It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 272 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 22 May 2018, 16:47 

Speaking of this OAV, it's getting a BD release from Animeigo. The KS was funded. There should be late backer options for those interested, and it will be on their webstore later.

Their releases of Otaku No Video and Bubblegum Crisis on BD were excellent and I expect the same here.

Post subject: Re: Lumagen Processors
Posted: 07 Jun 2018, 14:48 

Well the Duo and the Edge are basically identical. I think the only real difference is the color management the Duo has.

You are right about 240p being a vintage game thing. It's basically a trick. General explanation here if you are curious: https://www.hdretrovision.com/240p/

Posted: 03 Sep 2018, 15:06 

Yeah, if you have infinite amount of real estate to house all the broken players you like to collect.

Isn't this model pretty much a complete write-off at this point? Finding one that still works is like finding the actual Ark of the covenant.

Also sure it's cool but even when it does work the quality probably isn't very good.

Posted: 23 Oct 2018, 02:02 

Anything over 1lb going from the US costs an arm and a leg now. I've had it kill some deals recently.

Posted: 11 Nov 2018, 20:27 

I'm very pleased with my Duo for VHS, LD and DVD. Though mostly I still watch older content on an HD CRT. Duo is in my bedroom, and it can be nice to watch a light movie before going to bed.

Posted: 04 Jan 2019, 01:40 

Hana Yori Dango - used to get fansub VHS tapes of this, but stopped after I hit some hard economic times. Just picked up the DVD box set. Good if sometimes overly dramatic shoujo series in the "slice-of-life" genre.

This is in fact the best soap opera. It's really something you can only watch once, but what a ride it is.

That’s the way old anime looks. Crappy. Frame jitter. Dirty cells that have air trapped under them. Massively inconsistent color. If you need the blurr of LD to enjoy cartoons made 30 years ago on slave wages then by all means dig in. I don’t mind all the flaws BR brings out but then I usually buy theatrical releases on BR. TV anime and most OVAs are really going to show their seams at 1080p. It’s got nothing to do with the mastering most of the time.

Some old anime is pretty stunning on BD but you are correct that some of it just can't really be saved/helped. It really depends what it is, high cut OVAs look gorgeous. Older tv series that were getting churned out as fast as possible with not great animators to begin with, that stuff definitely suffers.

Posted: 04 Jan 2019, 14:34 

Anime without a spec of dirt on it is pretty rare. Ghibli, Oshii, in that caliber sure but virtually all OVAs and TV episodes have some defect somewhere until digital took over. If what you were doing’s flaws were small enough to not be visable on 18” TV there was zero point it being cleaner. Total time that human hands touch a cel in the 80s anime trenches was sometimes less than five minutes. 1950s Disney was far far from Japan.

Definitely agree. Even much of Japan's old live action films are in much worse shape than their Hollywood counterparts.

Posted: 05 Jan 2019, 14:39 

I am pretty sure DVD still outsells BD.

Posted: 07 Jan 2019, 04:49 

Pretty much agree with movies being left alone. In particular b&w movies should be left b&w.

Posted: 26 Jan 2019, 14:43 

Learning Japanese is a valid option.

Posted: 29 Jan 2019, 04:02 

I think all TVs still have CC but maybe not. For my bedroom I use an 1080p monitor because they don't make good tvs at 24'' anymore. So that doesn't have CC.

Most of those B&W movies I got I haven't watched since I did so with my grandmother (RIP) on VHS tapes. In addition to just being good movies, they are going to bring back a lot of memories.

Post subject: Re: Best quality Laserdiscs
Posted: 04 Feb 2019, 04:50 

Macross Do You Remember Love.

Posted: 23 Feb 2019, 04:43 

Come to think of it when I was starting to watch them not too long ago I believe I stopped after the 2nd one. It was better than the first iirc but I had no desire to continue.

Posted: 28 Feb 2019, 18:52 

Oh, then you start messing with it its yours.
Either return it or its yours.
If I sold you something like that I would never take it back after you start messing with it.
That's why they used to have those stickers on some electronics to void warranty.

Certainly contact the seller first to see what they want to do.

