All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 183 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 03 Apr 2021, 14:11 

The Thing is cool, have to watch that again sometime soon

Apocalypse Now is an experience for sure but a poor war movie imo

Posted: 04 Apr 2021, 08:58 

Nice, was it released in English? Good soundtrack?

Reino, I consider The Deer Hunter a good companion to Apocalypse Now, complete Vietnam fantasy but an experience. I'm biased, I love war movies and was insulted when someone recommended Apocalypse Now to me as a "good war movie"..Some actually good Vietnam WAR movies to me is stuff like We Were Soldiers or Hamburger Hill.

Posted: 07 Apr 2021, 08:03 

I hauled my copy of the hologram box to my hotel from a Hard Off in the suburbs of Tokyo in 2012. Paid about Y800 I think but it has some rips on the outer box and that hologram is wrinkled, discs inside perfect. Might try your restoration one day Rein-O but would have to think of something to restore the box paper rips too. It gets a watch every couple of years, actually due to watch it again, I know the story so well I don't really need subs but have my SSAs and genlock ready for this time. I got the Animeigo DVD box sets in the day and over time grew to hate the recolaration. The LDs just highlight that. That natural yet extremely clear picture is what makes anime from that era always look the best on LD. And of course Japanese otaku from that era would never accept anything but every episode complete and unmolested. Still the Animeigo discs did give me the complete original show for a long time, and Minmay's a** ; )

Posted: 10 Apr 2021, 01:13 

yeah I asked David SK to order me some LDs from his catalogue and I was going to send him a money order like I woulda done in 1994. Did Julien or David think I was serious or that some kind of financial fraud might have been committed? Or was my post considered "clutter"? I dunno this place is borderline active, if it wasn't for Ted Danson think it would be dying so I don't get censorship of members for not much reason. Maybe it's personal with me?

PMed you this Reino in case it gets deleted.

Post subject: Re: Macross News
Posted: 10 Apr 2021, 01:28 

Get that CS-450!!! Overlayed subs are so much better. You still looking?

I feel like I'm harping on it so much but I love it so much and the 450 has gotten me through a lot of Kurosawa and Takeshi Kitano stuff I never would have been able to decipher, not to mention my L-Gaim boxes which, like most mecha anime has some REALLY THICK male tough/old guy Japanese slurring going on. Yeah I can watch DYRL without subs by now too but the subs give me a sense of reassurance I'm not missing anything.

Looks like Zeta and I are on the same page for once. If HG release a new build LD player, call me.

Posted: 11 Apr 2021, 02:09 

Another non-LD review, Teddanson, you inspired me.

City War (1988)

https://i.postimg.cc/gkGDw8XN/mqdefault.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/tCg6Q5VQ/Chow-Yun-Fat-City-War-Ti-Lung-HK-RARE.jpg

Got the Fortune Star / Panorama R3 release (with cool postcard).

This one has always bypassed me. Fat at his peak, just before The Killer although this is directed by Sun Cheung who mainly did kung fu stuff before and after this.

This is an eponymous film for everything I love in '80s HK action flicks. Lots of shots of Hong Kong, cool cops and gangsters, weaponry, some canto-pop and peak mansions.

Man to me that would be the peak of human existance. To have lived on the peak in a modern '80s mansion in the '80s and take your Japanese sports car to the spots to get all the latest toys, model kits, laserdiscs, airguns, electronics etc etc all before they even hit street retail in Japan probably and all tax free.. then marry '80s Maggie Cheung (who isn't in this movie btw) through a forced arranged marriage because you're the richest man in Hong Kong... 遊戲結束! Hahahahhaaha

The original title card is only in the preview, not the film. It's been replaced by a dodgy "modernised" logo probably put on the 2010 release :x

Anyway if you want to see women and children get blown away in gory detail this is a great movie too. So brutal, so good. There's a great sequence at the beginning with a young shoplifter willing to throw away his young life. There's a guy (won't tell you who) who gets hit with a shotgun and the round kind of explodes inside him and exits through the sides of his body, it's good. But then there's classic tone change sequences of ridiculous over the top comedy, like the scene with the set up date of Fat. of course which makes this just standard and classic HK fare. Excellent. So excellent.

This was way better than Fatal Vacation which looks great on the cover but f***ing Eric Tsang just ruined it.

Posted: 14 Apr 2021, 12:10 

yeah Ted I read you reversed it. I have a lot of older Umbrella releases, pre-dumb rating code. Interesting they provide reversible covers now. Cool.

Posted: 14 Apr 2021, 12:19 

Well that was a comprehensive answer! I guess the only things you give up is the ability to sell stuff on and the ability to hold something in your hand. Sounds pretty cool.
Page 8 of 8 [ Search found 183 matches ]