It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 76 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 07 Feb 2020, 13:37 

I spun cool world last night. I had never seen it before but have always been a fan of Bakshi's animation.

This film is absolute chaos from start to finish. All the random animation that fills the screen really brings a sense of anarchy and madness to this world.

The way hollie wood is animated is jaw dropping. Move over Jessica rabbit lol. You can tell the film is far removed from Bakshi's original vision. However what were left with is still a compelling piece of cinema. I'd definitely watch it again!

Posted: 08 Feb 2020, 15:54 

Nope. I believe Laserdisc on a good setup often has the best image quality ever available for many titles.

I agree. Lion king is like that for me. I remember when the DVD came out. The picture was so sharp and pristine it looked fake. The image on the CAV laserdisc is how I think the film should look. A lot of these Disney animated features were animated in a computer but ultimately copied to film for theatrical runs. When releasing the DVD they just port the digital files over. That film intermediary is what makes the movie feel alive. The purely digital DVD just came across as flat.

Posted: 25 Feb 2020, 18:22 

My Sony 40x3500 lcd has a built in digital 3d comb filter. I find that composite in from my x9 gives too smeary a picture. I remember reading that 3d comb filters can cause this and that a motion adaptive comb filter is better because it can switch between 2d and 3d modes during static images and motion. S video in from the x9 looks a lot better. You can adjust the comb filter to either 3d, 2d or in the middle. Composite into my crystallio 2 gives a similar image in terms of motion because of the advanced comb filter. Bottom line is after a lot of testing, I found the comb filter in the tv is just not suited to laserdisc.

All you can do is try different cables and configurations until you find what looks best. That's part of the fun of the hobby for me!

Posted: 25 Feb 2020, 20:21 

Just came home and found a parcel waiting for me. DTS edition of Boogie Nights! :D 8-)

Posted: 26 Feb 2020, 13:02 

I collect Dts releases and late releases of crap movies. I love it. It's what makes the hobby fun for me. I don't feel like a sad hapless dipstick. :thumbup:

Had the day off work. Decided to watch The river wild. What a great movie. Meryl Streep as the mum and Kevin bacon as the bad guy. It reminded me a bit of city slickers but a lot more enjoyable imo. The cinematography was beautifully shot and the score was very exciting. Decided to watch it in the bedroom on the 925. For a thx disc it's quite a noisy one. Would probably fair better on the x9.

Now that I'm a fan of this film I'll have to keep an eye out for the DTS release. :P

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 19:55 

I usually use paper sleeves to pop the onion skin sleeves into.

Haha, I give all my onion sleeves to my neighbour as he has a massive record collection complete with original paper sleeves. I dont think he cares enough to upgrade them to poly lined sleeves like I do for my laserdiscs. His gain I suppose. Plus it keeps them out of landfill.

Posted: 04 Mar 2020, 15:07 

I decided to replace it with a Yamaha Apd-1. I eventually got fed up of using the Yamaha because it had to be stepped down.

What do you mean "stepped down?" Thanks.

Yeah rein-o is right. I live in the UK and mains power is 240v. The apd-1 that I bought requires stepping down to 120v. I got bored of lugging the step down converter out everytime I wanted to watch an ac3 film. Because I use it for other things it doesn't stay there permanently. Now my kenwood is working i dont need to buy a dedicated power converter for the Apd-1.

Makes my life easier. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: HLD-X0 serial numbers
Posted: 07 Mar 2020, 12:13 

It's a shame really. I keep it wrapped up in a towel in the spare room. I dont have the space at the moment to have it set up. One of the s video ports on it has been crushed and when the guy demonstrated it to me the picture was clearly corrupted. Maybe it's a dirty laser? Or maybe because he was using the remaining working s video port, the broken one could be interfering with it? I will make a thread about it one day. When I'm either strong enough to lift it from its corner. Or when someone with steady hands wants to help me lift it. Needless to say I got it very cheap. And even if it's just a parts machine it's still worth having in the flesh.

