It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 10 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 25 Apr 2019, 18:14 

My CLD-D925 just had the same problem - H2 error when it was cold and shutting off immediately after power up. When getting warmer, it managed to stay on. Turned out the C208 (1000uF/10V) was dying and drawing the -5V down to -2.5...-3.5V (temperature dependent). No visible problem with this capacitor, but with heat gun and ice spray the problem could be quickly tracked down to the C208. After substituting C208 with a new 1000uF everything works fine again, power at -5.1V as it should.

Posted: 27 Feb 2020, 23:21 

Just for the improvement of all of us, could you add a few details about how you used the heat gun and ice spray to identify the culprit capacitor?

I saw that the H2 error occured mostly when switching the player on from cold state. After some time, the player started working again. That was correlated to the -5V supply being between -2.5V (cold) and -3.5V (warm). The -3.5V are obviously enough to make the player working, although it should be -5V. So I warmed the power supply board up, turned the player on and measured the -5V power while cooling certain areas of the power supply board down with ice spray. When targeting the right component, I could see the voltage dropping down to -2.5V instanteneously. Warming it up brought it immediately back to -3.5V. After a few iterations, it was clear which capacitor was the culprit. After substituting it, I got a clean -5V again.

Posted: 09 May 2020, 05:26 

Sent jesuslovesgood a warning in private.

Haven't heard from him, no email, post or PM (although he did read my warning).
Last visited: 3 May 20, 10:57am

Seems like courtesy and responsibility were not part of his skill set.
We don't want people like this around.

I'll remove the last offensive post from this topic.

Julien

Posted: 27 May 2020, 16:26 

LOL... not that young, just lots of time and still have energy (thank goodness for that!).. I'm in the middle of doing a massive cloud migration for my company from on-prem Exchange to O365 and sitting here all day in front of a screen is boring the hell outta me!

Just ordered the parts from Digi-Key!! $7 total and will be here by the weekend so we'll have a cool project to test!

Or a D503 to repair :shock:

Posted: 29 Jul 2020, 09:29 

FACTORY RECORDS (Wikipedia)

Influential UK label from the 80's till mid-90's with a habit of giving catalog numbers to many, many things!

https://www.lddb.com/search.php?adv_search=*&adv_reference=&collection=68

Right now only 10 but I might have missed a few:

PVLM-6 Happy Mondays: Madchester Rave On
FACDV 73R New Order: Blue Monday (1988)
78C58-6098 New Order: Pumped Full of Drugs (1985)
TELP-42036 New Order: Substance
POLD-1011 New Order: The Best of: They're afraid of what they see... (1994)
LVD 9510 New Order: The New Order Story
POLD-1007~8 New Order: The New Order Story (1993)
FACDV 183 New Order: True Faith (1987)
COLY-3005 The Durutti Column: Domo Arigato - Live in Japan (1985)
FACDV 194 The Durutti Column: When The World (1987)

Some nice covers pics over here: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=191

Julien

Post subject: Re: Subtitles help
Posted: 19 Jan 2021, 23:08 

I think even modern TVs sold in Europe have Teletext decoders in them, though I haven't bought a TV in a while (I still haven't gone 4K!) so I could be wrong. To use teletext subtitles, press the "text" button on the remote (if you don't have a text button on your remote, hit the subtitle button and select teletext). If you just see a mostly black screen with coloured bars at the bottom and a few numbers dotted about it's almost certain that the disc doesn't have teletext. If you do see an index screen, you would then type the page number for the subtitles - traditionally in the UK the page was 888 but LaserDiscs may use different pages; for instance my Jurassic Park special edition UK boxset has teletext subtitles on page 168. However, very few PAL LaserDiscs bothered with teletext subtitles (which is a real shame; my suspicion is because unlike closed captions, Teletext requires more bandwidth than VHS has, so even though LaserDisc can carry it since they weren't bothering for VHS they didn't bother for LaserDisc either); so the majority of PAL releases contain no subtitle data at all. In theory you can get a Teletext decoder if your TV doesn't support it, but in practice I don't think there are all too many of them in existence so good luck finding one.

