It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 32 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 11 Apr 2021, 17:02 

God, I just found out how bad the shipping situation is. "Surugaya is back!" - the legendarily cheap LD source is selling to the US again, and I remembered the good old days where the EMS might be an "expensive" 50 bucks or something but the LDs were practically free so it worked out. Found an 8 disc box set I've wanted for like $10, went to the checkout and saw DHL shipping for around $150 :crazy: The hunt will continue for that title.

Post subject: Re: Macross News
Posted: 11 Apr 2021, 18:36 

Just following the bizarre saga of HG makes good spectator sport at this point. HG makes their money off large real estate holdings and associated rackets, Robotech is worth little so their interests in the property are purely as an intellectual property troll at this point - shake down artists that hope that Japanese tire, give in, and just pay the protection money. Agrama is like a mafia don that won't let it go after all these years, who knows if they even break even on the expended effort and simply do it out of momentum and spite. The executive suite of HG is probably a mix of peak 1985 design and Tony Montana's digs.

Posted: 27 Apr 2021, 19:38 

Dormant accounts I noticed wind up as "guest" eventually, unless special measures are taken to preserve a notable username like disclord after his passing. This tends to make archived posts confusing at times when you don't know who wrote them, and in the long term makes for more "guests" as the inevitable entropy overcomes us either through death, Duncanism, or loss of interest.

I believe this is inherent in the board software? I was thinking back to a few years back when I didn't login for a while - I used a saved tab - and had to have my account reinstated and my old posts wound up as "guest" and Julien told me this was from the way php worked.

Internet Archive has spotty crawls that do preserve some defunct usernames, judging from the earliest ones I can find in 2013.

Post subject: Re: S-Video Cables
Posted: 09 Jun 2021, 21:22 

A good thing about the S-Video mini din type connector is that it's pretty hard to over-engineer into a connector breaking "monster" like certain old Monster RCA cables. The insertion force on some of those old "videophile" RCA cables was ridiculous and could literally tear the connectors off the pcb in your equipment. Basically, there's little constraint on the outer diameter of RCA plugs, leading to one's with the death grip, while that din plug is tight quarters (and different mechanics) such that they pretty much have to stick to spec dimensions.

Posted: 20 Sep 2021, 03:48 

Would be interesting to know what my CLD-98 is worth these days - the "international" version of the JP CLD-959 and same guts as the 97, with multi voltage. It's for sure a rare beast, can't say I've seen another sell since mine ages ago.

And yes, the "ghost" of Duncanism still haunts the LD community with the specter of his exposed barn full of rotting customer's ld players and broken dreams. Maybe Duncan occasionally glances at his official Pioneer PR-7820 training diploma on the wall, in between shots of Wild Turkey through tear-stained eyes, wondering where it all went wrong, while assorted rodents and varmints prepare for the coming winter, sheltering in their Pioneer made "homes" out back.

Posted: 20 Sep 2021, 15:31 

The oddest chapter in the Duncan saga was when someone hired a private investigator to save their player from it's purgatory in the barn. Said P.I. then posted on here offering his LD player recovery services and I believe another few players were rescued by this rather expensive mode - it really was only worth it for the most valuable units.

I could almost picture Frank Cannon from the old 70s detective show on METV driving out to the barn and loading the players in the trunk of his Lincoln, dramatic music in the background, bruised and tattered from a heroic two-fisted battle with the wildlife guarding the LD player hoard - stung by wasps, smelling of skunk, bitten by rat...yet triumphant.

One can sympathize with Duncan's personal tragedy, but he was still taking in players well into this whole mess and threads reporting all the units in limbo on here. While his site was still up, I emailed him and he responded right away offering to service a unit, right in the middle of all the complaints here of lost players (and Duncan's failure to even respond about their status). Getting swamped amidst personal crisis is bad enough, but taking on more work knowing it would never be done? Maybe he just went off the deep end? Then there were suspicious posts here, and on other bbb type sites, by a "woman" and new member (a real red flag on anything LD related - sadly a boy's club) raving about getting their S2 or such back fixed from Duncan around that time - probable shill or who knows by that point?

Posted: 11 Nov 2021, 21:54 

It really is an amazing film, gotta love the tribute to genre like Hong Kong cinema and the wonderful practical effects shots.

Here's the theme song MTV style video by Carpenter's very own band. Gotta love stuff like Nick Castle, Michael Myers himself and director of another favorite The Last Starfighter , jamming out with Carpenter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqPJMIctqFU
Page 2 of 2 [ Search found 32 matches ]