitsubishi, M-V7057 (Pioneer, CLD-D704 clone) for just $40 that just needed a new belt and cleaning of the grip ring.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-D504 Remote
Posted: 17 Aug 2019, 18:25 

The number of front panel buttons on AV equipment started to disappear around the early 1990’s as more emphasis was made on creating menu’s to help navigate the myriad of functionality that kept increasing (in particular on AV Receivers’ and VCRs’; not LD players’).

So the good news is that we never saw menus on LD players (except DVL units due to the DVD functions mainly) but the number of buttons did start to dwindle over time. The players with the most front panel buttons were the CLD-3030, CLD-3070, and possibly the CLD-3080 (mostly in that pop out drawer).

But getting to the point of this topic (sorry for being long winded as I like getting into history too much ;) ) the audio buttons —audio monitor and digital/analog — were the rarities that never had buttons on the front panel at anytime from what I can remember unless we go back to the very early top loaders (which were analog only and thus would only have the audio monitor button).

Posted: 19 Aug 2019, 18:26 

As Zeta said, appears the only difference is that the 770 runs on a different voltage so it should be identical other than that to the 703.

For manuals, it appears the user manual for the 704 is only available (I probably should upload my 703 manual to the site at some point) but it’s essentially the same except in regards to the notations regarding the AC3-RF terminal. Here is the link...

https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-D704/

As for performing an AC3-RF mod, you can look here for how one was performed on a 703....

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-d703/pioneer_cld-d703_ac3_uprade.htm

I’ll be getting my 703 modded at some point of which I’ll post when that happens.
Page 2 of 16 [ Search found 399 matches ]