It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 01:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 127 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 15 Dec 2011, 16:29 

DiscoVision's rotted very early in the packaging, so if it's not rotted now, it won't rot. When I lived in New Mexico, I had virtually no problems with rot, even Sony DADC America titles were/are fine (I just played my DADC copy of Contact the other day and its still perfect). But now that I live in Missouri, with very high humidity, I've had some good discs rot, like my Japanese import 8-inch pressing of "Twist Of Fate" - it was perfect at first, now it's rotted. And I only bought it a year or so ago.

I have some early PAL discs that have turned a bronze color and have what look like coffee stains under the surface - they were clear and clean when new. I don't have a PAL player though, so I can't say if they would still play or not.

Rot always manifests itself as red & blue speckles. Black/White speckling is either tape master errors or pit defects due to a missing half-cycle of the FM carrier - that's a 'pressed in' or mastering defect and won't get worse. Snits (rolling black/white lines) are due to either surface dirt or dust/contaminates under the disc surface and are a pressing defect - and won't get worse.

Your ability to see any of the above defects depends on the frequency response of your player and television - and if you have a good comb filter. The better each is, the easier it is to see the defects. Also, some discs are just pressed 'noisy" and actually look best through a "Channel 3" RF input on a CRT set - the high frequency losses from the RF transmission make most pressing defects much less visible since RF is limited to only 330 lines horizontally and that's only if your set has a comb filter. If it's a notch filter set, then horizontal resolution will be around 3MHz, 260 lines or so. About VHD Video Disc quality.

Oh, and cleaning a disc with Windex won't hurt it a bit. I've done that for 30 years and never had a problem. Pioneer even officially recommended Windex or "Clean & Shine", which I don't think is made anymore.

Posted: 22 Jan 2012, 04:32 

Laserdisc fans seem to think laserdisc rot can develop over time, it doesn't. It happens at the pressing stage and usually manifests itself within a few months. A year at the outset. It's impossible for it to develop later. The "usual suspects" are well documented and if you have a disc now and it plays fine, it'll stay fine. If it has laserdisc rot, it's been there since day one. Minor speckles are not rot but either faults on the original pressing or inclusion. If you have a laserdisc with laserdisc rot, it's simply unplayable.

Posted: 24 Jan 2012, 15:27 

Having bought many second hand collections over the years (in order to cherry pick titles to build my own collection), i've come across all of the usual suspects. Most of them were pressed at the dreaded SONY DADC US plant. I'm a serial Sony hater to this day, just because of the way they handled (or didnt, as the case may be) a replacement / return scheme for defective discs. i.e. - they didn't. No company would be allowed to practice in this way today, so goodness knows how they got away with it 15 or so years ago.

I've never found a decent copy of a US pressing of Eraser or Starship Troopers, for example - and i've gone through dozens. Luckily, there's usually an exceptional Japanese pressing of the same title available, as is the case with these two.

In fact, the only Japanese rotters I have had are a very small number of early Pioneer pressings, way fewer than my US discs. Sadly, the US rot figures are usually artificially bumped up by the crappy DADC discs. All of my late (1995+) Japanese discs have been exceptional quality.

The 'coffee staining' that some people mention has also manifested itself on my PDO UK PAL pressings - it's quite common for some of the early PAL laservision discs to turn bronze in colour over their lifetime - some play absolutely fine.

None of my discs have developed rot on the shelf - like others, if it had rot when I bought it, it still has - but none seemed to have developed it during my ownership. Let's hope it stays that way! I'm sure it will.

All the best.

Posted: 27 Mar 2018, 17:56 

Haven't had that issue, but I did have a funny one today.
Sold a book for 4 bucks and the buyer didn't see that I didn't offer free shipping, he then asked me to just ship it for 3.99 and offer free shipping since he could have bought this same book from other sellers who offer free shipping.

:eh:

I told him that I was not Walmart and I couldn't offer free shipping as it would cost me the same price as I sold the book.