I would say it's about 35 kilos. Very heavy. The guy I bought it from put it in the boot of my car for me because I dont think he trusted me to lift it. Getting it from my car to my house was a struggle.

Posted: 07 Mar 2020, 21:07 

Jealous of Mystery Men! :mrgreen:

Posted: 13 Mar 2020, 14:37 

That's funny. I watched the puppet masters on laserdisc the other night. Essentially it's a bug movie. Bugs invade earth and a super team has to stop them before they infect and attach themselves to every human. Reminded me of this whole pandemic situation. Great movie btw and good video transfer. It doesn't have the balls of say invasion of the body snatchers, that essentially dooms humanity at the end. When they killed off the nest I was saying to myself, theres always one more! I like the way it secretly attached itself to Donald Sutherland and tried to escape. So the ending didn't disappoint.

I work as a field based engineer. I probably visit 12 different customers houses a day. If I catch Corona I catch it. It doesn't worry me. My company will pay me to go off sick and I can spend all that time watching laserdiscs. :lol:

Posted: 20 Mar 2020, 15:37 

Had this problem with my x9. Kurtis advised me that the grip ring could be on it's way out or that maybe it needs a clean. Luckily my x9 has performed flawlessly since then so I never changed it.

Posted: 22 Mar 2020, 11:22 

Instead of watching films that reflect the current situation, I decided to flick through the collection to find some comedies.

I was always a fan of Bill Bellamy's stand up so I decided to watch How to be a player. Never seen it before having picked it up cheap last year. This is a nasty film full of nasty characters, but let me tell you it made me laugh! Bill Bellamy is a player who is seeing multiple girls at once. His sister hates how he treats women because she was treated the same way. So she and her friend try to scupper Bellamy's love life by trying to invite all his girlfriends to one party. Like I said the film is mean spirited in tone but still comes across as funny. It's not as mean spirited as say Antonio Banderas in Two much. Where he pretends to be his own twin just so he can date two girls at the same time!

For a film that came out in '97 it feels like it came out in '93. It feels very early nineties but in the best possible way. Bernie mac was funny as well. Its always a treat to see him on screen since he passed. I cant say I'd recommend the film to everyone but it cheered me up.

For a complete tonal shift I spun up father of the bride 2 afterwards. Classic movie. Makes me wish I had the first one on ld too. Defiently a bit sappy and schmaltzy, but Steve Martin always puts a smile on my face. What accent is Martin Short meant to be doing in these films anyway?? :lol:

Posted: 24 Mar 2020, 10:26 

I think he was trying to be French? Not too sure.

I'm not sure! Maybe German? It's as incomprehensible as it is hilarious.

Continuing the comedy theme, I decided to pull another random comedy off the shelf that I hadn't seen yet. Pulled out a movie called 'Another Steakout' with Emilio esteves Richard dreyfuss and rosie o Donnell.

I wasn't sure what to expect. On the back of the cover it has a singular thumbs up from Roger Ebert, which means Gene Siskel didnt like it. There were a few funny jokes in it, like a recurring joke about Emilios character having to shave off his moustache. The plot was lame and unexciting. The best part was the opening scene, where they literally blew their entire budget. The pytotechnic explosion at the beginning is so good that nothing else can rival it later on in the film.

Rosie o Donnell is one annyoning actress though. My only real exposure to her being a brit was the flintstones movie. Shes not funny and her voice is extremely grating.

I realised halfway through that this must be a sequel hence the word 'Another' in the title. Not recommended.

After all that I decided to put on some Tex avery cartoons from the compleat collection. Shoulda put that on from the start. 8-)

Posted: 24 Mar 2020, 14:13 

spyrogyro wrote:
Picked up the LD of 'There's Something About Mary'.

"we've got a bleeder!"

"Frank and beans!"

Posted: 24 Mar 2020, 17:45 

Speaking of dub. I just watched Operarion Condor on Ld. Sure is a good movie with some excellent choreography. The end scene in the wind tunnel is iconic. The only thing that detracts is the scene in the hotel which goes on for ages. It was always funny to hear Jackie dub himself in all his American released foreign films. Really helps you forget you're watching a dub.

