It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 272 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 03 Jan 2021, 03:15 

rein-o wrote:
Yes, I'm jumping the gun but just can't stand the slang that nobody else uses, almost like the one who would try to get 5.1 on their headphones
if you ever saw those posts.

Have you ever seen jesuslovesgood and trippletopper in the same place? No? Really makes you think. :lol:

Posted: 10 Jan 2021, 19:21 

Yeah, its comparable to DVD(if you have a good setup) but who watches DVDs nowadays anyway?

Rein-o and people Zeta made fun of who their tv with s**t settings, don't care about aspect ratio only that there are no "black bars". :lol:

Post.

There is no convincing people at this point but this was a nice effort.

LD is a format for people who are already mail ordering their books, records, exotic tea, whatever.

The picture quality is truly very very low compared to a BR but with silent movies and anime OVAs BR is frankly overkill.

My favorite tea (sourced from Japan) is sold out right now and they have no idea when they will be able to get more. Thankfully I bought a lot last time.

With anime it really depends. BGC, Crusher Joe, Giant Robo, Cagliostro etc all look good enough to where I am very happy I have them in HD and look good on a 4K projector with a 100'' screen. Stuff like FotNS tv or Marmalade Boy? Those need to be watched on a smaller screen.

Posted: 11 Jan 2021, 18:00 

Some dude who’s bored and half as smart as he thinks he is (probably in IT) decides on a whim to “check out” Laserdisc. Great. Your first player arrived broken. You start an account here to complain about it. You may or may not keep trying...to me I translate that to “Some guy got bored and smashed a LD player for fun.” because to people like me who just want to keep watching decades old collections that’s the real end result of such a dumb temporary fling. These Raspberry Pi dweebs aren’t going to be spinning LDs in ten years in any scenario, but some people will...if a bunch of iPhone repairmen/AR15 enthusiasts haven’t force fed all the players to DHL that is.

I just love when that happens. All the advice is "buy within driving distance" and then said advice is ignored and they keep buying more players to arrive broken.

Posted: 11 Jan 2021, 20:10 

I just love when that happens. All the advice is "buy within driving distance" and then said advice is ignored and they keep buying more players to arrive broken.

That is the single most greatest advice when it comes to buying players; never ship it. :thumbup:

I've never had a bad player because of it.

Yep. Looking inside a player made me never even consider shipping. Way too many moving parts.

If lil old me located in Kansas can source 4 players I'd say it is pretty much not necessary to ship. I think the only tier that requires shipping is X9/X0 type stuff. I ended up with quite a range of players: CLD-2080, Proscan PSLD46, CLD-D504 and LD-S1. The only one I would consider low end on average is the 2080. The others while not ultra top tier are still quite nice with many features.

@rcarlson: I would have an eye out for a working back-up (or potentially upgrade, idk your player) locally. If you've got a lot of LDs you like watching, one player isn't enough imo. GL.

@cplusplus: I don't even like shipping video game consoles anymore. Even those often arrive dinged up or damaged when packed very well let alone packed poorly. LD players are much more complex and larger.

Posted: 17 Jan 2021, 18:24 

I see things got wild here lol.

@rcarlson: Welcome to lddb, I see you got to meet Zeta. This is pretty much how he is all the time.

@reino: Well, MD Geist is pretty much s**t. Can't really speak to the other one as I have not seen it. I remember continually passing on it even when on sale.

Macross Plus is definitely exceptional in regards to audio. That makes me want to get the LD eventually (I've got the US DVD). That is definitely a hallmark of the franchise. Overall probably about a 6.5 or a 7 for me. Decent sci-fi.

Now I'm tempted to check the 3x3 Eyes dub. I have the LD but watched it with Japanese audio.

LOGH is a favorite of mine as well. Too bad the BD is $800.

Personally I do not see how CCS is that much better than most anime, it was a solid Magical Girl anime. I learned long ago that people have different reasons to watch and it looks like it is tasuke's personal perfect anime. Nothing wrong with that at all. I'd probably put it third in its genre behind Nanoha and Madoka. However it is very different from those two despite being in the same genre.

Posted: 21 Jan 2021, 03:53 

The original issue dvd in the snap case is quite bad. The release that came out when the BD was released is a fair bit better iirc. Been awhile since I watched this movie though.

As a fan of the movie itself I would also recommend the BR. The DVD sucks and the LD doesn’t do it justice.

Dark movies need better formats/transfers than brighter movies do. Ponyo would look great as a PSP UMD, but Dark City or Angels Egg? Not as much.

I really need to get the Japanese BD of Angel's Egg at some point. I'd never pay for that bootleg floating around eBay.

Post subject: Re: Sega Saturn
Posted: 30 Jan 2021, 15:34 

For me, I'd rather just burn CDs.

Posted: 02 Feb 2021, 23:25 

I've had 5 of 6 players mailed with no issues, but all the posts here about repairs I would never do it again.

Either these sellers in America are just picking up cheap and flipping then refunding as they never knew how to test
or if you are lucky you pay the full price from a pro and they pack it well.