Posted: 19 May 2018, 00:00 

Off the top of my head I can’t think of any special features on the 504 that you can’t use with other decks. The D/A and L/R buttons may be the “new style” (ie: one button instead of two) or old but that’s the only potential issue I can think of.

The 504 is a nice machine. The video is just OK but from my experience it’s a tough machine and it has all the “must” features like Both Side Play and digital audio but without a high price.

Posted: 19 May 2018, 18:46 

It has a karaoke function - make sure this is turned off!

Posted: 19 May 2018, 19:05 

:lol:

Many years ago I used to work in Hi-Fi shops selling players, some of which had the voice cancellation mode for doing karaoke with normal music LD's and CD's. Your 'problem' sounded just like that and a quick check of the manual confirmed this player has the feature.

You can get the whole instruction manual here http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-D504/CLD-D504-EN_Scan.pdf

Posted: 19 May 2018, 20:01 

That remote should work for you, it's for the slightly older 503 model, most of the pioneer LD remote codes are the same with a few exceptions.

As for the audio that remote has the audio channel button and the separate d/a switch button, I think that's the same setup as the 504, it should work fine for your player.

Posted: 23 May 2018, 16:07 

When buying a certain box set it was a dollar to yen price, for example 120,000 yen was 120 dollars.

120,000 yen is closer to $1200
Yes, sorry it was early.
12,000 would have been 120.00

And as zeta said, its all true, the Aliens have taken over the LD market :lol:

But seriously, these things are worthless to others, only the very special few who troll the internet or ebay.
If you take these to an auction house or flea market you will be lucky to get a buck each and that will be after someone cherry picks those
titles to sell on the internet since they have a little more money than the fleamarketeer who has no internet connection and are just going day
by day making endsmeet.

Posted: 30 May 2018, 02:59 

Yes, there is an extensive discussion here: DVD Recorders with 3D Comb Filters

Julien

Post subject: Re: Lumagen Processors
Posted: 07 Jun 2018, 13:47 

Substance has made some very informative posts about this exact thing.

In short the 2124/2144 & old HDQ have the best comb filters. Try searching for his posts (Sorry but I'm not doing it for you :) )

Posted: 08 Jun 2018, 02:43 

Long story short: there are more Laserdisc video games aimed at the home market than most people realize but they are all varying degrees of expensive, unreliable, and unfun.

I agree that it would be a good sort of thing to build into the site. Much more relevant that HDDVD, for example. It’s a murky world with few collectors and high prices on everything. I don’t think any of our regulars know more than I do and I don’t know enough to start filling in a database.

Regarding your Laseractive question: the modules pop out in seconds and they cost hundreds each so I would be more concerned with getting them than the pain of swapping them out. Fair warning though: the Laseractive sucks. I wish it didn’t, but it does. :( For the record I am a huge fan of this exact era of gaming and I own and love all four systems from the 16 bit era as well as Laserdisc but I still don’t think the system is worth the space it takes up let alone Neo Geo sized prices for every single terrible game.

Post subject: Re: Best quality Laserdiscs
Posted: 05 Jul 2018, 13:46 

I only saw the PILF-2361 version. DTS version should be even better as it is released 1 year after.

Post subject: Re: DA converters?
Posted: 17 Sep 2018, 22:22 

Yeah. I almost never used the audio out of my TV for anything. It’s good for taping stuff or...watching actual broadcast TV which I don’t recomend anyone do.

Post subject: LD rating
Posted: 14 Nov 2018, 03:26 

It's too bad that we have to wait for 3 rating to see what people think about a LD version.
I know that 1 people rating is not the best, but it's better than nothing to have one point of view.
And many LD will never be rating more than once, because not so much people has the LD, and even if they have it they hardly take the time to rate it.

Posted: 03 Dec 2018, 20:34 

The bottom line is each seller sets their own shop policies.

