Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 17:22 

lol

Attachment:
rlv discs censored.jpg

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 20:17 

rein-o wrote:
Yeah, good luck with that one.
If you ask 300 per roll of TP you can at least use it while waiting for that special person.

Don't admonish too much; the special person might pick up that astro-boy box set as well.....

Posted: 14 Sep 2019, 17:45 

Had to google what doxxing is "search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet,"

Anything I posted/reposted was all already publicly available, and the screenshot from FB above has the name blurred out.

Sorry, though don't take it so hard, rein-o gets some grief over prices above too! And $269 is more than I'd pay for that box set, never mind the $350 on it; paid around $30 plus shipping for the three box version. There is definitely some crazy overpricing that goes on in the shops here; just think $ugu$

Posted: 25 Sep 2019, 13:45 

skinny wrote:
I don't see any extra value in this. I'd rather suggest an optional 'Make Offer' button like on ebay.

It already exists and it's called "Best Offer" here.

Posted: 25 Sep 2019, 13:49 

As I see it if a disc has been sitting in your shop forever then either there's no interest or it's overpriced.

All this represents is some additional information helping consumers make more informed choices.

The only reason I see sellers objecting to this is they have too many items in the latter category.

Posted: 25 Sep 2019, 16:14 

cykomf wrote:
P.S. A counter offer option would be nice to enable actual negotiations.

Again, yes that is available already.

Posted: 25 Sep 2019, 19:55 

The HLD-X9 has no inbuilt CC (no LD player does?) or LD-G.

If you bought it expecting otherwise... There's this thing called 'research'... Seems mostly no-one does/gets it these days...

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Posted: 03 Oct 2019, 17:01 

I've seen some posts elsewhere along the lines that some of the film elements are now in such poor condition that it will probably never be released as the "full" version again. It must be those cut scenes added back into the LD (and some VHS?) releases they're talking about.

Funny you should post about this now, I also have the Japanese version on the way. Very little extra appeal to having AC3 on a film like this; even more so at the prices that version seems to go for.

Posted: 10 Oct 2019, 00:59 

And don't get me wrong; CRT's are great for LD, but not necessarily going to automatically give you the best result. Admittedly that statement's a bit of a button-pusher for me because usually it's some numpty trying to tell us a CRT is "the only way to do it right". (You're no numpty rein-o!)

Posted: 13 Oct 2019, 16:57 

Room? Always room if you want to make it...

Posted: 07 Nov 2019, 18:58 

The OP (and most subsequent posts) are referring to the type of original film source material and not whatever video tape intermediary?

I'm sure around 99.999% of the time for OAR releases we could (or not as the case) spot print cue marks to determine this, less so P&S and any other alternate AR releases made from prints.

Otherwise many of the proposed categories get so specific it would seem impossible to be anyway accurate on currently existing information, so that attempting to include it would only potentially diminish the accuracy and thus standing of the database in a major way.

Post subject: Re: MUSE Decoder....
Posted: 13 Nov 2019, 14:25 

As I understand it the NHK Muse broadcast channel was fairly popular in Japan, with regular broadcasts commencing in the early 90's (the earliest test broadcasts in the late 80's) and continuing until November 2007.

Many people also had so called M-N decoders which produced a 60Hz (not 59.94) NTSC output from the Muse channel/signal. This apparently still gave noticeable PQ improvement over the normal broadcast NTSC.

The last of a quite limited number of Muse LD titles was released in 1997 so Muse on LD really was niche within niche stuff.

Post subject: Re: Gen-lock help please
Posted: 09 Dec 2019, 09:45 

I know how much you love anything Sony; but it does seem this needs an external sync for the genlock function to work.

Also looking at the connection diagram I'm thinking this is only genlocking the computer video signal but that the device isn't actually capable of keying/overlay - in the scenario shown that would be done by the editing switcher.

There are some tried & tested boxes from TV One: the 1T-C2-150 and CS-450 (also branded 'Coriogen Eclipse' I believe). I have both and can confirm they both do the job.

