It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 183 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 20 Jan 2020, 01:57 

yep, you still need baseload power. Most hippies and their dumbass mindless followers have taken that piece of common sense and put it away so they can essentially say: "noooo man, we should power the world with rainbows and good vibes..."

There's two things I've always hated and two kinds of people I have never trusted: Communists and hippies.

Posted: 20 Jan 2020, 22:58 

Not sure why Elon Musk is supposed to know everything about the future. To me he's just trying to make a profit like everyone else and for some reason people think he's Tony Stark? Actually I think it was because of that movie Iron Man being popular that people searched for a real life analogue?

I know he sold South Australia a battery, the world's biggest and most expensive, and it can power the state for about 2 minutes. Musk sounds like a con man to me here actually, taking advantage of contemporary green virtue signalling in the mainstream.

I keep hearing the last fires in Australia apparantly were the "worst ever" (coz climate change). However people's memories are incredibly short. The fires in Victoria in 2009, that's right, only 10 years ago, killed 8 times more people, raised roughly the same amount of properties and burnt an area that comes close to the last fires.

We live in a time that even a decade ago wasn't so, we live in a time of self induced mass-hysteria, where every little thing is the end of the world, it's insanity and Elon Musk is just taking advantage of our insane times imo.

Common sense like nuclear or new build coal and gas fired stations aren't happening anytime soon in Australia because of this (mostly Western) hysteria. Musk sees this, that's his only insight.

Posted: 24 Jan 2020, 12:11 

Remembering my '90s crushes tonight with Rie Tomosaka Clips and Hitomi Nine Clips DVDs

So pichi pichi, so hot, I had good taste
https://i.postimg.cc/0Qs3fMmY/220px-We-Are-Lonely-Girl-hitomi-single-cover-art.png
https://i.postimg.cc/Y9zPyrfJ/hqdefault.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/FzFBMMT1/rie3.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/SRZvkgPd/rie4.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/pXTSqt96/thumbnail.jpg

Posted: 26 Jan 2020, 08:45 

5th Element is way too Euro for me! Enjoy though

Friday night I was rockin Cocco KiraKira live tour 2007/2008 DVD. I'm not that much a fan of her recorded albums but live with this band she is amazing. The band is amazing. The recording is amazing. Can you see the sound waves in the picture? I had this on loud..

https://i.postimg.cc/xdVLWCP5/R0020844.jpg

Tonight chilling with Hinano Yoshikawa on VHS and Sun Dance with Mizuho Nakagawa on LD. Beautiful CAV video that really showcases LD. Reference disc for sure. The images are so clean my camera I don't know how to use, and that usually makes crappy pics actually managed to capture some of the magic. Still so much more IRL

https://i.postimg.cc/76m7GNrt/R0020860.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/V6YnkVpb/R0020862.jpg
Mizuho Nakagawa: Sun Dance (1984) [ME138-22LD]

Posted: 28 Jan 2020, 10:46 

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/rsz_mainpage.jpg

finished the final run of Orguss TV, gripping last few episodes, actually really started to care about the characters. I spotted the Arcadia in the final battle, cool easter egg that the internet doesn't seem to mention. The ending though??!! I now know why it's so controversial, I mean huhhhhhhhhh??? Need to see the Orguss Memorial discs and rewatch Orguss 02 now, saw it in the '90s at the anime club.

I'm preparing myself now for the great UC Gundam on LD experience where I watch it all from beginning to end..still need to track down some subs for Z and ZZ though..

Posted: 29 Jan 2020, 01:09 

Cashan the anime? I like Kids in the Hall. Didn't the guy from that end up on News Radio? I loved that show.

Guilty confession time: When I'm too tired from all the s**t to get out of bed I watch new movies on my laptop, from, ahem, certain free sources...

I liked Mid90s, just for the older brothers room. MUCH better than that "Dopeness " movie or whatever that tried to rip off KIDS in a really try hard way..I always liked Jonah Hill, the only guy from the new "funny guys" I like at all.

Uncut Gems is really good, really creates this hectic tension in every scene as this guys life falls apart. Reminded me of my f***in luck the last few years

Highly recommend Once Upon a Time in Hollywood if you hate hippies like I do

Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan. Really nice and mostly accurate. Some reviews said the heroism was overblown, but no it's all pretty much exactly what actually happened. Kind of like how people didn't believe the last scene in Fury, even though Audie Murphy actually pulled it off in real life. Truth is stranger than fiction..

The NVA troops are way too heavily built/fat, in real life they lived off a pound of rice and some fish every day. the Aussies had a realistic mix of overweight and what today would be considered underweight (but for the '60s was normal and healthy, glamour muscles don't actually help you in a firefight) troops.