Shipping costs are what they are. Unless you have a seller that is a total douche, marking up the shipping costs OVER what it costs to actually pack and ship something, there really is no getting around these fees. Boxes aren't free, packing peanuts are not free, bubble wrap isn't free, driving to the post office isn't free, online postage (like Stamps.com) isn't free. Some (like me) will reuse boxes and packing if they are still in good condition and I don't charge more than a couple $$ for "handling".

Merchants always pay a fee for credit card processing and it used to be against the policies by the credit card companies to charge the buyer for those fees. PayPal is no different. It's cool they offer a "free" way to do it (if sourcing from a bank account), but I've always viewed these things as the cost of business.

Posted: 14 Dec 2018, 21:12 

In almost every situation, if they don’t have the negative (or don’t care to find it) then Blu-ray is totally pointless. I have Flashback 2012 on LD and BR and IMHO most of us here have LD setups that would make the LD look better than the BR does. When they only have an LD master there really isn’t anything that a huge publisher can do that hardcore fans can’t do themselves at home.

SDBR makes perfect sense to me if the show is going to be packaged as cheaply as possible or if they only have a Betacam or D2 master. A proper anime BR like Discotek’s Unico will make you feel like you’re finally getting glasses you’ve needed your whole life. If they just quadruple the pixels of the same source then...well, your TV already does that for free.

Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 01:14 

Found this article in an old issue of Video Magazine of a tour of the Pioneer LDCA Pressing Plant in Carson, California. Scanned it in so you all can read too.

http://img18125.imagevenue.com/loc564/th_165292510_LD_Pressing_Plant_1_122_564lo.jpg
http://img18114.imagevenue.com/loc347/th_165292927_LD_Pressing_Plant_2_122_347lo.jpg
http://img18117.imagevenue.com/loc217/th_165293766_LD_Pressing_Plant_3_122_217lo.jpg

Article confirms what Publius stated in another thread when I asked about what was format was used for the master which they pressed LDs from. At this point it was D-2 Digital Composite tape.

Post subject: Re: Showgirls
Posted: 11 Jan 2019, 02:36 

but "who did it first" is less important than "doing it good".

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Posted: 30 Jan 2019, 19:53 

Yeah I always found Oshii pretentious. Patlabor 2 and GiTs are good examples of his pretention to me. I think I saw Angels Egg on a fan tape once. I can't really remember but I wouldn't mind watching it again. I can do art movies but why let him take over a franchise like Patlabor or a Shirow comic?

The Appleseed OVA from the '80s isn't even close to the manga but at least some of the look of the comics is there. The later CGI Appleseed is unbearable to me.

The best Shirow adaption is still Black Magic M66 imo.

You think anything aimed at a 100 IQ adult is pretentious. Anything trying to take anything to anyplace but stuff you memorized when you were 8 and toy tanks. What was your major, btw? If you have a BFA and you want to call Oshii pretentious that's fine. If you've never done anything in your life creatively that you're proud to call your own then maybe you don't have any scope of what you're talking about.

Posted: 02 Feb 2019, 15:09 

Why is it so hard to understand that something (anything) becomes valuable when 2 or more people are willing to fight (bid) over it. The scary thing about some of these prices is how long will there be 2 or more people (with necessary funds) willing to fight over a title to maintain it's value. Bottom line is pay what you must for something you really want, just don't look at it as an investment because as soon as 2 or more people are gone so is it's value.

Posted: 03 Feb 2019, 22:32 

How is your back :lol:

Managed to get it out of its car to its final destination. I have a feeling if it had the side panels on it, that extra 2lbs would have been too much :lol:

$600 is a lot of money. I feel you either need to be affluent or have an unhealthy obsession with LD. I'm the latter. Yes, it does look ridiculously good.

I'm hoping there are no issues with it since I was only able to spot check it. No telling if this was moved improperly before I got there. :|

Post subject: Re: Best quality Laserdiscs
Posted: 05 Feb 2019, 02:07 

gypsy wrote:
Zeta, what would you say are some of the best looking anime discs of GOOD movies/oavs? Disregarding DYRL and GITS as I already have those.

