It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 1 match

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 14 Mar 2016, 03:28 

Gary Rydstrom himself went back to do the remix to 7.1 for the 3D re-release, and I think the studio may even have put out some marketing pieces in regards to it. I think that is the same mix that appears on all Blu-ray releases. It's certainly cleaned up, and like I said, it sounds good, but it's just wrong to my ears. The 1993 award winning mix was darn near perfect in every way and did not need a remix at all.

In theory, the LaserDisc AC3/DTS versions could sound better than the DTS-6 discs due to less compression (in the case of the DTS LaserDisc) but also the fact that cinema DTS was actually 5.0: the low frequency channel was mixed into the surrounds to conserve space and then directed inside the DTS processor. Thus, surrounds in cinema DTS only go from 80hz to 20khz. Many people said that because of this, SDDS and SRD were always going to be better. I've not always found that to be the case. So long as the CD drives were working and the time code was solid, DTS is extraordinarily reliable, at least, that was my experience among the three formats.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 1 match ]