It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 6 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Sega Saturn
Posted: 21 Feb 2021, 16:18 

If you like VF2 you’ll probably find that no other 3D fighter on the Saturn was ever quite as good but Fighters Megamix is close. In general games made by Sega are a safe bet, Sega Rally, Sega Touring Car, Panzer Dragoon, Sakura Wars, etc.

In 2D fighting the Saturn has many great games. Vampire Savior is fantastic, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter is super impressive and fun. There are a lot of SNK ports that were the best of the time but they aren’t as good as Neo ones or usually the PS2 ones either so I guess it matters what other systems you have. Astra Superstars is a very unique fighter, a semi sequel to Galaxy Fight and Waku Waku 7, it’s a fan art driven send up to Dragonball in a way, and uses little animation but a lot of sprite warping and other 32 bit FX, it was an ST-V game originally.

Saturn Bomberman and Guardian Heroes are better mutiple players games than anything...except maybe Death Tank (hidden on Power Slave) and Death Tank Zwei (hidden on Duke 3D, requires Quake to unlock).

The SS also rules at shooters but of course those can be the most expensive games. Layer Section, Radiant Silvergun, Darius, etc.

IMO, Saturn Tomb Raider is a bad version of a bad game but your tag says you’re from Finland and tastes vary by region I guess. I genuinely cannot tell what I’m even looking at in games like that.

Posted: 21 Feb 2021, 21:14 

Don't know if I'm posting this to the wrong place or not. But anyway.

I recently bought a Saturn for myself. Finally having enough of the 32x stopgap. (And definitely not because I'm afraid Segata Sanshiro is gonna kill me if I don't have one.)

Anyway the first game I'm planning on getting for it is definitely Virtua Fighter 2. The next game after that is going to be Tomb Raider. After that I'm planning on getting one of those action replay carts to make my Saturn region free. (the model that I got is the second European one)

Anyway what games should I be looking to get after that? Personally I'm mostly interested in fighting games (both 2d and 3d) and racing games. Off course I'm not just going to stick to those to genres.

Anyway hopefully I don't look like a dummy that posted this to the wrong place.

Are you planning to buy games only and not burn? This matters for my recommendations because while games like Elevator Action Returns are awesome, they are also rather pricey now.

Some that I recommend that should still be reasonable: Puzzle Bobble 3, Digital Pinball Necronomicon, Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators, Twinbee Deluxe Pack, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Outrun, Touge King of Spirits, Drift King 97, Road Rash, Vampire Hunter, Vampire Savior, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, King of Fighters 97, various Street Fighter games, Chase HQ.

Posted: 22 Feb 2021, 00:11 

Okay cool these are all games I really recommend.

Elevator Action Returns, Crows the Battle Action, Hyper Duel, Magic Knight Rayearth, Dragon Force, Keio Yugekitai, Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru, Sokko Seitokai: Sonic Council, Super Tempo, Tryrush Deppy, Blast Wind, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Astra Superstars, Death Crimson, Twinkle Star Sprites, Bulk Slash, Nekketsu Oyako.

All awesome games, all pretty unreasonable to buy now. I think I spelled them all right, but there could be some errors. The Saturn has tons of awesome games in general, it's a great console.

Posted: 08 Apr 2021, 09:27 

Well coincidentally I've always called them by their literal translation in Finnish, but apparently a lot of period publications used the word "picture disc" - which is pretty confusing since "picture disc" usually refers to a type of printed record.

There was also a comic book I had from around 2001 or so where a character refers to "laserdiscs", but when I got my hands on the original English language version, he says "compact discs", so clearly, this issue becomes even more muddled once you start considering the various foreign translations for the format name!

Posted: 08 Apr 2021, 14:45 

Does anyone know where you can get good quality rgb scart cables for the Saturn. One advantage of being an european is that my consumer grade LG CRT is rgb capable. Right now I have my Saturn hooked up using the original Sega RGB scart cable. (I checked up the manual and yes it came with an RGB cable. And my TV confirms that it is indeed RGB)

Still there is some background noise in the quiet sections, due to the cable. So I'd like to know, if you know any better alternatives to the original Sega RGB cable.
I think retrogamingcables.co.uk has good-quality SCART cables for most consoles that support RGB.

Posted: 28 Apr 2021, 01:56 

Probably something that Julien just can't quite implement so he removed it or it's having issues and he disabled it until he can fix it.

Correct, I disabled it for now because it was confusing a lot of people making a LD search in the HW search and finding nothing at all... and then submitting a new title that already existed.

Until the rest of the HW section is completed, I will keep it disabled.

Julien
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 6 matches ]