It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 08:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 70 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 05 Aug 2017, 09:06 

So it's not only Input 12, its 11 & 12, but it's exactly the behavior I'm noticing as well.

Lumagen has been informed but they logged it as a low priority bug, and I agree it's not going to stop you from using anything and it's on the analog inputs that probably not many people are using anymore ( Input 12 = HLD-X9 here).

Julien

It's both the fixed composite inputs (11, 12); the component/switchable inputs (9, 10) are fine. Agreed it's not really much of an issue; I was just trying to set up the on-screen input menu with simple labeling for some extra ease of use for the other half!

Using both the 11 & 12 for LD input here; 9 & 10 for Muse decoder input.

Posted: 06 Sep 2017, 15:23 

For anyone who has found this thread and is looking for an easy way of running SubStation Alpha on 64-bit Windows systems, have a look at these links:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/339251-SUB-STATION-ALPHA-4-08-For-64-Bits-Systems
https://www.videohelp.com/software/Sub-Station-Alpha

Posted: 29 Oct 2017, 03:48 

Still have only a 100VA transformer which was purchased way back when I got my first 100V player. It runs an LD player, two Muse decoders and surround processor fine. If I try to run a second player only then does it get a little warm; so I don't do that.

So you should be fine with 300W for your needs (for the purposes of rating a transformer VA/W are basically the same - I think VA is more correct; it's a technical thing to do with resistive vs non-resistive loads). I do plan to upgrade, so in my case will jump right up to 1000VA so then on that overkill I can then run multiple players without issue or worry! Easiest way to check is to add the power ratings of the equipment you're using and allow a little headroom too.

Also what I'm using is a fairly good quality one; a toroidal isolation transformer from Tortech here in Australia. I think a lot of the cheaper ones might be autotransformers? https://www.gstransformers.com/technical/difference-between-isolation-transformers-and-autotransformers.html Personally after spending the money on equipment I'd rather invest the bit extra in the transformer for a cleaner/safer supply and peace of mind.

Posted: 17 Jan 2018, 15:10 

Hi Julien,

Great Idea! Sent a word doc via the site 'webmaster' email with track changes/comments for a few suggestions after some initial read-throughs.

Hope you find at least some of them useful!

Posted: 16 Feb 2018, 12:05 

Sorry ruinatokyo, both you and van-dammage have the generic avatar and I was in a rush to get to work this morning and due to not looking carefully enough thought it was you responding to say you use the d-ext!!

Still it may be useful to remove the Lumagen from the chain and see how that looks. At least then that should help determine if the effect you see is coming in at the TV stage or Lumagen stage.

Posted: 16 Mar 2018, 20:56 

I can kind of barely be bothered but best friends sometimes describe me as a khunt :-) so here we go! All things being equal (or even somewhat unequal) BD PQ s**ts on LD. The bigger the screen the more noticeable it gets; simple really. We love and collect LD for other reasons. The length of your post doesn't excuse the inability to figure that all out. Neither do we all necessarily need to jump up and defend our personal reasons.

Your whole post while seeming genuineish also basically tends to read as comment bait; kind of more so than a genuine enquiry. Sorry if it's not meant to be but it does. This isn't Facebook (thankfully). "Not to mention that I dropped about $400 on Laserdisc equipment when this could go much further with a more modern format. This makes me scratch my head a bit, wondering if I am going too far."

LOL I've blown way much more money on outdated irrelevant formats. Can''t work it out? (despite saying how you love LD)? Oh poor dear, just get/wait for the 4K HDR release (or perhaps some counselling as needed???).

Sorry for sounding somewhat harsh, but if you don''t have your reasons for collecting LD then why are you? and if you need our validation to do it.........

Posted: 07 Apr 2018, 00:42 

pick it up in person.
If that's just not possible then insist they ship it as you specify; including double boxing. Ask before purchasing and save yourself some hassle - don't buy it if they won't. I've gone so far as to supply the proxy bidder in Japan with an annotated diagram of how to pack it - multiple players shipped from Japan with 100% success rate.
On the other hand my first attempt via an ebay seller - one layer of bubble wrap and then basically wrapped in cardboard. On top of that the shipping label was actually attached to the bottom side so it travelled upside down. No prizes for guessing how that arrived. You really just have to wonder how stupid some people are thinking that kind of packing is adequate.
I'm thinking probably more players are destroyed these days by bad shipping than we lose by natural attrition.

