It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 272 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 14 Jul 2019, 01:11 

I admit, I am still a big noob. I am also very thankful that this forum/site exists as a resource.

And let me just add; it's not like these questions are like "someone we know but I won't say" who was asking questions that just had no business being on the forum in most cases. :roll:

BLOODY TOPPER.

Posted: 14 Jul 2019, 16:42 

The price is pretty lol, I'm good with the BD.

Posted: 24 Jul 2019, 01:01 

Of course Criterion makes money. That's why they charge what they do. They know they are better off charging $30-40 a movie because they are worth it. Plus lowering the price by $15 doesn't make sense because the loss in margin wouldn't be offset by the amount of new buyers coming in at that price point.

Posted: 07 Aug 2019, 14:47 

Dead I can send you a Pioneer remote for shipping money if that would be cheaper than you trying to get one locally. Also if you already have a fancy Logitech remote that will work. I'm using a Logitech for the Proscan since it won't work with Pioneer remotes and I needed to be able to switch between analog and digital audio.

Btw you generally want to avoid sealed LDs if you are planning to watch the movie. Last time I bought a sealed movie off of a store here I asked the seller to open it and verify no damage or disc rot which they were happy to do.

Posted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:28 

I’d be way more concerned about learned the disc was cracked only after opening it. That has happened to me and it sucks. I think this is a much greater likelihood if you aren’t the sort to spend your money chasing Eraser or Dante’s Peak whatever (it seems most famous rotters are garbage films for some reason.) A shrink wrapped jacket can make a completely useless disc look wonderful.

I had this happen TWICE on my first two purchases of sealed LDs. It's not like I was even seeking out sealed ones either, it just so happened that they were the cheapest copies of both. I don't think the sellers could have known they were cracked of course.

Posted: 08 Aug 2019, 04:49 

Yeah he is right almost all remotes are compatible with all players as long as it is the same brand. Both Pioneer remotes I have work with all three Pioneer players I have. And neither remote directly matches any of the players. I got a cheap remote off ebay just to have one then got a nicer one from a user here for free.

Posted: 09 Aug 2019, 15:00 

I have more than one and will undercut Rein-o. :shock:

Post subject: Re: Value of Laserdisks
Posted: 20 Aug 2019, 16:15 

Paging SignofZeta to the courtesy phone.

Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 00:18 

I think it's more the fact that the face of the fandom has changed. Whatever people call themselves "anime fans" only watch whatever flavor of the month moe harem isekai garbage is the hot property right now. Either that or Dragonball Z or some other shounen that had the grace of actually being shown on Toonami back in the day. Instead, it's people like us who unironically enjoy obscure 70's giant robot anime who get made fun of.

:?

But there is definitely a reason I don't go to any anime specific forums. On here and another forum I go to it's all grumpy middle aged/older guys like myself. We are all jaded, like old s**t and dislike many things about modern anime while being interested in maybe a couple new series each year. In fact on this other forum I recently posted a screenshot from the bar in one of the grumpy old men movies to describe us.

Posted: 15 Sep 2019, 01:34 

I suppose you said many but I have to say not everyone is that way. I barely care about money beyond that it is a means of survival. I value human life much higher. Of course the exploitation of other humans for financial gain is a time honored scum lord tradition.

Posted: 25 Sep 2019, 14:19 

I think having best offer as an option per item is a great idea. Some could be more negotiable, others not.

Posted: 28 Sep 2019, 14:09 

He clearly can't handle being on this forum anymore, he's proven that. He finally gets through and just posts c**t a bunch instead of something normal. I do think it's a shame because he does still more or less have his wits about him and has good knowledge but he would rather not engage in discussion on this forum.

Well stated benmbe.

Posted: 30 Sep 2019, 21:07 

confederate wrote:
t is better than the DVD where you can
see compression artefacts. For 4:3 aspect ratio video laserdisc is perfect.

This and audio are why I prefer LD over DVD.

Nice to see you around confederate, been awhile.

Posted: 01 Oct 2019, 00:09 

My grandfather served in a ammo support company in the European theatre during WWII.
He said they lost about 40 of the 180 men in his company.

He punched a Sgt who was over KP because the cook threw a cleaver at a cat that slept with my grandfather for several weeks. The poor cat lost a hind leg from the incident and died shortly afterward.
He was demoted to pvt as punishment

He was in a foxhole when his intuition told him to move to another one. A few minutes later an artillery round landed right at his previous position. I would not be typing this had he stuck where he was.

