It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 272 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 25 Aug 2020, 20:37 

My problem is more so availability. A lot of the stuff I would love to have is anime that is probably sitting in a junk shop in Japan.

Posted: 26 Aug 2020, 21:51 

Your Name.

Posted: 28 Aug 2020, 03:44 

Rashomon

Great movie. I can't really say anything that hasn't been said but it's a great examination of "truth" and human nature.

Posted: 06 Sep 2020, 21:08 

That was great.

Posted: 07 Sep 2020, 15:33 

The BD for Cowboy Bebop is amazing and like $20 (with patience). For that reason alone I wouldn't even look at the LD. If it's on BD, I view the LD as a collector piece.

It is cool that Bebop got released on LD though.

Posted: 19 Sep 2020, 00:55 

Discotek is using the Domesday to make blu rays of Project A-ko. I'll be pre-ordering those.

Posted: 19 Sep 2020, 02:10 

Yeah it's lost. The thing about the LDs at this point is the price, these Blus will probably be cheaper. Hell you can't even always find the US LDs for sale.

Posted: 24 Sep 2020, 22:24 

I got it for $9 in the blowout along with the Votoms stuff and Ideon. Basically no one wanted all that stuff, hence the clearance prices. The quality is really bad compared to what I usually see from Discotek (esp more recent releases) but it was all so cheap that it's hard to care too much.

Posted: 25 Sep 2020, 14:31 

I have some of these too, though different wood/color. the ones I have were 100% from a Karaoke bar, as I bought them off the original owner and talked to him about Karaoke and LD.

Posted: 01 Oct 2020, 18:01 

The problem with the LD is that you can't find them for sale. Or when you do, people ask $40.

@reino: That's a problem with a lot of anime though. Almost nothing old is from the original materials. Usually involves tapes, especially for old series.

Posted: 16 Oct 2020, 15:03 

GE999 definitely has some substance about life there as well.

GTO is funny, I haven't seen it in many years. I have the old Tokyopop sets. Discotek set is probably better but it would be time/effort to swap, so meh.

Crusher Joe is incredible on BD. Not sure when exactly the DVD release was but it's probably pretty good given the quality of the BD.

Posted: 01 Nov 2020, 00:12 

Bloody legend.

Posted: 06 Nov 2020, 17:59 

i recently sat through James Cameron's infamous ALITA; BATTLE ANGEL, and... it really wasn't all that awful,
at least by the standards of the dismally low bar that HOLLYWOOD Anime and Video Game-based film adaptions traditionally set.

indeed, i found it intriguing enough to want to see the original BATTLE ANGEL ALITA Anime, so i found a copy,
along with an affordable (for once!!) U.S. MANGA CORPS DVD edition of the full ARIEL series,
yet one more item to finally strike off my long-standing Anime Bucket List...

The thing about these old MANGA and Anime Works releases is many are very hard to find now, but also the interest level in them is very low. So I try to be as patient as possible. I had not heard of that Ariel OAV, so I added it to my own list.

Posted: 08 Nov 2020, 18:21 

Did the disc look rough? Sometimes discs are just defective. It happens very rarely but I've had a handful of DVDs over the years that looked perfect but just would not play.

Posted: 06 Dec 2020, 15:00 

Started Fist of the North Star. This is going to take awhile.

Yep, first part is really good but I think I stopped around the 45th episode when it was streaming on crunchy roll for free.
Then I picked up a cheap bootleg DVD got to around the 15th episode and sold it.

I think I had posted stuff about trying to stay away from series, then I picked up gto and got into it but I'm only about half way through
trying to finish watching my LD anime I picked up and the other films I have on DVD.

A friend of mine that has seen it all warned me that it basically grinds to a halt at a couple points. I was wondering because the first 10 episodes or so that I've watched it has been moving fairly briskly. I knew they couldn't keep that up for 151 (!!!) episodes.

I generally prefer stuff in the 26-52 episode range. Cobra and Hanasakeru Seishounen are right in that sweet spot. I still need to finish GE999. I really enjoy it, just a lot to watch.

Posted: 06 Dec 2020, 21:55 

Got a Panasonic TC-P50ST50 to replace my old plasma. A marked improvement.

Posted: 09 Dec 2020, 17:58 

I buy loose leaf tea almost exclusively still. The only bagged tea I buy is in medium sized sachets for brewing cold.

Posted: 15 Dec 2020, 17:07 

VHS was acceptable when it's all you knew/had. Agree with Zeta that matching gear with other gear of the time is always going to be a lot less complicated and yield better results. I'd rather watch LD on my HD CRT than my 4K projector.

Posted: 17 Dec 2020, 02:00 

I would concur with that as well.

Even in LD’s heyday, it was far from being the perfect format. Always had to deal with laser rot (well... we still have rot on DVD and Blu ray), pressing imperfections, machines that needed tune-ups, and the somewhat complicated nature when changes to the format were made (e.g.: external decoders for CX & Digital Sound and the introduction of AC3 & DTS).

