It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 1 match

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 05 Sep 2019, 23:09 

Done.

What a handy tool this Video Essential Laserdisc is to evaluate hardware performances !

The adjustment of contrast and brightness are not the same in RGB than in composite. It's seems the black level is an hairspring lower in RGB.

The three most interesting parts on the Video Essential Laserdisc are the color bars, Snell and Wilcox test pattern and multiburst.

Please not that there is no tint adjustment to be made in RGB even with an NTSC encoded laserdisc. The blue color bars is an hint best adjusted in RGB but, between green and magenta and red and blue, there is sort of black transition line and dot crawl which become apparent with the RGB out. The yellow bar is a tad bit greenish in RGB.

As for the Snell and Wilcox test pattern, I refer to this megapixie's webpage : http://notonbluray.com/blog/comb-tb-tests/

The level of artifacts that is produced both in composite and RGB depends on the setting of the noise reduction on my TV. I choose the setting which gives the best overall performances in each mode.

In RGB, the mobile zone plate produced a bit more rainbowing artifacts than composite and two concentric circles are missing in-between the center and the two upper one compared to composite. In RGB, some rainbow become apparent in the 4 Mhz square of the frequency wedge horizontal that isn't apparent in composite. There are also slight rainbowing effects in the two first upper horizontal frequency response squares, as well as in the lower left 4.28 square ; those effects aren't noticeable in composite.

On the multiburst test, the RGB output does produce a curvature distortion in the higher end of the pattern.

Overall, the RGB output, through very much watchable with ordinary materials, appears to be markedly inferior to plain composite into my TV set.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 1 match ]