He was off loading train cars during an air raid in France, when he swears someone or something pushed him causing him to lie prone as the rail car behind the one he was off loading exploded. He said he would not have survived if he had been upright.

Enjoyed reading about other members grandfather's so thought to share a bit.

The generation of U.S. WWII and Korean soldiers defined an era.

The word soldier in any language commands respect and instills fear.
For very obvious reasons.

Thanks for sharing.

My gramps was in WWII as well. At DDay. I never got to know him that well. All my pictures with him are from when I was quite young. He has been dead for awhile.

The Korean war is oft forgotten by many. I am friends with a 90 year old Korean war vet and he has some stories that's for sure.

Posted: 01 Oct 2019, 16:39 

3x3 eyes LD is dubbed.

Posted: 17 Oct 2019, 23:14 

Oh you are asking a lot :lol:

I know the CC was English, the LDG had English but a different style and also Japanese for GITS.

Gypsy has it and can tell us about the CC if I remember correctly about it but I no longer own it, its a great box to have in the collection.

I couldn't tell you about the LDG but it definitely has CC.

Posted: 18 Oct 2019, 18:44 

Might be getting too political here but if we really want to turn things around we need to go back to old policies of heavily taxing the ultra wealthy. I have no problem paying sales tax but if we want to invoke real change that is what we need.

Posted: 29 Oct 2019, 03:19 

There are so many Plasma displays with very odd resolutions and handling of various resolutions. If you get a great one for what you want it for, they really are sublime but there are many bad ones too. The one I have can technically take in 1080p (and then downconvert) for instance but it's awful.

Post subject: Hot Sale On Rightstuf
Posted: 03 Nov 2019, 20:11 

https://www.rightstufanime.com/sales-an ... liday-Sale

If you like old mecha there is a lot of good stuff here. I already have Patlabor (only $25 wtf) so I bought: Votoms (all three sets), Xabungle, Ideon and Glass Mask (only non-mecha in my order) for just $55 shipped.

Posted: 25 Nov 2019, 16:46 

Cracked open my Zatoichi box set and watched the first one last night. Solid samurai flick.

Posted: 17 Dec 2019, 15:43 

Sounds like Substance has really tried them all.

Zeta's point about the fbi warnings and what not has long been a pet peeve of mine. It was probably at its absolute worst on DVD when they put s****y anti-piracy ads on them. I bought the movie ffs. If I wanted to pirate it, I wouldn't be watching this anti-piracy ad and wasting my time. Kind of ironic...

My rankings

LD/BD: My top choices. Audio is excellent on both. BD is really perfect for audio, you can put basically whatever you want on there. Usually I go for the cheaper of the two as long as the BD isn't mangled in some way. Some weird corner cases where I prefer LD as well, or just want the LD.

DVD: Dirt cheap now is the main selling point. Audio frequently isn't great. For most people it will look better than LD on a modern display but I prefer the look of LD especially on CRT.

VHS: Last resort for things not available elsewhere.

VCD/UMD: Hell no.

I'm sure 4K is fine, it sounds like super BD but I don't have a set-up for it so I can't comment on it.

Posted: 24 Dec 2019, 00:24 

Viewed "The Mission" with Jeremy Irons, Robert Duvall, and a very young Liam Nesson.
True story about Jesuit missionaries and the Portuguese conquest utilizing slavery to power the "machine".

Utterly epic and ultimately tragically sad epitaph of colonial struggle from the indigenous perspective.

Check it out !

I had not heard of this before, I think I will indeed check it out.

Post subject: Re: Gen-lock help please
Posted: 25 Dec 2019, 00:59 

Black magic looks cool but 195 for that, gen lock and computer dedicated to do this I may just find the script translated in English and read it
once or twice before I watch the film.

OR pickup the film or series on DVD along with LD and run that with subs separately below with a second TV which may be cheaper???

I'm only interested myself for stuff that didn't make it to the U.S. or the release is practically unavailable.

Posted: 27 Dec 2019, 16:39 

https://www.rightstufanime.com/City-Hun ... -1-Blu-ray

City Hunter BD is up for pre-order. That and Honey & Clover is my February Discotek pre-order. :lol:

Posted: 30 Dec 2019, 21:16 

signofzeta wrote:
I didn’t even think of drugs. I was thinking of lolicon pron.

I wasn't going to say it so I was speaking generally. :lol:
Page 2 of 11 [ Search found 272 matches ]