It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 272 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 03 Nov 2021, 13:28 

Meanwhile, these came from Italy, in just four days somehow.

These are pretty cool.

More MTG for me unsurprisingly.

Also as I become more and more unsatisfied with modern gaming I have been rediscovering SNES. Right now I only have Link to the Past and Final Fantasy III (VI). Been really enjoying my time with both games. SNES through PS2 is definitely my favorite stretch. NES era is good too though. Not planning to have a massive amount of carts, probably under 20 games even when done I imagine.

Posted: 12 Nov 2021, 19:28 

Can we have a WTF is going on with prices of common discs category??

Would love to see what others have to say and have a focused category for that.
Been seeing discs and would be nice to ask why these are going so high, is there something special or what.

I would love to find these buyers. :lol:

I just sent a bunch of common movies that were duplicates (or beyond) for me to a friend for free.

Posted: 13 Nov 2021, 15:06 

Ghost in the Shell
Angel's Egg

I've watched both of these on LD a lot.

Posted: 20 Nov 2021, 01:25 

It is almost safe to assume every retro game collector has an inherited interest in dead video media too. Younger generation get into gaming then retro gaming and naturally follow with retro video. This is a large base of people. Very few of them actually come and post here. Our forum is not super show off bragging friendly. It is much easier to snap a picture with your phone and post on social media. There is dozens of “I just got into LD. Look what I bought” posts everyday there. There is a new hype created every few months. There is a massive AC-3 disc hype going on now. Common AC-3 discs are $50 now. Most of these guys don’t even have surround sound systems(a sound bar at best). It’s a generational thing. I am too old to understand. I don’t care to understand them.

I need to find these people and sell them my AC-3 discs. :lol:

I tried to sell some discs awhile back and rein-o was right, you will sit on them for a long time.

I enjoy LD for what it is but I feel like when you are spending well over what a nice BD of the movie costs it is kind of silly. Obviously there are special cases but that X-Men movie? Lol.

Posted: 21 Nov 2021, 20:14 

A store that has LDs for sale in 2021? Fantastic.

But yeah what you are describing with Pulp Fiction is not rot. Fugitive is the textbook definition of rot.

Posted: 21 Nov 2021, 20:24 

I've been going through Future Boy Conan (new US blu-ray) lately; about half-way through. It is absolutely astounding. I can scarcely believe it was made in 1978 - if the entire 1980s produced a TV show with better animation, I don't know it. You could have told me it was made in 1995 and I'd have believed it. And even ignoring the technical genius and mesmerizing sights, it's a gripping, perfectly paced adventure story that simply bursts at the seams with heart. I hope lots of kids in the English-speaking world can get to watch it now that it's out; they've been deprived.

Sends me reeling that I'd barely heard of this show before this year, considering it's directed by Hayao freaking Miyazaki. And you can tell immediately: it is so thoroughly his work, especially in the mechanical designs. So far I'd rank it above Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle . So to say, highly recommended.

The BD is well worth getting, by the way. Picture's excellent, hard to imagine it looking any better. The negatives must have been in amazing shape. The subtitles sometimes lean on the side of clarifying intent when the spoken lines are obviously simpler and less verbose, which can be a bit distracting, but it's just an intermittent annoyance (and might be something I wouldn't notice if I weren't learning Japanese (I trust the subtitles more than myself, though, otherwise I wouldn't have them on)). Haven't watched the dub.

Zeta and ZZ Gundam, Kimagure Orange Road and I could go on but Future Boy Conan looks amazing for when it was made, no doubt. Rose of Versailles was another 70s stand out with the animation for me.

It's a great anime, I will have to rewatch it since the first time I saw it well, you can imagine the quality.

@Zeta: I recommend always checking blu-ray.com for questions about a release. You already figured out what you needed to but https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Future-Boy-Conan-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/299664/

Posted: 22 Nov 2021, 16:41 

Sherlock Hound is on my list but I'm really holding out for a Bluray even if it's SD (though obviously a proper HD release would be great). I'd really rather not buy DVDs.

