It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 1 match

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 12 Jan 2022, 03:09 

My opinion is that the CLD-97 was the last real Elite design for the US market, meaning; the CLD-59 is a CLD-D604 that added a soft/normal/sharp picture selection; The CLD-79 has the same picture quality as the CLD-D704 but has the cheaper audio section found in the CLD-D604; The CLD-99 has the same picture quality as the CLD-D704 and the same audio circuit found in the 704, the 99 does have the 3D Adaptive filter but it is an old first generation and most TV's do a better job if you get a decent TV. The DVL-90 is a DVL-700 and the DVL-91 is a DVL-919 with option differences though the 91 did seem to re-equalize the S-Video output to make it sharper.

The LD-S1, LD-S2, CLD-95, CLD-97 all have unique power board layouts, unique video and audio board layouts, and the LD-S2 has shielding between all the boards. You cannot compare these Elite models to the non-Elite units made at the time. The McIntosh MLD-7020 changed the CLD-97 to a McIntosh case and front design and most had the precision laserdisc AC-3 RF board added for the AC-3 output, all the power, video, and audio boards are unmodified CLD-97 boards.

This is why I always suggest if you like the picture of the newer models just buy a CLD-D704, I think it is the best bang for the buck. If you prefer the smoother background and not quite as sharp then I prefer the S2 or 97, the 95 is a good choice if you use the composite signal output. The magazine "The Perfect Vision" did a test of high end players when the CLD-95 was current production and they found a chroma verses luminance timing issues and Pioneer quickly responded with the CLD-97 fixing that, but the 95 used a multibit DAC where the 97 moved to the Philips bitstream DAC but that is another discussion. The S1 is also a good unit.

Again, this is some history and preferences are just my opinion, others feel differently, get the unit you like and just enjoy it, there is no perfect player.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 1 match ]