I doubt this is expensive enough that they would want to foot a repair bill but that is an option. I worked it out with the seller I bought my Parasound HCA 2200 Mark II from because they didn't want to be out shipping twice and have an amp that needed repairs. I made sure to get a fully itemized repair bill from the shop which I scanned and sent them so they knew I wasn't just making it all up. I think they ended up with about $400 in pocket instead of spending probably $200+ in shipping and having a busted amp that way. Also since I am polite I made sure to not file a SNAD claim on them first thing and we avoided any kind of mark on their eBay account.

Posted: 01 Mar 2019, 17:02 

Zeta is grumpy but pretty much correct. On my last order from G&J I tossed in a few cheapy movies just because I'm already paying enough for shipping. Out of the loads of LD titles out there, most domestic releases are pretty cheap. He nailed it with "music related, imports, Criterion, anime, or some sort of special interest."* Special interest covers a wide range but I would say definitely releases that are collectible for one reason or another and then stuff like Star Wars and The Matrix. Star Wars because of it's raw unedited nature and The Matrix because it's not color ruined with green tint. There are other examples as well of course those are two of the big ones.

*The only LD movies I've ever bought individually are anime, Criterion and foreign films.

And he is right in that your best bet is just listing the titles here if you want it done fast. You said there are not many and you will get enough honest posters to reply and let you know what is and isn't valuable. You could even let us know your threshold for if a movie is worth selling or not and maybe someone would be interested in the bulk as well if you'd be willing to ship it. While value is an inexact science I would bet almost everyone here could tell you if each disc is worth say, at least $15 or not. Cheers.

The stats on the site that admin referenced are good as well. Easy to check, much moreso than eBay.

Post subject: Re: Ripping LDs
Posted: 06 Mar 2019, 18:35 

Should have my capture card tomorrow, will be interesting to compare. I'd think it would produce a better result.

Also I doubt I am going to use it for this purpose but I did finally get a serial adapter I needed to remote control my Lumagen with an old Laptop. I tinkered with the settings and it's wonderful. So now I know I can easily sink down the cost for a remote. I didn't want to do that if there was a chance the unit was just bad.

Post subject: Re: Gypsy's LD Musings
Posted: 20 Mar 2019, 20:28 

Really enjoyed the concert LD Shizuka Kudo Rise Me '93.

Submitted a lot of info for it into the database and will get a cover picture when I figure out a way to do that well.

Posted: 29 Mar 2019, 23:35 

Face Off is one of those so terrible it's awesome movies imo.

Posted: 19 Apr 2019, 22:54 

I've been reaaaally sick lately so I have been watching Lupin Part 2. It's a great choice because it is enjoyable but also because it doesn't matter if I pass out which has happened a couple times.

Posted: 29 Apr 2019, 02:05 

Kagemusha: The Shadow Warrior (1980) [1109-70] . Thoroughly enjoyed the film, but not this 1982 PDO disc - it's fairly soft (from a 16mm print?), my first disc's badly rotted, and whoever mastered this was clearly struggling to make the film comprehensible in pan-and-scan -- it's both slightly letterboxed and slightly horizontally compressed. (And slightly rotated, although I suspect that wasn't deliberate!) The beautiful costumes and staging shine through occasionally, though, and the subtitles aren't bad. So I'll be keeping an eye out for a better release of it...

Great movie. A shame about your disc. The BD is excellent and I recommend it.

Posted: 04 May 2019, 14:40 

I'd definitely try locally for awhile before resorting to eBay. Even if someone packs well there is always a risk.

I've got the two players I use for $10 and $175 (with a ton of LDs even if they LDs were valued at only a dollar each the player was $75 or less I don't remember the total number). The $10 one doesn't have as good of CAV features or digital audio out but it was $10 and works.

Also a note be sure to search for laserdisc (correct) and laser disc (incorrect but people type it this way all the time). You'll get more results checking for both if the site is picky in how it searches I know this was an issue on craigslist.

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Posted: 11 May 2019, 23:21 

Thanks rein-o! Watching Fast Money tonight in a couple hours with some friends.

Posted: 26 May 2019, 22:59 

Watched the Operation Condor movies recently. The BD release is rubbish.

Posted: 12 Jul 2019, 13:17 

I can't stand Chevy Chase for some reason.
Page 1 of 11 [ Search found 272 matches ]