Compared to the average Japanese seller absolutely. I pack things rather well myself (pretty close to zero issues but sometimes USPS or whoever gets super rough) but I wouldn't want to ship an LD player. I did ship a VCR that made is safely to the UK. That one had me nervous just because if anything I just didn't want it to get destroyed...

Post subject: Re: Albegas / Cybernaut
Posted: 11 Feb 2021, 20:39 

I should specify I mean a fair bit less than eBay. Probably around $30 before shipping. I would test them of course.

Posted: 12 Feb 2021, 05:35 

Should be getting 6 of these. I want to keep one for myself so if that is the number, 5 will be available.

Posted: 13 Feb 2021, 19:01 

DVD audio is rubbish.

Posted: 15 Feb 2021, 03:17 

Getting 6 as expected and some other random LDs he had. Should be heading my way Tuesday but it's media mail (to keep the cost as low as possible) so it might take awhile before I have them. Will update when I have them.

Posted: 21 Feb 2021, 21:14 

Don't know if I'm posting this to the wrong place or not. But anyway.

I recently bought a Saturn for myself. Finally having enough of the 32x stopgap. (And definitely not because I'm afraid Segata Sanshiro is gonna kill me if I don't have one.)

Anyway the first game I'm planning on getting for it is definitely Virtua Fighter 2. The next game after that is going to be Tomb Raider. After that I'm planning on getting one of those action replay carts to make my Saturn region free. (the model that I got is the second European one)

Anyway what games should I be looking to get after that? Personally I'm mostly interested in fighting games (both 2d and 3d) and racing games. Off course I'm not just going to stick to those to genres.

Anyway hopefully I don't look like a dummy that posted this to the wrong place.

Are you planning to buy games only and not burn? This matters for my recommendations because while games like Elevator Action Returns are awesome, they are also rather pricey now.

Some that I recommend that should still be reasonable: Puzzle Bobble 3, Digital Pinball Necronomicon, Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators, Twinbee Deluxe Pack, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Outrun, Touge King of Spirits, Drift King 97, Road Rash, Vampire Hunter, Vampire Savior, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, King of Fighters 97, various Street Fighter games, Chase HQ.

Posted: 22 Feb 2021, 00:11 

Okay cool these are all games I really recommend.

Elevator Action Returns, Crows the Battle Action, Hyper Duel, Magic Knight Rayearth, Dragon Force, Keio Yugekitai, Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru, Sokko Seitokai: Sonic Council, Super Tempo, Tryrush Deppy, Blast Wind, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Astra Superstars, Death Crimson, Twinkle Star Sprites, Bulk Slash, Nekketsu Oyako.

All awesome games, all pretty unreasonable to buy now. I think I spelled them all right, but there could be some errors. The Saturn has tons of awesome games in general, it's a great console.

Posted: 22 Feb 2021, 02:09 

Sakura Wars is great. The fan translation is quite good.

Posted: 24 Feb 2021, 22:20 

Micomsoft is overrated and yes it would do nothing for LD. Their products are entirely game-centric.

Post subject: Re: A slippery slope
Posted: 24 Feb 2021, 22:28 

Another thing is, sometimes they are just cheaper at this point. I have a few Japanese films because the LD was like $10 and obviously the BD is going to look better but in those cases it was about $40. In general Japanese cinema is the bulk of my Criterions.

I have the Robin Hood LD zeta mentions and it is great. I've watched it multiple times.

Posted: 25 Feb 2021, 23:55 

Yeah the PC Engine is awesome. Bomberman 94 is one of my most played games.

Post subject: Re: A slippery slope
Posted: 26 Feb 2021, 01:07 

I recently paid half in shipping the value of some Dreamcast games I bought since there is still only fedex and dhl. Not ideal but for a couple of the games only one seller had them listed at all. Fun games but they haven't been popularized by some youtube channel yet.

Posted: 27 Feb 2021, 19:24 

strideristhebest wrote:
Is the DVD0 iscan ultra worth getting?

If it is cheap enough then yes. I wouldn't pay more than $50 but I've already got a lot of gear.

Posted: 27 Feb 2021, 20:08 

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/det ... 07&lang=en

Dokaban: Exciting games at Summer Koshien (1976) [COLC-3176~82] (link updated, please use the pre-formatted URLs)

Posted: 27 Feb 2021, 21:08 

Glad someone here got it. Shipping will surely be more than the set itself, probably double?

I'll post more as I see them in this thread.

Posted: 27 Feb 2021, 21:26 

Damn. I paid $220 with shipping for my Duo, not even that much more and much better. I would hold out.

Post subject: Re: Places other than eBay?
Posted: 28 Feb 2021, 01:38 

Have you tried the marketplace here? Sometimes it's more, other times less and you can always try making offers.

Posted: 02 Mar 2021, 21:49 

I bought from the shop here for the first time. A seemingly rot-free Starship Troopers, since there are no more on Ebay that aren't ridiculously priced. If I have a good experience I may just use this site when possible going forward, I'm getting tired of Ebay seller shenanigans.

Of the shops here... I've had nothing but great experiences with G and J Rarities and mikeystoyz. One USPS issue with a Laser Blazer shipment (out of many lol) that was promptly remedied. I would highly recommend all three.
Page 7 of 11 [ Search found 272 matches ]