It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 09:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 183 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 15 Sep 2019, 00:22 

I'm sure someone here got the DAICON LD for Y500 or something and has it up for sale here, $500 or so.

Pokefraker, these aren't your friends, you have no one to justify yourself to here. Sell them for whatever the market will bear. Most here would actually do the same thing in your situation.

Posted: 16 Sep 2019, 10:18 

that image makes me happy. Nothin like laserdisc in action. My gears been packed up for a week and I miss it already.

Posted: 21 Sep 2019, 06:35 

The LD version is always the best version.

So, OP, you pretty much have to collect 500,000 titles, or every LD ever produced, to have the ultimate video archive of humanity's filmed output.

Post subject: Re: Recording my Purchases
Posted: 26 Sep 2019, 09:24 

Hi Julien, could the database please include a full 3D hologram of my actual laserdiscs and could it include an avatar of me and my living room where i can remotely control me putting the LD in the tray and watching it? Thanks.

Posted: 30 Sep 2019, 22:51 

Good stories Firehorse. I wish my grandfather had talked in more detail about his service.

Posted: 01 Oct 2019, 10:50 

Yep RIP Jay and all the WW2 vets

Posted: 02 Oct 2019, 02:27 

Metal Slug is the reason I got a Neo Geo

Posted: 06 Oct 2019, 01:51 

I'm at 400 or so titles but I think I'm about 150 titles off "complete". Only want to sell 2 discs.

Posted: 06 Oct 2019, 02:45 

I had the VHS of that in the day, it was one of my prized possessions. It bored the hell out of my friends but I loved it. Have that LD now too.

Post subject: Re: Finally upgraded my TV
Posted: 07 Oct 2019, 07:43 

I take it power costs are not cheap in Australia, not that they are cheap here btw!!

Well our country is blessed with effectively unlimited natural resources. We actually used to have the cheapest power in the western world, back in the '80s, it helped make Australian manufacturing competitive and we made everything. You could walk out of high school into a factory job and buy a house and a holden with no debt.

Now our country has been hijacked by activists on a lie and we're not allowed to use our resources anymore, only export them to countries that burn them in much less efficient and clean ways. Nuclears out too (we have the world's biggest reserves of uranium and the most tectonically stable land on earth) again, because of hysterical activists that dictate to our government. So anyway now we have the 2nd or 3rd most expensive power in the world and almost all the factories are gone and we make coffees for each other and rent.

We're f***ed but I'm still gonna run my CRT, not run a car or eat out, or go on holiday but I'm gonna run my goddamn power guzzling TV until I die or it dies. Eat s**t greenies.

Posted: 19 Oct 2019, 04:54 

I
Btw, the posters are being babies. Americans are cheap selfish petty people who don’t want to pay any amount of tax for anything ever. They don’t care about roads and hospitals and stuff. They want that %6 in their pocket...so they can blow it on lotto or whatever.

In Europe people pay taxes because they want the benefits they bring.

You really hate your own countrymen don't you? A few countries in Europe are actually dead broke because tax evasion is so common that almost no one ended up paying taxes.

In Asia people pay much less income tax than Americans and Australians do but almost all Asian countries are very good for infrastructure and healthcare. The problem with Western countries is it all goes on Welfare. I'm a bootstrap kinda guy, stand on your own two feet if you can, don't mooch off the government and other taxpayers.

When I see a dole bludger with smokes, booze, a car and a decent public housing unit yeah I get pissed off I'm paying so much tax for their life. Meanwhile I can't afford to smoke or run a car and half my income goes to rent. This is where a lot of people think the system is rigged. I had hard times but the stupid thing I did was keep trying, in this corrupt system I shoulda given up, whinged more and got everything for free, not having to work to boot and spend the rest of my days eating pizza, drinking beer and watching LDs, not a care in the world. I could be like one banned poster here! I could have THE LIFE, and not even have to ever again bend over to keep my crappy job.

Deadlegion, I know you're a punish success, commie kinda guy. Yep, when people actually beat the system and get ahead, tax em out of existence 'ey? Unfortunately if you do that, the people with money, their companies and the jobs they bring will all leave the country and setup some place else. In Australia they're already looking at the door with our power prices and wages.

Takeshi, that is it, I don't believe small scale selling of personal used items should be taxed either. It's bull s**t done by greedy oversized governments who just want to perpetuate their useless and bloated existence. Basically if the Australian government sees money move they want a piece of the action, they are exactly like the mafia.

