It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 5 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 15 Nov 2018, 04:36 

Thanks for the feedback. Although, I'm surprised that no one mentioned or answered any of my questions in regards to the DVD recorder(Panasonic DMR-E65).

I have no experience with that model or any DVD recorder for that matter, actually I did own one years ago and it was great for recording
but I didn't use it for a filter.

While it may improve the image you may not be seeing what you want to see.
Its still an older analog video technology that can look great for what it was on modern equipment.

From the pictures in another post I would say that you could get an image slightly better than DVD IF you are willing to spend
the cash.

I believe mimilovesjapan has an X0 and lumagen scaler, posted some great images of Heavy Metal.

Posted: 30 Oct 2019, 22:09 

It’s a very good player. Better than many Elite models that came before it.

You should hook it up both ways and judge for yourself which is better. We can’t tell you anything you can see with your own eyes looking at your own stuff in your own room. In period the s-video output was intended to be best but these days there are many ways of handling video better than the best stuff from back then so composite may very well work better on your setup.

Calibrate the display to the player using Video Essentials (1996) [ID3487ISF] and turn the brightness and contrast WAY WAY down and you’ll be happy with the image of this player on any decent TV. If you try to make it as bright as your Blu-rays so you can watch it on a 100” screen with all the windows open on a sunny day expect it to look like blown out aliased crap.

Posted: 31 Oct 2019, 12:46 

I owned an R7G for several years until selling it earlier this year for around £/€600, it was a mint example both cosmetically & mechanically. It's a super machine with the most advanced 3D comb filter ever fitted to any Pioneer player (X0 & X9 inc.) and when using its s-video out the image quality was very close to my HLD-X9 on well mastered LDs e.g. The Fifth Element, Star Wars Trilogy etc. although the performance gap perhaps widened a little when running discs with poorer quality transfers. The big downside with this player though is that unlike most other machines it's performance when switching to the composite output is a huge disappointment; in my system the image appeared very soft indeed, infact the CLD-925 produces a far better result especially via the Lumagen 2144 processor. In my humble opinion I wouldn't advise the R7G as a particularly good choice and especially as your display isn't fitted with an s-video input. Finally I thought R7G image did tend towards the digital look which is no surprise for such a late player, perhaps you should be looking to obtain something on the lines of a CLD-97 or similar for that smoother more analogue kind of image you mention is your preference?

Posted: 31 Oct 2019, 15:27 

Finally I thought R7G image did tend towards the digital look which is no surprise for such a late player, perhaps you should be looking to obtain something on the lines of a CLD-97 or similar for that smoother more analogue kind of image you mention is your preference?

While I never really noticed this I have heard this many times.

And yes, if you are looking for an analog image 97 or even older player like the Tatsuke fave 3030 but that's a single sided player.
You could look for any of the 3070, 3080, CLD-91 or 92 they are older but will give you the best bang for your buck in a certain price
and age range.

Posted: 31 Oct 2019, 22:41 

Kul att se fler från Sverige på forumet! Om du har hittat en R7G i Töcksfors är det med all sannolikhet min gamla. :)

Like mentioned before the composite output doesn't offer anything too special (you've got noise reduction for chroma and luma but those work best in S-video), but when actually using S-video I found it to be a good player for sure. Excellent comb filter with very little rainbowing and practically no dot crawl. Quite stable image overall. I clearly prefer it over the traditional PAL/NTSC players like D515 or D925.

Got some screenshots from the R7G for you here if you'd like to see.
https://www.minhembio.com/Filmsamlaren1/350951/
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 5 matches ]