It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 13 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 22 Jun 2017, 14:53 

Top LDDb buyer/seller here...

Many other members & friends have asked me to speak out on this monstrosity for quite some time.

Curious if this nightmare will ever be solved?
-My laptop just doesn't fit well in my pockets. I have 2 cell phones, 1 a LG & the other a Samsung -both top of the line models...neither work for making offers. I hear the iPhone doesn't work either, according to several members.
(I know a FEW smartphones may work on making offers or counter-offers, but we're talking in the LOW 10 percentile)
We're all on the GO, or busy at work these days etc... Not much time for laptop breaks during the day, especially for something simple as making a best offer.

Julien, Anyway we can get the offer function to be formatted like ebay, where we just punch in the price number...!!?

-Jay Roland
LDDb member: lasercamp

Posted: 19 Sep 2017, 11:25 

Which ones are you after ?

Realized that there is only "main language is" in the advanced search and no field for "bilingual" in the drop menus.

Doing it manually also finds:

Tenchi Muyo in Love: The Movie (1996) [PILA-1393]
Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection (1996) [TKLO-50180] has Laputa, Totoro, Kiki and Porco Rosso dubbed in English mono
Anne of Green Gables: Memorial Box 1 (1979) [BELL-552]
Anne of Green Gables: Memorial Box 2 (1979) [BELL-553]
Lupin the 3rd: The Mystery of Mamo (1978) [TLL 2474]
Transformers: Destron Box (1985) [PILA-1494]
Chibi Maruko-Chan: 10th Anniversary Video (1995) [PCLG-00041]
Spirit of Wonder, The (1992) [TSL-0052]

Julien

Posted: 17 Jan 2018, 19:17 

My DVL 909 developed a weird problem. Every several seconds a white dot races through the screen. I know it's not laser rot. It can happen in pretty much every part of the screen.

Anyone experienced this and knows what it is ?

I picked up a DVL-919 from Japan and it had this issue. I replaced every board and the LaserDisc pickup to no effect. I ended up replacing the spindle motor and platform from an DVL-919 from Hong Kong and the problem went away. I am pretty sure it was the platform assembly itself and not the spindle motor.

Posted: 15 Feb 2018, 17:21 

Spirit of Wonder

It's a pretty cool anime that mixes slice of life stuff with some sci-fi. I have the US release from AnimEigo. I imagine it's the same dub.

Too there's only one episode. The manga is pretty fun and has some better stories than the one they animated.

Posted: 23 Feb 2018, 16:44 

Well, if you need something like this to be spelled out to you then you are in the wrong collecting hobby.
Good luck with your collections of cheap stuff :thumbup:

Posted: 07 Mar 2018, 05:52 

Good morning Therussian,

Thank you for sharing this video,

I have this Japanese Box Set and the Regular Japanese and USA Release, they are all great and am happy that I own them.

I shall have to give them (or at Least one) a spin on my days off.

To be honest I prefer the 1998 version than the latest iteration/s....

Kind Regards to you

:wave: :thumbup:

Posted: 13 Apr 2018, 17:06 

It’s almoat impossible to not get kicked from a FB group. Someone there, another member, who’s a complete tool will decide they don’t like you for whatever reason and then they will report your posts until the mod just kicks you to shut the other guy up. Zero ethics, quintessentially Facebook.

Being pro-Russian is terrible but so is being pro-American and they’d never kick you for that. Therefore I’m siding with The Russian even without seeing the evidence. If they had a rule that banned all patriotism whatsoever from Laserdisc discussion (not a bad idea) then that would be different.

Posted: 25 Apr 2020, 16:40 

I just picked up The Matrix yesterday. It's a Pioneer USA pressing, not Kuraray but it looks great and I saw no signs of rot on it!

I've been wanting to add this to my collection for years, but was waiting for a semi-reasonable price.

Posted: 26 Apr 2020, 14:59 

At this point I just assume that anything forper hates has to be good.

Whereas I'm the opposite, anything I like is usually pretty bad :mrgreen:

Posted: 20 Jan 2021, 14:15 

I just realized, Godzilla is at least a little bit personally significant to me since it was the first time I ever saw or even heard of laserdisc; I distinctly remember a guy playing a clip or a trailer of the movie off the big shiny disc at a trade show when I was little. It definitely grabbed my attention then.

Posted: 04 Feb 2021, 11:25 

I had one of those sticks. I customised mine though. Found an old photo of it here with all my Darius stuff. The stick and games, aside from the PSP edition, and the 3 model ships, are gone now. I have everything else though. I had more photos of the custom stick I made but it was a long time ago now, the snaps are probably long since gone.

https://i.postimg.cc/9MqhKWcq/oGEMtBx.jpg

Posted: 13 Aug 2021, 14:29 

I agree. It’s a nice collection. Certainly much bigger than mine and contains many discs I’d like to have. I think most people here would agree. I also think most people here would agree that the owner is totally clueless.

Whatever the scene is, LD, records, Faberge eggs, whatever, there are people in that scene, actual individuals who appreciate the stuff for its actual purpose. These people catalog everything, buy, sell, discuss, learn everything. The hardcore do it till they die. Every day. We were into LD before anyone ever flipped one. When flippers are trying to cash in, when they give up, when they come back. We’re still here.

Then you have people who show up out of nowhere and try to tell everyone else what their own stuff is worth. They say things like “you never know!” which suggests they love slot machines and lotto and the thrill of a payday more than anything else. They sound eternally optimistic but in fact they are eternally not paying attention. There is no significant market for this kind of thing.

LD in the US is sold mainly on eBay. This forum is probably second place. Yahoo Auction Japan is very popular as well but almost totally as a way to dump JP LDs outside of Japan.

Now there are other sellers and collectors more hardcore than these but they deal in much harder to find stuff than you have. You are dealing with very common stuff by comparison and you have a mountain of it.

So here’s my question: who on Earth are you imagining will buy this for the price of a new Porsche? A guy with an eBay store? Ha! A doomed venture. Will the guy sell it here? Well, maybe, eventually, possibly, but you’re talking to us now, people who live and love (and sometimes deal in) Laserdisc including the founder of the site and they are telling you it isn’t happening. The last option I guess would be that you find someone who loves LD so much that he’ll spend six figures on it but inexplicably doesn’t have a collection yet.

If I were you my main concern would be to find someone who will take it for any price including free. It’s physically huge and %99.999 of society considers it something to haul to the dump. You are NOT sitting on a goldmine or a retirement plan. “You never know!” Nope, many many things can be known if you try, pal. This is one of them. You don’t love it as a movie collection, obviously. Its an albatross. You won’t even catalog it! Ridiculous! What kind of lazy person deserves $100,000 for an uncatalogued collection? How can anyone even trust that it is what it is said to be? Are you going to even be home when the buyer comes to get it or is that too much of an hassle as well? Should I just put the $100,000 in gold bullion in your mailbox and get the LDs out of the wet basement myself?

Posted: 06 Dec 2023, 16:17 

Okay now I saw it all.

Pawn stars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHFhA9NC8qg

I can buy a damn gold bar for the amount that is being asked.
There is no freaking way that a mass produced item like a VHS can cost this much just because it was put in an acrylic case.
There's a pretty good chance the guy who brought those in is part of the scam. It happened with the videogame episode.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 13 matches ]