If it wasnt for the aliasing this disc could be considered near reference in my eyes. Very clean picture with solid colours.

Posted: 08 Apr 2020, 18:05 

Finally got my copy of video essentials in the post. Now I can use the s&w test until my hearts content. When I pulled the disc out, what looked like camera negatives fell out. Turns out they're the blue filters! It wasnt mentioned in the listing, I took a punt and luckily they were included.

Posted: 08 Apr 2020, 18:08 

In a pinch you could just breathe on it and wipe it with a dry cloth. Novus #1 is my go to.

Posted: 13 May 2020, 12:02 

I'll never forget in 2001 when The Fellowship of the Ring came out. I didnt really know much about Lord of the Rings prior. I was invited to a friends birthday party and a bunch of us went to see it. It was so much fun, we all left the cinema pumped to see part 2.

I remember subsequently getting it on vhs. I wanted to show it to my grandad because I kept going on about how good it was. Plus I think he may have read Lord of the Rings back in the day. So we sat down and watched it one evening. For some strange reason, the film didnt have the same impact. It was slow and boring and not at all visually interesting. It was so bad that my grandad switched it off halfway through and said something like, "I cant watch this s**t!"
I remember being really dissapointed. Not only did my grandad not like it but the film itself didnt even hold up!

It wasnt until years later that I realised. Not only were we watching the film in pan and scan, which for a scope film like FOTR is atrocious, we were watching it strecthed!! No wonder my grandad had that reaction. No wonder I felt like the film didnt hold up. We were watching a mere portion of the film and on top of that it was stretched and distorted. :lol:

Needless to say, when the DVD came out and I watched it, my faith in the film was restored. I dont think my grandad ever had any inclination to watch it again.

So great films and great experiences can truly be missed because of incorrect ratios.

Posted: 13 May 2020, 17:46 

From what I can remember 2006 is when HD-DVD and Blu-ray really hit the scene. Literally everyone had a vcr back then so it makes sense that they were released up until that time. Just crazy to think they were pushing out movies in the wrong aspect ratio for that long.

Posted: 24 May 2020, 18:26 

I dont see how the scart connection would give you a better picture. If anything it would be worse than using a dedicated composite lead because when you use scart, you're still only outputting in composite. Except now your using a thinner cable crammed next to a bunch of other thin cables. Using the scart output is not RGB. Laserdisc is a composite format.

Posted: 27 May 2020, 08:40 

If you can do it, I say go for it. Would be interesting to know if it will work. Even if it's just something to do.

Posted: 02 Jun 2020, 11:40 

Congrats on the repair. It does feel gratifying when you can fix something that's not working properly.

Posted: 03 Jun 2020, 09:01 

Fancied something light hearted and nostalgic so picked this up the other day:

Yogi Bear: Hanna Barbera Personal Favorites .

Hi odotb3,

hope you enjoyed the LD & it perhaps brought back some memories.

This title does not have a front or rear cover picture, can you update that if you can?

Every cover counts & it would be appreciated.

Cheers :thumbup: .

Only watched a few eps. My yogi bear impression is still spot on after all these years. :lol:

I definitely will update it. I dont have many laserdiscs in the collection that havent had the pictures updated but the ones that I do I've slowly got around to adding. I added front and back covers for Twin Dragons the other day.

Posted: 03 Jun 2020, 17:09 

I will second rein-o and say that if it's working then dont worry about it. They will probably do a comparable job.

Posted: 06 Jun 2020, 13:35 

Absolute cheesy 80's guilty pleasure piece Action Jackson was being spun last night. So many quotable lines of dialogue, so much over the top action. Vanity and Sharon Stone both appear topless! And the song Vanity sings in the club 'far away eyes' is so catchy. Better than the main song of the film 'he turned me out' by the pointer sisters. What an entertaining movie! It's the sort of movie that puts me in a better mood after having seen it. Shame a letterbox release never materialised
Page 1 of 4 [ Search found 76 matches ]