It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 70 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 12 Aug 2020, 16:05 

ertoili wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: ....think i was waiting for a "good" surprise.
Only 4 euros but yes.. dont do it

Still no offence, but it was a waste of even 4 euros!!!

Posted: 26 Aug 2020, 17:20 

Think in terms of 'real-estate' on the disc.

With CAV one rotation is one frame from beginning to end (hence the very visible two blanking intervals - two fields = one frame).

Now that means at the beginning of the disc for CAV, with my old primary school ruler and some simple maths one rotation is approx. 36cm (sorry 14.2" for the Neanderthals), though at the outside it's more like 93cm (36.5"). So it's pretty obvious that if by the outside of the disc you occupied the same linear space for one frame as you did on the inside you could fit almost three frames.

Probably the only thing initially holding this back in the early days was control and mechanisms to accurately slow the disc as it was read outwards so that other problems weren't introduced.

True CLV does just that; continually slows the disc as it reads outwards, however most 'CLV' discs are in fact CAA which does not continuously slow the disc as it plays but does it in multiple steps of fixed speed, avoiding so many crosstalk issues.

So CLV/CAA is more susceptible to crosstalk. While taking almost three times the space to record a single frame by the end, CAV can provide a better picture quality (better S/N ratio for example); but bearing in mind these differences only become more apparent as you head out towards the end of the disc.

How many times did you change your movie from end of side 2 (almost always CLV) to beginning of side 3 (almost always CAV) and notice no difference? That should be a good test. Alternately how often do you notice an improvement between the beginning and end of a CAV disc, or conversely a decline between beginning and end of a CLV? Maybe if you spent a lot of time comparing those and/or equivalent CAV/CLV issues at 29min onwards (outer CAV edge and theoretically best PQ) you might start to see more?

For me the convenience of CLV overrides any minimal difference in PQ any day. Not that I don't have a few CAV box-sets just because they're cool & the special features; but pretty much always if given the option of one or the other I'll choose the CLV.

Posted: 26 Aug 2020, 17:47 

I love so much some of the common sense shown here.

Of course if this was some FB group a few thoughtless people would (and probably already did) reveal their wants to a tonne of idiots who never heard of it before, but now will be competing with them.....

Posted: 07 Sep 2020, 14:10 

Attachment:
IMG_5022 red.jpg

Now; just how to get the M. J. Fox?

Posted: 23 Sep 2020, 13:59 

Those responsible for the Domesday Duplicator and associated decoding software Discotek are using should be seeing royalties off this.......

Post subject: Re: My new LD player!
Posted: 07 Oct 2020, 18:16 

Yup iirc the X0 is an NEC comb filter, but older than the R7G/H9 (not seen an X0 in action though).

The X9/S9 has a Mitsubishi comb filter which I personally hate. The checker-boarding on some motion is just awful.

Thankfully the recombined composite out of the X9 suffers no loss in quality; so pair it with a better external comb filter and all is good. Can't say quite the same for the RG7/H9/S9 - no matter how slight; the composite out just didn't look quite as sharp/detailed (even after fed through a superior external comb filter) in some aspects. Maybe my memory is bad (did all these comparisons several years ago) but all more modern players (probably all/most with an s-video out) feature a recombined composite out. Some do that transparently; some apparently don't.

The NEC filter in the R7G/H9 is great, and fully recommend hooking it up s-video.

Posted: 21 Oct 2020, 18:57 

teddanson wrote:
Steady on there.

Exactly my thought on the bin comment!!!

We're allowed something of a sense of humour right?

Posted: 23 Oct 2020, 18:22 

I can confirm that the player does indeed work hooked up direct to US mains!
Well of course it does.

The question is are you over supplying it? (Which may very well shorten the life of the power supply section if nothing else.)

Seems the R7G has a PS rated to cope with US voltages and probably so does this, but if you can't be bothered to actually undo some screws to remove the cover and double check the PS why should I be bothered to pull it out of the cabinet and open it to check for you? Living in a 240V country this is a no-brainer in terms of choosing the right step-down transformer.

Did your friend actually look inside or should they perhaps stick to changing (/wiring up) light bulbs?

Posted: 23 Dec 2020, 17:22 

There are a lot of guys, usually younger European engineers who think like you. Whatever VW or Mercedes makes is the thing we are supposed to respect. If Honda makes a car with half the tech for half the price that lasts twice as long then that is not to be respected, but rather mocked. Honda were caveman cowards when they dared sell such a low tech car. We should all be buying these cars and when they blow engines or need $1200 for a 40k maintenance we’re all supposed to pay it for the betterment of society. It’s an ideology,
wow this au caveman has a different perspective where the Europeans and Japanese/SE Asian make the best cars and outside of Tesla Americans just produce vehicles for gas guzzling idiots.

The stereotype is no worse than yours.

Post subject: Re: Lumagen HDQ -> 2123?
Posted: 11 Feb 2021, 22:04 

Yes Duo has significantly better deinterlacing than HDQ. Set the output to 480p so scaling is in Radiance. Check with the manuals but any Radiance should be able to adjust its output timing. CMS is needed if you pro calibration meters and calibration software. It is partially science and partially an art. So if you aren’t familiar with the process, you should hire a proven professional which can cost $1000+ for a projector. I would probably stay away from the Marquee.
Duo also has same ADV comb filter as the 2144.