Here is a screenshot of the index screen:

https://tim32.org/~muzer/ld-subtitles/t_20210119_211038.jpg

And here is an example of teletext subtitles in action (note that each speaker has a different text colour; this is a common convention in areas that use Teletext subtitles. Though oddly the font size used on this disc seems to be the standard size; subtitles on TV broadcasts in the UK would typically use the double height font for extra readability so I don't quite know why they haven't done so here):

https://tim32.org/~muzer/ld-subtitles/t_20210119_211311.jpg

One nice thing about most European TVs having built-in Teletext decoders is that the TV will render the Teletext in the same place no matter what you do with the picture. So when I enable the zoom function on my TV this happens:

https://tim32.org/~muzer/ld-subtitles/t_20210119_212107.jpg

For NTSC discs, being in the UK and liking subtitles, I decided to buy a closed caption decoder. I actually was pleasantly surprised at how straightforward this was for my personal setup. I did a bit of searching on eBay and soon discovered the Contemporary Research VCC. It's a very basic closed captions decoder but it's all I really needed. The main important feature is it takes composite video in and provides composite video out (albeit with BNC connectors as often seen with professional equipment, so you'll need to have BNC to RCA adaptors). I notice there's the very similar VSCC model on eBay right now for very good prices if you want one (the only difference is in addition to the composite output the VSCC also has S-Video output; I've no idea how good its comb filter is). I wasn't really sure what to expect when I bought it but in most respects I was reasonably pleasantly surprised. I rewired my setup to go via the closed captions decoder; this also meant getting rid of the big ugly SCART cable I was previously using. At one point I connected up both at once so I could flick between the two for a side by side comparison; I could notice no difference in picture quality whatsoever going direct vs via the decoder. It also passes things like PAL signals through without alteration. However it's worth noting that when powered off it doesn't passively pass video through, so if you want it to be a permanent fixture in your system you'll need to keep it powered on all the time. It has a common barrel plug connector for DC power (12V centre positive drawing 100mA max) so you should be able to find an AC adaptor without difficulty, though I'm currently using a step-down transformer with the supplied 120V wall wart because I'm too lazy to go searching for one through my house for the right 230V power brick.

Anyway, most later American titles will have closed captions, as this was well-established in the home video world by then. Some Japanese releases have them too, but I'm not sure how prevalent this is (I don't have too many Japanese releases).

Here's a screenshot of my American copy of the Jurassic Park special edition boxset which has Closed Captions, running through my decoder:

https://tim32.org/~muzer/ld-subtitles/t_20210119_211751.jpg

You'll notice it looks like everyone is shouting. This is because for some unfathomable reason, the usual standard with closed captions is for all dialogue to be in ALL CAPS. Descriptions of non-speech sounds are in mixed case. I've no idea why they chose to do this as it makes dialogue (the main thing people are going to be reading) much more painful to read, but there you go... You'll also notice there's no nice colouring for who is speaking (this is simply because the Closed Captions standard does not support this, I believe), but on this disc at least they seem to be making an effort to position the captions appropriately.

One significant issue with using an external decoder is it doesn't always mix well with widescreen releases. Here's what I get if I zoom the picture on my TV:

https://tim32.org/~muzer/ld-subtitles/t_20210119_212343.jpg

Fortunately my TV allows me to reposition the zoomed picture. So I can shift it up a little to reveal most of the captions without putting any real picture off the screen, which is fine for titles that mostly place the captions on the bottom, but if they start getting adventurous putting them on both the bottom and top there's no way I can see all the captions besides zooming back out. Anyway the shifted picture looks like this:

https://tim32.org/~muzer/ld-subtitles/t_20210119_212446.jpg

If you use a widescreen TV but it doesn't let you shift the picture in zoom mode, then you might want to consider trying to find a closed captions decoder that lets you adjust the drawable area (good luck with that, I don't know if such a thing exists!)

As for LD-G, I'm afraid that I know very little. I don't have too many Japanese releases and even fewer have LD-G so for me it just isn't worth the cost of a decoder right now.

Posted: 08 Aug 2021, 04:16 

It is not uncommon for motors to completely detach from a pickup after the M-Holder shatters. Using very high-gauge wire and a very small amount of solder, it is possible to jump the leads as seen in the attached image. I hope this helps someone :thumbup:.

Post subject: Re: UHQCD???
Posted: 04 May 2022, 06:11 

Wow, there's a whole world of optical media snake oil that I was just unaware of.

Not forgetting MQA and audiophile USB cables that give a forward-thinking, yet relaxed and interpersonal soundstage with just the merest suggestion of acoustical bichon frize avec le salle de bain betwixt an enlightening mood serum of unmatched audio performance. Bonnet de douche! :thumbup:

Posted: 02 Sep 2022, 19:10 

Just thought I'd mention, I recently upgraded my TV to a Sony A95K. It has a composite video input (albeit behind an irritating 3.5mm jack plug that I had to find the right adaptor for) and will decode teletext — confirmed with my PAL Jurassic Park release. It also allows for repositioning the image so I can use it with my closed captions decoder, but obviously it was too much to ask for the TV to be able to decode closed captions natively!

Posted: 07 Sep 2022, 11:57 

nextwednesday wrote:
(...) so an external decoder would be nice.

So far I've seen a NEC model for Europe New Zealand (and Australia): NEC TX-101NZ

Other Japanese models designed for Japan probably only process TELETEXT over NTSC?

https://www.lddb.com/device/caption

Julien
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 10 matches ]