DVD and Blu ray are literally plug and play for the most part.

So for anyone deciding they want to get into LD now, gotta learn to be patient as well as accepting that there are imperfections.

This is pretty much what I was getting at. If you want a no fuss solution that works great, DVD/BD/4K is the way to go. BD can be done on a rather cheap budget now and DVDs cost next to nothing in many cases.

I enjoy LD for what it is.

Posted: 17 Dec 2020, 22:30 

I have no doubt they are making money but it's probably not as much as some people think. Did you guys see the leaked info on licenses and what ADV paid for them? I would imagine by working with older content (in some cases Japan cares SO LITTLE that Discotek is releasing the first BD of it anywhere in the world including Japan) that most of their licensing fees aren't that bad but it's difficult to make money with a large amount of anime. Hanasakeru Seishounen is a fantastic anime that reminds me good things are still being made but I doubt they made much on it at all.

I would expect that A-Ko will make them a fair bit of money, seems to be quite popular plus they get the double dip from many people having already released it on DVD. That's something which won't be a thing in the future, as they have abandoned DVD completely. They even reiterated that on their twitter recently.

Posted: 23 Dec 2020, 23:45 

**** Dejoy. I will miss the USPS if it does go away. I was more than fine with it being subsidized by taxes.

I'm sending a package with a sizable value (after Christmas) and it saddens me but I will use UPS, I just can't risk USPS right now.

Post subject: Re: Bartender
Posted: 27 Dec 2020, 20:45 

I'm pretty excited for the Megazone bluray.

I don't want remakes/reboots of anything lol. They'd probably be awful.

Posted: 28 Dec 2020, 03:48 

Yeah if you aren't into games I can definitely see not wanting to have a CRT. For gaming it's an absolute must imo. I had and still have most solutions for hooking them up to other gear. They all fall short but are usable in a pinch.

I had a rear projection tv for awhile, ended up giving it away but it saw good use first.

Post subject: Re: Bartender
Posted: 29 Dec 2020, 16:04 

Yeah I'm a lot more tolerant of old bad animation for w/e reason. Like take Marmalade Boy, that's a 76 episode tv shoujo that was churned out non-stop. It very much looks not great and I'm not surprised Discotek went with SDBD. I have the old tokyopop dvds.

I'll have to give Touch a look.
I got some young twenty-something who was streaming on Twitch into Marmalade Boy a few months back. He was asking his meager viewership to recommend him anime he'd never heard of to watch on stream, and he went with my suggestion and got him hooked on it. Anime doesn't have to look great to be great, it's like anything else, the story and characters are more important than anything else.

Personally only owned the first half of the series (box sets 1 & 2) from the original Tokyo Pop release, so splurged gladly on the far cheaper Discotek "Complete TV Collection: Volume 2" DVD release when it got discounted last year. It's a series I don't mind giving a general recommendation for since it has a pretty broad appeal if someone will simply give it a chance.

The quality of the animation isn't a deal breaker for me coming up in the 80's & 90's with Robotech and other non-Japanese animation. The market today spoils everyone with high expectations for cinematic quality animation out of virtually everything with few comprehending that not every studio nor production project has ludicrous amounts of money to invest in such a high quality production consistently.

I would agree with that. For me I was trying to convey when it's an average show, the animation can be a tipping point. Generally when some bad cg pops up.

Marmalade Boy if you like dramas, is one of the all-time shojo from what I've seen so far. Hana Yori Dango is the best of course but MB is very good.

The MB Volume 3 release is one of those mythological DVDs. There might not even be one up for sale on the internet at any given time (currently there is not). I'm glad that such a thing is no longer gating people from having the series on physical disc. I really don't much care about the "value" of my discs so I'm always happy to see new releases. The only reason I know is because something was hard to get, typically with me lucking into it. The Cat Girl Nuku box set was selling for $150+, but tanked after Discotek put it out on SDBD. I would love for https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slayers-Complete-Movies-OVAs-Collection-Anime-DVD-ADV/164188579680?hash=item263a66e760:g:t-AAAOSwYwBesy2o to become worthless, I'd never sell mine anyway. Not sure what is going on with Slayers, Japan was planning a BD and then canceled it. :(

Posted: 31 Dec 2020, 02:26 

But I have seen the modern Star Trek films

I just hate them. I'd rather watch ten episodes of Star Trek TNG in a row then watch a single one of these new Star Trek films. Star Trek TNG is great and so are DS9 and Voyager.

Watched them once myself, never again.

Whereas there are some TNG episodes I will just randomly watch again. I need to give Voyager a proper watch. DS9 rules.

Just viewed "ALIENS" special collection with tons of extra footage.
Great movie to revisit as 2020 winds down.

Happy New Year to everyone in the membership worldwide !

Great film. Nice to see you around, firehorse.
Page 6 of 11 [ Search found 272 matches ]