Posted: 01 Mar 2021, 11:07 

Duo or Edge, whichever comes first at the right price, in fact the Edge has the same comb filter as the Lumagen Radiance 2144 and it doesn’t really get any better than that, can anyone confirm that the Duo is definitely fitted with this also?
It definitely does. Afaik the Duo was the model up on the Edge.

Post subject: Re: Extracting laserdiscs?
Posted: 23 Jun 2021, 16:35 

I have a handful of rotted disks with no valve otherwise, If I recall right there is a aluminum platter encased inside the disk. Has anyone tried to remove the platter inside of a dead disk? I can't think of a way to do this without making a mess or using harsh chemicals extracting laserdiscs?
I know your all thinking, why? Just something to mess around with and to pass the time.
The micro-thin aluminium layer is exactly what deteriorated in the first place with a 'rotted' disc. Sure - pull the disc apart and learn something about their construction - but don't expect you're saving anything.......

Post subject: Re: Pioneer HM-D101
Posted: 28 Oct 2021, 11:59 

Emphasis on lightly; I don't recall it being a chalk and cheese thing!

Posted: 09 Nov 2021, 11:15 

Which and Why?

Which? I'd have to say 'The Fifth Element'

Why? Such a great story with a near perfect blending of so many elements of sci-fi and drama and comedy, acted by such amazing people in these roles, will call out Gary Oldman specifically (some personal bias) but they all excel in this piece.

And; if you avoid the DADC pressing. one of the very best PQ ever realised on LD.

Post subject: Re: Laser Rot
Posted: 09 Nov 2021, 15:29 

I think that discs from Discovision are prone to Laser Rot. i saw a lot of videos from Discovision Laserdisc Openings on Youtube and many of them show signs of Rot.
Rot or inclusions?
Obviously; by definition, rot gets worse over time.
Many people far more experienced than me with DiscoVision will point out a large majority of the issues are manufacturing defects (non clean-room environments) that have affected the disc as much then as now.

As usual, while a percentage of LD collectors seem to panic to get their totally non-unique video on a digital capture (again to state the obvious something like Domesday is an absolute exception, with few others); you will be long, long, did I say, long dead, before your disc is no good due to rot. Chances are your grandchildren and who knows how many other generations will be dead too. The whole point of my collection is to put it in an LD player to watch it.

Posted: 12 Nov 2021, 15:38 

Coincidently just received a package during the week with this in it!
You're not the first to recommend it - don't recall that I've ever actually seen it so looking forward to that.

Posted: 14 Nov 2021, 14:21 

pobodys_nerfect wrote:
Way too Euro

What does that even mean forper?

Posted: 08 Mar 2022, 16:35 

My only point is there is a whole new world of LD people out there pushing the boundaries of repair and modern system integration but a lot of people aren't following along for whatever reason (don't like FB???). These guys go way beyond minor repairs, they are full on board level technicians that can diagnose and repair faults most never dreamed possible (rebuilding "dead" lasers for example). To me this should be interesting for LD collectors who would like their equipment to work for the long haul.....

If I wanted to buy an X0 you can bet damn well it would be from the person that can repair any fault with it (even if it was at a markup over the Yahoo Japan price). Same person that got me a perfectly calibrated HIL-C1 and MDP-999 (you want to see complicated look inside one of those) sold this X0.

Hi Peter.

I understand and agree with what you say. So do I with many of the comments here. Based on context.
Frankly I detest the so called "social-media" that FB/Meta(Crapa) gives the world. It's actually anything but.

"FB had numerous issues in searching, retention, privacy, etc. The quickly disappearing wall posting system is not working for information you want static and easier to find. (could you really find posts from 10 years ago in a FB group? Disclord posts would have probably all been deleted, etc.)"

Very wise words from Julien. It seems to me, your site's only meaningful legacy is to potentially disappear 5 minutes ago. Just go ahead nothing changed. Lots of instant gratification but nothing enduring. Trust me I've tried to find things I know I read not so long ago and it's essentially impossible......

Beyond your own experimentation you have wonderful people like "Krill DeFeo"* chipping in and sharing knowledge many LD collectors would value so incredibly highly.... Personally; I'd only be thinking about how to share this in the most enduring way I could with the LD community.

Even if you can't bring yourself to introduce your followers to a more enduring format like LDDb specifically; please just consider the knowledge wonderful people like "Krill"* bring for the benefit of the preservation of the format and that this is something worth preserving for the community well beyond our own lifetimes.

*Name changed for privacy reasons!

Posted: 10 Mar 2022, 13:01 

Lol I don't have followers.

Well wasn't thinking in the biblical sense!! Just the particular FB group I was thinking of as typing that was started by you.

I'd just really like to see some of the knowledge you're talking about recorded and preserved in a more long term way for others to be able to use in the future.

Maybe some of that has it's selfish element; I have a shelf full of non or partially functional gear that can't find time for right now sitting there waiting as future projects. If there was a requests section for the 10 or so people you're talking about I'd like stuff like "Changing and aligning C2 lasers for dummies"!
Page 3 of 3 [ Search found 70 matches ]