I will make a topic for this.

Posted: 05 Feb 2019, 03:04 

Zeta, what would you say are some of the best looking anime discs of GOOD movies/oavs? Disregarding DYRL and GITS as I already have those.

Let’s just make this thread about good picture quality anime LDs regardless of the quality of the program since it’s unlikely to get out of hand either way.

The aforementioned Ghost in the Shell: Premium Box (1995) [BEAL-921] set is a good one. While they did use cels on this movie the master was digital so it has that going for it. It’s also multilingual.

Picture quality on Macross The movie : Perfect Edition (1984) [BEAL-448] isn’t super awesome, IMHO but it’s pretty good. It’s certainly a must have disc. The CAV functionality alone makes it an essential Macross fan item. A movie worth watching at 1/8 speed if there ever was one.

Bubblegum Crisis: Complete Collection (1987) [BVLL-539] is one I picked up a few years ago having completely missed it back in the day. Picture quality is WAY better than the 80s pressings or the Animego versions. Everything is included, even the Bali video. Even the book is good. Easily one of the best box sets out there. Again, video quality is as good as it gets here. I can’t stress that enough.

One of the biggest box sets out there that isn’t a TV series or sports is Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection (1996) [TKLO-50180] . Again video quality here is superb. Publius was under the impression that the remaster was done in HiVision for a never released edition on that format (lord, can you even imagine what that would have cost? Then or now?) but only a regular NTSC release made it. There isn’t a lot of printed material in the white satin wrapped box with foil letters but what is inside is every Ghibli movie then ever released plus Nausicaa, the TV special I Can Hear the Ocean, the On Your Mark music video, a ton of random TV promos they did. There is also a Making Of for the movie Only Yesterday and a literal fireside chat with Miyazaki and the actual holy s**t OMG Akira Kurosawa. Damn! This is my favorite box set ever. The covers are all new. Whisper of the Heart and On Your Mark have their theatrical 5.1. Dolby tracks now. All discs have new art. Mononoke isn’t on here since that came out later. IMO it doesn’t belong here. It belongs in some Blu-ray box that begins with that movie, IMO.

If you get a first print version of Mobile Suit Gundam: Memorial Box Part 1 [BELL-1201] it will come with a big outer box to also house Mobile Suit Gundam: Memorial Box Part 2 [BELL-1202] giving you a massive box. This was, amazingly, the first time the TV version of Gundam was ever for sale. (Most fandom was and is focused on the compilation movies). Being released in the Winter of 98/99 you’d be right in assuming they made an HD master for this and use the same thing for the DVD. The covers are VERY pretty in this one. All new cel art (digital cels anyway...) which was also reused for the DVDs but here it’s all square and massive like it should be. This show doesn’t have the most amazingly clean animation ever seen but the video quality of this release is as good as it could possibly be, I’m pretty sure. The packaging is first rate as well. One thing I like about Bandai’s Gundam TV release is that in the gatefold there are chapter marks and screen shots of every episode on those discs so if you’re looking for that scene where your third favorite character dies is way easier to find than it would be with more modern packaging.

Speaking of Gundam, video quality varies with theatrical and TV releases. Char’s Counterattack kinda sucks, sadly. Usually the OVAs are pretty nice. With 0083 they made a big deal about using D2 tape and it’s in CAV so quality is super high. Every episode is available individually starting with the Boobytrap long Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory vol.01 (1991) [BEAL-421] . The earlier OVA, 0080, has a different sort of feel to it. Whereas 0083 was about quick action and...a lot of robots...0080 is more subtle. There’s a lot of detail to the backgrounds and stuff and it shines as an LD in a different sort of way. That word people use a lot here, “filmic” really applies.

I’m sure we can add a bunch more.
Page 1 of 6 [ Search found 127 matches ]