Weapons and combat were well done, although at one point an NVA soldier is firing an STG44, although these did get supplied to the North I seriously doubt a regular NVA unit like D445 Bn would have one. Also the sidearm that Major Smith uses at the end of the battle is a US issue Colt government, should be a Browning Hi Power.

Also there was very little attempt to be PC or "woke" like a lot of movies now. Although the dedication at the end is to ALL the troops that died at Long Tan, I felt it should have just been dedicated to the Aussies because the North Vietnamese were fighting for an evil cause, that once ultimately victorious, ruined the lives and murdered many many free Vietnamese people.

Yep, we WERE fighting for freedom. Sue me.

Posted: 31 Jan 2020, 09:13 

I loved that movie so much> I built a cockpit around the TV to pretend to fly in the aerial combat scenes.

Posted: 03 Feb 2020, 07:40 

teddanson wrote:
The Big Bus is on Prime Video so 'free to watch' if you have a Prime subscription.

Nope. I sign up for it for cheap shipping every time I need to order from Amazon, which is extremely rarely and then unsubscribe before they charge me.

Posted: 08 Feb 2020, 06:39 

Zulu is one of the best war films ever made

Posted: 09 Feb 2020, 20:15 

I am only guessing that people who still watch LD are video hobbyist or for the nostalgia. Purchasing large CDs and storing them to play on a 2 decade-old multi-hundred dollar player approaching death that only output in RCA which some modern TVs might not accept to produce an image quality that is substandard to DVD quality does not make sense. Its so much easier to stream a 4K movie from your $10 Netflix subscription.

That being said, some people get a kick out of the older look, like those who enjoy watching a horror movie on VHS, which bring us back again to...its a video hobbyist or nostalgia thing.

No, it's not a nostalgia thing, or a gimmick, it's the best way to watch a lot of content. I was watching Godzilla vs Space Godzilla CAV last night. Crystal clear, natural picture, zero chance of digital artefacts or macroblocking on dark areas, natural skin tones, just perfection.

I'll always have physical media if I love the content too, I'll never get netflix. It's important for me to own and have total control over the work. No matter who owns the rights today or what a director or a releasing company decide to do to change it or make it available or not available I have an untouchable copy of the version I want until I die.

LD is the best physical media to feel like you actually own that copy. It goes straight to the content, no BS, no warnings. Just the content.

Post subject: Re: About the seller DaDon
Posted: 11 Feb 2020, 08:45 

I see no reason to doubt what he was saying there. That’s a very believable email chain. Speaking from experience, when life grabs you by the neck like that, you forget about stupid s**t like Laserdisc real quick.

Not me, stupid s**t like LD keeps me going in the hard times..in fact movies, music and s**t has saved my life a number of times. Without them, a lot of times I would've had nothing and nobody..

Posted: 11 Feb 2020, 08:46 

I just capture the audio off music/concert LDs and after trying some cheap ebay devices that sucked I was recommended an M-Audio transit here and it works great for PCM capture. I use Audacity and the transit and I get what I need.

Posted: 12 Feb 2020, 08:44 

I would've had a bid on that if I hadn't seen a Terminator/T2 double feature at the Australian Film and Sound Archive last year. I realised I like the first film much more and didn't really care about T2. Seeing it in the cinema in '91 as a 13 year old was pretty cool but as an adult it has nothing for me except that truck and later Arnie jumping into an LA stormwater drain, still cool.

Post subject: Re: Gen-lock help please
Posted: 13 Feb 2020, 10:27 

Managed to get a New Old Stock TVOne CS-450 for $100 shipped. Should have offered less I guess, but I'm happy with it.

? Why, that's a great price in the market far as I can tell. I paid twice as much for one with no remote or PSU, it was the cheapest option with deadstock ones going for US$300-$400, you got a good deal.

Glad to see a revived interest in genlocks in the forum because of this thread. It really isn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be and makes all those Japanese LDs fully enjoyable. Not just anime but I've been rewatching a lot of Japanese live action films I have that I used to watch raw and not fully comprehend. Man I wish I bought a genlock sooner.

What's the best method to share .ssa collections without paying? Google docs with zip files?

You me and Reino should do something like that to maximise our genlock utility.

Posted: 14 Feb 2020, 08:40 

Well they accepted right away and I'm cheap so it makes me think I could have got it for less. But yeah if it works I'm happy with it.

got it.

I need to dig in to anidb today and see what I can find. First thing I want to get a subtitle file for is Gunbuster.

Available here, just downloaded it myself actually as my boxset just came in:

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search/sublanguageid-all/pimdbid-98492/season-1

I'll happily share anything I can find that is wanted.

Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam and if it exists, Future War 19XX are the top of my want lists at the moment.

Posted: 14 Feb 2020, 08:52 

Miku Hatsune looks dumb. Actually a weeaboo colleague was drinking out of a blue and white striped coffee cup today and said "what does this remind you of?" I said the beach. He said don't you know Miku Hatsune??? I was like "nope", he scolded me for not knowing. Then he told me the story of Japanese panties after the war and you could only get white ones or blue and white striped ones or something so Miku Hatsune is a reference to that apparantly. I was like care factor: 0

Posted: 14 Feb 2020, 10:25 

https://www.lddb.com/cover/ld/51001-51100/thumb/51059.jpg
Minako Honda: Dangerous Bond Street [L090-1065]

Rounding out my Minako Honda LD collection, now complete, including the One Way Generation CDV.

This collection of songs is entertaining. Minako starts off in London, dodging punks and construction sites on her own double decker bus, then she finds her legendary cross in an antique shop. Suddenly she's pursued by Indians and Chinese and ends up evading them in Bombay and Hong Kong. Great stuff!

Posted: 14 Feb 2020, 22:28 

I want to live in '80s again so bad

Posted: 15 Feb 2020, 09:17 

thanks Firehorse, I think I tried to watch the movie but didn't finish it, not for me.

No I don't read books but thanks anyway. I have my own personal '80s in my head and I just need to buy my own house so I can convert it to all '80s decor

Posted: 15 Feb 2020, 23:24 

I'm against all restoration of anything unless it's unwatchable. Laserdisc is what it is.

Post subject: LD: 2050
Posted: 16 Feb 2020, 02:09 

As I more and more devote my video media collecting to Laserdisc exclusively, it does cross my mind that one day in my lifetime, my collection will become a useless row of unplayable curiosities.

Given moderate means (I don't earn a lot of money) and an average life span (I see myself hopefully living to see 2050) how likely do you think it is that I can keep enjoying LD over the next 3 decades?

I have 2 working players I use almost daily that are already 27 and 32 years old. I have one with a lot of issues that I hope to repair one day if I can find someone who can do it in Australia (unlikely apparantly). My attempts at even the most basic repairs (belt change) by myself on previously owned players have resulted in their total destruction.

Do you think existing and working players will start to climb drastically in price? Do you think any existing players will run out of spare parts? Do you think a new means of playing back LD's content will be developed, such as Zeta's flatbed scanner idea?

I guess these questions are always being asked and answered on this forum but I was just thinking about it..

Posted: 21 Feb 2020, 09:10 

Hamburger Hill, the best movie ever made if you asked my 12 year old self. Bad a** combat scenes, and all f***ing true. yeah the blue on blue scene is heartbreaking.

It was the dialogue too tho, such great dialogue..

"Great meal, Ma. Would you please pass the f***ing potatoes. The ham is f***ing A, Ma. You don't know how -- how f***ing great it is to be home. "

"You listen to me. We're gonna take this f***ing hill, Newsman. And if I catch you on top taking pictures of any of my people, I will blow your f***ing head off. You haven't earned a right to be here. You got that?"

SO f***ing cool
It don't mean nothin man...

Posted: 22 Feb 2020, 00:00 

I'll keep an eye on them too.

Have windows 8.1 and an old xp computer, haven't turned it on in a few years but was able to get the ssa to open on my laptop so I may just use this
rather than deal with the old xp desk unit.

Thanks for the pm, will keep searching, money is going into plumbing today rather than genlock hobby :(
But I do need laundry and don't really need the genlock :cry:

:cry: you could transfer the .ssa files on a usb stick to the XP PC? I just use my everything laptop for sub duty but would like a dedicated PC one day..I had a Sony Windows 7 VAIO HTPC for ages but gone now, s**t.

everyone NEEDS a genlock man. That is, every TRUE anime fan..

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 10:01 

Confederate - yep, agree, many members have PMed me saying what a dick Zeta can be. He's the ultimate hater, hates his own country, his own people, everything mainstream, anything he can think of that doesn't fit inside his limited world view or specific taste. He's the kind of guy who thinks he's very open minded but is actually extremely blinkered by his strong biases and beliefs. He does bring knowledge often though and I respect that. I don't want Zeta to stop posting in his way, if I wanted him to stop I'd be just like him. And I'm nothing like Zeta.

Posted: 28 Feb 2020, 23:09 

And I'm nothing like Zeta.
No, you hate different things entirely. :lol:

I post more positive than negative and I never tell anyone to stop posting. Zeta's posts are almost all negative and he literally wants content he doesn't like on this forum to not exist, he can't just not read it, it just shouldn't be there according to him.
Page 5 of 8 [ Search found 183 matches ]