It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 94 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Working PR-7820 Value?
Posted: 21 Jan 2021, 04:10 

In Dragon's Lair, the PR-7820 can be swapped out with a LD-V1000. Older boards might require some mods and updated eproms, but that's not terribly difficult to come by.

The PR-7820 is practically required for the early GM discs to play correctly. It will NOT play most discs from the 90s because mastering plants dropped the MCA code carrier from the disc.

The rubber clamp is notorious for turning to goo. I can make replacements if anyone needs one.

Posted: 30 Jan 2021, 00:37 

I have a handful of badges I've rescued from players I've salvaged. Send me a PM.

Posted: 30 Jan 2021, 00:43 

This sounds like a bad pickup. It can also occur from the tangential adjustment being off, but that is unlikely to be the cause unless the pickup has been replaced or someone has been mucking with the adjustment.

Easiest thing to do is find another pickup. Pickups from most any player built after 1996 will work, including the LD pickup from a DVL player. The difference are in the plastic attachments on the pickup for each player. You'll need to move them around if you get a pickup from a DVL player or a single-sided CLD player.

Posted: 18 Mar 2021, 18:21 

Yellow started in the Europe with the second release of LaserDisc - the original thought was to make the "Digital Audio" disc yellow to show they were different from the early analog audio discs.

Japan used yellow discs to identify discs issued to the rental market. I don't know if this was to discourage disc swapping or just to make them 'different'.

The 5" CDV disc with audio were yellow. CDV discs without audio were silver and classified "Video Singles".

Even Dead 2 is the only red disc. It does not play in HeNe Laser tube players (632nm) as the red color cancels out the beam.

The red laser in the HLD-X9 player (670nm) has no issue.

I've never seen a 'green' disc. But I suspect they could have made black discs - as they did with CDs.

Posted: 31 Mar 2021, 02:38 

The pinion gear breaks very easily in this player. Part number is VNL-028. This pinion gear is used in all pioneer built open-top players except the PR-7820. Typically the center breaks out of the gear. Pioneer revised the assembly with a closed bottom pinion. Here is a picture of the 'revised' pinion gear.

Post subject: Re: portable LD player
Posted: 31 Mar 2021, 17:36 

There were several 'component' assemblies, and players built into 'boom boxes'.

Picture is of the CL-J55LD

Posted: 04 Apr 2021, 21:40 

I have found some copies marked like this have the 2nd side covered like a dead side. This is at least the 5th copy of a US CLV pressing of "1941", and all of them have been within the last year. Prior to that, I had thought all copies were the blue MCA Videodisc label Japan pressing.

Posted: 19 May 2021, 16:51 

Ethan Gallo now makes these gears. I've got one installed in (one of) my VP-1000 and it works great!

Posted: 22 Jun 2021, 21:34 

Whatever payment arrangements can be negotiated between seller and buyer I think are fine. I am happy to do PayPal and Venmo. I've even done Xoom once for a transaction in Euros. (I was the buyer in that instance.)

Posted: 15 Jul 2022, 15:21 

Typically, this has to do with a warp. Very full CAV are a real b**ch. With a surface speed equivalent to 5400 RPM, a ripple warp on the edge can be more than the optical pickup can compensate for. The same warp on a full CLV disc would not cause an issue. Playability can (but not always) vary from machine to machine.

Posted: 15 Jul 2022, 16:06 

I don't know of any examples of CAA70. CAA65 was used on a handful of titles - the Japanese "Blade" which has sides of nearly 61 minutes.

Posted: 17 Jul 2022, 01:43 

I think I've had a total of 7 of these over the years. Currently have 5 - but only 2 work. The number one issue I've had with them is the transport not being locked down properly and the mechanism bangs around so bad it tears the ribbon cable. I've never been able to find a replacement. The next issue is getting it all timed correctly. There are probably 100 micro switches, and it can be put together with several of them in the wrong orientation.

Posted: 02 Apr 2023, 18:34 

Sometimes the same release got 2 covers, to address 2 different markets.

Ex: Outrageous Fortune (1987) [569 AS 1] and Outrageous Fortune (1987) [569 AS 2]

West of Mississippi river
https://www.lddb.com/cover/ld/00601-00700/thumb/00637.jpg

East of Mississippi river
https://www.lddb.com/cover/ld/56201-56300/thumb/56286.jpg

Julien

This was just more than the cover. The discs are actually different, highlighting which actress had top billing.

Posted: 02 Apr 2023, 18:53 

While there can be a TOC in the CD/digital sound data (which is a side channel and will not show up in the audio), there's no TOC per se on the Laserdisc, chapter search on the player works by scanning the disk for the chapter flags in the vertical interval.

Chapter, time and frame number is encoded in the vertical interleave. True TOC was added to discs in the late 80s, embedded into the PCM track. This include total run time, total chapter count and location of the chapters, and LD+G subtitles. If you do a chapter search on a disc without TOC, the player has to keep reading the RF signal to track the location. With TOC, the player knows exactly where the chapter marker is and search speeds are improved.

Posted: 01 May 2023, 12:22 

When the Technidisc plant shut down, a bunch of these “check discs” appeared. I have a couple of them. “Raise the Red Lantern” and one of the “Schoolhouse Rock” titles if I recall correctly. I had “Empire Strikes Back” at one time.

Post subject: Re: ??? Taiwan LD...
Posted: 06 Jun 2023, 17:10 

I have 11 Taiwanese discs - all were pressed by known entities; Pioneer Japan, Kuraray and one from PDO UK.

Posted: 09 Oct 2023, 01:34 

I have 11 copies. Lowest number is 0002, highest is 2869.

Posted: 22 Nov 2023, 17:19 

Yes, the difference was mainly the DVDM board. But you have to be careful if you are trying to 'rebuild' players. The DVDM board and the FLKB boards from the (1) variant are not interchangeable with their original edition counterparts. Mixing them up will generally report an error on the display at power on.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer PR8210 Issue
Posted: 22 Nov 2023, 17:34 

The slider motor is on a pivot so when it reaches the end of the track it will make that popping noise. It's odd that the slider moves on it's own like this. No belts, it is all gear driven. The laser has a double cut-off switch in both the latch assembly and in the lid. Additionally, this model only fires the laser when the play button is pressed. First thing that comes to mind is the tracking pot. One one end of the slider is where the tracking motor drives the assembly. On the other side is a large gear on a potentiometer which tells the player 'where' the slider is ion the path. If you turn on the player and the slider is all the way to the outside, it is 'supposed' to return to 'park'. Perhaps that pot is broken.
Page 4 of 4 [ Search found 94 matches ]