It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 272 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 11 Mar 2020, 19:34 

If you have stuff with solid value online that is where I would sell it unless there is a thriving LD fanbase in your fleamarket area.

Posted: 11 Mar 2020, 19:35 

Everything looks like it survived transit.

Posted: 13 Mar 2020, 02:38 

Well said. Nice time to stay home and watch LD.

Posted: 20 Mar 2020, 17:06 

Seems like all LD player horror stories start with eBay.

Posted: 30 Mar 2020, 14:18 

The games are much, much better.

Post subject: Re: Angel Cop?
Posted: 02 Apr 2020, 13:59 

Perfect! I didn't spot it for some reason so thank you. I thought it was just the dub.

Right Stuff have it on their website for sale but as usual, international shipping to anywhere outside the USA just breaks hearts and souls. I'm getting it right now from WOW instead.

I did some more reading up this. The reason the Blu looks so soft is because of the source they used. Discotek used an original Betamax master which I think was a 1st gen tape from the original source; which was what? A broadcast Betamax as it wasn't shot on film?

Doesn't matter to me. It's highly doubtful we will ever see a better transfer of Angel Cop so I'll take what I can get. Is it 100% uncensored though? Taking the source tape in to account again my hunch is it is?

Probably a good time to pick up the Blu, I don't think the print run for this would be particularly high. Also, I'm drawing blanks on any LD's at all. Did find a Japanese DVD box set though!

Your welcome, hope you enjoy it.

It should be uncensored (I don't think Discotek has a history of censoring) but I don't have this particular BD to check.

As far as print run I was recently listening to a podcast with Justin Sevakis and he said some of their smaller titles are lucky to sell 1000 copies. Not sure if Angel Cop is in that range but it definitely re-affirmed that I should be buying anything from them that I want pretty quickly. He said stuff like Lupin pays for multiple other releases essentially.

Posted: 03 Apr 2020, 14:17 

I don't have any family or friends to speak of so what would satisfy me is actually being buried with all my stuff but I don't think that's within my means realistically (graves are already at a premium) so I plan a massive bonfire when I'm still healthy enough to give the instructions, yet close to death.

What I like about you is at least you are being honest and do not pretend to be somebody you are not ( "Oh, I have so many friends bla bla".). I don't have a lot of social contacts, either, but at least I have my parents who I have a very good relationship to and my wife who I am very happily married to. She never asks me for money and doesn't have any problems with my hobbies. She is an excellent cook ( she is Indonesian ) and I save a lot of money on buying food outside. I have a brother but I stopped talking to him because he is a prick. I have a daughter, too, but she lives in Macau with the family of my late first wife. They are quite wealthy and important people there but I simply do not belong to their world and I never wanted to anyway because it disgusts me. I'd rather be myself. I think their world is a fake one full of pretentious and superficial people and it is boring. Sometimes my wife complains that my records, laserdiscs and equipment take up so much space at home and i can actually understand that but most of the time she leaves me alone. I remember that a Western guy married to a Japanese woman here on this forum had to sell most of his laserdiscs to a local second hand shop for like 20 Yen a piece !!! because his wife wanted him to get rid of his collection. Now that sucks. I'd rather get divorced.
The important thing is to love yourself and have interests in life. I cannot emphasise strongly enough how important that is to have interests in life.
I just need enough to support my hobbies a bit, feed my family and travel a bit, nothing more.

I'll drink to that.

Anyone that claims for have more than a few close friends is probably lying. Where would they be when things get serious? The truth is you don't know until you get there.

Agree on having interests. It is interesting to me how many people are absolutely losing their minds during this shut down.

Posted: 03 Apr 2020, 16:02 

Muscle memory. People don't want to let stuff go for next to nothing, they'd rather keep it so it's not like there is a huge influx of supply when a BD comes out.

Posted: 04 Apr 2020, 13:26 

A few things

Forper I think that is the reason a lot of my romantic relationships got ended and I quit even trying. If someone thinks it's necessary to change me or my hobbies then they get shown the door. I'm actually pretty happy with the idea of never getting into a serious relationship again, helps with finances too. I also have absolutely no desire to have children which is a whole big issue for many women.

Confederate that reminds me of one of the situation with one of my brothers and his late ex wife. Not exactly the same but he was financially abused and she ultimately died not too long after they divorced. He got shafted with 10k in medical bills because he foolishly trusted her to file. She made sure to stay married while on a lengthy hospital visit. Her family was miserable too, it was mostly her mother pulling strings with a lot of things, I think.

People trying to live above their means is something you can and do see at any level. Just because someone has a lot of money doesn't mean they have financial sense. The father of a female acquaintance of mine several years back despite having a mid 6 figure annual income was deep in debt because he had to compete with other wealthier people in the area. The way I see it is money is simply a tool to get things I actually want and insure survival.

I found the story about Indonesia interesting as I've never been to that part of the world. I don't think the off topic stuff is that big of an issue. Especially now during this crisis, we are all doing a lot of thinking and reminiscing. Maybe more than usual. :)

Posted: 06 Apr 2020, 00:17 

Yamato on glorious LD subtitled with my tvone. Solid movie.

Posted: 06 Apr 2020, 22:59 

rein-o wrote:
Oh the CG, Yeah I have to stay away from these CGI films.

Yeah the actual first Lupin series is fine, though I do like the 2nd one more.