The hope for Heidi being released would be Discotek or Shout Factory. I don't think anyone else would do it.

Posted: 26 Nov 2021, 15:03 

record of lodoss war. I try to get back to mysterious cities of gold and then this makes me want to watch it again but unfortunately I don't have the Crystania stuff anymore nor have I seen the other one I think Heroic Knight or something but it's a good series.

I highly recommend the Lodoss War OAV blu ray. It looks absolutely incredible. It's $20 on amazon right now and includes Heroic Knight (DVD only for that).

Posted: 27 Nov 2021, 18:40 

It's a good device but I ended up selling mine (at cost, off eBay) to someone that missed the first wave. I already have too many devices, it would have needed to completely blow me away to keep it and it did not.

Posted: 27 Nov 2021, 19:35 

In my book there weren't any real improvements to most systems. I quit reading the thread on shmups but I remember there were issues with Neo originally. SNES too I think but SNES is notoriously tricky. I was happy with what I saw when I tried some Saturn but to me the Saturn looks great in general. I am a CRT user first and foremost though. My NES, Famicom and PCE just stay hooked up to my PVM. Everything else from SFC up to the Wii is on the HD CRT next to it.

I have some DVDO devices that are always hooked up and used basically daily but that is almost exclusively for film content. One of the most useful of these devices that I have is the XRGB3, things look great with it just line doubling and outputting to computer CRT monitors.

Also, the only improvement it has for PS2 over the Framemeister is that it is at least sometimes available for msrp. I guess that's really the selling point for most of these new devices. You can buy them without having to deal with p2p sales.

Posted: 27 Nov 2021, 22:05 

Every Sega CD I've had (I keep exactly one) was not working when I got it. The model 2 is easy to perform maintenance on at least. I don't use it enough to justify that cart (is cool tho), I do really like my Mega SG.

Posted: 29 Nov 2021, 18:57 

Yeah Discotek put it out before.

I need to scan over the Sentai sale again, but on my first glance I didn't see anything I really wanted (I bought a great amount on that first big sale sale awhile back especially).

ETA: Started watching some Galaxy Express 999 again. Just a really comforting show with good life lessons. Glad is saw a release in its entirety in the US.

Posted: 16 Dec 2021, 14:58 

Visually superior to the Discotek release by far. I would imagine they found new source material given there wasn't a Japanese blu ray until 2019. If you like the movie then it is the release you want. Highly enjoyable to watch on the projector, up there with Arion and Crusher Joe. Can't recommend Crusher Joe enough visually.

Posted: 16 Dec 2021, 18:13 

signofzeta wrote:
Is there actually a US release of Arion?

Yes.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Arion-Blu-ray/282896/

Really good movie, imo.

Posted: 20 Dec 2021, 22:38 

I beat Final Fantasy 6 and started Final Fantasy 4.

On the collecting side I do have some stuff coming, likely not arriving until after Christmas.

Posted: 04 Jan 2022, 20:37 

Finished Final Fantasy 4. Really great game.

Posted: 11 Jan 2022, 17:18 

Recent blu ray pre-orders. Some of these had a November release but just got here due to delays.

Posted: 20 Jan 2022, 00:24 

Chrono Trigger is awesome. The racing thing was definitely a bit janky though, for sure.

Posted: 23 Jan 2022, 02:21 

That crap racing section is the reason I never bothered to raise Chocobos, and why I’m better for it. Skip the snow boarding, Tetra Master, etc and these games are much better.

Currently I’m playing Super Robot Wars T on Switch and it’s great.

I really should get these more recent SRW games. Love the series, and haven't played one in a bit.

Posted: 29 Jan 2022, 15:39 

I'm in a similar boat to some of the other users that have already posted. I got all the stuff I really wanted to get (Angels Egg, GitS, Gunbuster etc). Everything else is just a matter of buying when it makes sense. IE buying lots, classic movies when they are cheaper than the blu ray, or buying Criterions that didn't even make it to BD yet. But also...