Posted: 19 Oct 2019, 05:05 

Nice. Classics on the one true definitive format. The ultimate really. Living the dream in Nippon there

Posted: 10 Nov 2019, 10:54 

8-) Julien. I'm just getting unpacked from my move now, my life is totally SNAFU, last week Murphy high kicked me in the head a couple times too but then I had my boot on his neck by the end of the week. By the end of next week I should be hooking up my stuff again, opening my boxes of LDs and going crazy! Mine have been packed for almost 2 months.

Saw a double feature of Terminator/Terminator 2 at the Australian Film and Sound Archive. Terminator was an original 35mm print owned by the archive, quite damaged in places and I could hear the mellenials in the audience moaning about it "too much grain" they said. If only they knew the difference between grain and damage..

Last time I saw these woulda been mid 90s on TV. I had rented Terminator before and saw T2 at the cinema in '91.

Anyway back to back was really interesting. Turns out except for the classic chase sequences I don't really care for Terminator 2 and I'm going to take it off my LDDB wishlist. The comedy moments are too much. The bit behind the arcade where you think Arnie is going to kill the kid but he ends up saving him is only good the first time you see it, I remember it being a real surprising twist at the time.

The first film I forgot how much I love. I love it more now? So much grittier and cooler. What's the best LD to have of it I wonder..?

Posted: 11 Nov 2019, 13:32 

Forper I would go for the Japanese box of T2 with like 30min of extra footage.
There is a also a Pioneer US special edition issued as well. [PSE-82997-6WS]
CHECK IT MAN !

I believe both have same content.
The extra footage really augments the story.
One of my son's all time favorite ! (Besides his A#1 Starship Troopers ! )

Sorry, not sure if my post was clear but I was after the best version of Terminator (1984). I've lost all interest in owning T2 at all.

Posted: 25 Nov 2019, 11:03 

After a disaster renting saga I almost ended up homeless with my stuff in storage. But yesterday, in the midst of legal action and b******t at work and all kinds of s**t that's hit the fan I got my LD stuff hooked up for the first time in almost 3 months.

Yet again, like in my whole life, people and family fail and have betrayed me and my stuff saves my life.

Reminds me why I keep trying. I almost forgot, my love for stuff has always gotten me through, I truly love it more than people.

Akina Nakamori Bitter Sweet followed by many more music LDs last night. I know you will scoff at my pic but IRL I love this image so much.

https://i.postimg.cc/3W5fXWdz/DSC-2061-800x450.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/FFMhWZcX/DSC-2064-800x450.jpg

The media shelf in dissaray, I'll get it sorted out over the next few weeks:
https://i.postimg.cc/Wb0TQk6F/DSC-2069-800x450.jpg

Posted: 06 Dec 2019, 22:49 

Patlabor, from my memories watching at the Canberra Anime Society in the '90s and in my friend's bedroom (he loved it) was a slice of life drama/light comedy with some mecha. That is what is different about it, the mecha are just in the background as tools, some episodes they don't even use them, the're just in the shop or something or they do some mundane task like stop traffic.

I had an Ingram kit back then. It had a slide on armor/tactical? vest. Don't know what happened to it, it was very posable and had rubber covers for the joints that were already deteriorating back then. Probably chucked it because of the state of that rubber.f

Overall I wasn't really a fan except of the mecha. Not a show I need to own or watch again.

Posted: 07 Dec 2019, 06:15 

To my son's dismay I will not be viewing the next installment of Star Wars due out in December 2019.
I will live at peace that Episodes IV/V/VI will ever more be the gold standard in my memories, Episode I/II/III were decent installments with critiques. At least the prequels were palatable unlike the unmentionable team disney desecration of the continuation of the franchise.
(again, IMO !) :thumbdown:

It's easy, you just pretend that the last cuts of Star Wars were shelved and mothballed in a remote Nevada location in 1993..

It's kinda how I believe all edits, sequels to and cuts of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross were locked in a Shibuya train station locker circa 1992 and only a lowly and unassuming Big West employee has the key...

Post subject: Re: Wrong Update
Posted: 07 Dec 2019, 09:16 

word. Is that really you in your avatar?

Posted: 07 Dec 2019, 09:52 

Good luck xtempo. you're always a cool guy around here. I hope you reach LD nirvana and change your situation. I have to fight every day to get mine. Worth it though to kick against the pricks and f***ers, the screwheads. Let's be dudes who stand up against the scum, the c**ts, the dogs, the filth AND the s**t. Here is...

Posted: 10 Dec 2019, 12:15 

I frame tee shirts that I love the graphics on and are too trashed or too small to wear.

Framing watchable LDs does seem wrong to me as well..if you feel like watching em you got to go to a lot of trouble to get them out of the frame.

I'd like a "now playing" display stand or something to display the LD cover I'm watching or want to watch next...I started to turn some LDs covers outwards on my semi full shelf for fun and to admire the art..