Posted: 09 Apr 2020, 21:56 

Really digging back into Kimagure Orange Road. I watched 18 episodes initially in a short span before getting caught up with other stuff some months back. Enjoying it a lot and hoping to finish it in the next week or so.

Posted: 10 Apr 2020, 17:27 

The world of cinema lost a good one today, Nobuhiko Obayashi passed away.

Posted: 11 Apr 2020, 03:40 

Oh I think the series is the best it can be on LD as it was a later release, I've seen the streaming and its lacking something in PQ

I know they had to use tapes for the BD and at this point the tapes are obviously quite old. If I ever saw the LD set for the right price, I'd pounce to at least compare.

Posted: 24 Apr 2020, 20:32 

I often wonder if Cruise will get his Cosby sort of turf out before he dies or after. It’s coming, eventually. I guess if he can keep people going to his movies and the Church can win it’s court battles he stays out of prison. Cosby’s biggest mistake was retiring.

Is it pretty well known that Cruise is a scumbag or something? I don't pay attention to celeb news but of course the Cosby story was so big I couldn't help but read about it.

yeah ok I need a copy of Top Gun now. Forgot how good the aerial scenes are

I have a copy you could have for shipping cost but I would imagine it would be cheaper for you to find a copy in AU or JP.

Posted: 25 Apr 2020, 22:57 

City Hunter Shinjuku Private Eyes

Now this is how you make a new entry in a classic franchise. Very enjoyable and has every that makes City Hunter what it is.

Posted: 30 Apr 2020, 20:26 

eBay is mostly good. I had someone the other day ask me 20 questions about a used DVD. It plays without error is all that really matters. That was the only weirdness recently, made a bunch of sales w/o any issue. Almost nowhere else can you sell many items and get the same amount of money even factoring in fees. I try posting things on multiple sites for less money and get next to zero real interest. 99%+ ends up on eBay.

Post subject: Re: What up.
Posted: 05 May 2020, 13:45 

Kurosawa is easily one of the great directors. One of my favorite Japanese directors along with Mizoguchi, Ichikawa and Obayashi.

Posted: 09 May 2020, 02:21 

I watched The Killing Fields this week. Oh my God. This film is so good. The actor who played the Cambodian journalist actually survived this crazy period in Cambodian history himself.
This was such an impressive film. It made you feel like you were actually there. How could anyone come up with a plan ? How can one kill one quarter of the entire population in a period of less
than four years ? How crazy is that ? They would kill anyone who would speak French or wear glasses. There is a scene where the leader in one of the camps asks the protagonist in French whether he would like
to have a cigarette and he pretends he doesn't understand. Knowing that he understands French would have been his death sentence.
The four years of Khmer Rouge rule in Cambodia are such a fascinating topic that we actually know so little of. The country did not have a real government, only a bunch of communists called the Angka that would
rule the country. There were hardly and foreigners who visited the country in those four years. I think I should read the book because I am certain the film omits of a lot of intersting stuff that can be found in the book
itself.

This looks interesting, I'll have to give it a watch sometime.

Posted: 11 May 2020, 22:02 

It's really not complicated. You want the original aspect ratio for any video content to get the entire picture. It is especially important with highly visual directors but there is no reason to get any cropped release. To do so might require some black bars on a display, get over it because it's infinitely better than lost picture or a stretched picture.

So I get where reino is coming from. This isn't a message that takes 45 minutes to deliver. I'm sure the video is fine and some people will find it useful, it's just not worth my time.

Posted: 13 May 2020, 17:49 

From what I can remember 2006 is when HD-DVD and Blu-ray really hit the scene. Literally everyone had a vcr back then so it makes sense that they were released up until that time. Just crazy to think they were pushing out movies in the wrong aspect ratio for that long.

I can thankfully say I have never seen that version of LOTR. It sounds dreadful.

Posted: 13 May 2020, 21:52 

I just watched Fried Green Tomatoes ( 1991 ) for the first time. I think it is excellent from beginning to end. They simply don't make films like this any more.
I enjoyed this more than Interstellar, Dunkirk and some other pretentious stuff combined. It is a simple and touching story about life and growing old with
stellar performances by everyone. Kathy Bates is wonderful and so is Jessica Tandy. The score is very good, too. It is a story about love, friendship, becoming a better
person, marriage crises, racism in the Deep South long before Martin Luther King, etc. It moved me a great deal. Excellent.

Great movie, one of my mom's favorites so I've seen it a few times.

Posted: 16 May 2020, 02:46 

It’s not my forum but I wouldn’t delete him. All that crap is an educational reminder for when the next guy comes around with whatever Ben Carson has.

This forum is great and %50 of what I get from it is totally unrelated to laserdisc. I study shut-ins, indoor kids, neets, James Mariokarts, etc in their natural habit and how slightly more normal people react to them.

Not too many "normal" people spinning LDs in 2020, I would imagine. I like the inmates at this particular asylum too.

Posted: 19 May 2020, 00:04 

Awesome. I added one myself as well as provided basically all the info for another. I always check the database when I get an LD off ebay, yaj etc to make sure it is listed. Really cool to still be adding stuff in 2020.

Posted: 01 Jun 2020, 21:20 

Just watched Crusher Joe The Movie on BD. You just don't see animation like this anymore outside of the highest budget movies.
Page 4 of 11 [ Search found 272 matches ]