It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 1 match

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 16 Dec 2020, 16:04 

I’m also impartial to Air Force One but I did find that the AC-3 mix is the same as in the SuperBit (or even standard edition) DVD.
Then let me be very partial on that one as this is an example of great dynamic range through various media releases as already mentioned in another thread. Likely considered being a rather mediocre catalog title by the labels, there might have been no motivation to mangle with the audio afterwards which comes to an advantage here and so it's simply great on either LD, DVD and Blu-ray (probably even VHS at the time).

In general, the term "compression" in conjunction with lossy codecs is suboptimal and better be called "data reduction" as "compression" is also often associated with dynamic range reduction which is exactly one element which none of the usual suspects like AC3, DTS, MP1/2/3, AAC, Vorbis alter compared to their LPCM counterparts. All feature huge dynamic ranges with their floating point representation of the signal, even exceeding that of 24-Bit linear PCM audio (which due to the by far lower limits of human hearing and reproduction chain cannot be fully used anyway, but that is a topic on its own).
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 1 match ]