Posted: 10 Dec 2019, 22:38 

Just ordered a TVOne CS-450 through ebay and shipitto forwarding for US$199..
That seems reasonable, after passing on a few more expensive ones I paid US$180 (including shipping) a couple of years ago, though thankfully exchange rates were better then. As with many things coming to Australia from the US the shipping was pretty ridiculous for such a small and light item.

Paid less for the 1T-C2-150 and though you could say it's more advanced I believe if your only purpose is subtitling the CS-450 is the better option and it did seem more in demand/expensive at the time I was looking.

Posted: 11 Dec 2019, 15:55 

Mine had the PSU so bonus - actually iirc it was a US115V, but ran off 100V fine (so much Japanese gear here!!). Actually I got it after the 1T-C2-150 as wasn't quite happy with that, tested it out and happy with the result but like many projects around here it's sat on the back-burner for a while. Who knows with 4 weeks off over x-mas? (Though you'll like that besides family visiting from Melbourne the priority will be trying to get one of multiple non-functional HIL-C2EX up and running!)

Now hope you were paying attention to the video you linked that it needs a VGA input. Bit of a rarity these-days, both laptops in this house have HDMI out only. Picked up a dirt-cheap HDMI-VGA converter off e-bay. Result was subtitles looking a little on the soft side but with CS-450 the actual image was like a pure pass-through with virtually no degradation, so to me an improvement over the 1T-C2-150.

Posted: 17 Dec 2019, 17:27 

Only those with personal experience:

1) UHD BD: Well; have the player but atm seeing anything 4K down-scaled and non-HDR. Atmos/DTS:X/Auro but in the current room no hope of realising these so just not interested. Only beats BD since it has to be better right???

2) BD: Finally we get what was promised as a replacement for LD. Releases often compromised by excessive DNR (and multiple titles highlighted with colour timing issues) but when done right this format can really shine.

3) MUSE/Hi-Vision LD: Love this early HD analoguey/digitalish technology. Lots of potential but mostly a victim of that transition period from analogue to digital. Possibly the first discrete multi-channel audio home video format?

4) LaserDisc: No explanation needed. Better PQ (but not sound) may be found below, but it's just not the same.

5) W-VHS: Ok so sneaking this one in due to my appreciation of early analogue HD. Only two official pre-recorded releases I'm aware of other than the "Captain" releases discussed here: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2653&view=next BTW if you have any of those Captain tapes I'm interested. Limited bandwidth for analogue HD so perhaps better thought of as ED? Potential for better PQ than DVD (though with analogue noise) but not as good as MUSE LD (well realistically in those reduced resolution slow panning shots more so the same). Again a victim of the quick transition from analogue to digital HD with only 2 consumer models before D-VHS replaced it. Excellent VHS Hi-Fi sound (with the assistance of metal tape).

6) DVD: Cheap, easy. no side flips, massive catalogue. in many respects perhaps the ultimate home format so far?? I used to work in a Hi-Fi shop. The number of times I heard of LD "When they can fit that on a CD I'll buy it" - no surprise to me how quickly DVD killed both VHS and LD. Still it always seemed like a somewhat inadequate successor to LD (not so much to VHS). Very often sh!tty sound codecs for music videos.

7) VHS/Beta: Just lumping them together because unlike the above don't use them any more and can't be bothered with 'that' argument very much. With my own eyes, in the PAL market Beta definitely had the edge over VHS but it seems that was lesser for NTSC (especially on run time) and even then for PAL narrowed over time.

8) VCD: I saw a few VCD's. They were sh!t; and that's being nice....

Just got my first VHD player a couple of weeks ago. Basically only for the sake of checking out the earliest home format with "true" 3D - first disc yet to arrive so no ranking!

Posted: 30 Dec 2019, 13:47 

Good to hear you got it all up and running ok

Post subject: Re: My MUSE LD collection
Posted: 05 Jan 2020, 01:52 

I read threads like this and end up thinking there's a couple who remind me of these two!!!
Attachment:
statler and waldorf.jpg

Posted: 19 Feb 2020, 16:06 

There are a lot of variables depending on the equipment you're using. so test it on a case by case basis and decide.
LD is by nature composite, but player post processing can complicate the issue.......