Posted: 18 May 2018, 09:56 

Joyeux anniversaire Julien :clap:

J'espère que vous trouverez bientôt votre copie de "Crimson Rivers" :D

(Apologies for any bad google-French!)

Posted: 19 May 2018, 18:46 

It has a karaoke function - make sure this is turned off!

Posted: 19 May 2018, 19:05 

:lol:

Many years ago I used to work in Hi-Fi shops selling players, some of which had the voice cancellation mode for doing karaoke with normal music LD's and CD's. Your 'problem' sounded just like that and a quick check of the manual confirmed this player has the feature.

You can get the whole instruction manual here http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-D504/CLD-D504-EN_Scan.pdf

Post subject: Re: Lumagen Processors
Posted: 07 Jun 2018, 13:47 

Substance has made some very informative posts about this exact thing.

In short the 2124/2144 & old HDQ have the best comb filters. Try searching for his posts (Sorry but I'm not doing it for you :) )

Posted: 04 Aug 2018, 23:00 

lol and now I just stumbled into Julien's original post about it!

The 2 biggest threads were split per year

Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 10:59 

I was just watching TNG on LD earlier today and now I literally just read this!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-05/patrick-stewart-to-return-as-captain-picard-in-new-star-trek/10075280

Posted: 05 Aug 2018, 12:08 

The announcement:

Posted: 08 Aug 2018, 17:33 

@Rein-o: Yes, when watching discs. Tried several ones and it happens on both CLV and CAV titles. Weird because on the blue screen (idle screen), it doesn't show anything like that. Only the vertical ones as shown above. But when you play a movie, you get these weird zigzag pattern. It's like interference, but again, not sure what's causing it as my other four players don't have issue.

Kind of sounds like you have two separate issues going on. But I'm no expert on repair/diagnosis.

Posted: 25 Oct 2018, 03:13 

Hi mimy,

To get the best fit of the incoming image to the screen you should use the 'Crop TopLeft' and 'Crop BotRight' controls.

I only use the 'Vert Shift" to shift the image with scope material (2.35:1, 2.2:1 etc) to the bottom of 16:9 projector screen. This just works better for me as the screen is relatively high and the image is in a better position for viewing and in relation to the front speakers that way. It just looks better too having a single wider blank bar at the top rather than narrower ones top and bottom, in which case I find the bottom one distracting when viewing. It looks better too having the image framed by the screens black borders on the bottom as well as the sides (I'm not fancy enough to have a screen with blanking panels!)

This also has the added bonus of screening out the Japanese subtitles (which I don't need) on those discs.

If the Crop settings are correct I'm not sure why you'd even want/need to shift the image horizontally.

Posted: 25 Apr 2019, 14:30 

I'm using custom press dies that I fabricated myself. I'm working on DEB1169 and VEB1008 now. I realize pacparts still has DEB1169, but who knows for how much longer, and who knows how long the rubber on the old stock parts will stay grippy.
Thanks fireproof710,

Efforts like this are realistically the only way we're all going to keep our players running well into the future.

Now what we need is for some folks with the appropriate electronic engineering knowledge to work out how to replace the laser diodes in pickups. NOS laser pickups are mostly unavailable or stupidly expensive - rebuilding them is most likely going to become the only option.

Posted: 26 May 2019, 08:53 

forper wrote:
What are some of the symptoms of overpowering speakers?

Smoke.

Posted: 26 Jun 2019, 11:30 

So before the current kerfuffle there was this:
Favourites are First Contact and Undiscovered Country.

Khan is also great and Khan/Spock/Voyage make a nice sort of trilogy.

Based on your recommendation I pulled out my LD of Star Trek VI yesterday. Never seen it before.

Are you kidding me? You prefer this courtroom procedural that's more like an episode of Murder She Wrote than the epicness of terraforming a whole world, The original Enterprise going down, Spock DYING and coming back to life, Kirk's son dying, meeting God in TMP and time travel in IV?? Huhhhhhhh?????