I don’t go stupid deep into things so this doesn’t happen to me. I pause one thing to do another and go back to them after a while. Moderation and a mindful existence is key in all aspects of life.

When you say “retro games” to be honest I wince…both at the term itself and also at the truly stupid prices people pay for this stuff now. All my stuff in that area was retail or less, often pennies on the dollar. I don’t buy horror LDs or late 90s Hollywood crappla for $500 a piece either. LD has been a pretty affordable hobby for me since 1992.

The whole point of LD for me is that it's mostly cheap. I definitely see absolutely no point to buying $500 versions of a movie available for $2 on BD if I even want that movie (typically I do not). By and large the entire premise of horror movies doesn't appeal to me but that's another discussion.

RE Video games: The best time to buy for any system is when it's on the way out and people are dumping. This is less of a thing now that basically everyone left buying physical games is a collector. PS3/360/Wii is the last era this might be fully true for. The buy and dumpers have mostly moved on to just buying digitally which has made for a pretty dry used market and near dead trade scene. NES/SNES era games actually had a longer window than most. Up through even as late as 2007 or so only a few really had big value. Chrono Trigger, Drac X, Earthbound etc and even then it wasn't nearly as insane as after. As someone that used to be into hunting at garage/yard sales and sold multiple copies of it, pretty sure Earthbound wasn't even triple digits until maybe 2010 or 11.

There has NEVER been a better time to play though. No one actually needs to pay $200 to play Chrono Trigger. There are flawless emulation options that offer the same experience. Even if you are just dying to play it on an original system on a CRT, flashcarts are a fraction of that price.

Posted: 22 Feb 2022, 16:06 

I'm personally surprised more people aren't pulling this type of stuff, its actually very easy and I've held my tongue so many times
on this forum not from me getting scammed but about things I've seen over the 15+ years I've been buying and selling.

I had a similar situation on ebay about 10 years ago with CEDs, the guy gave me my first negative feedback ever, come to think about it it may have been the only
one.

Anyway said the disc was skipping, it wasn't great but it didn't skip as I had a player at the time, but he pulled this with a bunch of people and you could see
the feedback and contact others at the time, OK he got away with it but then again he was trying to scam junk from people for free.

He didn't get any money back from me but it was also posted on the CED forum at the time, very nasty guy with a nasty mouth too.

Fortunately, most people either don't know or aren't evil enough to do it. In my 20+ years now of buying/selling online I can still count the scammers on my hands.

One that sticks out to me to this day is a camcorder I sold in a bundle deal on eBay. Buyer claimed it wasn't working right. This was a very low value bundle so I just ate my loss instead of being out $20+ in shipping on a $40 bundle. Well of course the buyer then relisted everything individually for max profit including the camcorder itself which was listed as fully functioning. Just completely blatant and eBay of course did nothing.

Posted: 12 Mar 2022, 03:52 

confederate wrote:
I don't know whether that counts but I have a DADC USA pressing of Men In Black that is pretty much perfect on all sides.

Quite rare I'm sure. Mine is of course a rotter.

My rarest is without a doubt To-y.

Posted: 19 Apr 2022, 23:33 

It's definitely authentic. I opened it up to look. But always good to mention as bootleg carts are rampant.

Posted: 23 Apr 2022, 13:29 

Well, I'm going to watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit tonight. The first sale in my shop, and I want to double check for lack of rot (don't remember any issues).

Post subject: Re: good squid
Posted: 23 Apr 2022, 13:33 

At some point you have to weigh potential sales vs high risk of people asking for returns, partial refunds etc... When people send me really weird messages on eBay sometimes I will just block them. One big red flag for me is people that ask for pictures of the disc (for disc based video games). Those can never really show anything unless it's super bad. Feels like those people are trying to trap you to file a SNAD claim.

Without knowing all the details here it's hard to say, but it sounds like a personal issue between the two of you.
Page 9 of 11 [ Search found 272 matches ]