Post subject: Re: Gen-lock help please
Posted: 11 Dec 2019, 09:52 

Yeah, it has no PSU or remote either so not the deal of the century but the best price I could find at short notice. Shipitto rates are fairly reasonable to Australia.

I like the look of the CS-450 better, looks like an obscure game console..

I'll keep the Sony 1024G for my future plan to get into projection after my CRT dies (hopefully never). The line doubler might be handy..?

Anyway I'll update here after I receive the CS-450, thanks for your help and recommendations, especially Audioboyz.

Posted: 22 Dec 2019, 06:58 

1. Laserdisc. The format I always lusted after growing up. The format for adults with jobs. The format for true purists. I tried to buy a player at Cash Converters in 2002, it turned out to be PAL only despite the protests of the staff and wouldn't play my only LD (Macross DYRL Perfect Edition CAV). I argued for about an hour in the store to get my money back. Then girls and clothes and other s**t took over but I always knew I would return. After my second stint in Japan, where I was dirt poor, I returned to Australia in 2009, even though I was unemployed the bank here gave me a $5000 credit card. Like any good citizen should I put it back into the economy and used it for prostitutes, alcohol, sneakers and a Pioneer LD player off ebay..since then I've struggled to keep players working and to build my LD ecosystem. I still love LD, will always love LD and it will be my primary format until my lack of technical skill or money finally forces me to just watch my DVDs : (

2. VHS. Fansubs traded at the Canberra Anime Society, fantastic stuff recorded off SBS TV with cystal clear Aussiefied subtitles. I wish I'd kept most of my VHS collection. Dubbing people's wierd tapes, eg got Video Days that way off my Japanese housemate and briefly got into skating because of it. There is something so pleasing to me about the VHS picture. Back then all I wanted was a S-VHS deck but it was out of reach for the likes of me..of the few VHS tapes I have left some of the ones recorded off SBS-TV look phenomenal, I had really good reception of SBS back then for some reason. Don't think they could have been broadcast in Stereo but I had the only Sony VCR I could afford new, a mono deck so I'll never know but it made good recordings. Before then I had a National VCR that I taped the entire run of Robotech onto. That set got me so many friends in my final two years of high school in '94/'95. Used to lend it out to guys. Other s**t I used to record that I remember, Married with Children and Samurai Pizza Cats :lol:

3. VCD. This format got me content that saved my life in the second half of the '90s on a uni student budget. With my J-Saturn and VCD card, Sydney's Chinatown gave me access to the best of Japanese underground movies, kung fu s**t and p0rn. Thank you VCD. You sucked but helped me so much in of my many times of poverty. Watching Tokyo Eyes on VCD changed my life and made me realise my need to live in Japan and get Japanese girls.

4. DVD. Did me good after a grilfriend gave me a PS2 in '02. I suddenly had access to a lot of wierd s**t and it looked better than VCD. Didn't really seem as elite as LD but some later R2 releases just f***ing rule and are really beautiful and well mastered with the most made of the format. Honestly give me a Kuraray case and Jap mastering and that is as valuable to me as a nice LD release because on my setup it holds up honestly. PCM sound is identical to LD, on my CRT with scaling and with my comb filter and with a good master macroblocking is non existent. Overall LD is still less harsh and more natural which I love. But I'll take a good DVD release anyday.

? Blu Ray. Sucks s**t, this is a good example of how when there are no limitations people fail to excel. Technically should be superlative but what I've seen is terrible and doesn't look good at all. Could be to do with the idiots working in the industry today who think everything should look like CGI for some stupid reason. Blu Ray represents the superficial new world to me and I hate it. It's not pure or desirable to me at all.

Posted: 22 Dec 2019, 07:38 

As for the “investment”. I’ve been collecting for decades and I can’t even guess what I’ve spent but I’m sure in real money it’s all now worth about...$60. I don’t let myself get hung up on any aspect of it except what will affect my LD watching. I’ll never ever ever ever get even %10 of my money back and I’m totally cool with it. The enjoyment I’ve had with my LDs is invaluable.

Like :thumbup:

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 11:03 

Didn't Nobel just make it up to feel less guilty about inventing dynamite?

I like the part (sarcasm) where Obama won the peace prize for being elected president just for being black> the ultimate condescentian of a president elect. Typical European leftist elites, virtue signalling how good and noble they are while actually being blatantly racist by having lower expectations for minorities.

Posted: 23 Dec 2019, 11:36 

Okay, thanks. got it straight now. Yeah your discs seem much more valuable if you can find a recorder.
Page 3 of 8 [ Search found 183 matches ]