:thumbdown:

Then soon after this:

I liked Enterprise a lot more than some people.

Glad you said it. Very often underrated imho. Following on from Voyager just showed up so much of that show as quite tired and ordinary. When it was cancelled at Season 4 and they let loose on some pent up storylines it was just so great.

I don’t like DS9 because it’s all about race wars and fighting and crap making it closer to Tolkien than Heinlein IMHO. It needed less NFL and more MIT.
I get that. But the show was al about doing something different as there was the TNG overlap. Star Trek still needed conflict even if not from the main characters; so if from a whole different race from a different sector of the galaxy? The Dominion were the new Klingons?

Have to say that of all the ST shows DS9 had the most fabulous group of regular character actors performing; Gul Dukat, Quark, Garak, Weyoun/Brunt, Grand Negus and many others I failed to mention; though Jeffrey Combs, Marc Alaimo and Andrew Robinson are some personal favourites.

Yeah but you thought Undiscovered Country was better than the first 4 films so all this opinion above, is invalid.

These "conversations" follow a familiar and tired pattern. Best not to take the bait in the first place and give it the attention it deserves.

Posted: 12 Jul 2019, 17:49 

And if you're going to do it don't buy off ebay, probably largely fakes or old stock. Get good quality Japanese caps from a reputable supplier like Digikey or Mouser.

But why am I offering advice? Last time people here suggested to adjust the RF level you twiddled every pot in sight, then blamed us all for messing up the player; and still bring it up from time to time lol.

Posted: 17 Jul 2019, 17:28 

signofzeta wrote:
(Aka: diagnosis)

Oh so true.
Personally I hate how much researching the issue you have and figuring it out has been lost to the "insta" generation.

Posted: 07 Aug 2019, 16:28 

Just like paying no sales tax here, it always puts a smile on my face to watch an older LD pressing and see that there is no rot or any issues after owning them for 15+ years and the discs being over 25+yr
Not to mention the PQ of so many older releases meeting, if not exceeding some rather expensive late releases...

Post subject: Re: Value of Laserdisks
Posted: 21 Aug 2019, 11:03 

Easy to answer why nobody is buying it, it was released in 1990 just 9 years too early for the collectard fools. :yawn:
I think it's more likely not a lot of people want to spend 1.5 grand on an anime they can't understand...
Not to mention that even if I really wanted it there's been multiple opportunities over the last few years to get it significantly cheaper than that directly from Japan.

Which seems really ironic when here we are flaming this guy (for whom English is a second language) on the assumption that by valuable he only means monetary value....

I like collecting, collecting good things, things those important. I like filling small space in my home with valuable things. Please no misunderstanding and prejudice. Thank you.
Maybe I'm totally wrong; and maybe he is just collecting for collectings sake, but could we just believe for a moment that using words like 'good' and 'important' things he might mean beyond purely monetary value (though the two do tend to coincide) and actually be a little welcoming to a new poster instead of appearing to just cut them down and end up driving them away???

At least someone thought to point him in the direction of the "Ultimate list of Laserdisc titles that are significant" thread.

Posted: 01 Sep 2019, 18:14 

I will watch anything with Arnie in it.
Yeah I have a soft spot for him too - despite the expected cynicism of "bodybuilder turned actor" he pulls it off in so many movies from Terminator to Kindergarten Cop to True Lies that it's not just a fluke. Full stop.

I have one of these blanks. I bought it from a guy who used to work for Philips. I believe you can record on one side only and one time so they are ld-r with 30 mins of recording. I might be wrong.

As signo said this has come up several times in the past 10 years or so and the closest we got to recording a new ld was cararte’s “lds are coming back soon, i am talking to a factory already “ a few years back lmao
Determination is one thing; but reality is a b**ch!!

Posted: 08 Sep 2019, 01:25 

rein-o wrote:
While I use google all the time, I do hope new people will start using them when asking about which belt or remote goes with which players.

....or what a demodulator is etc etc. Plenty of lazy people asking stupid questions in this world.
Page 1 of 3 [ Search found 70 matches ]