Posted: 23 Feb 2020, 17:04 

So can anyone answer this question? What's the best cable to use from my Sony MDP-650 to my DVDO-VP50 (which then outputs RGBHV to my CRT, a CRT that has perhaps the best comb filter ever made by man?)?

So from the 650 to the VP50, should I use composite or S-video?
Well if you want to use that fancy comb filter in the CRT then it has to be composite straight to the TV. Composite to DVDO you're using the comb filter in the DVDO, s-video to DVDO you're using the comb filter in the player.

Frankly I'm kind of disappointed (but not surprised) a thread like this still even exists where people haven't done some basic research and worked it out for themselves......

Posted: 25 Feb 2020, 13:54 

Well I thought I knew, "always use composite" because LD video is composite. But then some here started saying Svideo was better and I got confused so wanted to confirm.

I just want the maximum picture information passed from the player and that's not necessarily easily perceptable in a comparison, on some discs you might think Svideo looks better but you actually might not be getting as much information as with composite.

Using the DVDO is non negotiable for me, there are so many widescreen titles I have that need overscan/underscan to set up the picture right. Then again I might consider straight composite to the TV for 4:3 content.

When I say the TV has the best comb filter, I don't really know if thats the right term, it has something called super hi fine pitch mode and provides a superlative picture. I'm not sure the source has to be through composite to take advantage of this. Can't pictures pass through 2 or more comb filters? Can't it be like audio were you can run through multiple DACs to "clean up" the sound?

I get your need for zooming etc with the DVDO; I certainly couldn't live without a video processor. Some Sony models do have a reputation for excellent comb filters, you could try searching on the model number here and more broadly to see if it might be one of them? LD players have multiple outputs so you could probably fairly easily hook it up all three ways and do some comparisons with several favourite discs you're familiar with. Also a good idea to adjust all three paths properly using something like video essentials so you're comparing "apples with apples" not different settings for colour etc coming into play.

Posted: 18 Jul 2020, 21:56 

Laser/Disc Rot has to be absolutely the worst most overstated issue with LaserDisc Evah!

(Never-mind when it's not even rot but just some kind of manufacturing defect.)

Outside of a few limited manufacturers it's no more of an issue than for CD or DVD etc. But still, people you think might know better carry on like ignorant idiots that every disc on your shelf is a ticking time-bomb about to go off anytime soon (this one really makes me laugh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiYAP3nAUXo&fbclid=IwAR0yRB66zyPteHhoaw2wnyqtrnFeXmLbLjy3vBzq7wyfOrcCiY64zz2_j-c ). The truth is >99.9% of the LD's in your collection will easily outlast you, most likely your grandchildren's grandchildren too.

But please spread the "it's rotting to sh!t" mantra as much as you like because we need to discourage all these 'Johnny come latelys' jacking up prices on discs and hardware as much as we can!!!

Posted: 29 Jul 2020, 18:16 

..the NEC comb filter in the R7G is arguably the newest and most advanced in any LD player

I'll substitute arguably with definitely and only the H9 shares it (in an overall lower video noise design). About the only ways to beat this comb filter might be with the Texas Instruments TVP 5160 as in the Crystalio II or Lumagen HDQ (though this is an old design now itself) or definitely with the Analogue Devices 3D comb filter as per the Lumagen 2144 or DVDO Duo (ADV7800) or other of their chips like the ADV7842, in favour with many LD fans for it's current availability on an evaluation board.

Posted: 31 Jul 2020, 16:48 

I was interested in getting one of these to play with. I did a quick search but didnt come up with anything. Do you know what websites are selling these eval boards in the uk?
Digikey, they have an "Australian website" in AUD but the board still shipped from the US; not sure if they hold any local stock at all. Called their support number and ended up talking to someone in the US. Possibly the same situation for the UK?
Page 2 of 3 [ Search found 70 matches ]